• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UBC-Overture 3-Vancouver, BC-Nov 7th 2009:Melee, Brawl, Street Fighter 4

TwilightShadow

Smash Journeyman
yea I'm gonna have to agree that's pretty rediculous...
I'll try to keep that in mind, the issue is that melee isn't generating as many players as SFIV and brawl put together (or even SFIV alone for that matter). The schedule basically has 4 time slots (2 time slots which are short and 2 which are long) I've been told to give the 3-6 timeslot to the game that has the most attendance... and as of the cutoff date, it seems that SFIV was beating melee by quite a margin (at least until there was a rush of people that signed up last minute... they didn't even sign up themselves so that didn't seem like they cared very much, and when i talked to a few people like tony and tiep, they weren't actually committed, they just wanted the discount.)

James, the CVGA president was aware of that so thats most likely why the schedule stayed the way it did.

Igcoris

Smash Journeyman
So the times for melee really can't be changed? I'm going to hate waiting, then warming up again after 7 hours, especially after being tired from the wait. I might just miss doubles like some people are thinking.

sigh

LiStme

Smash Cadet
eric and i decided we like the current times, it gives us more warm up = ) i need atleast 5 hours of tech skill practice to perform well... so the times are so good for me

Igcoris

Smash Journeyman
eric and i decided we like the current times, it gives us more warm up = ) i need atleast 5 hours of tech skill practice to perform well... so the times are so good for me
It takes me like an hour or so to warm up, so I'll become rusty and then I have to re-warm up again unless I play for the whole 7 hour span and tire myself out -_-. You guys are homo.

Patooty

Smash Ace
I honestly dont know if I'm gonna go if times don't change. Waking up for doubles is like waking up at 9AM, and then being really tired playing doubles, and then waiting a whole day for singles. Also I think a lot of people will skip doubles now. I'm thinking of skipping doubles myself, but considering that other people are too, it's even less reason to show up for doubles.

And then I dunno if I'm gonna go for singles alone. 2hr round trip drive... I might just go smash with Tony lol.

Edit: I DO want to go but it seems like a lot of hurdles and inconvenience...

Supertramp

Smash Cadet
melee singles so late/spread from doubles is ridic ****. I cannot handle this poor planning and logic, and the tournament will suffer accordingly
can I also ask why I am still not on the list despite having posted before some people? I went to the first two tournaments that you hosted..

TwilightShadow

Smash Journeyman
Major Update... anyone who complains from this point forth... umm ionno maybe host ur own tournament? XD

* 10:30 am to 11:30 am - CVGA Execs setup
* 11:30 am to 12:00 pm - Break and Casuals; Brawl Singles Registration; Brawl Doubles Registration; SFIV teams
* 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm - SFIV 3v3 tournament; Brawl doubles Tournament
* 2:00 pm to 5:30 pm - SFIV singles tournament; Brawl Singles Tournament
* 5:00 pm to 5:30 pm - Break and Casuals; Doubles Registration
* 5:30 pm to 7:00 pm - Melee Doubles Tournament
* 6:30 pm to 7:00pm - Melee Singles Registration
* 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm - Melee Singles Tournament

bundtcake

Smash Ace
Hmm, where be Halberd and Frigate Orpheon on the CP list for Brawl? Also possibly Pokemon Stadium 2 and Pirate Ship.

And a question asked earlier, that still hasn't been answered... Do people who want to just watch the tournament have to pay a cover fee?

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Yeah, the CP list seems...lacking. Especially Halberd. I fail to see why that stage wouldn't be legal.

Also, how is first stage going to be decided? It doesn't look like stage striking, since there's only four neutrals. Is it going to be random? v.v

:005:

LFL

Smash Journeyman
I'm looking for someone to be my 2v2 partner for brawl. Let me know if you are interested.

FlippinNick

Smash Rookie
sign me up for melee singles pls! :D
sion lets money match over $9000. kthxbye evan

bundtcake

Smash Ace
Asking again, 'cuz it still hasn't been answered and it'd be nice to know more than just one day in advance, do guests who have no intentions of playing have to pay a cover fee still?

Asa

Smash Hero
no I don't think so. Why wouldn't you want to play though?

Btw my brother will be coming from uvic to play brawl, just letting you know in case you needed more people

TwilightShadow

Smash Journeyman
Asking again, 'cuz it still hasn't been answered and it'd be nice to know more than just one day in advance, do guests who have no intentions of playing have to pay a cover fee still?
Observers will have to pay a $2 venue fee (as decided by execs) and will not have access to any of the setups when being used for the tournaments ect. ect.

ikool

Smash Apprentice
Observers will have to pay a $2 venue fee (as decided by execs) and will not have access to any of the setups when being used for the tournaments ect. ect.
That's pretty lame... since when did it cost money to spectate anything? :(

I guess you guys need the cash to pay off venue stuff... Still, I was hoping that it was going to be free for observers.

Igcoris

Smash Journeyman
sign me up for melee singles pls! :D
sion lets money match over $9000. kthxbye evan
$9000, kthx.

I thought it'd be sort of free for observers, especially since you'd be expecting more than $700 towards the rental of the room, (I'm assuming that it doesn't go over that figure; I actually have no idea what the room rental for a whole day costs) given that everyone who signed up went. If it does cost quite a bundle, then charging a fee to observers would be fair.

TwilightShadow

Smash Journeyman

I guess you guys need the cash to pay off venue stuff... Still, I was hoping that it was going to be free for observers.
heh yea... CVGA has told me that the last tournament they lost money on (the one at LSK) so they said they are willing to give it another shot... if i don't generate enough venue to cover the cost... i won't be allowed to host major tournaments n e more :(

TwilightShadow

Smash Journeyman

I can list quite a few things off the top of my head that costs money to spectate... XD

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
So, under the timeline, it says, "10:30 am to 11:30 am - CVGA Execs setup". Is there any point for participants to show up during this time? Will there be set-ups for friendlies or something, or is it just going to be time for organizers to set everything up?

TwilightShadow

Smash Journeyman
So, under the timeline, it says, "10:30 am to 11:30 am - CVGA Execs setup". Is there any point for participants to show up during this time? Will there be set-ups for friendlies or something, or is it just going to be time for organizers to set everything up?

Once we've setup you can play so if u wanna "optimize" your time i'd say come at around ionno 11ish

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I've never been there before, but getting there seems pretty straightforward. Take the SkyTrain to VCC-Clark, then take the 84 bus to UBC from there. If you really think you might get lost, I guess we could meet up at some point, but I've never met you, so IDK. =S

2G00d

Smash Rookie
Meh, can't go now, Dad johns. His first b-day ever celebrated here :x

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
I'ma do my best. :B

@ 2good: That sucks. D= Hopefully some other event for Brawl will take place in the future that you could attend...it's a shame when events are as rare as they are though. >.<

Top Bottom