• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trash talking during a match

Alzi

Smash Master
Only young children "Trash Talk".

Just play the dam game like men and shake hands at the end of the set.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Only young children "Trash Talk".

Just play the dam game like men and shake hands at the end of the set.
You can still be "honorable" at the end of the set and shake hands, or whatever you people do. The "trash talking" in question is DURING the match. Why would you want to piss someone off and make them make a mistake after the matter..?

Y'know, a lot of murders start that way.

TheDUD

Smash Journeyman
LOL during the match I would say is worse because not only are you **** talking but you are causing them to lose focus when there is money involved. Murders can start that way too LOLOLOL. Btw, I don't agree with your posts but I do agree that real men use Jigglypuff XD heh heh.

sandwhale

Smash Journeyman
i play with a guy who sometimes spends the whole match just talking non-stop and often chouting real loud bursting my ear drums. he's not trashtalking me and he doesn't mean any harm but he's a constant painful noise wich messes up my focus. Would you say that that's acceptable or not?

oh and during friendlies i love to fake out attacks like having a charged samus's plasma ball and go "pzewww" and then punish his shield or dodge, it's just hilarious. Would that be okay in tournament to?

Noobicidal

Smash Master
LOL during the match I would say is worse because not only are you **** talking but you are causing them to lose focus when there is money involved.
The question is not when you trash talk, but about the idea itself

Murders can start that way too LOLOLOL. Btw, I don't agree with your posts but I do agree that real men use Jigglypuff XD heh heh.
You got the reference at least, right..? Mistakes in real life... murder...

And yeah, thanks for commenting about Her Majesty (Jigglypuff to clear that up for you).

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Ignore the double post; it's required.

i play with a guy who sometimes spends the whole match just talking non-stop and often chouting real loud bursting my ear drums. he's not trashtalking me and he doesn't mean any harm but he's a constant painful noise wich messes up my focus. Would you say that that's acceptable or not?
Well, for the talking part, you just need to ignore him, or hell, start up a conversation and talk back. A conversation can make him make mistakes too. Now, the loud shouting part is just stupid. Tell him to chill the **** out.

oh and during friendlies i love to fake out attacks like having a charged samus's plasma ball and go "pzewww" and then punish his shield or dodge, it's just hilarious. Would that be okay in tournament to?
Mind games..? There's nothing wrong with this at all: you're not "attacking" a player personally, and your punishing them for their stupidity. Good for you!

TheDUD

Smash Journeyman
Anyway so you see now people are trying to figure out what types of **** talking should be okay and what shouldn't which leaves it to a matter of opinion. But the thing is when someone thinks that someone else has crossed the line how do you think SWF or TOs would regulate this? I think it is better to just not accept trash talking or any other outside game tactic to win period so that it will leave out any possible confusion or misunderstandings.

Alzi

Smash Master
You can still be "honorable" at the end of the set and shake hands, or whatever you people do. The "trash talking" in question is DURING the match. Why would you want to piss someone off and make them make a mistake after the matter..?

Y'know, a lot of murders start that way.
The shake hands and saying good game wasn't ment to be during the match. My first line was all about the match my second line was how real men should do it.

:laugh:

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Anyway so you see now people are trying to figure out what types of **** talking should be okay and what shouldn't which leaves it to a matter of opinion.
And the only opinion that matters is that of the TO, so s/he would have the discretion of making the "Do not cross" line when it comes to trash talk.

But the thing is when someone thinks that someone else has crossed the line how do you think SWF or TO's would regulate this?
Preferably by instituting a Three Strike system. First occurrence would constitute a warning, the second would be a loss of the match, and the third would be a loss of the entire set. Now where have I read that...

@Alzi

The shake hands and saying good game wasn't ment to be during the match. My first line was all about the match my second line was how real men should do it.
I fully understand when you shake hands with someone; mid-game would just be silly. In order to have the desired effect, trash talking is usually mid-game.

Also, real players. Not all Smashers are men.

Alzi

Smash Master
Hahhaha true.

They can be men in the inside. Yeah shaking hands in the middle of the match would be silly.

I was in a tourney just days ago vsing someone and his friends were in the background trash talking lol. I guess it depends on the person if it's allowed or not during the match.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Here's the deal.

Suppose you hold a tourney and you want to explicitly say "Trash talking allowed." for the matches.

How would this work?

See, because you have to factor in the following: Whether or not you say anything, and respectable event would have a rule about belligerence and abusiveness. As host - simply as host of some kind of gathering - it would be expected that persons who are, let's be frank, "being *****" to other people, would be warned and then ejected from the premises. Because we're not going to stand for that.

So, somewhere, there's a rule about not mistreating the other people at the event. The question is, how does this rule become different while the game is on?

I simply see no way to uphold this rule without being willing, basically, to subvert the strictness of any given statement of the rule that allows trash talking. The line drawn with the above rule is, as you should know from its unwritten status, one of judgment and basically community consensus. That's how it goes. (If you don't see this, please don't go out in public. Thank you.) EDIT: {finish my thought} And with this rule being how it is, it is thus incompatible with any attempt to hold a strict rule that goes in the opposite direction, because this one *will* take precedence. (And again: if you, as a host, don't see this, please don't ever invite masses into your company. Thank you.)
Now, since only the strictness of the tournament rules is their reason for being, it appears that the preceding shows that you can't sensibly allow trash talking. Your rules are forced to be against it.

To me this makes sense. It can be perfectly clear to state the following: You are playing the game. The game is played on the console, and with your controller, and the television screen. You aren't allowed to block your opponent's view, you aren't allowed to yank his controller out, you aren't allowed to poke your opponent's seat - it can be of a kind with all these things that you aren't allowed to talk to your opponent. Your actions must be contained in that television/console/controller matrix, with the appropriate rules supporting the "ideal" conditions that are very clear (all players see the screen, all players have reliable connections to the machine, etc.).

The no trash talking rule would be enforced by request, of course - no reason to be Draconian if players are enjoying themselves - but yes, call me influenced again from my history with TCGs, but I see everything right in saying no to verbal abuse.

TheDUD

Smash Journeyman
And the only opinion that matters is that of the TO, so s/he would have the discretion of making the "Do not cross" line when it comes to trash talk.

Preferably by instituting a Three Strike system. First occurrence would constitute a warning, the second would be a loss of the match, and the third would be a loss of the entire set. Now where have I read that...
Hmm good point but there are a lot of TOs with different opinions so things can still get dicey. XD Also, what if nothing is put in place by the TO? Oh and thanks for that not all smashers are men comment since I'm a girl smasher. :)

Kishin

Smash Ace
Here's the deal.

Suppose you hold a tourney and you want to explicitly say "Trash talking allowed." for the matches.

How would this work?

See, because you have to factor in the following: Whether or not you say anything, and respectable event would have a rule about belligerence and abusiveness. As host - simply as host of some kind of gathering - it would be expected that persons who are, let's be frank, "being *****" to other people, would be warned and then ejected from the premises. Because we're not going to stand for that.

So, somewhere, there's a rule about not mistreating the other people at the event. The question is, how does this rule become different while the game is on?

I simply see no way to uphold this rule without being willing, basically, to subvert the strictness of any given statement of the rule that allows trash talking. The line drawn with the above rule is, as you should know from its unwritten status, one of judgment and basically community consensus. That's how it goes. (If you don't see this, please don't go out in public. Thank you.) EDIT: {finish my thought} And with this rule being how it is, it is thus incompatible with any attempt to hold a strict rule that goes in the opposite direction, because this one *will* take precedence. (And again: if you, as a host, don't see this, please don't ever invite masses into your company. Thank you.)
Now, since only the strictness of the tournament rules is their reason for being, it appears that the preceding shows that you can't sensibly allow trash talking. Your rules are forced to be against it.

To me this makes sense. It can be perfectly clear to state the following: You are playing the game. The game is played on the console, and with your controller, and the television screen. You aren't allowed to block your opponent's view, you aren't allowed to yank his controller out, you aren't allowed to poke your opponent's seat - it can be of a kind with all these things that you aren't allowed to talk to your opponent. Your actions must be contained in that television/console/controller matrix, with the appropriate rules supporting the "ideal" conditions that are very clear (all players see the screen, all players have reliable connections to the machine, etc.).

The no trash talking rule would be enforced by request, of course - no reason to be Draconian if players are enjoying themselves - but yes, call me influenced again from my history with TCGs, but I see everything right in saying no to verbal abuse.
Hrmm, well... that's interesting. What a shame though, guess there's always the "verbal mind games" or singing songs during matches though (unless that somehow fits into verbal abuse... :ohwell:).

Noobicidal

Smash Master
So in your opinion, what constitutes as "verbal abuse"? If a Ness was coming back to the stage and miffed his recovery, would me saying "Quite an impressive recovery you have going on there" or to quote Sakurai and say "YOU MUST RECOVER!", would that be considered as verbal abuse?

Hmm good point/idea but there are a lot of TOs with different opinions so things still can get dicey. XD Also, what if nothing is put in place by the TO?
The "Don't be an ***" rule comes to mind. You can't make a tourney standard on something that's so open to interpretation. Unwritten law is key here I suppose.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
So in your opinion, what constitutes as "verbal abuse"? If a Ness was coming back to the stage and miffed his recovery, would me saying "Quite an impressive recovery you have going on there" or to quote Sakurai and say "YOU MUST RECOVER!", would that be considered as verbal abuse?
I was worried for a moment that the vindictive part of my post would apply, but this is a reading comprehension error.

See,

The "Don't be an ***" rule comes to mind. You can't make a tourney standard on something that's so open to interpretation. Unwritten law is key here I suppose.
I was talking about the "Don't be an ***" rule. My argument pivots on it.

My post's main content lies in: The assumption at the beginning, the central 'large paragraph', and the two-liner before that.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I think a general good rule of thumb is that it's okay if players say things to each other (with obvious limits about things that are likely to be deeply offensive like ethnic slurs and things that are just plain disruptive to the event as a whole) but NOT okay if people not actively playing the match engage in the trash talking. Sometimes spectators saying things is alright (cheering on your crewmate, etc. can actually be obnoxious to the other player but really isn't something to be stopped), but they shouldn't be engaging in any trash talking at all while the game is being played since at that point they're interjecting themselves into the match. You can also get the mob effect pretty easily where you have something like 10 spectators all jeering one of the players, and that's obviously not acceptable. That is, if someone actively partaking in the same match as you says "wow, you really suck!" that's okay if rude. If anyone else says it, it's not okay and the TO should do something about it.

As per the use as a tactic, I don't think it's very good. Sure, you can cut into your opponents and dishearten them, but at the same time, you cheapen yourself and weaken your "fear aura" every time you resort to such a thing. Like, if you say I suck, maybe I feel a bit worse about myself, but at the same time I'm not looking at you with as much fearful respect. If you trash talk a lot, you actually are probably going to make a joke out of yourself which will make your opponents feel confident when fighting you which is probably a bad thing (overconfidence can lead to disaster, but it's just not as easy to exploit or cultivate as feelings of hopelessness since it weakens as the victim begins to lose instead of strengthens). Keeping quiet, maybe making an occasional small remark, and focusing on making it seems like your opponent just can't do anything to stop you is the best way to psyche them out. For my part, I actually prefer to be friendly with most opponents since any small loss in the psychological warfare of the game is going to be made up for outside the game by the improved social situation it brings. Of course, I am not above such talking games as blustering about how amazing the turtle is; it's funny, and it has an off chance of making some opponent think my strategy is far simpler than it really is. It's a small thing though; how you act outside of the game really has a very small impact on the game itself, and if you are looking to do better, it's just not a productive place to focus.

TreK

Is "that guy"
trash talking is why i play this game =3
i do not insult tho. Just laugh at the guy and make him know ur kiddin so he won't get offended. trash talking =/= flame war, you see what i mean ? :p

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I don't talk during a game, and find doing what the OP suggests a pretty dumb tactic. I prefer playing the player on his best level, and if he does bad against me, well, so be it. No need to make him feel worse. And I generally ignore if someone talks to me during a match.

People are taking the "Playing to Win" thing too seriously... =/

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
Good discussion thus far.

I still believe that it should not be considered for ban by TO's.

I have to goto school right now, so I'll check up on this thread later.

pce

ps: did not expect this thread to get as popular, thx guys.

PartyHatPikaChu

Smash Apprentice
I've never heard trash talking as being illegal. Kneeing someone in the face is causing harm to them, trash talk is just simply words. If you're not mentally prepared to withstand that kind of attack then perhaps you're not the player deserving to win. If someone punches you in the face for trash talking then that just shows how immature they are over a couple words.
Same can be said about trashtalking.
Trashtalking is immature itself, people responding negatively to serious trashtalk is nothing but normal.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
NEVER, just joke around with them in a good way to get the giggles. joke ONLY if THEY know ur joking..

Nights Dawn

Smash Cadet
Sorry about yestserday, Sundays are just not my days.
Espically at 3 in the morning,( but of course that means its Monday.)

So generally, where is the line in which trash talking starts to get, not friendly?

Ladybug

Smash Lord
I suppose it starts to cross the line when you make someone cry. Or as was said previously, when you end up with a broken nose.

I have no problem trash talking in friendlies because they're friendlies (I used to play a friend of mine and always yell "Don't run Adam, don't run! Come here and take your beating like a man!"). It's also fun to trash talk for other people in friendlies. Then they really don't know what to do.

When it comes to tourney play, it just kinda depends on how you do it. I agree with Po that if done over the top, it can be really funny and lighten the mood. At the same time, why would you need to resort to doing something like that to win a match? I understand mindgames and all that other business, but if you're not good enough to win without having to mentally break down the other player, then accept the fact that you're not good enough and get better.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
i hateeeeee talking during my matches lol like stfu and play me dont be a *** and talk about my preformace, character, ect

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I've never had to deal with trash talking, but I'd probably just ignore it.... because it's, uh, trash. I'm too old to respond to that kind of mess.

What does annoy me is when people trash talk for me. Sometimes my friends get a little too hype and start trash talking on my behalf, and it irks me to the point where I've had to tell them to shut up mid-match. Not only does it break my concentration (because it's so annoying), but it's rude, and I feel like it reflects negatively on me even though I'm not the one doing it.

Cheering/general support is fine, but talking out one's a** is not.

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
I suppose it starts to cross the line when you make someone cry. Or as was said previously, when you end up with a broken nose.

I have no problem trash talking in friendlies because they're friendlies (I used to play a friend of mine and always yell "Don't run Adam, don't run! Come here and take your beating like a man!"). It's also fun to trash talk for other people in friendlies. Then they really don't know what to do.

When it comes to tourney play, it just kinda depends on how you do it. I agree with Po that if done over the top, it can be really funny and lighten the mood. At the same time, why would you need to resort to doing something like that to win a match? I understand mindgames and all that other business, but if you're not good enough to win without having to mentally break down the other player, then accept the fact that you're not good enough and get better.
It's not the fact that you need it to win.

It's the mentality use everything at your disposal to win.

KarateF22

Smash Journeyman
Whats more annoying is if they have a friend there trashtalking with them -.- but seriously, you shouldnt trash talk while playing. Theres a large difference between celebrating hitting with an uber move, and trashtalking. Shouting SHORYUKEN when you upb or going FALCON PAWNCH when you pawnch someone is fine, but trashtalking means putting down your opponent. I just find that... to not be acceptable. Especially in tournies.

Top Bottom