• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toy story 2 sucked

Does Toy Story 2 suck?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Bringing this up because Toy Story 1 and 2 are in theaters again, and frankly, 2 was a worthless cashgrab with no content.

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Even though this thread is composed of blatant opinions, I feel the need to ask: why did you hate Toy Story 2 so much?

I'm neither here nor there, btw, so I won't vote on the poll. I thought Toy Story 2 was kind of meh, but it wasn't half bad imo.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
It IS an awful movie, let review

this movie has 2 plots
the plot of woddie
the plot of buzz

The plot of woddie is decent at best, taking jokes from the first movie
The plot of buzz is a 100% paradoy of Star Wars, which got really old half way through the movie. One or two references, that's fine, but a complete recreation in the middle of a feature length movie that isn't even a spoof of Star Wars, that's just out of place and overkill.

**** your childhood. American animation sucks compared to the rest of the world. Jamie Hewlet, animator of the Gorillaz says he refuses to take his children to see any American movies.
The plots are awful
over half can be summed up as talking animals in an other wise ordinary story
and our view of them as childish has drastically effected the quality and material we are allowed to cover.

PS. Not saying ANIME > US
I'm saying WORLD > US

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I enjoyed Toy Story 2. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.
Still, I don't think it sucked.

Scott!

Smash Lord
It's not Pixar's best, but then again, most of their movies aren't. It's a solid movie. I've only seen it twice in my life. Once in theaters in my youth-times, and once last summer when my family had a mini marathon because we hadn't seen either movie in forever. And it was pretty good. Predictable, yes. But I don't see Pixar movies because of what the story is so much as how they tell it. And I found it enjoyable. I look forward to Toy Story 3, even if it is a money grab. Pixar hasn't made a bad movie yet.

@Crashic: Good for Jamie Hewlett or whatever, but he and his kids are missing out on good movies. Pixar at least has come out with solid animated movies. Wall-E, Up, and others of theirs are good movies that don't sacrifice maturity completely like a lot of the rest of American animation.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer

this movie has 2 plots
the plot of woddie
the plot of buzz

The plot of buzz is a 100% paradoy of Star Wars, which got really old half way through the movie. One or two references, that's fine, but a complete recreation in the middle of a feature length movie that isn't even a spoof of Star Wars, that's just out of place and overkill.

**** your childhood. American animation sucks compared to the rest of the world. Jamie Hewlet, animator of the Gorillaz says he refuses to take his children to see any American movies.
The plots are awful
over half can be summed up as talking animals in an other wise ordinary story
and our view of them as childish has drastically effected the quality and material we are allowed to cover.

I'm saying WORLD > US
You're gonna bring up the superiority of foreign animated movies in a thread dedicated to a Pixar movie? I see the point you're making, but even Toy Story 2, one of Pixar's weaker films (though the world seems to disagree with this), is triumphantly better than the ****ty American animated movies that you're actually talking about. TS2 might be fluff, but it's far more comfortable fluff than garbage like Madagascar, Open Season, Shark Tale, and almost any other non-Pixar animated film made in America in recent history. There are examples that can aptly prove your point, but Toy Story 2 really isn't one of them.

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Even though this thread is composed of blatant opinions, I feel the need to ask: why did you hate Toy Story 2 so much?

this movie has 2 plots
the plot of woddie
the plot of buzz

A Summary of why I hate it.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I found TS2 better than the first... well I did. I liked the lmprovement of the animation quality (and if you know me Im a sucker for quality animation). I also found the star wars parody funny as well. I also think that the addition of jesse and bullseye very fitting (but her yodeling makes my ears explode). Also the climax of the woody plot at the plane just wrapped up the entire movie into one delicious sandwich (the little stick with the olive are the martians... theyre cute and theyre funny ^^) so overall I voted yes on the matter. I have the two movies in an aniversary pack they released like 10 years ago or so and I get to watch it whenever I want ^^

Now as far as their weakest movie goes Id have to cast my vote on ratatouille... not much that I like about it other than amazing animation... other than that I didnt like the plot much

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Look @ Crash go, look out now! :eek:

This reminds me of a Meme that us Van Leer inhabitants know very well of whenever we need to deuce it up--it also describes my feeling on the movie:

Toy Story 2 was OK. ;)

§leepy God

Smash Master
I liked Toy Story 2! If you are gonna hate on a Pixar movie, hate on Cars! Also, Finding Nemo and Wall-E are overrated! The Incredibles is my Pixar favorite!
I'll agree except the Wall-E being overrated part. He's ROB's mascot for a reason. D:

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
I've only seen Toy Story 2 once, as opposed to the 1st one which I've seen multiple times.

I wouldn't say that the second one sucked, though I do agree that it's inferior to the first one.

As for Walle, say what you will, but I love that movie. It's still my second favorite Pixar movie (the first being Toy Story 1).

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Why was the first thought when I saw wall-e was that he has to be some incarnation of ROB? I expected wall-e to have jets on his bottom...

And WHAAAAAT! TS2 was way better than the first in my opinion. I liked the addition of ms. spud... naggy wife=lulz

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
You're gonna bring up the superiority of foreign animated movies in a thread dedicated to a Pixar movie? I see the point you're making, but even Toy Story 2, one of Pixar's weaker films (though the world seems to disagree with this), is triumphantly better than the ****ty American animated movies that you're actually talking about. TS2 might be fluff, but it's far more comfortable fluff than garbage like Madagascar, Open Season, Shark Tale, and almost any other non-Pixar animated film made in America in recent history. There are examples that can aptly prove your point, but Toy Story 2 really isn't one of them.
please tell me 1 original and ground breaking thing that Pixar does, other than make movies you like and create better graphic rendering programs.
Their content has not changed far from Disney's base. Their style has not drastically altered animation in any way, and they still revert back to proven formulas proven long ago by Disney themselves.
The only originality in our animation scene is coming from the unlikely place of Adult Swim, though they already canceled its 2nd season (Superjail)

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
what made superjail so original:confused:
i saw that at 3 in the morining after I threw up when I was sick and i was like barely functioning and then the next day I couldn't remember if that was a dream or a real show lol:laugh:
I saw it again though and I had no idea what was going on :D

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Superjail hit on issues American cartoons don't generally like to touch on very seriously, namely hit home on all the beliefs in our society, such as our belief in rehabilitation, our belief that people are naturally good, our belief in capitalism, and even touching on homosexuality. Then there is the intense level of violence in the show, something American cartoons rarely touch on compared to the rest of the world, at least in such a serious light. It challenges the very essence of what we believe to be the animation genre, which as Jamie Hewlett, animator of Gorillaz put it, "over done stories rehashed with talking animals." or insert other personified object.
Then there is its beautiful style, every frame hand drawn, some what of a forgotten art here, and its ludicrous art designs, most obvious during the 5 minute violent streaks at the end of each episode.
For whatever reason, America doesn't take animation as seriously as the rest of the world.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
though: disclaimer, this has nothing to do with good or bad. I love Ratatouille. Just because something isn't ground breaking or important doesn't make it bad, I just really get frustraited with the American animation department sometimes, especially when the Oscars like to suck Disney's ****, Ratatouille had no place winning over Persepolis, which was quite simply the most important animated movie of the decade, for multiple reasons.

bobson

Smash Lord
please tell me 1 original and ground breaking thing that Pixar does, other than make movies you like and create better graphic rendering programs.
Frankly, who gives a ****?
"Good" and "revolutionary" are not mutually inclusive. You can have one without the other. There are plenty of movies that don't do anything new and are still decidedly good, and Pixar's are among the best of them.

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
though: disclaimer, this has nothing to do with good or bad. I love Ratatouille. Just because something isn't ground breaking or important doesn't make it bad, I just really get frustraited with the American animation department sometimes, especially when the Oscars like to suck Disney's ****, Ratatouille had no place winning over Persepolis, which was quite simply the most important animated movie of the decade, for multiple reasons.
I'd love to hear those reasons:)

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Frankly, who gives a ****?
"Good" and "revolutionary" are not mutually inclusive. You can have one without the other. There are plenty of movies that don't do anything new and are still decidedly good, and Pixar's are among the best of them.
Except that people act likes these are miles upon miles better, when they are just doing the same thing as everyone else, just slightly better.

I'd love to hear those reasons:)
The content: it seeks to take today's largest struggle, and put a human face on it. She can probably explain better than me, so I'll use an interview she did with another animator.

Not to mention its wonderful original animation style, taking inspiration in part from the historic drawings of Iraq, the propaganda films of Iraq, and her own inserts of personality, and its overall general fluidity.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
honestly Crashic this is like the first time I have completely agreed with you on something haha

back on topic, I am one of the apparent few who believed Toy Story 2 wasn't very good. I was young when I saw it but even then I was kinda bored in the theater just waiting to go home. Not too excited about 3 for that reason.

and it's so incredibly sad to me that Superjail's 2nd season got canceled. worst news I've heard in months.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
wow, thanks for finding that:)
what is your sig btw
this is off topic, but you really should put on your profile visitor messages. Its somewhere in your user control panel. We disagree sometimes, but I think me and you could talk about a whole lot of things and be good friends on this site.
My sig are two musicans: Mr Oizo (French House music) and Quasimoto (drugged out West Coast hip-hop)
Mr. Oizo- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv6Ewqx3PMs
Quasimoto- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RleIPAaAoyg
I guess since their both animated its half on topic XD

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
I will try to find that and if I get it turned on then I'll post it in here
EDIT: I think I got it. I changed it so I can receive stuff from people who aren't my friends :D

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
I liked Toy Story 2! If you are gonna hate on a Pixar movie, hate on Cars! Also, Finding Nemo and Wall-E are overrated! The Incredibles is my Pixar favorite!
ok do you really always post with exclamation marks... its kind of freaking me out

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
lol, the animator of GORILLAZ said that. I'm convinced.

I'm saying WORLD > US
Well at least you're saying that, I hate it when people pull that "every anime inherently has more artistic value than any American animation" while **** like Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach still run American youth's mindset on anime. Yes, I love Ghibli, but other countries are just as guilty as doing what America "doesn't" do with its Animation.

Also, Waking Life.

But yeah, Toy Story 2 has nothing on the first, with which Pixar practically reinvigorated the American animated fairy. Then Dreamworks had to ruin everything for everyone. Seriously, not even Aardman Animations could stop that.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
lol, the animator of GORILLAZ said that. I'm convinced.

Well at least you're saying that, I hate it when people pull that "every anime inherently has more artistic value than any American animation" while **** like Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach still run American youth's mindset on anime. Yes, I love Ghibli, but other countries are just as guilty as doing what America "doesn't" do with its Animation.

Also, Waking Life.

But yeah, Toy Story 2 has nothing on the first, with which Pixar practically reinvigorated the American animated fairy. Then Dreamworks had to ruin everything for everyone. Seriously, not even Aardman Animations could stop that.
You don't have to worry about One Piece it got killed by 4kids here by large amounts of unnecessary edits. It's almost number one everywhere else :)

I wasn't that big of a fan of Toy Story 2, and I only like the Prospector :/

Top Bottom