• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping: Is it TRULY that annoying?

Random_X

Smash Rookie
I find it quite annoying. I have not yet gotten killed by it(yet), but I have had now multiple running up smash opportunities that end up me tripping right in front of the opponent while I have been practicing. It's fine during that, but if this happened in a tournament, I know I would have been dead. Worst mechanic in Smash Brothers EVER!

Defiance

Smash Apprentice
It's supposed to spice things up, add some variety and flavour to the game. If you trip, you have think quick and do something to save your ace, or get rocked. Yes, sometimes you can't help it and you will get rocked regardless, but that happens in life. Competetive players like to remove every random aspect of the game so it comes down to "pure skill," but true tactics and ability lie in deal with problems spontaneously and creatively. When life gives you a lemon, you either sit there and whine about how it tripped you, or you suck it up and realize that it isn't actually that sour and you are going to have to deal with it.

Exar_Kun

Smash Rookie
I really do not mind ground tripping that much as it eliminates dash dancing and punishes for jamming the control stick from side to side. I mostly never trip because I gradually move the stick all the way to the side versus jamming and tripping hasn't been a problem ever since.

Now AIR tripping...that pisses me off. I don't know how one can physically trip in the air but I guess in the evolution of the smash world physics just are not that big of a deal, right Sakurai?1

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
You obviously haven't had it happen at the WORST POSSIBLE TIME. It was a Snake ditto. Me and my opponent had over 110% and 1 stock left and with less than a minute remaining. Once I returned to the stage my Snake tripped and I got hit and KO'd before I could do anything out of it.
If I wanted to play a game with a luck based element that can screw you over, I would play Mario Party.
Uhh... yeah I have, MANY times. Like I said before I find it amusing. It's called adapting. Learn it, use it.

If you're going to complain about anything, let's complain about being able to use a final smash more than once... Getting ko'd all three times by End of Day, not THAT **** is annoying...

Eff_Soul

Smash Cadet
Well it shouldnt matter that much and depending on your character it shouldnt make a big difference anyway.Like with link your required to keep a decent amount of space between your character,(this should be with about any character regardless if there offensive or defensive)so everytime I tripped it wasnt punishable to the extent of losing.And I havent seen much matches where trips have determined a match.Ive even had own enemies trip,and i rushed to kill them with a hyphensmash and they were able to DI out of it.I think its a good thing though because it enforces the player to not be so offense.Do you remember the matches in melee when a marth could just rampage through the match just his airs and chain grabs and it would be impossible to stop the abuse.Tripping allows players to turn the tides a bit.

King Zeal

Smash Cadet
Don't give me this Peach stitchface/beam sword crap. The actual pull may be random, but what proceeds certainly isn't. Your ability to play defensively overcome Peach's good luck is 100% skill-based after the pull happens. If you get hit by a stitchface turnip, that's YOUR fault. Stichfaces can be avoided just like any turnip, and all turnips can be avoided with skill. Comparing tripping to Peach's random pulls would be more accurate if, for example, Peach sometimes (though infrequently) pulled a magic wand out of the ground that instantly added damage to your % on the spot, and occasionally just plain insta-KO'd you. (To simulate the times that you trip and your opponent gets a free hit on you, rolling/invincibility frames be ****ed.)
If the random pull comparison doesn't apply, then neither does yours. Tripping doesn't cause you to instantly lose the match. It CAN create situations where you lose the advantage or where you are left open, but you don't trip and instantly lose.

I still don't get the problem with the pull comparison, though. You say the motto is "don't get hit". Realistically speaking, that's unlikely to happen against an opponent of equal skill (that's my keyword there). Against such an opponent, it's highly likely that you will eventually eat a turnip. Whether or not it's a turnip of death is a matter of chance. Sure, if you're truly "better" than your opponent, it's likely you can avoid some, if not all, projectiles and avoid the chance of getting hit by a random beam sword. Likewise, I have yet to see a pro lose a match due to tripping to an opponent of lesser skill. Against an opponent of lesser skill, you actually have less of a chance of losing a game because of a trip than you do from getting hit by a random turnip of death.

Also the comparisons to poker are just dumb. YES, poker does involve chance. YES, poker players are sometimes, hell, even OFTEN punished for making the right call. They often LOSE even though they played better than their opponent. Guess what? A lot of us think that just sucks. If you want to GAMBLE, go play poker. If you want to compete, play Smash. (lol well not anymore I guess with all this tripping! :p)
Punished for making the right call? That's not uncommon. Every time you lay your cards on the table, it's a risk that could potentially lead to punishment. The same is true for any fighting game with a risk/reward system. Competition and "gambling" are not mutually exclusive. As I said before, I don't think tripping is a good thing, but I see its effect on Brawl as minimal. It's an annoyance, but one that has to be dealt with. That's all.

@King Zeal. Tripping doesn't have to completely destroy the competitive scene for it to be a bad, stupid thing. If it decides even ONE important tournament, then its done all the damage it needs to. Professional players WILL be ready to act if their opponent trips, and they WILL have a chance to punish them for it. It will happen.
Then that means better players will know how to adapt to it and punish. A lesser player will not. That's the point I'm trying to make here.

Say you're heatedly playing a game and all of a sudden, for no reason, your character simply explodes. How is that in any way a redeemable occurrence?
Doesn't that happen in the game already? I see the possibility of losing to a counter-pick stage like Rainbow Cruise or Corneria as a higher possibility than losing to a trip.

The point is, tripping doesn't have to be the destroyer of worlds to be a bad thing. A trip can, and one will, decide a match, and there's no excuse for that. There's no justification. Tournaments are supposed to be genuine tests of skill and skill alone. They're taken seriously, and people work hard to win. But 1 in every so many players loses solely because of a trip? That's just stupid. That's like picking a player at random and informing them they'll not be allowed to win today.

How is that possibly a good thing?
It's not. Again, I've NEVER said that tripping is good. It's a stupid thing that Nintendo should not have put in the game. Brawl would be a much more technical game if it did not exist. However, since it is, we have to make the best of it. Learn to work around it. (Note, I'm not saying "eliminate" it, as I realize that's realistically impossible). But, you seem to agree that it's not the destroyer of worlds. It's just another thing to worry about. A lot of competitions have random occurences that don't stop the sport from being competitive. Sports have random injuries. When that happens, teams don't break down and talk about how unfair the game is. They are forced to adapt. That's what I'm saying here.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Uhh... yeah I have, MANY times. Like I said before I find it amusing. It's called adapting. Learn it, use it.

If you're going to complain about anything, let's complain about being able to use a final smash more than once... Getting ko'd all three times by End of Day, not THAT **** is annoying...

Except the FS is an item that can be turned off, or even better you can just stall respawning or even better, LRN2DODGE.

You can't adapt to trippin, you can't turn it off, its entirely random.
There are NO invincibility frames so there is NO use whatsoever.
So if you are getting ledgeguarded and you manage to make it abck and you trip your opponent won't ahve a probably Fsmashing you to oblivion.

People have a good reason to complain about a random game mechanic that can ruin skill based play.

blue_dragon

Smash Apprentice
For those saying that the op should have lost, how many of you have died a split second before you won on Corneria? You should have won, but a feature in the game prevented that. It has been said that you can see lasers coming, but not tripping. If that was possibly true, then how are people tripping into Ike f-smashes? The opponant plays defensively and accounts for the possibility of tripping, while you are too busy thinking of how to attack to account for it. You think too far ahead. At this point, you have two options:

1) Play more defensively
2) Think of what you will do if you may trip. Spacing it so that the beginning of a dash may be ended outside of your opponant's range would work.

Tripping won't be as much of a problem a few months from now when people start to recognize that dashing could lead to tripping.

And for those saying that the player chooses to down-b with peach, and that they don't choose to trip.

Cause: Down-b
Effect: Bomb

Cause: Dash
Effect: Trip

Both are random outcomes and both are caused by the player. It isn't something put in to punish people for moving, it's just to punish those who move using the same method over and over again.

EDIT: And people don't just say, "Get over it!", do something to help them get over it. You aren't being helpful at all.

Eff_Soul

Smash Cadet
For those saying that the op should have lost, how many of you have died a split second before you won on Corneria? You should have won, but a feature in the game prevented that. It has been said that you can see lasers coming, but not tripping. If that was possibly true, then how are people tripping into Ike f-smashes? The opponant plays defensively and accounts for the possibility of tripping, while you are too busy thinking of how to attack to account for it. You think too far ahead. At this point, you have two options:

1) Play more defensively
2) Think of what you will do if you may trip. Spacing it so that the beginning of a dash may be ended outside of your opponant's range would work.

Tripping won't be as much of a problem a few months from now when people start to recognize that dashing could lead to tripping.

And for those saying that the player chooses to down-b with peach, and that they don't choose to trip.

Cause: Down-b
Effect: Bomb

Cause: Dash
Effect: Trip

Both are random outcomes and both are caused by the player. It isn't something put in to punish people for moving, it's just to punish those who move using the same method over and over again.

EDIT: And people don't just say, "Get over it!", do something to help them get over it. You aren't being helpful at all.

1.Thats all there is too it.All you can do is just play defensive and if it happens,youll have a better chance of not getting punished.

2. But you can always dodge a turnip or Bomb.You cant dodge a trip.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
1) Or approach differently
2) But you can prevent punishing after a trip.

Might I ask how you are supposed to avoid being punished? Granted you can attack but if your opponent is intelligent he'll just shield grab you.
Playing defensively does not work for a couple of characters so how are they supposed to play.

Tripping is random and cannot be controlled. No invincibility frames, not possible to know when or how to prevent it. I am not saying tripping is gamebreaking but it has the potential to ruin a game.

Your opponent doesn't back away and use an Fsmash cause he thinks you'll trip, its because he is playing defensively and trying to control spacing, not trying to take advantage of tripping.
Tripping just happens to be coincedental not something he thought of in his calculations.
I know when I fsmashed Ike who tripped I sure as heck didn't think he would trip at that moment when he was at 20% damage.

The bomb is a controlled random since you know it will happen eventually within a given circumstance and can account for it. It is basically the same as dodging that turnip. Yeah its a lot faster in movement speed and damage and knockback, but you know how it functions, how it can move as well as the fact you can catch it or counter it.

King Zeal

Smash Cadet
Might I ask how you are supposed to avoid being punished? Granted you can attack but if your opponent is intelligent he'll just shield grab you.
This seems like a case of anticipation to me. If you believe your opponent will attack or shield grab, you can roll. If you believe they will techchase and grab, you can attack. I'm far from an expert in the game, but wouldn't a mixup of this type be the case?

Tripping is random and cannot be controlled. No invincibility frames, not possible to know when or how to prevent it. I am not saying tripping is gamebreaking but it has the potential to ruin a game.
I've heard several people, even those who despise tripping, say that there ARE invincibility frames. Are you sure there aren't any?

The bomb is a controlled random since you know it will happen eventually within a given circumstance and can account for it. It is basically the same as dodging that turnip. Yeah its a lot faster in movement speed and damage and knockback, but you know how it functions, how it can move as well as the fact you can catch it or counter it.
You know tripping will happen eventually, too. You know what your options are afterwards. As I said before, it seems to me that the likelihood of someone getting hit by a random bomb/beam sword/gordo is higher than getting punished for a random trip.

As a side note, here's what I don't get: Every person I've argued with so far has said that although they hate tripping (as do most of us), they admit that it's not gamebreaking, that it won't ruin Brawl entirely, and that it's simply a stupid thing that can randomly screw up a match, however unlikely. Doesn't that basically answer the question of the thread already?

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
This seems like a case of anticipation to me. If you believe your opponent will attack or shield grab, you can roll. If you believe they will techchase and grab, you can attack. I'm far from an expert in the game, but wouldn't a mixup of this type be the case?
yes but as I mentioned before for some characters they don't do too well if they aren't the one's controlling the speed of the game.
Case in point would be my main Sonic whom if you do not control the pace of the game and hold your advantage, you can easily get crushed since you have limited options when you're trying to regain the upper hand.
Its why I find tripping such a nuisance since my main is harmed more often than not cause of it.
I've heard several people, even those who despise tripping, say that there ARE invincibility frames. Are you sure there aren't any?
I am pretty sure.
Each time I've tripped during all points it was possible for me to get smashed.
The only time I was invincible was using an attack to get up or rolling away but anytime during the actual tripping I was vulnerable.

You know tripping will happen eventually, too. You know what your options are afterwards. As I said before, it seems to me that the likelihood of someone getting hit by a random bomb/beam sword/gordo is higher than getting punished for a random trip.
I agree halfway with you. Since most characters are going to take advanta geof tripping not with a hit but by pressuring and taking control of the match. granted with Ike this isn't as much of an issue but if you're facing Marth he can quickly capitalize on the situation.
Especially since most characters need close range fighting in order to have a chance and if you trip the chance for that character being punished is greater.

i.e. Ike/Ganandorf/Sonic.
Yes you can limit the chances by using aerial attacks but for Sonic, Ganandorf and Ike they are easily outdone in the air due to slow speed or priority in Sonic's case.

As a side note, here's what I don't get: Every person I've argued with so far has said that although they hate tripping (as do most of us), they admit that it's not gamebreaking, that it won't ruin Brawl entirely, and that it's simply a stupid thing that can randomly screw up a match, however unlikely. Doesn't that basically answer the question of the thread already?
Yep. I said the same thing also, I believe the discussion is about how potentially damage tripping can be. Perhaps it would be fairer to say that tripping can affect some characters more so than others.

King Zeal

Smash Cadet
yes but as I mentioned before for some characters they don't do too well if they aren't the one's controlling the speed of the game.
Case in point would be my main Sonic whom if you do not control the pace of the game and hold your advantage, you can easily get crushed since you have limited options when you're trying to regain the upper hand.
Its why I find tripping such a nuisance since my main is harmed more often than not cause of it.

I am pretty sure.
Each time I've tripped during all points it was possible for me to get smashed.
The only time I was invincible was using an attack to get up or rolling away but anytime during the actual tripping I was vulnerable.

I agree halfway with you. Since most characters are going to take advanta geof tripping not with a hit but by pressuring and taking control of the match. granted with Ike this isn't as much of an issue but if you're facing Marth he can quickly capitalize on the situation.
Especially since most characters need close range fighting in order to have a chance and if you trip the chance for that character being punished is greater.

i.e. Ike/Ganandorf/Sonic.
Yes you can limit the chances by using aerial attacks but for Sonic, Ganandorf and Ike they are easily outdone in the air due to slow speed or priority in Sonic's case.

Yep. I said the same thing also, I believe the discussion is about how potentially damage tripping can be. Perhaps it would be fairer to say that tripping can affect some characters more so than others.
That's a very good point. I main a distance-fighter (Samus), so when I trip, it's usually not a problem. If I'm close enough to be punished from a trip, then I'm already in trouble, especially against someone like Ike or Toon Link. However, I can see this being a problem for characters based on momentum (like Sonic).

Still, that just reiterates the point that tripping can throw off the tempo of a match. This is the truth, but it kind of reminds me of a random cone death in Halo. It has the potential to throw off a match, but it's up to the player to readjust.

blue_dragon

Smash Apprentice
I suppose I'll play the role of Lincoln here Shadow.

Suppose that a tip occurs in sudden death. The opponant advances. The player rolls the wrong way to recover and is killed. Now, did the player deserve to lose because he recovered wrong, or did he not deserve to lose because he tripped.

D

Deleted member

Look, it's definately got cons. But to be upset about something this miniscule, is just being plain whiny.
Let's review. Brawl has been the most anticipated game in a long time, especially for competitive play. Now, Nintendo has upwards of 35 professional, seasoned fighters of which all have a part in their own said games where their sole purpose is to kick the *** of the enemy, and all of which are either above average strength oh physique.

I have a great idea guys. Let's make people trip! And fall on their *****! Uncontrollably!

So you're going to tell me, game mechanics aside, you don't find it really, really, unnecessarily annoying that professional swordsmen, the fastest runners in the world, and things that ****ING FLY would simply fail to execute basic movement? What about ROB, you have a robot that can shoot explosive lasers, but it can't utilize basic functional mobility?

Tripping is horrendous, even more than most people give it credit for. Sakurai must have looked at smashboards and said to himself "Well, they turned off my gay items, banned my gay stages, so what can I do to really piss on their tournaments......I know, I'll add something that completely ruins competitive play AND can't be disabled! Take that ****ers!"

shatoga

Smash Cadet
I suppose I'll play the role of Lincoln here Shadow.

Suppose that a tip occurs in sudden death. The opponant advances. The player rolls the wrong way to recover and is killed. Now, did the player deserve to lose because he recovered wrong, or did he not deserve to lose because he tripped.
It's his fault for rolling the wrong way.If you can't decide on which way to roll while you've tripped, you're pretty stupid.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
It's really not that annoying. And everyone who acts like it is really is blowing this crap out of proportion. Yeah, it's stupid. Yeah, I wonder why they put it in, no, I don't think it's a life altering aspect of any fight. If it's that annoying, short hop everywhere. I don't think you can trip by landing, or at least it hasn't happened to me yet.

Every time I come around here, you guys are complaining about some miniscule aspect of Brawl. If you think you can't overcome a little tripping, go back and play Melee for 7 more years, the ones of us who like Brawl with any little "flaws" you guys can pick out will just start up new tournaments ourselves.

blue_dragon

Smash Apprentice
Let's review. Brawl has been the most anticipated game in a long time, especially for competitive play. Now, Nintendo has upwards of 35 professional, seasoned fighters of which all have a part in their own said games where their sole purpose is to kick the *** of the enemy, and all of which are either above average strength oh physique.

I have a great idea guys. Let's make people trip! And fall on their *****! Uncontrollably!

So you're going to tell me, game mechanics aside, you don't find it really, really, unnecessarily annoying that professional swordsmen, the fastest runners in the world, and things that ****ING FLY would simply fail to execute basic movement? What about ROB, you have a robot that can shoot explosive lasers, but it can't utilize basic functional mobility?

Tripping is horrendous, even more than most people give it credit for. Sakurai must have looked at smashboards and said to himself "Well, they turned off my gay items, banned my gay stages, so what can I do to really piss on their tournaments......I know, I'll add something that completely ruins competitive play AND can't be disabled! Take that ****ers!"
Hmm, maybe if there was another way to approach other than dashing...

Off topic - has anyone looked at the source code to see if tripping's actually random?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
actually, you can trip by jumping and doing other things as well. I once tripped out of a frikin shield grab. WTF?

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
That's a very good point. I main a distance-fighter (Samus), so when I trip, it's usually not a problem. If I'm close enough to be punished from a trip, then I'm already in trouble, especially against someone like Ike or Toon Link. However, I can see this being a problem for characters based on momentum (like Sonic).

Still, that just reiterates the point that tripping can throw off the tempo of a match. This is the truth, but it kind of reminds me of a random cone death in Halo. It has the potential to throw off a match, but it's up to the player to readjust.
Yes thats true but you can't help but feel annoyed when you trip randomly and end up losing the tempo of the match to a metaknight.
Christ I hate that character.
I have to play you sometime. ^_^

Off topic - has anyone looked at the source code to see if tripping's actually random?
You'll have to search it. To my knowledge noone has gotten into the game and looked into its source code. I would do it but i do not have the tools for it.
So far however it appears to be random since i tripped five times in a row at 0%

D

Deleted member

It's really not that annoying. And everyone who acts like it is really is blowing this crap out of proportion. Yeah, it's stupid. Yeah, I wonder why they put it in, no, I don't think it's a life altering aspect of any fight. If it's that annoying, short hop everywhere. I don't think you can trip by landing, or at least it hasn't happened to me yet.
You can trip upon landing, dashing, jumping, blocking, and executing attacks. Ever trip because you shot one of link's arrows? not funny.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
Except the FS is an item that can be turned off, or even better you can just stall respawning or even better, LRN2DODGE.

You can't adapt to trippin, you can't turn it off, its entirely random.
There are NO invincibility frames so there is NO use whatsoever.
So if you are getting ledgeguarded and you manage to make it abck and you trip your opponent won't ahve a probably Fsmashing you to oblivion.

People have a good reason to complain about a random game mechanic that can ruin skill based play.
Thanks I know you can turn the items off that wasn't what I was saying, learn to read...
Obviously you have tournament rules cramed into your skull and you can't understand that some people don't mind having items on, and in fact I like the fact that my friends ***** about it, turn them on and I STILL win without touching them.

and tell me exactly you're supposed to dodge the obnoxious damage end of day gives you? Because that doubled with the fact that he can use it MULTIPLE TIMES (understand what my complaint was about yet?) makes it rather annoying, more annoying that tripping...

you can adapt to any situation, if you're so worried about triping then you'll learn not to dash so much, or do what I've heard a few people do: Stick to the air. Wasn't brawl meant to be more air friendly this time around?

Mabye you need to get the concept out of your head that it is entirely random. It is random yes, but there are ways to minimize triping, and getting punished if it does happen to you (keep a decent space away from the enemy, stick to the air, dash only when you feel it's needed)

Plus like I said before, if your little skills are going to be crippled by something as small as a trip, you definitly need to find a new game...

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Tripping is not that bad.

As far as competitive games go with luck, a 1% chance for your opponents to "potentially" make you lose a stock is very good.

shatoga

Smash Cadet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmCtH2QTsPw&feature=related

Tripping is random.I hate how people find something like this as an excuse because they lost a match.WE ALL PLAY THE SAME GAME get used to it. If it happens to you, it can happen to anyone. Just like if you get caught underneath FD, you were just unlucky. And i bet you'll be happy as hell if you won a match because of tripping. I highly doubt you'll be like "THAT'S BS I SHOULDVE LOST, GRRR I'M SO MAD I WON THIS MATCH, GRRR!!1!!!1!!11"

D

Deleted member

If it happens to you, it can happen to anyone. Just like if you get caught underneath FD, you were just unlucky. And i bet you'll be happy as hell if you won a match because of tripping. I highly doubt you'll be like "THAT'S BS I SHOULDVE LOST, GRRR I'M SO MAD I WON THIS MATCH, GRRR!!1!!!1!!11"
So what am I supposed to do, being extremely unlucky? Just admit that I trip 3-4 times per stock? That's not a good answer.

edit: and yes, I do get mad when I win because of bull****.

shatoga

Smash Cadet
So what am I supposed to do, being extremely unlucky? Just admit that I trip 3-4 times per stock? That's not a good answer.
Please, i have never tripped more than 2 times a match.Neither have any of my friends that i've played with.I know i'm not the best brawl players, but i'm smart enough to know to do SOMETHING when i trip.And if you trip 3-4 times every stock, it's obviously NOT affecting your game that much.

CodeytheRhino

Smash Apprentice
It's not that bad. I dash nonstop with Tl and I trip maybe 1x a match, unless it's a stock match more than 10. It's annoying when trying to go into a RAR, but what can you do? It's not as bad as everyone is complaining about tho

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Thanks I know you can turn the items off that wasn't what I was saying, learn to read...
just so you can learn to stuff a foot in your mouth.

you mentioned Final smashes in your earlier post and asked if it was unfair if a FS can KO you three times. This links to your earlier argument concerning tripping and therefore my reply was appopriate since FS are items that can be controlled and tripping cannot be controlled.
LRN2WRITE
Obviously you have tournament rules cramed into your skull and you can't understand that some people don't mind having items on, and in fact I like the fact that my friends ***** about it, turn them on and I STILL win without touching them.
Well considering the fact that whenever you consider tripping you should look at it competitively during high level play because THAT is when tripping is going to be the most detrimental in your game.
Playing casually and competitively are entirely different.
This isn't to say casual are not extraordinarily skilled but during competitive play, all your strategies and motions are brought to play. During casual play there isn't so much of an emphasis and you won't be as quick to punish tripping.

and tell me exactly you're supposed to dodge the obnoxious damage end of day gives you? Because that doubled with the fact that he can use it MULTIPLE TIMES (understand what my complaint was about yet?) makes it rather annoying, more annoying that tripping...
Turn off smash balls.
you can adapt to any situation, if you're so worried about triping then you'll learn not to dash so much, or do what I've heard a few people do: Stick to the air. Wasn't brawl meant to be more air friendly this time around?
I main sonic.
Dashing is a MUST.
Sonic has very low pirority in the air meaning that his aerial game is crap if he tries to fight directly.
Not every character is suited for the air. you pit an MK against Snake in an aerial battle and he will get *****.
Marth against Samus, she gets slaughtered.
Luigi against Mario he gets murdered.
An aerial game is NOT the best for ALL characters and such a generalization is foolish since many characters do more poorly if you try to keep it mostly aerial.
Mabye you need to get the concept out of your head that it is entirely random. It is random yes, but there are ways to minimize triping, and getting punished if it does happen to you (keep a decent space away from the enemy, stick to the air, dash only when you feel it's needed)
As I mentioned in a post tripping can be detrimental depending on the character.
YOU need to get it out of your head that it is something you can adapt to.
Tell me if I am facing Ike and I use Sonic and I trip kindly tell me how I am NOT going to get punished.
Or even ebtter tell me how to play Sonic from a far distance so that I can actually ahve a chance at beating an Ike that is equally skilled, has better priority and range than me without making use of my speed and getting up close.
inf act tell me how soeone who has NO projectiles at all is going to be capable of camping effectively?
Yes you can avoid using dash but as I mentioned earlier this depends on individual characters.
Ike can do without dashing despite he gets to make use of his great range, Samus doesn't need to dash.
Mario? Stutter step=needs to dash
Sonic=needs to constantly be moving and stutter step.
Fox/Falco=Making use of that speed is a given you won't be using the character to their fullest if you are not using it.

Plus like I said before, if your little skills are going to crippled by something as small as a trip, you definitly need to find a new game...
I love elitist behavior.
You're complaining about an FS and yet you're telling me to find a new game over something that has the POTENTIAL to ruin someone's gameplay?
Yea, way to go.

Casually you don't need to worry, during then its only an annoyance but when it comes to competitive and you LOSE because your character tripped into an Fsmash you should have been able to avoid, then there are issues. Heck that is only reason why people are concerned about tripping, because brawl WILL have a large competitive scene. People don'tcocnern themselves in considering casual play doesn't have such an issue.
Its only at high level play that those random occurences can be an issue, especially if you main a close range fighter without any projectiles.

D

Deleted member

Please, i have never tripped more than 2 times a match.Neither have any of my friends that i've played with.I know i'm not the best brawl players, but i'm smart enough to know to do SOMETHING when i trip.And if you trip 3-4 times every stock, it's obviously NOT affecting your game that much.
that's great that you only trip twice per match. I don't, I average over 10 in a 3 stock 2 minute match, and it rips my gameplay apart. In fact, I often find that I lose because of tripping moreso than I'd lose normally. There's simply no good solution to fix that.

Best101

Smash Ace
Yes tripping is very annoying. On the Wind Waker stage I was about to KO my opponent but the background was shooting bombs at the stage. I'm more than skilled enough to easily dodge the bombs and attack my opponent at the same time. But as soon as the I dashed to attack my opponent (he was about to be four stocked) my character tripped and a bomb that the background was shooting at the stage had landed on me and KOed me. It's pretty funny but annoying if that happened on my final stock.

What's even more funny is that I tripped 5 times in less than one minute on Final Destination. You can't help but laugh after that. It's not at all annoying in a FFA though

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
This is why personal experience means nothing. You trip twice a match, while he trips twice a stock. When dealing with random, you have to deal with probability, not personal experiences. The smart option would be to completely disregard tripping, because 99 times out of 100 you would be right. And out of the times you do trip, less than 1/10 of them would be in a place that you could be severly punished (this fluctuates based on what style of play you have, obviously a Samus would not be punished as often as a Sonic.)

So the smart decision is to simply attack anyway. The problem is that there's a possibility that it will go horribly wrong, and that's what troubles us. If it can/ happen, then it's only a matter of time before it does, because the more matches that are played the greater chance this has of happening in one of those matches.

shatoga

Smash Cadet
that's great that you only trip twice per match. I don't, I average over 10 in a 3 stock 2 minute match, and it rips my gameplay apart. In fact, I often find that I lose because of tripping moreso than I'd lose normally. There's simply no good solution to fix that.
well then you're just unlucky.So...shut up lol.

Edit:
I still don't see how tripping is really that bad.Maybe i just have godly skills? Seriously though, why complain about tripping? What's nintendo ganna do now? Recall all the games, or release "Super Smash Brothers Brawl:No Tripping Addition!" and take even more of your money. There's no point in complaining about it now. If it bothers you so much, just stop playing brawl, and go back to meelee.I'll be over here enjoying my 50$.

ninjakoala

Smash Rookie
i think tripping was a wonderful addition to the game. sure it seems bad at first, but it just adds another level of gameplay.

and to those advanced players that worry it will mess up their game: assume that everytime that u move u will trip. and always have a backup plan to use if u were to trip.

u cant claim that u are better at the game, but lost the match b/c of tripping. b/c tripping is part of the game <b>just like items</b>

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
If you play like you assumed you would trip every time, you may as well unplug your controller.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
If the random pull comparison doesn't apply, then neither does yours. Tripping doesn't cause you to instantly lose the match. It CAN create situations where you lose the advantage or where you are left open, but you don't trip and instantly lose.
I never said it was the tripping itself that caused you to lose. BUT, being left open at the right time CAN cause you to lose, which you seem to agree with, so... okay.

I still don't get the problem with the pull comparison, though. You say the motto is "don't get hit". Realistically speaking, that's unlikely to happen against an opponent of equal skill (that's my keyword there). Against such an opponent, it's highly likely that you will eventually eat a turnip. Whether or not it's a turnip of death is a matter of chance. Sure, if you're truly "better" than your opponent, it's likely you can avoid some, if not all, projectiles and avoid the chance of getting hit by a random beam sword. Likewise, I have yet to see a pro lose a match due to tripping to an opponent of lesser skill. Against an opponent of lesser skill, you actually have less of a chance of losing a game because of a trip than you do from getting hit by a random turnip of death.
I know what you're saying. I suppose I wasn't entirely clear. It's just that 99% of the time, you opponent pulls a beam sword/stitchface and it turns into an "oh **** he's got a stitchface" moment-- that is, you can easily see what just happened and do your ****dest to stay out of the way of that turnip. YOU still have a say in whether or not you get hit or not. With tripping, sometimes you can react and not get hit, but sometimes you literally have NO say in whether or not you get punished.

Punished for making the right call? That's not uncommon. Every time you lay your cards on the table, it's a risk that could potentially lead to punishment. The same is true for any fighting game with a risk/reward system. Competition and "gambling" are not mutually exclusive. As I said before, I don't think tripping is a good thing, but I see its effect on Brawl as minimal. It's an annoyance, but one that has to be dealt with. That's all.
I explained in my post why tripping doesn't really work as a risk/reward system-- the risk of tripping is SO low that you should never, ever even take into account the chance of tripping when you are playing. If you have an opportunity, you should ALWAYS take it, because 99/100 times you will not trip. Poker is exactly the same. Imagine a poker game where every one of your hands had a 99% chance of winning. Would you EVER fold? At that point you are bound by a faulty system-- rationally, you should NEVER weigh in the 1% chance of losing into your decision. You are rationally bound to play the hand every single time, just as your are rationally bound to ignore the 1% chance in Brawl that your dash will turn into a trip. You are forced to just play normally, as if tripping did not exist, if you want to compete.

Then that means better players will know how to adapt to it and punish. A lesser player will not. That's the point I'm trying to make here.
There is no adapting to a trip that guarantees your opponent a free hit. Please describe to me how you might adapt to that.

Sports have random injuries. When that happens, teams don't break down and talk about how unfair the game is. They are forced to adapt. That's what I'm saying here.
I will concede this point, because it is quite true. Sports injuries *can* be quite random, for instance in a football pileup with big bodies tumbling over top of one another. No football player is going to turn down making the tackle because of the small chance he will be injured in the process. It still sucks though because the football player is bound by the same rules of rationality that we face-- they have to go for the tackle every time, without ever weighing the risk of injury. They aren't gambling because there is no choice involved. Being subject to random events does not constitute gambling.

Anyway, tripping sucks, but it's not THAT big a deal most of the time, and I still love Brawl regardless. Also, though I play in the competitive "style" I do not compete in tournaments, nor do I plan to, so it doesn't affect me in the negative ways that it might affect some people.

Top Bottom