• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Training with CPU's

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
Yes, everyone agrees that training on CPU's, especially level 9's, develops bad habits. However, my friend has recently told me about something he uses to train characters. He plays Level 9's on Special Brawl, superspeed. I think that he uses it to develop reactions and how to think ahead of the game. After playing superspeed for a while, normal Brawl seems so much slower and floaty. You're still thinking in superspeed mode, so your reaction time is shorter than usual. After playing for a while I believe that superspeed can help to improve reactions and fine tune a person's game.

This works because level 9's are the same difficulty level on superspeed, but we're disadvantaged because of superspeed, and that forces us to compensate by improving our reaction times and how we respond to situations.

Any thoughts?

lax guy5

Smash Journeyman
Nahh I don't think that would help much. Whenever I do that kind of stuff and then I fight an actual player, I notice how much slower-paced it is and it just screws me up. :ohwell:

phantomphungus

Smash Journeyman
:( I can never play against anybody BUT CPUs... mainly because all of my friends don't have online. Sayyy... anybody want to exchange FCs? Geese, I'll have to go dig mine up, I haven't brought it out in forever! Oh, but I should mention, my internet for some reason is REALLY SLOW. like, REALLY REALLY slow. :\

Darkmega

Smash Apprentice
hmmm, that's an intriguing thought to tell you that... I usually just have juggernaut brawls on one on ones instead rather, cause with fast brawl it's all over before I know what hit me. -.-

Or if I'm doing survival training I just throw on 3 comps lvl 9 and just see how long I can last... or throw on the immortal code. XD then regardless how much I kill them they don't lose so it's a stock survival rather than timed survival.

@phantom: mmm, sounds savvy enough. cause I got just about the same problem. no-one plays with me anymore. it's like brawl has lost it's shine or something, but I find that utterly unpossible [typo intended]. Which is why I normally just vs comps all the time, and have jugger brawls or play around in stamina mode and make mini-games and stuff all the time cause I got no-one to vs... my internets relatively slow, but if we try to vs considering what you location is and the displacement to that of mine (tasmania) that would equal a lag of over 9000 which is turn would make any thought of vsing you go to waste unfortunately... savvy?

xYoh

Smash Cadet
For me, playing at superspeed gets me confused. And, its hard to adjust back to normal game speed.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
I did the same thing except I was playing Metal Brawl w/ 1.6 damage ratio for heavier gravity and combos.

When you get back into gear with the actual game it REALLY screws you over (I had to take a few minutes to practive SHDL w/ Falco...). Yes, it can help in reaction speeds. No, it is not a good idea because doing it regulary kills your gameplay and you take forever to obtain the right mindset in which what works and what doesn't.

Lv. 9's poison your playstyle, just practice against regular players. That's how the top players did it and they still do it today.:sonic:

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
Maybe if you mix them together like 50/50 it's not that bad. You get the reaction time but remember the actual game.

Vitality

Smash Ace
I tried training in super speed before. I don't think it really benefited me in anyway other than getting me quick enough to do TLink double arrows and grabs. But it really screws up your perception to timing.

Dynamite_Hack

Smash Rookie
I train against level 8s; they're pretty much level 9s without the hair-tearing amount of shieldgrabbing. I realize it develops bad habits, but I just don't have anyone to play with; all my friends have lost interest in Brawl, and you can't play wifi on a connection where the ping is never below 1500.
Playing in superspeed would help you with your reflexes, but it'd blow your sense of timing in the regular game in a big way, which'd probably make you worse overall.

-Ran

Smash Master
Brawl is about spacing, prediction, timing, and tricking your opponent. You master none of them by training with a computer and by altering the speed of the game, you're going to throw off your spacing and your timing that you have already developed. If you want to develop faster reaction times, do something like competitive Tetris. =p [I'm actually serious about that, we're talking about 100+ lines per minute.]

TCRhade

Smash Champion
NNID
TabuuForte
Bad idea. With their inhuman reflexes and seeming ability to predict you like psychics. They're the main problem with Brawl CPUs. They're not good or powerful, they're just cheap and give you bad practice. If tourney players were shield spamming cowards, CPUs would be PERFECT to train against.

For practicing combos and such, perhaps. But to improve your overall game, keep training with a good player. I do it with my friend who always hands my *** back to me. It's embarrassing, but against others (including the CPU), I get better.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I'd rather not train against CPUs if given the chance.

They're not as predictable as most human players.

However, I have heard some good things about training in 1.5 speed before a tournament. It supposedly forces you to think quicker than usual and gives your brain more time to develop mindgames. Just do it a little before a tournament in training mode, I hear, and you may notice a difference. I've never tried it myself, but the guy who told me this idea used to be the world's best Sonic player.

Top Bottom