• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

turbo controller banned from tourneys?

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
Can you bring steroids to athletic competitions if you promise not to eat them?

Al_Di_Medola

Smash Journeyman
i use a controller with a turbo too, and it is more comfortable to me, than any other controller. I dont think that they should be bannded, if the turbo button is not in use. I guess you could just make it so that the people watching the match could watch to see if anybody used the turbo illegally.

munsif

Smash Cadet
I dont see what it can even be used for seeing as it combos automatically now when you press down A and all you need is a mediocre speed of tapping the B button for a continous streram of foxes blaster or pits side b

J4pu

Smash Champion
I dont see what it can even be used for seeing as it combos automatically now when you press down A and all you need is a mediocre speed of tapping the B button for a continous streram of foxes blaster or pits side b
Falco's laser spam while standing requires adequate effort to keep going

goodkid

Smash Lord
You can use any controller at a tournament, I use that orange one with turbo too, but I have to watch out because if you accidentally press it, it messes up everything.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Honestly, there is nothing in Brawl that benefits from a turbo button, at least not off the top of my head. Since all A attacks go at max speed with just holding down the button, there really isn't a situation in which you would want to use turbo. That said, I don't see why the ban would still hold up today considering (and honestly if you are using a 3rd party controller I would say you are at a disadvantage), I think it's more of a ban because of tradition.
Falco's laser spam while standing requires adequate effort to keep going
Not really.

imtired

Smash Rookie
some attacks do become too good with a turbo controller
ice climbers squall hammer can go ridiculous high with one

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
Some players recoveries like the abovse poster stated depend on button mashing, such as ICs and Luigis.

But yeah, its not banned to use a turbe controller as long as you don't use the turbo feature :)

J4pu

Smash Champion
Come to think of it, it could benefit Luigi's down B and MK's B in terms of vertical recovery.
That's a decent reason, unless there's a max speed at which you won't rise anymore for these moves that is within simple button mashing levels that I don't know about.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Umm...there's really no way to make sure that they don't use the turbo button. Tournaments don't have judges watching every single match you know.

I think that it should be banned, so that there's absolutely zero chance of anyone using a turbo button (even accidentally)

But of course, I don't host tournaments, so whatever.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Can you bring steroids to athletic competitions if you promise not to eat them?
What the hell kind of metaphor is that? Do you really know what you're talking about?

No, a turbo controller is not officially illegal. It is the use of the turbo button that is illegal. If you are found to be using the turbo button (pretty **** obvious in most cases), then you generally forfeit the match, from what I recall. Some tourneys ban the actual controller, but that's up to the discretion of the organizer, and isn't a widely used rule.

Scala

Smash Ace
With a turbo controller can you disable moves? Occasionally I suicide with yoshi's side-b move when trying to shoot an egg and turn the analog stick too fast, if I could simply make the controller not perform that move it would be great for me (and also a bannable offense). I'm mainly just curious as to the capabilities of the turbo controllers.

Doomed

Smash Rookie
Since controllers are the only "equipment" a player needs, I think only official Nintendo controllers should be allowed in tourneys, at least in serious ones. I'm not saying that certain controllers give you an advantage over other players ( even if sometimes they do ), I'm just saying that everyone should use the same gear, even if it is impossible since SSBB supports different kinds of controllers ( newcomers are less likely to use Gamecube controllers, for example ).

br4n

Smash Apprentice
theres not really any use for a turbo controller in brawl. and anyways theyd have to switch it on right when they wanted to use it and that would be pretty noticable. id say just bring it you'll be alright.

TheTomNookster

Smash Apprentice
Like everyone else is saying; if you don't use the turbo button then you're fine to use the controller.

juki

Smash Cadet
How bout macro controllers?

I got a small macro controller (15% smaller than normal controller) but i dont use the macro. Is it still allowed?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
How bout macro controllers?

I got a small macro controller (15% smaller than normal controller) but i dont use the macro. Is it still allowed?
As long as you're not using the macro, I believe it's not frowned on.

Top Bottom