• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping: Is it TRULY that annoying?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Not only do people complain about critical hits in Pokemon, but Pokemon is no where near as competitive in and of itself as Melee is. I'm just saying. Neither are Poker or Backgammon.

As much as I see the argument that he deserved to lose, can you HONESTLY say that you have never been saved by a random occurence in Melee? Such as an Arwing attacking an opponent trying to edgeguard you on Corneria? Or a cloud that miraculously reappeared on Dream Land?
The Arwings are why Corneria is a counterpick in some tourneys, and some even ban it for that very reason. There are no clouds in Dreamland that I'm aware of.

Furthermore, there are kinds of randomness that are acceptable because they give you fair warning. The hazards on Great Sea are an example. You can see everything coming, including cannonballs. This is why Brinstar was acceptable in Melee.

I kinda belive that tripping is apart of some sort of hidden handicap feature, because im the best at the game out of all my friends, and I trip atleast three times every match, and most of my friends rarely trip, some of them not even knowing what happened, but it may also be charecter specifiect, like the faster charecters may trip more, but that's just IMO
That's probably because you play more agressively, most likely, and dash more often. Your friends probably camp a bit more, and don't move very often.

King Zeal

Smash Cadet
Not only do people complain about critical hits in Pokemon, but Pokemon is no where near as competitive in and of itself as Melee is. I'm just saying. Neither are Poker or Backgammon.
So, that's why Poker is featured on ESPN? Or why MILLIONS of new players have emerged in the last few years? Or why the same players win bracelets year after year?

The Arwings are why Corneria is a counterpick in some tourneys, and some even ban it for that very reason. There are no clouds in Dreamland that I'm aware of.
I'm not sure what stage it was (maybe Yoshi's SSB stage) that had clouds which disappear and reappear.

Furthermore, there are kinds of randomness that are acceptable because they give you fair warning. The hazards on Great Sea are an example. You can see everything coming, including cannonballs. This is why Brinstar was acceptable in Melee.
And, if I'm not mistaken, tripping grants you frames of animation. Also, the act of tripping isn't any more expected for your opponent than it is for you. If you can see a cannonball coming and readdress your strategy to dodge it, you can do the same with a random trip.

Zyphent

Smash Apprentice
I see tripping as another excuse people will use for why they lose, sure theres a rare occasion where it may actually hinder your playing, but most of the time you can get out of it easily enough, especially as it gives you a split second on invincibility.

I can just hear people now though... "If I hadn't tripped there I would have killed you with that smash..."

Ugh.

FartKnocker

Smash Apprentice
It's not the worst element of randomness Nintendo put into one of their party games. It sure is annoying, though.

aznxk3vi17

Smash Cadet
I don't mind tripping so much, but it has both won me and lost me matches. One in particular, in a Sudden Death, I ran towards a Link, tripped right in front of his F-tilt, and lost. I even saved a replay of it.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
So, that's why Poker is featured on ESPN? Or why MILLIONS of new players have emerged in the last few years? Or why the same players win bracelets year after year?
This is why I said "in and of itself." A competitive game is one that is designed such that the better player wins more often. A game is more competitive than another when the ratio of wins for the more skilled player over the wins for the less skilled player in one game is greater than that of the other game. I believe that Scar made a post that explained this really well.

In other words, just because more people compete doesn't make the game more competitive. And honestly, the fact that millions of new players have emerged, and been successful is highly questionable to me.

I'm not sure what stage it was (maybe Yoshi's SSB stage) that had clouds which disappear and reappear.
This is banned in tournaments, but not for the reason you listed. The clouds are basically great places for Foxes to camp, because he can just jump around on the clouds SHLing.

Also, the clouds aren't random, and good players don't really need them. Even Dr. Mario can recover from the far one, as I recall.

And, if I'm not mistaken, tripping grants you frames of animation. Also, the act of tripping isn't any more expected for your opponent than it is for you. If you can see a cannonball coming and readdress your strategy to dodge it, you can do the same with a random trip.
Well, yes. There are many frames to the tripping animation. That is true. This is part of what makes it so **** annoying: you can't do anything for nearly a whole second.

Also, you're failing to see the difference between the cannonballs and tripping here. When I trip, its effects are immediate. When a cannonball is fired, its effects are delayed a little over a second. When I trip, I can only respond once I'm flat on my butt, and no earlier, which gives my opponent, but not me, ample opportunity to respond and punish. Cannonballs on the other hand, are something that both I and my opponent can respond to equally.

Why do people think the invincibility frames are so good, anyway? They're useless if you can't control them.

LarkOhiya

Smash Apprentice
Characters who have a random effect from their attacks. like death turnip or 9 hammer are nothing like tripping. You use the attack to use a turnip or in hopes to get a death turnip, but the whole time its YOUR CHOICE.

Your taking the movement required to start it and in most cases the only outcome for your EFFORT is a increase in power. Tripping is not desired and is not started by the player in any reliable or predicable manner. Its the same as if using anyones B move would randomly make themselves take damage instead of the opponent. doesn't seem fun to have random elements now eh?

In short Not moving when you told the game you wanted to move is like pulling out the controller for 2 seconds while randomly walking by the TV.

Getting a power boost from a single attack that everyone knows has a chance of giving a power boost is like someone coming up and giving you a cheer of encouragement. nothing really changed with what was going to happen. it just made what you where going to do stronger/better/faster.

King Zeal

Smash Cadet
This is why I said "in and of itself." A competitive game is one that is designed such that the better player wins more often. A game is more competitive than another when the ratio of wins for the more skilled player over the wins for the less skilled player in one game is greater than that of the other game. I believe that Scar made a post that explained this really well.

In other words, just because more people compete doesn't make the game more competitive. And honestly, the fact that millions of new players have emerged, and been successful is highly questionable to me.
You're putting words in my mouth. I said that millions of new players have emerged, but then I said that the same players win bracelets year after year. By your own logic, that makes poker more competitive than Melee.

This is banned in tournaments, but not for the reason you listed. The clouds are basically great places for Foxes to camp, because he can just jump around on the clouds SHLing.

Also, the clouds aren't random, and good players don't really need them. Even Dr. Mario can recover from the far one, as I recall.
Alright, then, my point is moot. I wasn't aware that the stage was banned.

Well, yes. There are many frames to the tripping animation. That is true. This is part of what makes it so **** annoying: you can't do anything for nearly a whole second.

Also, you're failing to see the difference between the cannonballs and tripping here. When I trip, its effects are immediate. When a cannonball is fired, its effects are delayed a little over a second. When I trip, I can only respond once I'm flat on my butt, and no earlier, which gives my opponent, but not me, ample opportunity to respond and punish. Cannonballs on the other hand, are something that both I and my opponent can respond to equally.

Why do people think the invincibility frames are so good, anyway? They're useless if you can't control them.
Didn't say the frames of invincibility were good. Just that they existed. And also, do you have any examples you can show me in a friendly or tourney match where someone tripped and it was punished significantly? I've personally never seen it happen, as the victim always seems to roll out of the way in time. I'm not, however, so arrogant to assume that because I've never seen something that it doesn't exist. So, that's why I'm asking for an example of it.

King Zeal

Smash Cadet
Your taking the movement required to start it and in most cases the only outcome for your EFFORT is a increase in power. Tripping is not desired and is not started by the player in any reliable or predicable manner. Its the same as if using anyones B move would randomly make themselves take damage instead of the opponent. doesn't seem fun to have random elements now eh?
Didn't Luigi's headbutt have a random outcome? EDIT: This isn't really an argument. I'm not exactly sure how Luigi's headbutt worked, but I had been TOLD the outcome was random.

Getting a power boost from a single attack that everyone knows has a chance of giving a power boost is like someone coming up and giving you a cheer of encouragement. nothing really changed with what was going to happen. it just made what you where going to do stronger/better/faster.
I don't see the analogy there. Being cheered on is nothing like a game's algorithms randomly deciding to let you throw a deadly projectile out of the blue.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Tripping is stupid. My brother lost a match in a tournament (Loser's Finals) as he tripped into Olimar's fully-charged f-smash...And all he tried to do was use his f-smash himself, which really would have won him the match...So, yeah...Tripping is stupid.

Cirus

Smash Rookie
Tripping is one of the worst game design decisions I have ever seen. Penalizing the player for simply moving when moving is the most important aspect of gameplay is awful.

Last night I finally made it back to Tabuu playing Boss Battles on Intense. The first time I made it to him I needed to put some distance between me and his shuriken attack. I tripped, bam, dead, game over. Last night he used his yellow targeting attack. I try to move, trip, roll, bam, dead, game over.

Terrible design decision.

giantimi

Smash Cadet
Yea, tripping is quite possibly the worst idea that Nintendo has come up with.......... I was so disappointed!

SoioPenguin

Smash Rookie
Yah the first time I tripped I about cried, I tried to rationalize it...maybe they put this in to stop dash dancing, im ok with that ill just not dash dance. Wait I did it again, maybe its because I was playing on summit and it was Icy. Then it happened one last time...and I knew I was going to cry. :(.

Honestly though I don't see it as being to much of a hinderance in competitive play. It is really stupid and there is no reason for Nintendo to get cute. I know for a fact Sakurai had pro Melee players in Japan testing to balance Brawl and I can guarentee none of them would have ssaid something like..."O I have a cool idea lets make a ninja (Sheik) Randomly trip. Makes sense for a ninja to trip right...

What if Ike would have tripped fighting one of Dain's Four Riders.....?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
You're putting words in my mouth. I said that millions of new players have emerged, but then I said that the same players win bracelets year after year. By your own logic, that makes poker more competitive than Melee.
How many people win bracelets? Has any one player dominated for several years in a row? Now, how many players have won at MLG? Three? Four? Hell, Ken and Isai won every tournament they attended for several years. And you're saying Melee is less competitive than poker?

Didn't say the frames of invincibility were good. Just that they existed. And also, do you have any examples you can show me in a friendly or tourney match where someone tripped and it was punished significantly? I've personally never seen it happen, as the victim always seems to roll out of the way in time. I'm not, however, so arrogant to assume that because I've never seen something that it doesn't exist. So, that's why I'm asking for an example of it.
You didn't say the frames of invincibility were good because you typed the wrong word into your post. If you had written what you meant to, you would have strongly implied it was a good thing.

As far as punishing tripping, I can't tell you how many times I've hit someone with Plasma Whip after they tripped, and they died. I've also seen people techchase out of trips into grab combos. It's ridiculous. At this point, your grasping at straws. Tripping is ridiculous, and limits competitive play. If you can't see this, then you're just being irrational.

blitzkrieg88

Smash Rookie
sooooo many times i've tripped and each time, the cpu gets to own me
F***ing tripping!!!!!! I have lost out on a smash ball at least 5 times because of tripping

**** you tripping!!!!:mad:

launchpadmcqak13

Smash Apprentice
All my friends are all somwhat competive, so we have the same feeling. Snake is a highly trained martial artist, seeing him randomly tripping is such an insult. Are there going to be updates to this game?

As a general rule with my friends, for a split second after tripping, we don't hit them/ no tech chasing while they get up, just to counter-act the randomness. I'm really really pissed about it, but I have to say that it doesn't happen all the time. (this may be positive thinking) I do know that I'm not going to stop playing brawl because of it.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Any random factor in any competitive play is never a good thing. People want to know that they won due to their own ability, not due to a freebie. And people also don't like the idea of losing due to something out of their own control. No one does.
You believe people do not complain about Critical Hits in Pokemon? I love Pokemon even now, and I quit Shoddy because each match I played, it would be skewed by Critical Hits on both my side, and the opposing side. It wasn't worth it if the majority of my matches were being decided by something other than the two players playing.

For tripping personally? I don't mind it so much, because I find it doesn't happen often. That does not mean that I like the idea at all. And I am pretty sure that close to 100% of the people on these boards, regardless if they "mind" tripping, would have it removed from Smash, given they had the power to.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Listen guys, I think the point is that, while tripping is random and bad, it isn't gamebreaking... and in all actuality, it isn't even competition-breaking! We all hate tripping. We agree on that. But, don't you think we, as a community, are over-reacting just a tad? Brawl can't be played competitively because of a ~1% chance to trip?

I hope that's a joke, because it made me laugh.

People actually think that Brawl can't be a competitive game AT ALL because of tripping! No because of the slowdown in speed. Not because of the decreased hitlag. Not because of increased difficulty in comboing. Because of something that occurs ~1% of the time. People actually think that tripping is the sole/biggest reason that Brawl is antithetical to competition!

Come on, people. I can accept all those other logical reasons, but tripping? Someone's being bitter.

(Disclaimer: I play Smash in the traditional tournament style, and I love it. I love tournaments and competition. I don't love foolishness. The foolish topic above is foolishly fooling fools into foolishly acting a fool.)

King Zeal

Smash Cadet
How many people win bracelets? Has any one player dominated for several years in a row? Now, how many players have won at MLG? Three? Four? Hell, Ken and Isai won every tournament they attended for several years. And you're saying Melee is less competitive than poker?
No, I said that it's more competitive by your rules. Personally, I don't think one or two people dominating a competition means that a game is more competitive. But, that doesn't help this discussion.

And yes, several poker players have either won numerous times or placed high several years in a row. Johnny Chan springs to mind.

You didn't say the frames of invincibility were good because you typed the wrong word into your post. If you had written what you meant to, you would have strongly implied it was a good thing.
Again, you're putting words in my mouth. Just because invincibility frames keep a bad thing from being worse don't make them a good thing. If I get punched in the stomach instead of the groin, that doesn't make the punch good.

As far as punishing tripping, I can't tell you how many times I've hit someone with Plasma Whip after they tripped, and they died. I've also seen people techchase out of trips into grab combos. It's ridiculous. At this point, your grasping at straws. Tripping is ridiculous, and limits competitive play. If you can't see this, then you're just being irrational.
Your personal experiences don't matter any more than mine. I've excluded my personal experience (in which I've never lost or won a game due to tripping) because you could very well make the assumption that the people I play against didn't take full advantage. Likewise, I could assume the people you saw get techchased should have simply tried to attack instead, making the whole thing an okizeme-like mixup. Again, that's neither here nor there.

All I'm asking for is to show, in real competition, where tripping was a deciding factor in a match. I don't see what's irrational about that.

Ace83

Smash Journeyman
All I'm asking for is to show, in real competition, where tripping was a deciding factor in a match. I don't see what's irrational about that.
Its not irrational to ask this. To me, however, the answer is clear; the potential for tripping to alter the outcome of a match definitely exists. Even if its not the deciding KO, it can change the whole match.. some butterfly effect shiznit! haha for real, i mean what would you think if you were watching an old vid of someone like Ken vs Azen, and Azen tripped 5 times during the match and Ken didn't once, and it was just by random occurrence, leaving Ken the victory. doesn't sound very kosher to say the least. (IF) It adds randomness, its ridiculous and greatly hinders competitive play.

King Zeal

Smash Cadet
I agree with all that. Every last bit of it.

My only argument, though, is whether this is significant enough to "destroy" the competitive scene. As the topic creator said, on paper, yes. However, I'd rather see results than speculation at this point.

Kikuichimonji

Smash Apprentice
The biggest problem I have when I trip is not that it slows me down, but that I don't realize what happened for half a second. Then I get hit. Which sucks.

Don't you have the same invincibility frames when you roll out of tripping that you do with rolling out of your shield? That should lessen the suckiness of tripping.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
No, I said that it's more competitive by your rules. Personally, I don't think one or two people dominating a competition means that a game is more competitive. But, that doesn't help this discussion.

And yes, several poker players have either won numerous times or placed high several years in a row. Johnny Chan springs to mind.
For some reason, I'm still not convinced. I look at that, and I see a few random wins, with streaks of no more than two years, and much longer losing streaks. Yes, he wins fairly often, but not enough to show that he's better than anyone. So, either he's very close in his ability to his opponents, or he got unlucky a few years, and he's actually better than everyone. Plus, this says nothing about his competition, what percentage of the participants and winners are repeat competitors.

Compare this to Ken Hoang. He was so far beyond the rest of us in 2003 that it took three or four years before people even began to figure out how to beat him. One or two very good players were able to take him out early on, but this wasn't a pattern, but by and large, he didn't really lose out on a year of tourneys until '07, and there were really only three or four other players that he admitted to having trouble against.

Of course, tourney results only tell so much. Pit Ken against me, and I might win one match out of fifty or so. Pit Johnny Chan against someone of equal distance, and I guarantee you that Chan will not win as many hands.

Again, you're putting words in my mouth. Just because invincibility frames keep a bad thing from being worse don't make them a good thing. If I get punched in the stomach instead of the groin, that doesn't make the punch good.
So then you agree that tripping is bad?

Your personal experiences don't matter any more than mine. I've excluded my personal experience (in which I've never lost or won a game due to tripping) because you could very well make the assumption that the people I play against didn't take full advantage. Likewise, I could assume the people you saw get techchased should have simply tried to attack instead, making the whole thing an okizeme-like mixup. Again, that's neither here nor there.

I agree with all that. Every last bit of it.

My only argument, though, is whether this is significant enough to "destroy" the competitive scene. As the topic creator said, on paper, yes. However, I'd rather see results than speculation at this point.
When I have the advantage, I'm more likely to dash in order to maintain my advantage. If I'm dashing, and my opponent is not, I have a greater chance of tripping, and thus losing my advantage. From a trip, I have four options: roll left, roll right, get up, or attack. My opponent, on the other hand, can shield, dash, charge a smash, jump, crouch, camp... the list goes on. In essence, not only have I lost my advantage, my opponent has gained an advantage, regardless of his skill level. If I was about to KO my opponent when I tripped, then the outcome of the match has been drastically altered. It doesn't have to be a KO coming from a trip; there are many ways in which tripping lessens the effect of skill. This isn't just theoretical. It happens. I shouldn't have to go look for proof just because you can't observe.

I've never said it destroys competitive Brawl either. I'm saying it makes it less competitive than Melee, and it shouldn't exist. For the life of me, I can't see how you find this to be

King Zeal

Smash Cadet
For some reason, I'm still not convinced. I look at that, and I see a few random wins, with streaks of no more than two years, and much longer losing streaks. Yes, he wins fairly often, but not enough to show that he's better than anyone. So, either he's very close in his ability to his opponents, or he got unlucky a few years, and he's actually better than everyone. Plus, this says nothing about his competition, what percentage of the participants and winners are repeat competitors.

Compare this to Ken Hoang. He was so far beyond the rest of us in 2003 that it took three or four years before people even began to figure out how to beat him. One or two very good players were able to take him out early on, but this wasn't a pattern, but by and large, he didn't really lose out on a year of tourneys until '07, and there were really only three or four other players that he admitted to having trouble against.

Of course, tourney results only tell so much. Pit Ken against me, and I might win one match out of fifty or so. Pit Johnny Chan against someone of equal distance, and I guarantee you that Chan will not win as many hands.
It's kind of speculation to say so, but I think I'd get my clock cleaned by Chan considerably if I tried to take him on in poker. Also, many WSOP players are repeaters; Mike Mattsuo(sp?) comes to mind. You're right, however, in stating that there aren't many "streaks" in the World Series of Poker. However, the top players DO hold multiple bracelets.

I think we're arguing in circles, though. Thinking about it, I think it's impossible to say that one contest is "more" or "less" competitive than another. Didn't hardcore fighting game fans sneer when Melee was initially presented as a competitive game? While I agree that a metagame is important to a competitive scene, it's kind of a chicken-egg argument. A metgame will develop in anything that people want to compete in. Likewise, an established metagame can draw in people who are interested in the complexity.

I hate to pull a cop-out, but I think it's time to agree to disagree.

So then you agree that tripping is bad?
I said so in my first post in this topic. Bad? Yes. Devastating? No.

When I have the advantage, I'm more likely to dash in order to maintain my advantage. If I'm dashing, and my opponent is not, I have a greater chance of tripping, and thus losing my advantage. From a trip, I have four options: roll left, roll right, get up, or attack. My opponent, on the other hand, can shield, dash, charge a smash, jump, crouch, camp... the list goes on. In essence, not only have I lost my advantage, my opponent has gained an advantage, regardless of his skill level. If I was about to KO my opponent when I tripped, then the outcome of the match has been drastically altered. It doesn't have to be a KO coming from a trip; there are many ways in which tripping lessens the effect of skill. This isn't just theoretical. It happens. I shouldn't have to go look for proof just because you can't observe.
It's not that I can't observe; it's that I prefer empirical proof for situations like this. If tripping winds up being a severely crippling element of the game, then it's likely I'll support dropping the game from serious competition. However, I just prefer not to do guesswork right now. That's all.

I've never said it destroys competitive Brawl either. I'm saying it makes it less competitive than Melee, and it shouldn't exist. For the life of me, I can't see how you find this to be
As someone else said, it makes Brawl less technical, but not necessarily less competitive. That's my point. I agree that it's a bad thing, but disagree about the results.

shatoga

Smash Cadet
Then your opponent should have won. Tripping has randomly determined the outcome of a match regardless of who played better. And you wonder why competitive players don't like it.
He's not wondering why they don't like it, he's just wondering why people make such a huge deal about it, it's never been such a big deal.And if you ask me, bomb ombs spawning in a sudden death match is unfair to, hell i've won a match even though i should have lost it because of bomb ombs.

Also, pro players don't play with items, so this wouldn't really be that much of a drag.that and the fact it occurs so little that it probably won't affect them.

If Sakurai made SSB perfect, people would still find things to whine about.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
I think he's saying that pros don't complain about Bob-ombs in Sudden Death, even though pros don't use items at all, because it has such a small effect, in the scheme of things. Thus tripping, which has roughly the same amount of affect on any given match, shouldn't be as big of a deal as it is now.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
Even if tripping SAVES you, that's just as bad. Maybe if you hadn't tripped, that person would have won, but you trip, and win because it. It's still just lucky.

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
If you're going to freak out about something like tripping, than you need not even play the **** game.

If your precious little skills are going to be hurt by tripping, than your skills probably arn't even worth the trouble anyway.

tripping, I have found out, is actually quite funny. Something about a bounty hunter in a powersuit falling flat on her *** is hilarious to me.

While triping isn't a skill, adaptability is.... and how you do with random events is another way to increase your own personal skill...

So stop whining about it, deal with it, and enjoy the game....

eyestrain92

Smash Journeyman
Wow. Bash the OP time.

It's funny really. You say I was complaining? I'm simply telling it how it is, too many people are focusing on this. I typically hate luck. I'm very materialist, and irregularities bug me severely. Yet most of the time I can't even notice it. When I do, sure, I feel a little slighted or a little happy, but I don't whine about it.

Critical hits? I've never heard a single person except one who lost to one whine about it. I guess the reason there's so many people whining about this is simple, there's more people who have fallen victim to it. Maybe it's a sign you should start to put a little distance into your game on occassion and play it slightly more defensive? Why not adjust yourself, not play at all, or be quiet? Go play melee if this is so gamebreaking.

EDIT: Thank you, above poster.

Shuck_It

Smash Rookie
Okay, here is your analogy for the day. You amass a vast amount of money (paper) through hard work and store this money in a safe place. (The bank, a safe at home, a safety deposit box in Switzerland, whatever)

Believeing your storage place to be a safe and secure place, you do not worry about your money (SKILL) being lost or altered in any way shape or form. OOPS! Spontaneous Combustion occured (TRIP). No one knows how or why(RANDOM)...it just did. Freak accident. Sorry, your bankrupt. Have a nice day.

Top Bottom