• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trash talking during a match

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
It only makes the other person look worse, don't pay any attention to it.

Nights Dawn

Smash Cadet
There, I fixed it for you.
My mistake :ohwell:.

Fixed.

Not at all. I'll go from saying "GET ***** SON!" after coming back offstage and killing someone with a double-reversed Warlock Punch to saying "Good **** man, I'm looking forward to our next encounter" after the game.

Is there ANY correlation between the two? I'm missing the whole "obvious" bit. Please, make me understand why I'm not following your statement.
I am talking about the more serious kind like "You suck and really need to play something else."

I mean all the " WOMBO COMBO" and "Dang, YOU JUST GOT *****" are okay in my book.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Nights Dawn, everything you're saying is missing the point/is fail... so I won't respond to it any longer.

If you can get past the trash talk and win then that makes you the better player and if I was the trash talker then I would perhaps congratulate you. It's not as the reason for trash talking is to make enemies. If you are mentally unable to handle trash talk against you then that's another weakness on you as a player that you need to overcome.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
trash talking is fun
Fixed

Nights Dawn, everything you're saying is missing the point/is fail... so I won't respond to it any longer.
But what about the statements such as "getting that 1st place won't be likely if there are REALLY good players."? That CAN'T be a fail statement!

If you can get past the trash talk and win then that makes you the better player and if I was the trash talker then I would perhaps congratulate you. It's not as the reason for trash talking is to make enemies. If you are mentally unable to handle trash talk against you then that's another weakness on you as a player that you need to overcome.
Once again, another valid point I made earlier. The world MUST be ending in 2012 if people are actually agreeing with me on a topic like this.

Kishin

Smash Ace
But what about the statements such as "getting that 1st place won't be likely if there are REALLY good players."? That CAN'T be a fail statement!

Once again, another valid point I made earlier. The world MUST be ending in 2012 if people are actually agreeing with me on a topic like this.
Of course the one trash talking can't be a REALLY good player!

The world isn't ending, it's just because it's Easter.

Nights Dawn

Smash Cadet
First, I never said that the trash talker is not a good player. I said that as a means as that winning money at a tourney is not always an option to make quick cash. We ALL can't be M2K or ADHD.

Second, I am not talking about trash talking as a means to win, or just for fun.
I mean as in just kicking you down kinda of way.

Third, the world may end at 2012 D:
(jk about the 3rd one. It will end D: )

TheDUD

Smash Journeyman
You know what, I still really wouldn't accept trash talking as a method for winning. It's like an external interference, it is not in game like regular mind games. You are purposely getting them to lose focus which makes them angry, which lowers their IQ (anger lowers IQ), which then lowers game performance.

You cant really argue that it is okay to do it since it would be their weakness if they lose because your whole reason in the first place was to cause them to lose focus due to anger. You want them to be angry otherwise it wouldn't be effective and you wouldn't do it.

It would be because of your desire to win that you **** talked would it not? Well anyone with the desire to win would get angry at that type of **** talking. I just can't agree. :) Other **** talking like yelling out stuff is okay because it's funny lol.

Kishin

Smash Ace
You know what, I still really wouldn't accept trash talking as a method for winning. It's like an external interference, it is not in game like regular mind games. You are purposely getting them to lose focus which makes them angry, which lowers their IQ (anger lowers IQ), which then lowers game performance.

You cant really argue that it is okay to do it since it would be their weakness if they lose because your whole reason in the first place was to cause them to lose focus due to anger. You want them to be angry otherwise it wouldn't be affective and you wouldn't do it.

It would be because of your desire to win that you **** talked would it not? Well anyone with the desire to win would get angry at that type of **** talking. I just can't agree. :) Other **** talking like yelling out stuff is okay because it's funny lol.
If you trash talk you want them to make a mistake. People only get angry because they mess up. If you really get pissed off because someone said something about your mother during a match then that may perhaps make you more prone to messing up. Again, it's not about making someone angry or to get more people to dislike you, but to win. People messing up in a match against you helps you win. You don't have to accept it or use it even if you do want to win, but it's just another thing you could possibly do if you truly did want to win. If you are mentally able to block that kind of talk out then it won't affect you. Only the mentally weaker individual would get angry because they are unable to overcome it.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Trash talking for fun? Fine. Trash talking to debilitate your opponent? Not fine.

I will yell "Gonzo Combo!" when i do it, or "Lets take a ride!" or "You're coming with me!" when i kirby/ganoncide someone, but thats all in good fun. Once your trash talking starts to have a serious negative effect on your opponent, stop. It drains the quality of the match, and is unsportsmanlike. Remember: you're not the only one playing the game. Others might not be honourless-***holes like you, some are in it for this crazy concept called fun.

Nights Dawn

Smash Cadet
I do not think that make of fun of someone's mother is trash talking.

Thats more personal lol.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
If you are mentally able to block that kind of talk out then it won't affect you. Only the mentally weaker individual would get angry because they are unable to overcome it.
Smash isn't about mental weakness. One of the measurements of a match shouldn't be the ability to ignore insults.

Trash talking isn't a "skill to be used if necessary" and being able to ignore it isn't the mark of a "skilled mental player." It's not planking.

Don't be a douche, and don't resort to such low-brow tactics just to win. Just... win.

TheDUD

Smash Journeyman
Twitching as in getting irrated or getting emotions built inside such as anger because of the match and how poorly they're doing. Now, if you were to just slightly push that twitch with verbal words such as "Dude your doing bad" or "You're easier than I thought" or other harsh verbal trash talking, this would get "inside" the opponents head and pretty much, in most cases, diminish his overall performance.
Hmm it really seems to me that getting them angry would be the desired effect. How else are they going to make a "mistake"? And I don't think people who **** talk to win just want a simple mistake to happen (players make mistakes now and then), they want them to continually make mistakes and practically ruin their overall performance.

I very much agree with the above post btw. :)

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Hmm it really seems to me that getting them angry would be the desired effect. How else are they going to make a "mistake"? And I don't think people who **** talk to win just want a simple mistake to happen (players make mistakes now and then), they want them to continually make mistakes and practically ruin their overall performance.
Now you're getting it!

Just remember: trash talking isn't always for that purpose. Sometimes I just genuinely feel like ****ing with the person, regardless of if I want them to make mistakes or not. It's just an added benefit in that case...

TheDUD

Smash Journeyman
^ um lol no I don't get it. XD I don't see why people would stoop to such acts to win...

Nights Dawn

Smash Cadet
I am okay with trash talk that is meant for fun and laughs.

But you talk about my mother, then don't expect the next Fsmash to be in the game :laugh:.

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
^ um lol no I don't get it. XD I don't see why people would stoop to such acts to win...
Such acts?

lol @ this

acts such as DDD's chaingrabs, metaknight, and chaingrabs in general should be frowned upon but aren't.

I don't see why trash talking to your advantage would be when these tatics are allowed.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Smash isn't about mental weakness. One of the measurements of a match shouldn't be the ability to ignore insults.

Trash talking isn't a "skill to be used if necessary" and being able to ignore it isn't the mark of a "skilled mental player." It's not planking.

Don't be a douche, and don't resort to such low-brow tactics just to win. Just... win.
There is no rule about trash talking being illegal so therefore it is a factor to consider when playing. No, it's not planking at all but like planking, it's another way to win. But hey, unlike planking, there's no factor except yourself for how you react to it. Being able to get past trash talking by whatever equalizes your ground against the trash talker. Then there's nothing he can say to screw you over. Then it's purely about the game play.

Being a Douche has nothing to do about it. It might seem like a low-brow tactic but some people view edge hogging as a "low-brow tactic". The difference is that one is accepted and one is not. It's a different game when money is on the line.

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
However, I do have respect. If my opponent is obviously unstable, or politely asks me to tone it down, I will do so, but if I get an Up-B kill with Luigi, I WILL scream out SHORYUKEN so that everyone will know that this guy just got STFUPPERCUTTED. It's just how I roll.
This. Anyone who knows me irl knows how loud i get when i land a shoryuken kill :p

Nights Dawn

Smash Cadet
Obviously, Noobicidal does not know what a joke is. ( and talking about someone's mom is mature?)

Anyways, I like I said before, I am okay with trash talking for the purpose of having fun.

Just try not to go overboard with it (as in being a jerk) , kay.

TheDUD

Smash Journeyman
Such acts?

lol @ this

acts such as DDD's chaingrabs, metaknight, and chaingrabs in general should be frowned upon but aren't.

I don't see why trash talking to your advantage would be when these tatics are allowed.
Like I said, in game tactics should be okay but out of game shouldn't.

Tournaments are about winning with competitive play not overly competitive attitudes. **** talking is just the wrong end of the stick. We should keep these tourneys skill base and not about true scrub tactics. XD

Because when you allow external things like **** talking, it may bring a whole lot of other things to the table. "If you know a few faults (outside game) of the player you are facing just use them to you advantage and you could win...it's not illegal" <---hmmmm shady... I don't think you have to be told that it's illegal to just know that it's wrong.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Well idk. I like to call what I do verbal mindgames. I've gotten someone not to do something when they could have easily done it and take a stock, by telling them to do it. It's part of the non-online experience. If you're good at talking and tricking people, I would consider trash talking a viable tactic. Non of the thread was read, sorry if this was already brought up.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Obviously, Noobicidal does not know what a joke is. ( and talking about someone's mom is mature?)
Ask anyone on the Jigglypuff boards; I'm one of the funniest guys you could meet.

It's immature on both parts. What makes it right for you to "fsmash" someone in real life on the basis that they insulted your mother in a joking manner? Get over yourself.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Ok guys. I am seeing many flames in the thread "Trash talking during a match" on the 'Smash Boards'. I am making my report to the staffs right now, I suggest you stop being mean and depressing people for thier own grammars and seeing how they see a game 'Super Smash Brothers Brawl' for the 'Nintendo Wii.'

For myself, I am not being mean to mothers and find that wrong to a game. I refuse to use cheap tactics to do 'play to win' and do things that are too much to 'play to win.'

I think you guys agree on a basic idea, but don't know where to say trash talking is too much. I think there really is no limit, you can always ask for them to tone it down if it really bothers you...if you're too scared to ask, then I think that's where it gets out of hand. Although I can never see that ever happening...

Kishin

Smash Ace
"If you know a few faults (outside game) of the player you are facing just use them to you advantage and you could win...it's not illegal" <---hmmmm shady... I don't think you have to be told that it's illegal to just know that it's wrong.
Now... it isn't illegal... but that's where I would draw the line of being a ****. If you know some personal information about someone and you use that for an insult in a match then that's a ground where I would never think about crossing or consider crossing. Doing that would just be trying to hit a bad nerve which isn't what trash talking is about for this thread. The reason I used "your mother" as an example because that has reformed into a joke that no one ever takes personally anymore.

Excuse me, but I don't remember seeing a flame anywhere in this thread. I'd like to see it if possible...

DemonFart

Smash Lord
Ask anyone on the Jigglypuff boards; I'm one of the funniest guys you could meet.
That is true,noob is frickin hilarious!

also nakededede,great maxfire impersonation.:bee:

i dont see much wrong with a little trash talking during a match if it's all in good fun...

:094:

TheDUD

Smash Journeyman
Even though I'm trying to debate on the subject, Noobicidal you keep making me laugh. I shake my fist at you LOL. XD

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
There is no rule about trash talking being illegal so therefore it is a factor to consider when playing. No, it's not planking at all but like planking, it's another way to win. But hey, unlike planking, there's no factor except yourself for how you react to it. Being able to get past trash talking by whatever equalizes your ground against the trash talker. Then there's nothing he can say to screw you over. Then it's purely about the game play.

Being a Douche has nothing to do about it. It might seem like a low-brow tactic but some people view edge hogging as a "low-brow tactic". The difference is that one is accepted and one is not. It's a different game when money is on the line.
There also isn't a rule against unplugging the opponents controller, or throwing sand in their eyes. You can't ban "being a jerk."

You ban the low-brow tactics that are in the game though, because that's exactly what the matches and tournaments set out to prove, who's better at SMASH BROS, not who's better at enduring insults.

If M2K had some weird psychological condition that caused him to lose matches when being insulted, that condition should not be a factor when deciding who the best Smash Bros player is.

OFY

Sonic main since 08'
I think you guys are thinking of trash talking in the sense of "mother jokes" and stuff. That's not the point. The point of trash talking I would doing , is making fun of another persons performance in the actual game, not use actual appearance or personal trash talking, but rather related to gameplay.

a simple example would be

"Your metaknight is really trash"

You could say something along those lines after you take a stock off your opponent.

Because most people, when they lose a stock, they seem to TWITCH.

Take advantage of that by insulting their gameplay to manipulate their mind and try to build up anger. Anger=horrible gameplay, in most cases.

This, I would think, would not get your opponent to the point of wanted to kick your *** physically, because it's in game not outside personal insulting.

If you think this is cheap, re evalutate DDD's chaingrabs, metaknight, and most of the annoying things about brawl.

this tatic of trash talking to me would fall under the category oof PLAYING TO WIN.

USING EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE TATIC, THATS LEGAL, TO WIN.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
I said it was a joke. O_O

This topic is getting to serious if people just flame you.
There's a BIG difference between flaming you and disproving your statements.

If M2K had some weird psychological condition that caused him to lose matches when being insulted, that condition should not be a factor when deciding who the best Smash Bros player is.
If someone were to insult M2K in this situation, surely someone would reprimand him before he went to far, or at least tell him about this so-called condition before hand. I've played in tournaments with colorblind people, and they announced their condition before a situation could arise.

Kishin

Smash Ace
There also isn't a rule against unplugging the opponents controller, or throwing sand in their eyes. You can't ban "being a jerk."

You ban the low-brow tactics that are in the game though, because that's exactly what the matches and tournaments set out to prove, who's better at SMASH BROS, not who's better at enduring insults.

Doing that stuff is being immature and an *** but trash talking isn't being a jerk. Money changes things a bit.

Lol@thatcondition
The thing is that it's not about who is the better player in this case but who wins. I agree if someone had that condition then it wouldn't be a factor in if they are the better player or not but it is indeed a factor in if they are able to win. Of course, you can't be known to be the better player unless you win though... but then it would probably be banned on that specific tourney or w/e.

Nights Dawn

Smash Cadet
There's a BIG difference between flaming you and disproving your statements.
I would not call that telling me to "get over myself" when I clearly stated that it was all a joke.

Actually, I am just going to stop right now. Its getting way off topic.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
Actually, I am just going to stop right now. Its getting way off topic.
Quite frankly, it WAS on topic until you decided to derail it by saying it wasn't on topic.

Please, find an off-topic post. The ones in reference to the "condition" and "playing to win" are both dealing with "trash talk".

TheDUD

Smash Journeyman
I think you guys are thinking of trash talking in the sense of "mother jokes" and stuff. That's not the point. The point of trash talking I would doing , is making fun of another persons performance in the actual game, not use actual appearance or personal trash talking, but rather related to gameplay.

a simple example would be

"Your metaknight is really trash"

You could say something along those lines after you take a stock off your opponent.

Because most people, when they lose a stock, they seem to TWITCH.

Take advantage of that by insulting their gameplay to manipulate their mind and try to build up anger. Anger=horrible gameplay, in most cases.

This, I would think, would not get your opponent to the point of wanted to kick your *** physically, because it's in game not outside personal insulting.

If you think this is cheap, re evalutate DDD's chaingrabs, metaknight, and most of the annoying things about brawl.

this tatic of trash talking to me would fall under the category oof PLAYING TO WIN.

USING EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE TATIC, THATS LEGAL, TO WIN.
Once again, trash talking whether it is related to the game (ie, your MK sucks) is not a tactic that is in game (using the controller to move your character). Even if you were telling them how much they are sucking in the game it is still an attack to the person.

That is different from using over looked things in the game to your advantage...and even then certain tactics in game have been banned and are constantly being considered so do you really think **** talking would remain legal if it got around and/or got out of hand? Also, you might only consider trash talking about their game play but others might cross the line if they think trash talking is fine. That is why trash talking to win isn't a good idea.

DemonFart

Smash Lord
I just noticed that I taunt when I get a kill instinctively :p
yeah same here,funny thing is..my Up taunt is "get ***** son" lol.

tbh,i dont see this thread getting offtopic at all really.

i trash talk on occasion though,most of the time its with my buddies..

:094:

Nights Dawn

Smash Cadet
I was talking on how Noobicidal's arguement with me which hopefully can stop now.

Trash talking your friends is the best.
You always have to laugh.

Top Bottom