• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Try Hard 4: Live Free or Try Hard (December 1st) AZ (Last one)

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Announcement

So this is likely going to be my last tournament in Arizona. I will most likely be leaving for good in mid-December, so this is my last hoo-rah. Sorry once again for the less-than-a-month-notice. :/

Anyways, all 3 events will be there.

I'd like to believe that people will get there on time and we can start on time and finish with time for other fun events, but I'm just going to assume that people won't show up at the expected times because they won't account for traffic or KiraFlax throwing up or whatever. :p

So, yeah, hope you can all make it!

Thinking of making all 3 events $5. We'll see.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

i figured it was a reference to that, but i didn't know if you guys snuck in a try hard 3 last weekend with a 5-man turnout or something

Medz!

Smash Journeyman
I think ill go to this instead of the tourney saturday. Ill see if whiplash wants to go with me to this. this date is also perfect for me due to the fact that ill get paid the day before :D

Medz!

Smash Journeyman
Hey okami/tai wat do u guys use to record matches? I really want to start recording of some in yuma and with the mexico players in mexicali

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
You mean like December 18th or so? Probably not because I'll have a U-haul...

Though, if someone would like to house me...I could come up for like a day or two for some Melee/Chipotle like crazy.
I hear my place is a pretty popular waypoint. You'll have to give me some advance notice, though, so I can make sure A) I'm around, and B) I have cleaned up the place.

Rizner

Smash Ace
I could see going to this. Are there carpools going from Phoenix with an open seat or would anyone want to make a carpool from Phoenix? I'd be able to drive, too.

oksas

oak-sauce
And u just use a laptop? Sorry for asking so many questions I'm a noob when it comes to recording
my laptop is from 2007 and it records just fine with virtual dub with the settings i use. if you need someone to pull up the virtual dub setup guide for recording smash i can do that. do you have a capture card? cause those are kind of important :p

Medz!

Smash Journeyman
Nah dude I don't have anything. Like I said I'm a noob when it comes to recording. I literally don't know anything. That's why I'm asking you guys who record frequently

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
think of a capture card as a video source to your computer. it works exactly like a webcam, except instead of importing video from a video camera, it imports videos from the RCA signals from the gamecube/wii

there are a large number of programs you can use to record video from video sources (virtualdub, pinnacle studio, and probably ANY video editing program). it doesn't really matter what program you use, as long as it's capable of selecting your capture card as the video source.

and lastly..........

2+2 = 4

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
and lastly..........

2+2 = 4
Surely you wouldn't make such a BOLD STATEMENT without consulting the Computational Mathematician in your life?

[COLLAPSE="2+2 = 2"]Given: a = b
Multiply both sides by a: a^2 = ab
Subtract b^2 from both sides: a^2 - b^2 = ab - b^2
Factor: (a+b)(a-b) = b(a-b)
Divide both sides by (a-b): (a+b) = b
Substitute a for b: a+a = a
Substitute 2 for a: 2+2 = 2[/COLLAPSE]I DARE YOU TO FIND THE FLAW IN MY ARGUMENT!!!

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
[COLLAPSE="2+2 = 2"]Given: a = b
Multiply both sides by a: a^2 = ab
Subtract b^2 from both sides: a^2 - b^2 = ab - b^2
Factor: (a+b)(a-b) = b(a-b)
Divide both sides by (a-b): (a+b) = b
Substitute a for b: a+a = a
Substitute 2 for a: 2+2 = 2[/COLLAPSE]I DARE YOU TO FIND THE FLAW IN MY ARGUMENT!!!
i don't know if you're actually trying to confuse people or if you're poking fun at people who still try to use the oldest trick in the book ;)

can't divide by (a-b) if a = b

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
i don't know if you're actually trying to confuse people or if you're poking fun at people who still try to use the oldest trick in the book ;)
More like just poking fun at the notion that math on SWF will encourage conversation, when the only thing that matters is that in an x:y MU, x+y = 100. I considered supplying the proof that the degeneracy of the hydrogen atom in state n is 2n^2, but I figured that would be a total annoyance to physics people, basically unintelligible to everyone else, and completely useless to everyone.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
according to lovage, fox vs falco on FD is a 100:100 matchup

and not to go there unless you have huge nuts

oksas

oak-sauce
yo M3dz, yeah first you'll need a capture card. a lot of us use the Dazzle DVC100. it's a little white tear-drop shaped thing you've probably seen before. first step is to get one of those; if you buy it new then it comes with Pinnacle Studio (really ****ty default recording program; slow etc). if you get it used then you can install the drivers online with no CD required.

after that you'll need splitters for the AV cable. the easiest option is to just get three of these things which have two inputs (female) attached to one output (male) port. you'll also need one of these. so here's how the plug setup works:

- take one of the 3 plugs from the gamecube and plug it into one of the splitters
- plug the male end of the splitter into the appropriate slot in the TV (yellow, red, or white)
- with your spare double-sided AV cable, plug one end into the other female port of the splitter, and the other end into the appropriate port in the dazzle itself
- plug dazzle into computer via usb
- repeat process for the other 2 colors

first you need the capture card though. the software setup part is easy when you get there

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
i think pinnacle studio's vids actually look pretty good with 4000 kb/s divx codec (no other programs i've tried can make 4000 kb/s divx look quite as good as pinnacle does), and it's nice that you can split scenes to mark cool moments

pinnacle blows in a bunch of other ways, though :(

Medz!

Smash Journeyman
Ill mm u mizuki. My marth vs ur falco.

Also would u guys recommend recording melee matches with a HDPVR. This guy on facebook is selling one for 110 and I'm just curios on how good it is

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
You don't need to spend $110 to record Smash. I spent $10 on an EasyCap, and maybe $5 on a splitter (you really only need to split the video signal, because you can just plug L-audio into the TV and R-audio into the EasyCap. Or just get a TV with line output.) Recall that the GameCube itself only outputs to 360p, so anything with an HD-price attached to it is literally a waste of money.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Announcement
Scheduled Times (trying something new):
11:00 AM Set-up, Doors open
12:30 PM Brawl/Melee Doubles Start
2:00 PM Brawl Singles Start
2:00 PM Melee Singles Start
5:30 PM LUNCH/DINNER BREAK
6:30 PM Lunch/Dinner Break ENDS
7:00 PM Project M Singles Start

Additional Rules:
-You cannot join both Melee Doubles 'and' Brawl Doubles. You must pick one.
-You cannot join all 3 singles events. You must pick two.

-If you have a match and you do not come when called, you will be DQ'd. The only exception is if you are in another tournament.

Entry Fees: (subject to change)
Doubles: $4/team
Singles Melee/Brawl: $5
Project M: $2

Top Bottom