• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping: Is it TRULY that annoying?

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
I trip on average about three to four times a match... its horrible. I main Sonic and it completely ruins my combos at times. :(

shadydentist

Smash Lord
The controversy is that the game mechanic exists at all. The short of it is that tripping should not have been a part of this game. There is absolutely no good justification to taking control away from the player.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
I think tripping was added just to add randomness in ultra competitive players.
Dunno if you noticed but brawl seems to go that way : more random (=tournament-banned) stages, random chars (lucario can be an example, and would I need to mention olimar ?) and not to forget the items...

So what ? Maybe Sakurai thinks luck is a parameter you need to consider if you want to win at smash, no matter how competitive you play.

And after all, even an item-banned-final-destination'd-3 stock-5 minutes 1v1 melee battle can be unbalanced just cause one player got a bit of luck no ?

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Let me clarify. I got KO'd in that ditto because I tripped and got hit with the f-tilt before I had the chance to do anything about it. Not to mention that was the only time I tripped into that match.
Also, tripping happens when trying to execute WALKING as well. Tripping disgraces all the characters in this game.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
tripping saves, tripping kill tripping annoys and when ur oppenent trips ur happy. its just like that /end thread

there will be people who find out how not or at least decrease chances of it. its really just to distrub and interrupt your game plan. i find it just like wtf get up.

the thing is no game has ever done this. no fighting one at least

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Tripping...

I love it and I hate it. It makes for hilarious moments, and it makes for "I shouldn't have died there" moments.

That being said, it doesn't ruin the game.

Dizzy T

Smash Rookie
I think tripping does kinda stop you in your tracks, countless times im about to atack someone then i trip and it completely destroys my combo and lets the opponant get a chance to attack argh. it does allot for some phyce out tactics, when you trip you could roll behind them and attack, etc

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Uhh, ok have fun. Could you calm down maybe? You're really trying your hardest to prove me wrong on every single point aren't you? Sorry to say this, but i don't really care what you think anymore.And i wasn't inciting a flame war i was just saying tough luck.What am i supposed to say "Oh yeah i changed my mind, tripping is so horrible i'm ganna quit brawl now and kill myself" no it's luck and if you're unlucky enough to trip that many times there isn't jack **** me OR nintendo can do about it.
So basically you won't listen to anything nor will you actually have an actual discussion other than LOL you're wrong suck it up?
great.

If you change your mind even better but so far, you haven't provided a shred of reason why tripping isn't bad or why it doesn't ruin competitive gameplay. You haven't provided any reason whatsoever as to why people shouldn't be concerned other than the phrase, its there, deal with it. So tell me why SHOULD we deal with it? Why should a game have a random luck based factor that utterly screws some characters over? Why should we, as the consumer deal with something that we honestly did not want.
because Nintendo handed it to us?
Christ such a crap attitude like that no wonder we often get half baked games that aren't worth the 40 dollar price tag.

Samuman

Smash Apprentice
I actually like it; however random it is, it leaves margin for error in your fluid movement. Yeah, it's annoying as hell, but it adds a new dimension of movement, and it's not like tripping is a complete death sentence anyway.

Zanmato145

Smash Rookie
I'm actually very VERY angry at tripping right now. My buddy holds a weekly brawl tournament, which about 20-30 people attend per week, the buy in is 10 bucks, winner takes the whole pot. I got to the final match, we were both at 2 wins, going at the best of 5. It all buckles down to my diddy vs his Metaknight, i'm fond of diddy's dash attack, it opens up tons of variety for diddy's next move. But what happens? I trip right into a D-smash, killing me, and losing me.

I dwell on this for a long time. I go into training mode and have my friend dsmash as soon as I go into my dash attack, they cancel eachother out. I wasn't garunteed a loss nor a win. But thanks to tripping I was garunteed a loss.

eyestrain92

Smash Journeyman
This one time, I tripped over my shoe laces.

Now I wear velcro. True story.
First time I broke a bone I tripped over my shoe laces.

In hundred metre races.

Hundred metre races.

Yeah, velcro is for squares =P Too bad there's not velcro for Brawl now isn't it?

Laager

Smash Rookie
ehhh.

I've tripped to win once. He saw the trip, I saw the trip. I rolled b4 I was hit and smashed a victory.

ashark8doom

Smash Rookie
I don;t complain about it, but it is stupid. I have been saved by it and smashed by it. It is just really silly and for the life of me I can't figure out why the designers thought this would be a cool concept.

jalued

Smash Lord
i find that the only really annoying thing about tripping is when you are setting up for a meteor strike or knockback vs a recovering opponent, and then you trip up... completely ruining the kill and they stay alive due to blind luck. Apart form that, tripping doesn't bother me tbh

MrPancakes

Smash Rookie
I don't really think it ruins the game. But it really really annoys me when I trip cause there isn't a reason to add tripping in the first place. =.=

SmashMan_026

Smash Apprentice
I HATE TRIPPING. I was once having an intense match with my best friend as shiek and we were at opposite ends of Final Destination, I decided to charge him to end it. I TRIPPED AND RUINED THE MOMENT! My friend then proceeded to laugh hysterically, so i kicked him off anyway.

Sonic_VS_Mario

Smash Cadet
i really dont see any cons cause ive tripped only once since brawl was relesed and i play every day. and the time that i did trip had no change on the game i was in atm

cwjalex

Smash Journeyman
i really dont see any cons cause ive tripped only once since brawl was relesed and i play every day. and the time that i did trip had no change on the game i was in atm
the reason a lot of scrubs have only tripped once or twice since brawl's release is usually as simple as they are not dashing. if you just sit still, only roll and do attacks from a stationary position then you won't EVER trip.

Sonic_VS_Mario

Smash Cadet
the reason a lot of scrubs have only tripped once or twice since brawl's release is usually as simple as they are not dashing. if you just sit still, only roll and do attacks from a stationary position then you won't EVER trip.
i run quite a bit i hardly ever walk i dont see the point in walking if your batling and i role not to commonly either so maybe im just lucky or maybe tripping is not made to happen frequantly

QERB

Banned via Warnings
I think tripping is just another john that people use for losing a game or missing a combo...it really isn't a competition changing additon imo

SmashMan_026

Smash Apprentice
i read that they put it in to put an end to dash dancing... i like dash dancing. that and maybe they put it in to get rid of foxtrot. many slow chars were made faster when they did foxtrot.

idk for sure i read it at brawl central.

Mann

Smash Ace
i read that they put it in to put an end to dash dancing... i like dash dancing. that and maybe they put it in to get rid of foxtrot. many slow chars were made faster when the did foxtrot.

idk for sure i read it at brawl central.
"I read this here. I read this there. This is what they said. This is what he/she said."

If it's not from the people who helped make the game, then we are still all just speculating.

The dash dancing is already hard enough to do with how fast you have to flick back and forth.

I think tripping is just another john that people use for losing a game or missing a combo...it really isn't a competition changing additon imo
Because if you trip when you're about to do a dash attack, and then get Fsmashed by a Wario isn't really anything. Yup.

SmashMan_026

Smash Apprentice
"I read this here. I read this there. This is what they said. This is what he/she said."

If it's not from the people who helped make the game, then we are still all just speculating.

The dash dancing is already hard enough to do with how fast you have to flick back and forth.

Because if you trip when you're about to do a dash attack, and then get Fsmashed by a Wario isn't really anything. Yup.
you dont have to get all hostile on me i just didnt want to make it look like i was making a stupid suggestion. cripes

NorrYtt

Smash Cadet
Seems like a balance to characters that dash tons, I'm guessing mainly Fox and Falco. Seems like at high competition it's all-upside to just keep moving around, even in place. It's the same in DotA, and it's kind of crappy.

There was probably much discussion of how fast = good, and tripping was the developer's solution.

UltimateZ

Smash Rookie
I hate tripping really. I don't see much of a point to it, and it annoys me. Especially when the match starts and you trip on the 2ND STEP! I also play Sonic alot, so when I run around like a maniac Ive always got a fear over my back of me tripping into an opponent's thrown Smart Bomb or Smash attack.

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
For the casual gamer, tripping's okay, it doesn't happen too often, and it can make you lose a stock but oh well, it happens.

However, in the competitive scene, this is a nightmare, games scan be won or lost on PURE CHANCE. Granted, it's unlikely, but it is still possible, and completely unfair for someone in that match, whether the person has evaded his/her opponent's final blow, or the opponent taking advantage of the trip, it is still based on pure luck.

With competition, nothing is left to chance, that's why you don't see Final Smashes in Tournaments.

Adding tripping is like adding an item to the competitive scene, completely random, just not nearly as often.

Top Bottom