• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Twilight of Smash 5 - Ottawa, ON - Jul 5, 08 Results

Bug~

Smash Ace
I will try my best to come next time..this seemed like a sick tourney except for you know wat lol.

hopefully next time we can all just brawl and have a ball.

come on guys, lets just play the game and be friends :D

Percon

Smash Lord
come on guys, lets just play the game and be friends :D
QFT

Sorry for those I didn't talk to, I tried introducing myself to as many people as possible but there were just too many dudes. :x

I kinda want to get better at Dr. Mario now... lol I suck. Maybe I should invest in RX...

Fogel

Smash Lord
Cameron, I'm not going to reply to you in full as I feel that will just perpetuate a situation which is past now, but I will touch on one thing.

My forfeight to loser's bracket wasn't about what you're perceiving, in reality I turned to Julian and said " I want to face Kage" and that was that.
It looks like the admins don't want us to continue in public, but I would still like to continue the conversation. If you have time, I would appreciate if you responded to my points via PM (or email or whatever).

as test noted in magic people will drop games to each other all the time, especially to help someone into top 8. prize splits are also super common and peopl ewill forfeit to a teammate with a deck better suited against top 8/that can win vs the field better if they have a split

thing is pairings are random in the next round unless you're only 2 at your current score.

meh
I don't know how closely you follow Magic, but I followed the scene for awhile and Magic isn't exactly the paragon of high moral standards as far as competitive play goes. There's lots of stuff online if you care to look it up, but suffice it to say that there are many instances of funny business going on there. The early days especially had a lot of shady business. I even have a few personal stories I could tell but they're beyond the scope of what we're talking about here.

Anyways, they're different games, I don't think we should be comparing it to Smash.

Wolfblade

Smash Lord
well I went LINK twice and KIRBY once. but that's when I was pissed. in pool it was petty much sonic all the way...used Ike once.......

in team I went NESS once and snake once, and it was on final match.

nomsain.
Ha ha! One of those Links and that Kirby were both against me after Lucario took out Sonic. Everyone gets a grudge against Lucario after they fight him :laugh:

When yer just gonna spin dash back and forth for 5 minutes, its not too hard to Aura Sphere yer spikey arse.

VERY LATE SHOUT OUTS!!!

Yo, seeing as I just got back from NB today I'm gonna do shout outs... keep in mind I left at like 9 so I didn't know about all the drama that went down with brackets until till just now.

Fogel: Thanks for setting this up man, though I felt like I was gonna burst into flames every time I cursed. Churches are scary for a casual swearer such as myself.

Percon: 2nd place; right where you belong! Good stuff like always but you gotta loosen that tight arse of yers up a bit. You were way too tense :p

Niko: How did you do once I left... oh right, you were out right away... hee hee, c'mon you knew I was gonna make that joke again. Way to support Niagara and dresses with the most epic Peach in Canada. P.S. You didn't give me a shout out, so I hate you.

GTA: Wootage! Though I wish I woulda got to fight you guys; y'know, take out a Metaknight or 2 with Lucario and stop all the *****ing against him ^^

ThatGuy: Dude... this guy... this is the guy! Mario was epic. Using Mario was the single most classy thing that anyone did at that tourney. Yer one of a kind man.

Ifzy: Ha ha, way to own those noobs. Nice meeting you, even if you are a Miller fanboy.

PNDMike: Lucario is the ultimate Pokemon. Think about it, I Millered (SD) on rainbow cruise and still won. But you have the single best Jiggs I have ever had the privilage of fsmashing. Support the Pokemon tier!

NB peeps: Totally forget yer names but it was nice meeting you... or the ones I met anyway. Hope the trip was worth it... ha ha course it was, you got to meet me. And the guy that was in my pool, what's yer name again? Anyway, good stuff.

PND

Smash Champion
PNDMike: Lucario is the ultimate Pokemon. Think about it, I Millered (SD) on rainbow cruise and still won. But you have the single best Jiggs I have ever had the privilage of fsmashing. Support the Pokemon tier!
Johns! Haha, oh well. Great matches. I'ma rematch you and win.

Seison

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone, sorry for being so late posting here, but I guess it's not a bad time, since the drama is finally subsiding (by the way, anyone who doesn't know, I'm one of the NB guys)

Anyway, this tournament was alot of fun for us, despite my going emo for a few hours after I was eliminated in pools haha. ("I drove 1000kms for THIS!") It was a real eye opener, as things always are when you find out that you weren't as good as you thought you were.

One of my biggest regrets is that we didn't get to stay to see the end of the tourney. I apologize for this--we didn't leave because we weren't interested in seeing matches; we left because we had arrived in Ottawa at about 3am, spent the rest of the night sleeping in my car in a Tim's parking lot, rocked the tourney, and, after being eliminated, wanted to get back on the road. lol.

So, as far as shout-outs go, I didn't play nearly enough friendlies, but I still met some cool people.

Fogel - Of course, I have to thank you for hosting such a great tournament. Seriously, where we're from, the pools are FFA... It was great meeting you too, you seem like a mellow guy. Nice job btw 2-0ing me in pools :p

Damax - I don't care if this makes you bust a gut man, your Sonic is awesome. I was like wtf I just lost to sonic using falco. I hope you don't think too poorly of me because of that fact (I don't know if that is what I should attribute your chuckling during matches to) I'm sorry that you don't take brawl more seriously--I know it has it's flaws, but it's still competitively viable. To each his own though, nice meeting you.

Percon - what can I say? We didn't really talk, you just steamrolled over me in pools LOL. 0-100% before I even hit you. I guess Falco vs. Kirby is just no. Me CPing snake was an act of desperation, and I STILL lost. lol nice games man, and congrats on doing well in the tourney.

Wolfblade - One of the few people I did some friendlies with. Thank you for showing me another character who I should avoid like the plague with Falco (Lucario) haha. On another note, I should have just gone PKMN Trainer for the whole tourney. I used him a few times that day and if I recall, I never lost a match using him! Also, how was your trip to the maritimes??

Thatguy - Mario ftw. You and your doubles partner worked really well together, nice job. nuff said i guess.

BigRick - hey man, I enjoyed our pool matches; props for picking lower-tiered characters (Samus, and I can't remember who else).

Sorry if I forgot anyone, but I've gotta leave for work soon. Thanks to all for a great experience. We're definitely going to make an effort to travel out of town for tourneys more often.

Damax

Smash Lord
Damax - I don't care if this makes you bust a gut man, your Sonic is awesome. I was like wtf I just lost to sonic using falco. I hope you don't think too poorly of me because of that fact (I don't know if that is what I should attribute your chuckling during matches to) I'm sorry that you don't take brawl more seriously--I know it has it's flaws, but it's still competitively viable. To each his own though, nice meeting you.
Brawl is horrible, trade technical with patience and you got brawl. matches are long, repetitive, boring and the list go on. Melee had technicals and mindgames, brawl has patience and mindgames. I don't excel at patience while playing fighters, not my style.

I thought you were a scrub, but took it too easy like always with no patience all I wanted is finish the match asap because all I was gonna do is roll. but you where better than meet the eyes so I had to afford a lost, nice matches really. you made me realise falco is still at least high tier.

Wolfblade

Smash Lord
Wolfblade - One of the few people I did some friendlies with. Thank you for showing me another character who I should avoid like the plague with Falco (Lucario) haha. On another note, I should have just gone PKMN Trainer for the whole tourney. I used him a few times that day and if I recall, I never lost a match using him! Also, how was your trip to the maritimes??
Ha ha, don't worry about that. You don't wanna know how often I fight Falco, I know his timing like the back of my hand. My buddies Alex and Kev both play Falco as their mains in two totally different play styles and I usually beat them too. I doubt you had any experiences vs. a good Lucario anyway, so definitely, no worries.

YES! SUPPORT THE POKEMON TIER!

My trip was so much fun; made it in good time too. The drive is easy... just bloody long is all. Took so many pictures of the landscape while I was there, NB is beautiful.

Nice meeting you and I hope to see you again. If yer ever down the St. Catharines/ Niagara way, we hold some wicked tournies.

Catch ya later dude.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
tsk tsk Damax, I thought you were better than that, using the M word like that. I see a lot of bitterness from MTL from Brawl. Does this mean that you guys play Melee now? hahaha or are you guys still persuing Brawl?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
tsk tsk Damax, I thought you were better than that, using the M word like that. I see a lot of bitterness from MTL from Brawl. Does this mean that you guys play Melee now? hahaha or are you guys still persuing Brawl?
Not really pursuing anything, we play brawl about once a week.. well a few of us montrealers including me. I try to play melee too once a week to keep my skill intact incase there is a major melee tournament coming along.

But one thing for sure, not one montrealer will travel further than Toronto for Brawl.

TestRider

Smash Ace
For the record, I actually find Brawl very fun, but it certainly doesn't look like a promising competitive game. It's painfully obvious how the game was rushed through production, maybe if they scratched the retardedness known as the Subspace Emissary and put more time and efforts on the actual gameplay, we would have gotten a viable fighter. Oh, and Brawl has the worst online mode of any game I've ever played.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
For the record, I actually find Brawl very fun, but it certainly doesn't look like a promising competitive game. It's painfully obvious how the game was rushed through production, maybe if they scratched the retardedness known as the Subspace Emissary and put more time and efforts on the actual gameplay, we would have gotten a viable fighter. Oh, and Brawl has the worst online mode of any game I've ever played.
Quoted 4 truth

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Oh, and Brawl has the worst online mode of any game I've ever played.
That's not true at all! In fact, Brawl's online is possibly the very BEST since it greatly increases mindgames and 'yomi'. Like, you can't just mash any button to win. No, no. You have to be able to accurately predict what your opponent is going to do a full ten seconds in advance (which is about how long it takes for your controller to respond)! And recovering? If you're Lucas, Ness, or basically anybody... well, you're not recovering. This encourages you not to get hit. Man, I kind of wish that Brawl's offline mode was more like it's online. Pure 100% mindgames and yomi! :laugh:

Damax

Smash Lord
That's not true at all! In fact, Brawl's online is possibly the very BEST since it greatly increases mindgames and 'yomi'. Like, you can't just mash any button to win. No, no. You have to be able to accurately predict what your opponent is going to do a full ten seconds in advance (which is about how long it takes for your controller to respond)! And recovering? If you're Lucas, Ness, or basically anybody... well, you're not recovering. This encourages you not to get hit. Man, I kind of wish that Brawl's offline mode was more like it's online. Pure 100% mindgames and yomi! :laugh:
please bury your head in the sand.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
i agree brawl was rushed and had terrible production.

that isn't much different from melee or 64 though, people just enjoyed those games because of the absolutely ******** combo systems.

i enjoy the game but i agree it's about as viable as melee or 64.

WarranThad

Smash Ace
yes, they're not viable competitive games.

fox
-
-
-
-
-
-
rest

in melee.

yes mraths win, yes even jiggs won... so? It's a game where half the banned stages are banned because of a single move and that when used with items is completely unviable as well. even with all the stage bans fox is still OP to the max. brawl tourney results may be littered with meatknights, robs, warios, lucarios, marths and snakes but isnt it the same **** with fox falco sheik and marth being the only ones who place well in melee? Melee is just as poorly designed as brawl with broken hitboxes, grabs from behind, absolute nonsense invisible ceilings, wave dashing (completely unintended, clearly), and tons of infinite combos on any wall or on many characters with wave shining. smash bros is a trash competitive fighting game series and there are dozens of more viable, less broken and deeper fighters that aren't just triangle jumps and poking.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Come to think of it Smash has something that no other FG does... Real-time 2v2 action!!!
And yea playing 2v2s with Bento was the best time I had at the tourney with Brawl.

Like, after playing my tourney matches I only played 2-3 frendlies.

shoutout to every1 I played it teams btw...

TestRider

Smash Ace
Speaking of teams, I'd like to remind everyone that twice during the teams tournament at ToS5 (that's right, not once, twice), I was alone on my last stock facing two opponents in their early last stock, and still won. My Zelda is so epic that she can take two players out by herself, and I don't even get shoutouts about it. **** you guys.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
yes, they're not viable competitive games.

fox
-
-
-
-
-
-
rest

in melee.

yes mraths win, yes even jiggs won... so? It's a game where half the banned stages are banned because of a single move and that when used with items is completely unviable as well. even with all the stage bans fox is still OP to the max. brawl tourney results may be littered with meatknights, robs, warios, lucarios, marths and snakes but isnt it the same **** with fox falco sheik and marth being the only ones who place well in melee? Melee is just as poorly designed as brawl with broken hitboxes, grabs from behind, absolute nonsense invisible ceilings, wave dashing (completely unintended, clearly), and tons of infinite combos on any wall or on many characters with wave shining. smash bros is a trash competitive fighting game series and there are dozens of more viable, less broken and deeper fighters that aren't just triangle jumps and poking.
Well apparently what you state here, is that any decent character can win. Even I did once. Which is why that no matter how hard you try in melee, there will be always something you can do vs any match ups even if the match up is **** towards you. I am definitely positive that if mango can win so can everyone that tries really hard.

But in Brawl at what if i've seen so far Top 10 is always Snake or MK, which is absolutely ridiculous. How boring is to watch an MK ditto, Snake ditto or Snake vs MK all the ****ing time? Apparently other characters don't have what it takes to win a tournament at all.

Niko_K

Smash Master
^^^ It's way too true. Banning MK and Snake would make this game 10000000x times better, though that isn't going to happen.

We never ban anything that skews tournament results.....

Top Bottom