• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Turnips

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
The direct showed that Sakurai is removing a lot of the random aspects from the game. Dedede only throws Gordos. Olimar's Pikmin plucks are predetermined as well.

Do you think this apparent desire to remove random elements may lead to a reworking or total removal of Peach's turnips?

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
I don't think so... Or else he would also have to rework her forward smash as well as G&W's Judge attack. I also feel these two were always intended to have a little bit of unpredictability to them, which makes them rather fun.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
I don't think so... Or else he would also have to rework her forward smash as well as G&W's Judge attack. I also feel these two were always intended to have a little bit of unpredictability to them, which makes them rather fun.
Although her forward smash works exactly the same regardless of what she pulls out

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
What do you mean ? I never felt the thee weapons were the same. If you consider the attack working exactly the same, then I don't understand how pulling items from the ground is anything different.

Unless there's something I misconstrued.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I think he did rework her forward smash. In the trailer, as well as the press shots, she's only seen attacking with the Tennis Racket. In fact, her animation is different.

bloodbuzzed

Smash Apprentice
I think he did rework her forward smash. In the trailer, as well as the press shots, she's only seen attacking with the Tennis Racket. In fact, her animation is different.
I haven't noticed the trend. But I hope it's just chance. I love the variability of her forward smash, and the sound effects of the pan and golf club are just too fun to lose.

As per the topic of this thread: I was also wondering what was up with Peach's signature turnip move. I really don't think Sakurai would have removed it, as pretty much all special move changes that have happened so far he has addressed (Olimar, Pit, Sheik, ZSS, Zelda). I just hope the turnips can bounce off shields again

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
I haven't noticed the trend. But I hope it's just chance. I love the variability of her forward smash, and the sound effects of the pan and golf club are just too fun to lose.

As per the topic of this thread: I was also wondering what was up with Peach's signature turnip move. I really don't think Sakurai would have removed it, as pretty much all special move changes that have happened so far he has addressed (Olimar, Pit, Sheik, ZSS, Zelda). I just hope the turnips can bounce off shields again
Here is her new animation for her Fsmash

She actually seems to be more tennis like, rather than gripping it like a golf club.

I'm thinking that she'll have different animations for each iteration of the attack, so its more predictable. I'm thinking she'll still have all 3.

I used to think that way too, but as a Zelda/Sheik main, that change was completely out of left field, and of course Zelda's most signature move. I'm still very upset about it. But it seems he's really trying to make everything fair. So if Turnips are replaced with something else, I wouldn't be surprised.

bloodbuzzed

Smash Apprentice
Here is her new animation for her Fsmash

She actually seems to be more tennis like, rather than gripping it like a golf club.

I'm thinking that she'll have different animations for each iteration of the attack, so its more predictable. I'm thinking she'll still have all 3.

I used to think that way too, but as a Zelda/Sheik main, that change was completely out of left field, and of course Zelda's most signature move. I'm still very upset about it. But it seems he's really trying to make everything fair. So if Turnips are replaced with something else, I wouldn't be surprised.
I've never seen this picture before but I agree that's definitely a tennis swing she's got going on. Sakurai said during Brawl that Peach's design and animation was the most time-consuming so I could see them developing an animation to suit each weapon.

I really don't see them eliminating the pan or club or the turnips. Especially not the turnips.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
I've never seen this picture before but I agree that's definitely a tennis swing she's got going on. Sakurai said during Brawl that Peach's design and animation was the most time-consuming so I could see them developing an animation to suit each weapon.

I really don't see them eliminating the pan or club or the turnips. Especially not the turnips.
LIke I said, I don't either. But we really can't guess that kind of stuff anymore.

But with Peach's case, I feel she needs the harass with a projectile. I feel she has that going for her.

It just might be a certain pick order when it comes to Turnips, or she will always pull out the same one.

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
Oh wow, I haven't seen this picture before. Looks like they're really wrking on the finer details.

Yeah, as long as she has normal turnips, it's fine. I would like her to throw them like in Melee, instead of tossing them like a toddler. And they need to be able to not disappear when they hit shields.

And did anyone see her running / walking animation ? I would honestly prefer if she wasn't skipping around.

Awaji66

Smash Apprentice
Oh wow, I haven't seen this picture before. Looks like they're really wrking on the finer details.

Yeah, as long as she has normal turnips, it's fine. I would like her to throw them like in Melee, instead of tossing them like a toddler. And they need to be able to not disappear when they hit shields.

And did anyone see her running / walking animation ? I would honestly prefer if she wasn't skipping around.

I be fine with just normal turnips too, depending on how fast she throws and/might how easily catchable they are.
Yeah, I don't like the skipping either, too childish. I like her new running/dash animation, seems more inline with her character. Can't tell weather her dash is faster on not, though.

Last edited:

zachmundell

Smash Cadet

The running animation can be seen at 4:46 in the direct. Not exactly a skip. Reminds me of how she runs in SM3DW kind of...

Awaji66

Smash Apprentice
The running animation can be seen at 4:46 in the direct. Not exactly a skip. Reminds me of how she runs in SM3DW kind of...
Yeah, but I wonder is the animation complete though. It looks as though her hands are in position, but she not really grabbing her skirt. She could be, but we need a close up view(looks a little glitchy).

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Her running animation is WAY more inline with her character. Peach is fun, and cute, by most of all super girly. She's not a tomboy by any means. So her picking up her dress noticeably while she's running is just so much more true to Peach.

Awaji66

Smash Apprentice
Her running animation is WAY more inline with her character. Peach is fun, and cute, by most of all super girly. She's not a tomboy by any means. So her picking up her dress noticeably while she's running is just so much more true to Peach.

Yes, much appreciative to the change, in running.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Pretty late of me, but yeah, her running animation was changed to match 3D World's, which is subsequently based off of her SMB2 run iirc.

As someone else said, I don't think it's 100% finished. But then again we barely got to see it. They also gave her double jump more height.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I hope the random element of her turnip pluck doesn't go away. Pulling bombs and stuff is funny.
Sakurai:
" to remove the random element of peaches turnip pull we now just have her pick up bomb ombs."

Last edited:
NNID
Tofer_Magicant
What do you mean ? I never felt the thee weapons were the same. If you consider the attack working exactly the same, then I don't understand how pulling items from the ground is anything different.

Unless there's something I misconstrued.
Because Frying Pan and Golf Club could kill like Racket can.

On subject, I do not think it makes sense to get rid of the random faces, I do think that he will probably eliminate her chances of pulling items though.

Last edited:

The Cero Kelvin

Smash Rookie
I think there's a good chance Sakurai is going to get rid of the randomness in Peach's Forward Smash. Sakurai could make it like Little Mac's Forward smash, where depending on how you angle the move it changes to a new animation. For example, if you angle Peach's Forward Smash upwards it brings out the frying pan, the neutral angle is her tennis racket, and the downwards angle is her golf club. This get rids of the randomness, adds more noticable differences, and acts as an update for Peach while staying true to the original intentions of the move.

As for the turnips, I think ToferTheHuman is right but I really hope they don't change the move.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
I want her to pull out beam swords 100 percent of the time though.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
The direct showed that Sakurai is removing a lot of the random aspects from the game. Dedede only throws Gordos. Olimar's Pikmin plucks are predetermined as well.

Do you think this apparent desire to remove random elements may lead to a reworking or total removal of Peach's turnips?
I think there may be a more predictable factor to her Turnips. But not have all the randomness gone, but as you stated. It could be completely revamped.. I'll miss pulling random Beam Swords though :p

WwwWario

Smash Ace
I thought of something... Some attacks were not available to use in the air. It's now confirmed that DK can use his Down Special in the air now. Do you guys think this means somethig for Peach, as she usually cannot use her Down Special in the air?

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
I thought of something... Some attacks were not available to use in the air. It's now confirmed that DK can use his Down Special in the air now. Do you guys think this means somethig for Peach, as she usually cannot use her Down Special in the air?
You kinda need to be on the ground when you pull turnips from underground.

im just peachy

Smash Ace
NNID
hiimej
3DS FC
3196-3456-0998
I made a really good thread about everything we should know about peach, check it out guys the link is in my signature ! Leave some feedback if you can
:4peach:

Zapster

Smash Apprentice
I am so happy that they put in different animations for the Tennis racket forward smash. It would be cool of it could reflect projectiles.

I agree with all of you who say that they hope peach' turnips return to their melee mechanics so they are at least threatening. I can't see sakurai cutting the random factor entirely, but maybe one of her customization will be where there is only one turnip that she will pull but it will do 12% damage or something. Maybe the other will increase item pull-out ratio but have a draw back somehow.

I hope one of her custom moves for her side special will be more akin to her melter counterpart that might not be quick or a good combo starter but is more of a punish move that is able to bounce off of the walls like in melee

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
Perhaps she'll pick up different sized Turnips based on which custom move you choose?

Her standard move could be a regular Turnip pull but she could have custom move that lets her pull up small Turnips (pulls up quickly but does little damage) or big Turnips (pulls up slowly but the Turnip does more damage) or even those blocks you use to defeat Birdo in SMB2

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I'll bump this thread up by saying I, for one, want the Turnips gone.

I'd much rather see it replaced with a healing technique. Y'know, she uses heart magic in a lot of games.
I'd call it 'Heart Therapy', in reference to SMRPG. It would heal her around 10%. Maybe it could heal nearby teammates in a team battle too!

That would feel much more fitting for Peach than turnips. Turnips just don't seem iconic or unique to Peach (Toad should have them...)

Last edited:

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
No way turnips are great for peach's metagame. THEY ARE A MUST STAY! And any improvement would be awesome

OMG probably one of the best projectiles in brawl next to diddy's banana's

It would be nice if toad got changed to a different move or just made better as a counter. Also her side b the peach bomber her worst move should definitley either be a new move or changed.

Maybe it actually could hit someone's shield this time and maybe a little faster.... The one good thing about her side b is that you cannot DI it to go up. If you get hit by it, it will always knock you at that terrible angle. It still needs to get buffed. Peach needs to get buffed.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I'll bump this thread up by saying I, for one, want the Turnips gone.

I'd much rather see it replaced with a healing technique. Y'know, she uses heart magic in a lot of games.
I'd call it 'Heart Therapy', in reference to SMRPG. It would heal her around 10%. Maybe it could heal nearby teammates in a team battle too!

That would feel much more fitting for Peach than turnips. Turnips just don't seem iconic or unique to Peach (Toad should have them...)
NO!

Turnips are her only projectile so she relied a lot on them. She's also the only character who can pull off aerials while holding an item. That in itself is more than enough reason why her item game is so incredibly invaluable..

They should have removed Toad or something. Now that was a random attack.

Top Bottom