• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tourney Rankings + Tier Position

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Has anybody seen Wolfs recent tourney results? He's doing quite well at the moment. He has lots of top 4 rankings and currently he's higher than Pit, Olimar and the Ice Climbers. :)

What does that mean?

1.) Wolf is tournament viable - nothing new actually but there were a lot of people, who doubted...

2.) Wolf can do well, despite the bad match-ups against 5 of the sanctual seven (maybe his match-ups aren't that bad...?)

3.) There are more good Wolf players out there, proving their skill!

Good news for Wolf players: It's getting better!!!

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Yes, it's in his thread on the tactical boards. At the moment Wolf is top of C-Rank <Borderline> tied with Peach. A little more and he'll rise into the "standard" rank (B)

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
Imagine that, a few people have found his potential. Now, why don't we step it up next? And become those contributing factors to Ankoku's list ;)

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
Wolf is high on the "tier list" I wish I could just get my wolf out there, I have been doing great with a bunch of people, but we never go to tourneys D;

His match-ups do make me sad though, but if you have a good back-up you should be able to break the 7.

He's breaking tiers this is turning out well.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I think Wolfs place in low high tier is pretty much justified. Everything about him is over average, his moveset, his tourney results and his match-up's (there! I said it! They aren' amazing but some other chars could be envy >_>)

Patinator

Smash Champion
Imagine that, a few people have found his potential. Now, why don't we step it up next? And become those contributing factors to Ankoku's list ;)
Yeah, well... This sums up my thoughts. :/

As a mainer of one of the Sacred Seven, I'd just like to say:

Can't let you do that, Star Wolf.
Oh, go eat your stupid bread. Falco purists aren't welcome here.

Patinator

Smash Champion
No humor, sire?
He's/she's a Falco-mainer. Our sworn enemy. I have no time to laugh at their silly bread-induced jokes. HMPH. :mad:

Now, with that out of the way, I'm happy about Wolf's tier placement. It's about Peach and Captain Falcon's spots in Melee, when you think about things that way.

JCav

Smash Lord
i think wolf is good right where he is.

is he tournament viable? yes i think so. ive played with wolf in every tourney ive gone to and ive done decent with him. its just always those tough matchups that really limit him if you dont have the experience against those characters.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
Falco is almost 3rd :laugh:

Since now I finally played Smash after a month and a half, I found my Second Main(MK) is boring to play with, so Wolf took his spot, working on DDD,Pika or Kirby to take Wolf's old place. I'm happy hes moving up, I want a main whos in Mid High tier(which wolf might be)

Kenrawr

Smash Master
As more and more people play Falco/D3 (and maybe MK?) I don't see him moving anywhere but down really. :<

And pikachu's the ****. Good choice. [awesomness-wise that is]

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Wait! This isn't a "appreciate your main" thread. It's about Wolf so stop talikng about Falco or Pikachu <_<

Either way, Wolfs tourney results are getting better, despite the large numbers of D3s and Falcos...

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Yeah, but honestly I was surprised to see Wolf in high. Not like I'm complaining, but I thought the matchups against D3 and Falco would keep us out. To keep our spot, we just need to develop our metagame faster than they're developing their metagames, until everyone reaches their full capacity and the final tier list is released.

Patinator

Smash Champion
YES, ENOUGH ABOUT PIKACHU AND FALCO. We'll just get to ******** bread jokes typical of the Falco-maining species. >_>

Though I must admit, I'm really surprised Dedede took the top three spot.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I'm not surprised by this. BRoomers seem to care a lot for tourney results in cases like that. But don't emntion Luigi and Bowser -_-

Kenrawr

Smash Master
Wait! This isn't a "appreciate your main" thread. It's about Wolf so stop talikng about Falco or Pikachu <_<

Either way, Wolfs tourney results are getting better, despite the large numbers of D3s and Falcos...
lol. I was discussing his placement on the tier list by talking about the growing number of Falcos. (In my region anyway) I don't see how that was unrelated.

Also Pikachu isn't my main. Wolf is my character. I just adore the dude :O

That is assuming this post was partly directed towards me :p

Edit: Also I'm curious as to where Wolf is doing decently currently to deserve this spot. I've been out of the scene for a while. Thanks :3

teekay

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I think this is about where I was imagining Wolf being at least for the near future. I'm always saying I think he has loads of untapped potential and that remains true, but I also still think he'll always be just on the edge of being in the best and it'll always be an uphill battle to main him. Which is great.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Wolf doesn't have many, if any, favorable matchups against the characters tiered higher than him. Tournament wins with Wolf comes down to matchup experience, smart play, and somehow getting around Falco and DDD.

Imo, Wolf does better in doubles than singles. Whereas characters like Snake, Falco and DDD are the opposite.

TKD

Smash Lord
Wolf's matchups? Why are you complaining about Wolf's matchups? He's really only weak against Falco and Dedede, and I used to beat Falcoes when I mained him (then I went to main Climbers, then Metaknight, then Sheik...).

If Wolf players play Metaknight or Zelda as a secondary against Dedede and Falco, it's all good...each, D3 and Falco, is weak against both Metaknight and Zelda (Zelda has it easier, because she and Sheik are big counters to Dedede, while MK is a light counter on both).

I think Wolf's matchups are nice. One big and one moderate/big weakness. That's two. Wolf is almost a Marth, except Marth's weaks are both light (but his weaknesses are way more common, which evens it out!!).

Wolf only needs more players. To me, he does not need representation. I already know the character is quite capable.

Wolf doesn't have many, if any, favorable matchups against the characters tiered higher than him. Tournament wins with Wolf comes down to matchup experience, smart play, and somehow getting around Falco and DDD.

Imo, Wolf does better in doubles than singles. Whereas characters like Snake, Falco and DDD are the opposite.
In the highest level of gameplay, everyone goes from high to top tier, against which High and Top tier characters don't have that many favorable matchups (except my buds MK and Snake, both of which Wolf doesn't care about). About Snake and Dedede doing bad at doubles (even Falco who isn't bad)...LOL!!!! OMG, have you never gone to a tournament?

Sorry but that post bothered me very much.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Wolf's matchups? Why are you complaining about Wolf's matchups? He's really only weak against Falco and Dedede, and I used to beat Falcoes when I mained him (then I went to main Climbers, then Metaknight, then Sheik...).

If Wolf players play Metaknight or Zelda as a secondary against Dedede and Falco, it's all good...each, D3 and Falco, is weak against both Metaknight and Zelda (Zelda has it easier, because she and Sheik are big counters to Dedede, while MK is a light counter on both).

I think Wolf's matchups are nice. One big and one moderate/big weakness. That's two. Wolf is almost a Marth, except Marth's weaks are both light (but his weaknesses are way more common, which evens it out!!).

Wolf only needs more players. To me, he does not need representation. I already know the character is quite capable.

In the highest level of gameplay, everyone goes from high to top tier, against which High and Top tier characters don't have that many favorable matchups (except my buds MK and Snake, both of which Wolf doesn't care about). About Snake and Dedede doing bad at doubles (even Falco who isn't bad)...LOL!!!! OMG, have you never gone to a tournament?

Sorry but that post bothered me very much.
Kinda hard to understand your grammar. I've been to plenty of Brawl tournaments, actually. I never said Snake and DDD do bad at doubles, I said they're better at singles. Don't put words in my mouth. What's up with your reading comprehension? My opinion is that Wolf's matchups vs high and top tier overall, are nothing special and it's why he's placed where he is. Agreeing with his tier placement is complaining? This is pretty all i'm gonna say regarding this. Arguing opinions about a game doesn't help advance the meta game.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
K My opinion is that Wolf's matchups vs high and top tier overall, are nothing special and it's why he's placed where he is. Agreeing with his tier placement is complaining? This is pretty all i'm gonna say regarding this. Arguing opinions about a game doesn't help advance the meta game.
No character has amazing match-up's vs the top tiers. That's why they are top in the first place -_-

Also, Wolf does have few disadvantages outside of the sacred seven (he loses to 5 of them: Marth, Falco, MK, DDD and GaW) he has few disadvantages. Most of the high tier charcters can be defeated by mere skill, since Wolf actually has many neutral match-up's.

Kenrawr

Smash Master
and I used to beat Falcoes when I mained him
How long ago was this? I use to beat Falcos till they learned a couple of techs, too.
And if they did know the techs (like my favorite CG'ing) what was your strategy of avoiding/surviving it?
One Wolf player doesn't make a difference. Falco ***** Wolf in general.
No character has amazing match-up's vs the top tiers. That's why they are top in the first place -_-

Also, Wolf does have few disadvantages outside of the sacred seven (he loses to 5 of them: Marth, Falco, MK, DDD and GaW) he has few disadvantages. Most of the high tier charcters can be defeated by mere skill, since Wolf actually has many neutral match-up's.
Gee, I wish in a tourney that I'd run into something other than a Marth, Falco, MK, DDD, and GaW. Too bad. =[

Turbo Ether

Smash Master

Um, other characters actually do have better matchups against high and top tier. That's kinda why they win more tournaments and are placed higher on the tier list. Wolf having lots of neutral matchups is exactly why I said his matchups are nothing special, and him losing to a few top/high doesn't help either. His position on the current tier list is perfectly justified on paper, considering his strengths, weaknesses and matchups. I`m aware that Wolf can outskill a lot of the characters higher than him, I pointed this out two posts ago.

Many neutral matchups isn't good, it's average.

teekay

Smash Journeyman
Honestly if you think Wolf "doesn't care about" Metaknight you are completely insane. It is a horrible matchup. Meta outprioritizes everything you have, outspeeds you, outdamages you, pretty much out everythings you. I'd really love to hear why Wolf "doesn't care about" this.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
It's not that Wolf doesn't "care" about Meta Knight, he's just more concerned with Falco and DDD.

Kenrawr

Smash Master
^ That' not true. MK is a worse match-up for Wolf than D3
Debatable. Although, I think MK may be slightly harder imo. With D3 you can counter pick stages much easier for one.

Edit: I just remembered one of the most annoying match-ups for me. Diddy Kong!
Does anyone else struggle a bit with the little creature?

teekay

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to hear why. D3 is a big target, and he doesn't like Wolf's aerials. That at least is in your favor. You will get chain grabbed to death if you're not super careful, but I'd much rather face D3's chain grabs than an unstoppable storm of lagless disjointed hitboxes. And Meta can gimp your recovery at least as easily as the king can.

for the record, my comment about Wolf not caring was directed to TKD, who on the previous page claimed that Wolf does not care about MK and Snake which I think is completely absurd. Wolf has a tough time against both those characters but especially Metaknight.

People are also failing to acknowledge Game n Watch who is also a tough matchup for Wolf. Which leaves us with... all the top characters right now being a bad matchup. Which is why people say the situation is grim for Wolf in a tourney. It is. Doesn't mean he isn't tournament viable, just that he's never going to be tip top.

Top Bottom