• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament Gaming Research Project

Kwan

Smash Cadet
Hello Smashboards,

I'm currently working on a student research project at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. My research focuses on the development of future video games with a tournament scene in mind. It also encompasses the notion of popularizing televised tournaments, and how a major corporation should go about it. Please take a few minutes of your time to fill out this questionnaire. Thank you for your participation.

Click here to take survey

-Michael Kwan

kr3wman

Smash Master
As Long as Wife/DA-Dave do the commentaries, things should go right.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
"televised gaming tournaments"

Wow.
I wish.

Edit: Done. P=

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
They have Halo and those other shooting game tournaments on G4, why can't they have smash bros? Nobody there takes that game seriously >__>

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
They have Halo and those other shooting game tournaments on G4, why can't they have smash bros? Nobody there takes that game seriously >__>
If Melee couldn't get any TV coverage, there's no way in hell people are gonna take Brawl tournaments seriously.

Halo had its shot, but it still didn't get widely watched.

It'll take BIG production risks if any company really wants to push competitive gaming out there into TV Land. Who will watch it? Gamers. Or at least people who understand gaming. In Korea, everyone has played Starcraft or at the very least understands exactly what is going on in the games. Even 10 year old girls could recognize good micro. It would take many years until a game finds that kind of widespread popularity in the US, and that game would have to have depth.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
Did the survey.

Anyway, adding to choknater's comment:
Many videogames, especially those on consoles, are in the US and extremly in Europe still thought to be children's toys.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Media Coverage (Commentary) 2

The second question makes literally no sense with the answer tree I followed. I ended up giving a garbage answer for everything because of it.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
If Melee couldn't get any TV coverage, there's no way in hell people are gonna take Brawl tournaments seriously.
This. srsly.

I wouldn't mind if they brought old Melee matches to TV. That would still be awesome. =P

Ballistaboy

Smash Journeyman
Just took the survey, it was easy to do, for some parts i said i never seen a tournament for brawl televised, but it asked questions about televised brawl so i just said what ive seen online ha

Nybb

Smash Journeyman
Done.

I'm pleased to see research done into this, and I really hope that maybe by Super Smash Bros 5: Violent Altercation, we see some televised tourney matches.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero

Halo had its shot, but it still didn't get widely watched.

It'll take BIG production risks if any company really wants to push competitive gaming out there into TV Land. Who will watch it? Gamers. Or at least people who understand gaming. In Korea, everyone has played Starcraft or at the very least understands exactly what is going on in the games. Even 10 year old girls could recognize good micro. It would take many years until a game finds that kind of widespread popularity in the US, and that game would have to have depth.
Sadly, this seems to be the case. :\

Though one must admit, that if any fighting game was ever to be televised, it would almost definitely be Smash Bros. due to its overwhelming popularity*and overall user-friendliness.

Now that I think about it, if they made a Smash Bros. combining Melee's speed with Brawl's user-friendliness, we could totally have a game that people could enjoy watching on TV.

Though at that rate, you may as well have just made a TV program based on CGI characters fighting. :\

...Didn't Obama once say he likes to play Smash Bros. Brawl with his family?

Top Bottom