• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Try Hard 4: Live Free or Try Hard (December 1st) AZ (Last one)

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
I have other plans now that I think of it but they're sometime around the night so I might show up during the day, stay awhile, leave, then come back later on. Might not go back later though idk it just depends. Either way though I SHOULD be here for a little while at least.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
The other thing about Swiss that intrigues me is that after a round or two, players start playing people around their skill level. This means if I'm a terrible player, I don't get wrecked by 3 people in my pool. Instead, I get wrecked first round, get less wrecked second round, and by the third round am playing people my level.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
That's because you're dumb, but that's ok, you'll understand when you actually play.

I've tried to explain it to you in the most direct, laymans terms possible. I don't think there's an easier way to explain how swiss works.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
you're going to win the tournament anyways lol.

sup duffofthelove. i see you lurking.

i'll be bringing project melee lol.

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
Jeff-Let me explain it from your standpoint, since Xander already explained it in the overall view.

You play one set. You win or lose. If you lose, your record is (0-1). Next round you play other people with that same record. If you win, your record is (1-0).

Let's say you won.
Next round...

You play one set with someone with the same record as you (1-0). If you win, your record is (2-0). If you lose your record is (1-1). Next round you will be playing someone with the same record...either (2-0) or (1-1).

Let's say you lose this time.
Next round...

You will be playing someone with the same record as you (1-1), regardless of when they won or lost. One player will have (2-1) as their record after the set and the other will have (1-2).

This continues for 5 rounds until people have records that are (5-0), (4-1), (3-2), (2-3), (1-4), and (0-5). Those with the 4 or 8 best records (depending on entrants) advance to a single or double elimination bracket (most likely a single elimination one).

Questions?

AXE 09

Smash Master
Oh that makes sense. Thanks Rob :)

Is the first person you play just a randomly chosen opponent?

What if there's an odd number of entrants?

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
it's generally randomly chosen.

if there is an odd number of entrants he gets a bye, which is a free win. this isn't actually good, though.

if you don't go undefeated, your placing among other people with the same record is based on the win percentage of the players you played. Byes don't get anything added to their score, which usually puts them lower than other players.c

This affects two things: The level of people you play in top cut, and if you're an x-2 for example, whether or not you actually make it to top cut.

also rob, tio doesn't have a swiss-elimination setting, but I have the software that is used for Yugioh tournaments, which will suffice.

shiva39

Smash Journeyman
That's one of the great things about Swiss--at most 1 player gets a buy each round, unlike DE where the further away from a 2-power you are the more byes there are.

Edit: late

I'm fairly certain that we will finish in literally half the time for both events (well we've got less players this time too), leaving time for crews or something, or just getting dinner early and not going home at 3am :)

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Results for Dooryuken!

Final Results:

1: Axe
2: GG7
3: Tai
4: Rubyiris
5: South Paw
5: Nicknyte
7: Okami
7: Tag

Results for swiss:

1. Axe 5-0
2. Okami 4-1
3. Tai 4-1
4. Gamerguitarist7 4-1
5. Tag$ 3-2
6. Southpaw 3-2
7. Rubyiris 3-2
8. Nicknyte 3-2

9. Frosty 3-2
10. Kamen 2-3
11. Shiv 2-3
12. Book 2-3
13. Max 2-3
14. Iron Dragon 2-3
15. Dylan 1-4
16. AZ 1-4
17. Jared 1-4
18. Paul G 0-5

Results for the crew battle:

Team SV+Tucson:

Axe
V3ctorman
Rubyiris
OkamiBW
Shivknight
Nicknyte
Tag$

vs

Team Phoenix+Tucson:

Taj
GamerGuitarist7
Tai
Jackie Tran
Southpaw
Frosty
Jared

Tag$ beats Frosty with 3 stocks remaining
Jared beats Tag$ with 1 stock remaining
Rubyiris beats Jared with 4 stocks remaining
Rubyiris beats Jackie Tran with 1 stock remaining
Gamerguitarist7 beats Rubyiris with 4 stocks remaining
Gamerguitarist7 beats Shivknight with 2 stocks remaining
Axe beats Gamerguitarist7 with 4 stocks remaining
Axe beats Taj with 4 stocks remaining*
Axe beats The Bronze Kneecap (sub for Tai) with 4 stocks remaining*
Axe beats Southpaw with 3 stocks remaining*

SV+Tucson wins with 14 stocks remaining.

*Disclaimer: Phoenix decided to troll the live stream by going almost all falcon. the legitimate part of the crew battle ended after GG7.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
*Disclaimer: Phoenix decided to troll the live stream by going almost all falcon. the legitimate part of the crew battle ended after GG7.
We weren't trying to troll the live stream
We were trying to troll your crew
Except there was one giant flaw in our plan

Our waitress is hot, you all have ****ty taste in women for not noticing her athletic bod.
Who the *** disagreed with that?

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
*Modak theme*

I was like the only one checking her out, you all were distracted.

I was also the only one whose order she remembered, chika chika yeah.

I don't think Brittany works there anymore, we haven't seen her there in the past few months.

From a an outsider's view point:

Why was GG7 and Axe on the same side of the bracket? lol
Rob rigged the bracket like always.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
*Modak theme*

I was like the only one checking her out, you all were distracted.

I was also the only one whose order she remembered, chika chika yeah.

I don't think Brittany works there anymore, we haven't seen her there in the past few months.
Nah bro, I got you covered on both lolz.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Don't worry Jackie, I was checking her out too lol. Idk how obvious that was though. Spencer probably saw me looking at her haha. And she remembered my order too =) She wasn't like super hot though but she looked nice imo :)

I think GG7 and I were on the same side for 2 reasons:

1) Okami rigged the bracket as ALWAYS (lol)
2) GG7 lost his first round in the swiss tourney to South Paw, so I think he got seeded below Okami and Tai.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
okami rigged the bracket
that's the only reason i got 3rd and not 1st or 2nd

if okami didn't rig the bracket
i would've beat axe and gg7

god
makes me so mad
i shouldn't be losing to these guys
i would wreck them if the brackets weren't so rigged

quick question:
when does okami go home to socal for the summer?
or in other words, how many more monthlies are we gonna have before then?

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Vids coming today. I've rendered everything up to Winners Finals (me vs Axe) so far.

Only (tourney) matches that I have left to render are Tai vs GG7 and GG7 vs Axe (Set 2), then I'll do the crew battle LOLLLLL

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
1. Okami did not rig the bracket. The reason Axe and Chris were on the same bracket was entirely based on Chris' placement in swiss.

After swiss it goes as following:

1st plays 8th
2nd plays 7th
3rd plays 6th
4th plays 5th

You don't seed that bracket for region/skill/etc. It's a finalized bracket, pre-seeded based on the top 8 from swiss elimination. Sure, sometimes something unfavorable like players whom met in swiss get paired together, or players within the same skill or region get placed together, but it's their fault for not performing as well as they should have LOL.

AXE 09

Smash Master
You rock Tai :) Thanks for recording/uploading.

And thanks to Okami for streaming/ running the tourney / rigging the bracket.

And thanks to Taj (and Vman I think?) for commentating.

And thanks to Jared for getting us all pizza!!!!

And thanks to everyone else for being awesome :)

EDIT:

Just to make things clear, we always say that Rob rigs the bracket just as a joke lol. He ran everything perfectly as far as I know.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Okami didn't rig the bracket give him a break. Shiv and I are the ones who pretty much ran swiss the entire tournament, no disrespect to Rob, but you guys really need to stop that crap.

If you didn't like the way bracket came out, tough ****. Chris lost to Southpaw and that messed with his playoff bracket.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Okami didn't rig the bracket give him a break. Shiv and I are the ones who pretty much ran swiss the entire tournament, no disrespect to Rob, but you guys really need to stop that crap.

If you didn't like the way bracket came out, tough ****. Chris lost to Southpaw and that messed with his playoff bracket.
You should read the edit on my last post lol. I'm guessing you already started your post before I edited it. My bad =/

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Okami didn't rig the bracket give him a break.
1. Okami did not rig the bracket.
No.

Okami is a bad TO because he rigs every single bracket. I think Okami should be banned from GSG3 and Genesis 2 because he's gonna find a way to rig those.

If Okami didn't rig the Doryuuken bracket, I would have gotten first.

Bracket rigging is the only reason I didn't beat Axe and GG7

:troll:

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
okami really didn't run the tourney yesterday though, lol. sure he set up the stream, but otherwise it was shiv and I who rallied everybody to play their games, explained how swiss worked to the people who weren't exactly sure how things went. Okami tried to help out for the first round, but I think he might have gotten overwhelmed, or just wanted to socialize/do other things, and just stopped caring lol. He spent most of the time operating the stream with taj and vman, so props there lol.

not trying to demean rob or anything. ****, we started singles around 3 and grand finals were finished at 8:30 PM. That's record time, and the stream was great for the most part, thanks to rob/vman/taj, just okami really didn't "run" the tourney (like usual, tbh.) he got things set up and just kinda... neglected to do his TO duties. Shiv is the real TO in AZ, to be quite honest. He's the one who's always on top of things. Rob does do a good job of getting things started though.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
shoutouts:

1. Axe: We played Falco dittos! Yay!

2. Okami: You seemed really upset after you lost to Coti and I. You should really learn to take your losses in stride. As of now, you have yet to beat me at a monthly. All of your wins versus me are at small Tucson-only tournaments, and two grudge matches. Sure, we're currently tied in terms of wins/losses, but all of my wins have been when it mattered the most, and every time we've met up in bracket, I've out-placed you, and the only time we went OOS together, I out-placed you. I think it's time you start giving respect where respect is due.

Also; It would be nice if you spent more time managing your own tournament. It's like as soon as you set things up, you just stop caring. If Shiv, and I who were both in the tournament can continue to manage it, play our matches in a timely manner, AND socialize, then I think there's no excuse for you not to manage your own tournaments.

Also I don't mean any of this in any disrespect at all. You're the reason why AZ has any semblance of organization at the moment, and we appreciate it greatly. We just wish you were more assertive.

3. Tai: I'll get you one of these days.b

4. Gamerguitarist7: I should have went all Falco. Why is it that even if you're having an off-day, you still **** me? =[

5. Tag$: You were like a ghost this tournament!

6. Southpaw: Good stuff beating Chris, Okami, and Shiv!

7. Rubyiris: Boss-status.

8. Nicknyte: The BIGGER boss.

9. Frosty: You HELLA improved.

10. Kamen: You're pretty good. Btw, the reason your dsmash didn't come out was because I uaired you. You didn't fall off the platform or anything like that. Sh uair hits just above the platform, and is a very good tool of beating out dsmash happy peaches. You're really good though. Keep playing!

11. Shiv: the 2-3 record disappoints me. You played very well today! If only you were just a little more on top of your game. Oh well, just keep at 'em. Really good stuff on basically running the tournament, yesterday. Arizona's TRUE TO!

12. Book: Thanks for the friendlies. I think you need more experience. It's nice to see you're incorporating ftilt spacing and wd oos. You're capable of taking games off me now, though, so there's definite improvement!

13. Max: Damn, you're pretty good for someone I've never heard of before! It's always cool to meet unknowns who know wassup. Just keep training with Chris and you'll get mad good! We should also exchange contact info at some point and I'll see about hopping in on that!

14. Iron Dragon: I think if you went Fox you should have gotten top 8.

15. Dylan: You're randomly amazing at times. Just keep watching videos and playing with Rob and you'll be the business! Your instant-walljump stuff was mad hype! You have MAD style! <3.

16. AZ: I don't really think we talked or played, sorry. =[

17. Jared: Very refreshing style of Peach. You had me really worried with how well you were doing against me game 2. Held the lead up until my last stock, then I kinda just brought out turbo mode, lol.

18. Paul G: I don't think we talked or played either.

Tim: You da bess, but you're still a ***** for not entering.
Taj: I'm upset that we didn't play any friendlies. You're always mad fun to play with. =]
Jackie: get money, get payed, lose to someone worse than you in crew battles. =]
Jordan: You're pretty cool. Play Melee+64. =]

To the AZ smash community as a whole:

I love the **** out of you guys, but most of you are very lazy. If we get our act together and start doing things more punctually, this won't have to be my last tournament. Even with Shiv rallying people together, people keep not really listening to him and still meander around for another 5-10 minutes. This happened every round, and with that alone, we could have ended at 7:30 PM intead of 8:30 PM, for example.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
1. Axe: Looking like Charlie Sheen up in here!!! Congrats on your billionth tourney win at an AZ thing.

2. GG7: Haha, your Falcon is so homo :embarrass: There's no shame in losing to you, but I'm never gonna stop trying to come for dat ass :) I'll see you in game 5 next time!!

3. Tai: Keep it up, cool guy.

4. Rubyiris: You have gotten better.

5. South Paw: Good stuff. Nice to see you actually play pretty well in tourney, for once.

5. Nicknyte: DO IT FOR VAUGHN

7. Okami: Good stuff vs me. You're pretty legit now, so I can accept this loss, for now. Well, I'll accept it as much as I'd be able to accept a loss to Xander or Kyle. I think I've made more improvement in the Sheik MU than I ever have in any of the intervals between our encounters, and expect it to be harder and harder every time, no homo ;)

7. Tag: Haha, sup. We didn't really talk or play much, but it was still nice seeing you.

9. Frosty: Glad you were able to make it out to this tourney. It makes me glad to see confirmation that you're getting a lot better! Keep it up :)

10. Kamen: GGs. Didn't really talk or hang

11. Shiv: DUDE it's gonna be so tight when you move back to Phoenix :)

13. Max: You're surprisingly good.

14. Iron Dragon: Nice to see you, even though you don't really play anymore.

15. Dylan: You are the five best rappers of all time.

17. Jared: DUDE, thank you SO MUCH for the pizza! :bee: That was so legit!

OkamiBW

Smash Champion
First of all, let me apologize for being upset at the tournament. I was having an off-day. I know that I need to get more than 6 hours of sleep per night.

As far as I know, after 12:30, when people started actually showing up...late as usual...I didn't play any friendlies at all until after I was eliminated from the tournament, 6 hours later. In fact, I was accommodating others who came to the tournament by in essence, giving them a discount on their food. Jeff can vouch for this. In addition, the livestream died and I had to fix that as well. Shiv is a great co-host too.

However, you, Xander, are a little whelp. I appreciate that you were defending me about not rigging the bracket, but you're still one of the biggest jerks out there. You're constantly telling me how bad of a TO I am, and to be quite honest, every single time you over exaggerate. I'll give you your respect. I'll even give you respect after I beat you. But you have to realize that being a tool isn't going to help.

You know what the best part is? You're not even going to read this. You won't take any of this to heart and say, "Hmm...maybe I am a jerk and I should stop. Perhaps I've made my point clear enough."

I also want to note that until you apologize for being such a jerk, I don't want you being a part of running the tournament in any way.

P.S. I have 110% more respect for Tai than you right now, Xander.

YEAH!

Smash Journeyman
okami you just need to be real with people instead of thinking about how to say it nicely to them and just tell them to fuck off. thats it god damn man. you need to be assertive and say "youre a bitch" and just walk away. lol and btw fuck you for kicking me out of the room. XD

Top Bottom