• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Twin Christmas Parties 3+4 Mafia {The Matryoshka Scandal.} ~ Over! Who had the merriest Christmas? Who got lumps of coal?

Chuckie

Kataefi|vanderzant
I haven't considered this yet. have you?

I had you/Kary/Dietz/Raziek as town tho at the end of D1. possibly Ran. all this momentum on our wagon is making me consider things.

I am wary of ryker as a potential scummie, not so much in connection with Swarm but as someone scummy to me, so I would see him go also.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Why? I liked him early game but then his play just dissipated and now he's getting on a wagon because of some silly wall OS wrote. I think you need to explain the coincidence of Le Bateleur posting like that however, and what his role to the game. Was he just a puppet?

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Yeesh, five minutes into the first real Day of this game and OS already wrote a novel.

Reading.

#HBC | ѕoup

Rajam [10]: Overswarm, Raziek, Red Ryu, PrivateJoker-Brown, Ranmaru, Jdietz43, Chuckie, Kary, Circus, Le Bateleur
This wagon had scum on it.

#HBC | ѕoup

Of course, with a useless D1 and players pandering to not know their alignment, If I asked what people gained out of that lynch they would tell me absolutely nothing.

I hate this.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
PS: I'm pissed you think I didn't earn any town points "for this". I'm not sure why you're trying to downplay the fact I'm the most trustworthy slot for outing the theme right now but I don't like the fact you're trying to make that action seem shady.
Everyone was trying to solve the theme, you just had the final step.

From a "I better get town points for this" perspective, coming in after halftime and hitting one goal and winning the game is awesome, but you didn't capitalize on it or even remind people that "hey, it was me!"

You're doing that now, but during my re-read I didn't see anything out there that made me think you were milking it for all it was worth. You just kinda did a good thing for town, and naturally so, and then went on with the Day.

Finding the theme for town IS shady because we all were looking for it and we know that mafia and indies have more information. So by default the people with the most information that can't be readily determined are under suspicion; that's why I was curious about you saying that your friend helped you. I thought it possible you were trying to sweep that aspect of it under the rug.

You're not an entirely distant possibility for suspicion, but Chuckie is farther ahead than the distance of Earth to the Sun.

So off to his posts.

#HBC | ѕoup

Chuckie said:
There was no N0. As the recruiter you are building us up to be, we had to have made an action to recruit Le Bateleur. That or we had to have known Le Bateleur was the one we "recruited" for your logic to sustain itself (because you already established a connection between us on D1, so we had to have known he was in some way connected to us, right?). For this to be true, we would have known our role...
I'm going butt to but in and say that this line of logic is completely voided considering you could have been aligned at the start. I'm not going to go into a Overswarm wall but this doesn't cut the suspicion around you at all. It's very possible for you to have not known your role at the start, but the fact remains is that Overswarm believes you had underlying information, and this doesn't prove that you didn't.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I am completely ok with this.

Vote: Chuckie
You should participate more than this.

Right Overswarm... "More information than both Mafia AND Town"... this logic was used against sneakytako who flipped Town!

More information is the least reliable tell this game because it is public information to the Town that Scum have this knowledge. To claim or hint at underlying information is to die (this behaviour is what kill sneakytako after all). What would our return be in a gambit of this calibre so early in the game? Plz be explanative here. It isn't a tell that is supported well, as seen with sneaky's flip!
Hoo, boy, you are flailing.

"What are you talking about? We're just like that townie that died! Our situation is exactly like Sneaky's situation!"

Like hell it is. Sneaky played poorly and lied about having more information than he actually had. You, on the other hand, demonstrably seem to have more information than you should. Comparing yourself to Sneaky's slot is impossible.

We explained where our logic in advancing layers came from, confirmed genuine by JTB's role. This is the most important detail that defends us against this dark shade of a logic. Lettuce go into it:
Whoa whoa whoa. Maybe I skimmed D1 even more than I thought, but what is this you're saying about "JTB's role?" Has JTB outed his role?

There was no N0. As the recruiter you are building us up to be, we had to have made an action to recruit Le Bateleur. That or we had to have known Le Bateleur was the one we "recruited" for your logic to sustain itself (because you already established a connection between us on D1, so we had to have known he was in some way connected to us, right?). For this to be true, we would have known our role...

...thus guessing the layers of our present becomes meaningless because it would have been opened, fulfilling Nabe's "independent's know more than mafia who know more than town" rule in the OP...
This is a fair point on it's own, but OS already brought up the idea of town points. You got capital with the town for helping us to figure out the theme. You even go on to admit, in this very post, that this is the case. If you really are an indy, then that's worth plenty.

JTB's ability would have exposed us as lying at this point as a result, which it didn't. It exposed the complete opposite (lol)
Again with JTB's ability. I really must have missed something. Someone clue me in?

Now ask yourself as a scumhunter: why would we go to our lengths in adding Le Bateleur as a friend prior to the game? Why would we out him as significant to the flavour and spotlight him in this manner ON DAY 1? The most important question: did we want to be so obvious as to commit suicide?? Don't bother answering. The answer is no! A good player (let us pray there are a few) should be able to recognise that our effort in dealing with Le Bateleur was not to out ourselves as scum as his inquisitor, rather because we're just smart players with common sense that pieced A to B to C and reached our 3rd layer genuinely (cue JTB to realise our viewpoint and oppose Swarm's logic GOGOGOG).
Bolded for focus.

This question is a double-edged sword. Let me flip it on you. Rather than asking why you would add Labatt as a friend prior to the game as scum, I would ask you why you would bother adding Labatt as a friend as at all if you really were a no-nothing audience here? As someone who knew nothing of the player, why would you friend Labatt? Do you just friend every player you play a mafia game with?

The conclusion you ask me to draw from the bolded is not that you must be town because scum wouldn't be dumb enough to do what you did. The easiest answer to this is that you are, in fact, dumb scum.

Oh, a final note about this: we advanced the layer process of the game which, to quote everyone in the game at the time (Raziek/Soup/Ranny/YOURSELF), "MASSIVELY HELPED TOWN"... for everyone to begin turning against us based on your logic is bad bad bad and would probably be indicative of the decline of the swf meta.
See, here you are, trying to cash in that town capital. Don't act like you weren't trying to earn points.

Oh, btw, potassium may have got vigged.

Scum may have decided to off Le Bateleur in a bid to kill 2 players in one (us), as our linking was introduced on D1.

In fact this is a possibility to consider a) because potassium died first (vigs have priority) and b) Rajam, a town flip, generally regarded as a good reader, had potassium as scum.

this is speculation mind you
@The underlined: How do you know this? That is not established, universal SWF Mafia practice. Also, I would not regard Rajam as a particularly good judge of alignment. Where are you getting that?

@Soup: I understand the desire to turn over every rock before going full HBC on people (although I'm doing my best not to reference another game), but seeing you dismiss OS' case so quickly is unsettling. If you actually read it, I don't see how you could be so quick to deny it. I find it pretty damning. The part about both players posting at the same time is, for me, an especially persuasive detail. I can tell you that I did the exact same thing with HepAlien in Super Heroes in order to try to make sure no one started following that trail. All of the evidence points to Labatt and Chuckie having some kind of relationship. With Labatt's flip, the odds of that relationship being anything positive for town are microscopic.

This wagon had scum on it.
Agreed.

Although you sure are in a convenient spot by not being on it, aren't you, Mr. I'm-so-townie-let's-No-Lynch.

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
Vote: Raziek

What a mooch. Lame wagon hops this game so far. Fine with being on him with Soup.

I haven't read all of Day 1 (yes I know I had all of last Night, shush), but I will just go on and state some things that have been on my mind. I'll fix myself some breakfast and then continue to read afterwards.

-Chuckie, why I don't buy all of OS's case, I do take issue with your slot, mainly because of how you acted (or how you didn't act) around the Tako slot (and if you did try to interact with the wagon in some way yesterday, I haven't read it yet). I know we already went over this, but it still bugs me. I haven't played with either Kat or vanderzant all that much, but just knowing how smart and insightful both of you are, I feel confident in saying that town Chuckie would play a more active role with the Tako wagon. Even if you truly had a hard time pinning a read to him, you guys didn't really make an effort at all to try to read him. Even when Rajam replaced in, no visible effort was seen on your part to get a read. Instead, you're focus was all on Le and mechanics. It's understandable to be caught up in mechanic talk of Day 1, but it's hard for me to swallow that you guys just let the Tako wagon build up like it did and not say a word about it until I asked for one. Also, your reply to my question about the Tako wagon was pretty safe, since you pretty much just said that "He's playing odd if he was town." Nothing was really committed to in your response (this is a more minor point, since Day was kinda ****ty for reads, plus I didn't even go in as hard on the Tako wagon as I should have [albeit due to inactivity], but it helps to paint a bigger picture for your slot that I'm not really liking).

Also, this may be a bit of a long shot, but I also get the feeling that a town Chuckie would have saw a town Tako like I did.

Another point that I'll like to bring up is that I DO agree with OS that it's suspicious that you unwrapped your present pretty quickly. Yes you are intelligent, as I said above, but not many should be THAT intelligent.

Can you go through your thought process for how you guessed through the layers of your present Chuckie? Also, which way did you lean overall on Tako/Rajam? I'm just looking for a simple "town lean/scum lean" here, nothing else.

One final thing. This is not really a knock against you, but I only give you minimum town points for helping out the theme (this applies to everyone btw). Scum could have TOTALLY helped out with the theme for the "town points." If they were smart, they would, since them sitting on their thumbs while everyone was discussing the theme seems like a bad move to me.

People didn't really take Nabe's advice to "conserve information " to heart. As a result, people revealing their anime/tarot cards seems like a dumb or scum move to me.

Dumb: "Hey scum, here's my anime/tarot card. I don't know what it means yet, but when we do find out the theme, you can use it as a road map to discover my character role.

Scum: "Hey town, here's the anime/tarot card for my safe claim. When the true theme is revealed, you guys can do your homework and find our what townie character I have flavor wise."

Points in favor of you Chuckie include your general activity (this may seem generic, but I do think activity, even from good players like Kat and Vandie, is townie), your wagon built up with too much speed (lotsa sheep this game), and the fact that there is a lot about OS's case that I don't agree with (might go over this later, don't feel like it right now).

-Another slots on my mind right now are Raz, Circus, and RR. RR just because his play has been pretty shallow/light so far.

Raz as stated above. His play has also been light and shallow, plus his wagon hops on both Tako and Chuckie have been incredibly sheepish. Yes I just stated suspicion of Chuckie above, but he hasn't really gone out of the way to justify the reasons for his votes. Anti town at best.

Circus because his 189 and the inactivity that assured rubbed me the wrong way. I won't hold him too accountable for RL issues, because God I know about that, but the last thing he said for a long while was pretty generic (gotta get through that first layer first to scum hunt!). His jump onto the Rajam/Tako wagon also didn't earn him any town points from me.

Also, J's slot annoys me right now. I don't think he's scum or anything, he's null, but the fact that the true theme has been revealed means that everyone has guessed it, and that means that J must have read the thread to some extent to know what the true theme is. Yet, he's been completely inactive since the game has started. I know that he's busy with RL stuff, and that he has been inactive before in Necromafia as town due to his IRL stuff, so I just wish he would replace out already before it gets too late. He knew that he couldn't keep up with this game before it even began, so he should have exercised some restraint in joining.

-One final thought, that being that I agree with OS that we are most likely dealing with 6 anti-town players. My guess is 4 mafia and 2 indies that are aligned (the Inquisitors).

Overswarm

is laughing at you
STOP VOTING US!

Omg the laziness of people in realising a wall is just a wall and not representative of the content behind the wall is astounding!

Right Overswarm... "More information than both Mafia AND Town"... this logic was used against sneakytako who flipped Town!
And does anyone here think that was an incorrect move? You yourself were on that wagon, as was the majority of town. It wasn't even a last-minute panic wagon. Soup could say "rabble rabble bad wagon" because he openly pushed for a No Lynch over a Tako lynch but you certainly can't.

Information leak is the most reliable tell in this game by far.

More information is the least reliable tell this game because it is public information to the Town that Scum have this knowledge. To claim or hint at underlying information is to die (this behaviour is what kill sneakytako after all). What would our return be in a gambit of this calibre so early in the game? Plz be explanative here. It isn't a tell that is supported well, as seen with sneaky's flip!
What would be the return? You set it up so La B wouldn't be lynched and you made La B a prominent figure in the game rather than just a random inactive. The entire process you used was in support of your slot and making it seem more town.

What you are trying to do instead is punish us for being smart in advancing our present's layer (take note how we advanced nothing about the flavour of the game as if we had underlying information here..., all we did was tell people how to reach the 3rd layer of their present, of which there were 2 more layers to guess)...
You clearly had more information and it was clearly all centered around La B. You were La B.

And take note that you only told people how to reach the 3rd layer? Of course I did. I never said you'd have all the information, only that you would have more. Why the assumption?

Look at the information you claimed to have at the start of the game:

Tarot cards = 3rd layer
La B's name translated means "The Magician"
Hanged man = tarot card theme

If you were La B, and you were, the special information you would get would be centered around that fact. All evidence shows that you knew absolutely everything up to that point and no further.

You didn't know about the voice actors, you didn't know about persona. You only knew about Le Bateleur and everything associated with that account. That was your special information, and that's what you knew more than anyone else.

We explained where our logic in advancing layers came from, confirmed genuine by JTB's role. This is the most important detail that defends us against this dark shade of a logic. Lettuce go into it:
What exactly do you mean here? I just looked at JTB's posts and he didn't out his role. Are you talking about his present opening strategy? This only confirms what I was stating before: your special information was all about La B.

Hell, it could have been backwards. You could have just started at layer 3 of your gift as your special information, saw tarot cards, and worked your way backwards from there and taken special note of the player you controlled.

What? WHAT?

You were Le Bateleur to begin with.

This isn't a get-out-of-jail free card for you, this is you conveniently spinning what you know against what town SHOULD know. The fact that I figured out that you and La B were the same person makes it fall apart.

You didn't need to know your role to recruit Le Bateleur, you had La B to begin with. This defense holds no water.

...thus guessing the layers of our present becomes meaningless because it would have been opened, fulfilling Nabe's "independent's know more than mafia who know more than town" rule in the OP...

JTB's ability would have exposed us as lying at this point as a result, which it didn't. It exposed the complete opposite (lol)
Nice strawman. "I didn't know more information! That'd mean I knew my whole role and I didn't!"

The information you had was centered around Le B and that role only. The pieces fit.

Additionally, the way you described our handling of Le Bateleur is distorting the reality of the situation that should be making you look bad. We didn't "just" immediately think of arcana tarot cards at all, In fact we gave a very lengthy explanation that detailed our thought process that you said "Good Work Chuckie...", something you are disingenuously shunning now. You didn't explain where we just assumed things in our post about Le Bateleur (you can't...)
I did think it was good work, it was incredibly impressive sleuthing work. Too impressive. That's where part of the initial suspicion came from, remember?

Now ask yourself as a scumhunter: why would we go to our lengths in adding Le Bateleur as a friend prior to the game? Why would we out him as significant to the flavour and spotlight him in this manner ON DAY 1? The most important question: did we want to be so obvious as to commit suicide?? Don't bother answering. The answer is no! A good player (let us pray there are a few) should be able to recognise that our effort in dealing with Le Bateleur was not to out ourselves as scum as his inquisitor, rather because we're just smart players with common sense that pieced A to B to C and reached our 3rd layer genuinely (cue JTB to realise our viewpoint and oppose Swarm's logic GOGOGOG).
I don't know La B's role entirely or what that role's purpose was. Hey, maybe we're lucky and that role could do the recruiting for you so you couldn't be watched of roleblocked or something. Couldn't tell you for certain, I don't know what an "aspect" is in mafia. But I know you had no problem using the role to inflate your own town status.

Oh, a final note about this: we advanced the layer process of the game which, to quote everyone in the game at the time (Raziek/Soup/Ranny/YOURSELF), "MASSIVELY HELPED TOWN"... for everyone to begin turning against us based on your logic is bad bad bad and would probably be indicative of the decline of the swf meta.
Did you just ad hominem the entire site to defend yourself? :p

Do you honestly think that scum wouldn't try to openly help town advance layers? If you're scum and you have more layers than others and you just openly give them to town, town then has to say "why would he do that?" which gives you town points until they realize "Oh, he did it to earn town points".

I'll paraphrase what I sent to Nabe via PM when we guessed Tarot Cards:

Le Batuleur is naturally suspicious and one of our biggest leads. He appears directly in the middle of the player list, has expressed interest in a newbie game yet never once /inned despite opportunities arising here. He gets selected to a private game and over other newbies at that who would be better qualified at playing a game more smoothly. He looks staged. He has an avatar that references a tarot character, The Magician.

I don't recall the old avatar very well, but wasn't it Luigi?

The "dead guy" was hung, a possible reference to The Hanged Man, a card with fiery connotations if it is placed next to The Sun, The Devil or The Burning Tower, all which relate to fire, i.e. the sample pm's present opening strategy of burning. Additionally, The Hanged Man represents sacrifice and resignation, which we find fitting considering the "dead guy" is the first character to go, thus sacrificing his fate to introduce the opening of this game.

Wii also believe our present opening strategy of patience may relate to the Temperance card. This card seems to represent qualities of patience, and is also depicted as female. An alternative to this is the Strength/Force card which is also depicted as female and exudes some qualities that could be considered patient, though we lean more toward the Temperance card than the Strength one.
Yeah I severely doubt you sent all this to Nabe prior to the game.

sorry this just our defence against such logic shade. I saw it and felt compelled to respond. Whatever questions are targeted at us will be ignored as we want to get our scumhunt on and not be forced into a position of defence
What the hell kind of play is this?

"This case is bull, not answering any questions because that'd put us in a bad position!"

That's just... unhelpful.

#HBC | Dancer

Alright, got my oatmeal, time to finish Day 1. I wanta have mafia down today by noon so that I can study.

However, first I'll like to propose a question to everyone suspicious of a Chuckie and Le connection: Why do you guys think that the two interacted so much if they were connected? Do you think that, by interacting with each other, they were trying to distance? If so, then why not just treat each other like they would any other slot? Why set up a connection in just a weird way? It's really hard to imagine the scum thought process that they much have went through for this to be the case.

Chuckie: "Hey Le, you know what would be a really good idea for us to distance? Let me reveal the fact that you are probably a plant put into the game and try to paint you as Nabe!"

Le: "Oh yeah! Good idea! Also, lets talk about totally irrelevant things to! That will throw them off!"

Also, about Chuckie and Le talking about "irrelevant things," that's nothing I wouldn't put pass their nature. Like, I know that Kat is a sociable and kinda kooky person, so his in thread socialization is understandable enough to me.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Kat isn't scum, but just that I doubt a connection between him and Le.

"But Swords, they posted at the same time!"

Yeah, whatever, because OS asked them to. I'm not seeing the big deal there.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I thought I was going to have all day to play this today, but now I'm spending the day with real life humans. I'll get back to this tonight; I'm sure there will be much more to tackle.

#HBC | Dancer

So Chuckie was on the Rajam wagon. My b. This just means that I have to analyze him and others on the wagon now.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
OS, Let's pretend in another world that Chuckie isn't this indy you suspect him of. What's the game plan after that?
...find the real one, like I said. My current suspicions of alternates, however slight, are JDietz and you, as stated in the initial post I made with the reasoning provided. I haven't delved into those as much because Chuckie's case kept giving me more and more information that fit.

If there's a recruiting serial killer, that's the most detrimental role in the game to town. A town read that was the star all game can suddenly be scum; hard to get around. The faster you kill Lavos, the faster you can kill his spawn.

Overswarm

is laughing at you