• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Touhou Hisoutensoku Thread

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
He goes to the top because the start-up frames on j6c and j2c get covered easily on her ascent, and the moves keep me from getting in since she can just airdash cancel them so quickly. It isn't a matter of "Oh man what a shocker, he sure caught me off-guard" as "Oh okay, he's up there, I guess I just will have to hope his frame safe j2a whiffs so I can hit him with 2b."

Like, what is Alice going to throw out to stop it, 3a?

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Not the lobby often. Other fighters take up my time. I play Soku with Moth, Gova, and Sold2. People should be on Skype so I can make a group. It would probably be fairly active.

---

He goes to the top because the start-up frames on j6c and j2c get covered easily on her ascent, and the moves keep me from getting in since she can just airdash cancel them so quickly. It isn't a matter of "Oh man what a shocker, he sure caught me off-guard" as "Oh okay, he's up there, I guess I just will have to hope his frame safe j2a whiffs so I can hit him with 2b."

Like, what is Alice going to throw out to stop it, 3a?
The ceiling is far different from a jump.

Run default 214 and throw it every time Komachi jumps. Dolls eat j2a and Komachi cries herself to sleep. Congrats.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I'll be sure to get on Skype more often when I'm in town, then. You can make a group and add me, if you want.

I didn't know Gova was actually playing. He's always busy/tired/whatever when I talk to him about it.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I talk with him a lot and as such, can bother him into it because I know when he's not doing anything else.

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
oh OH oh add me.

I think I'm funny because I try to play Sanae and my Sanae looks really solid and stuff but then I lose and so I just pick easy mode characters like Reisen and win. It's a good thing I don't like Sanae as a touhou character in general, or I'd be really torn up about this.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I'll make one if I get Skype names.
Well, assuming you have Moth, Gova, Sold2 and Ryker (I HOPE you have Ryker) already, you just have to add "CrowTenguCoud" and "jamlosingthegame" so far.
How many more do you need for a group?

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I can make a group with any number, I just have no need to make one seeing as Moth, Gova, Sold, and myself are all in the DGames group anyway.

crescentia

Smash Journeyman
so uh

where do I go to learn this game? it's been a while since I've played ANY fighting game and smashboards used to be my go-to forum for this kind of stuff

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
No, it's just a bad translation.
But I don't care about Japanese, so it's all good.

so uh

where do I go to learn this game? it's been a while since I've played ANY fighting game and smashboards used to be my go-to forum for this kind of stuff
You ask questions and play people. I'll play with you if no one else will. After that, you lose. And you lose, and you lose, and you lose, and you lose, and as you lose you ask more questions and then you lose more, and then you figure out why you're losing and you start correcting it, then you win, then you lose more, but you then keep correcting things until you start winning more often.

crescentia

Smash Journeyman
well, I'm familiar with the cycle of learning - but I was more curious as to if there were any sorts of guides or videos or other educational materials that a simple google search won't turn up

I'll start skyping people for games once my new controller arrives in the mail...

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I learned most of what I've learned so far from playing in the lobby/IRC or watching replays. The Wiki kind of helps, too.
Curious, what's your character?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
learning defence in this game is really hard unless you talk to people on irc/lobby and play a lot of practice games (without the intent to win, just to practise defending in the corner or something)

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Defense is basically knowing the block string your opponent is doing. If you don't know what they doing, better adapt. Some defense skills to learn is knowing when to border escape to escape/punish a block string while also managing your spirit orbs at the same time.. And then there's dealing with cross ups..

This mainly all comes from experience

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Guarding is pretty broken. You can screw up ~4-6 times with max orbs before actually taking a BnB (unless it's Sunshower or something) and BEing refills your gauge (minus the broken orb).
You can also just graze out during certain parts of certain blockstrings, but I'm really really bad at that. ^^;
Which reminds me, using bullet cover to force a graze or block and punishing with a physical attack is common, so be careful with grazing.

Also, learn weather effects. It'll be really obvious if you try to beat out an Okuu during Typhoon, but some have effects that aren't as obvious at first.
BTW. Spring Haze, River Mist, and Typhoon are DUMB. Just thought I'd say that.

EDIT: I could SWEAR there was an option to control a CPU's groundtechs in practice...
Maybe I'm losing my mind.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I hate river mist.... So much

And typhoon.. Typhoon has ruined many intense games i've had with jam :/ just to be anti-climatic.. Spring haze is fine for me... (though i still hate weather)

Dango

Smash Rookie
I hate river mist.... So much

And typhoon.. Typhoon has ruined many intense games i've had with jam :/ just to be anti-climatic.. Spring haze is fine for me... (though i still hate weather)
River mists, i find very useful. If you know the flow of how a rivermist works, you can actually make baits a LOT stronger because of the extra momentum it forces/reverses. Just another reason to make your bait game a lot more convincing.

Defense is basically knowing the block string your opponent is doing. If you don't know what they doing, better adapt. Some defense skills to learn is knowing when to border escape to escape/punish a block string while also managing your spirit orbs at the same time.. And then there's dealing with cross ups..

This mainly all comes from experience
Pretty much this, but at the same time, you really gotta know what defense mechanisms you have. At a certain level, people will FORCE you to occasionally BE out of strings. Other times, you can read them and poke/dash out. What most people fail to understand is that, the longer you wait out the blockstring, the longer you have to analyze their openings and abuse certain habits. Of course, it becomes different in each situation. People will alternate between staggers and airtight strings.

Also, NEVER try to punish/attack back after a border escape. You need to realize how much more you costed yourself if you try to reattain the offensive through a mere defensive measure. A BE doesnt mean you're safe. A good player can punish those kinds of attempts, and in the long run, you're wasting more than 1 orb. A good opponent can abuse that and use strings that will guarantee crush at 3 orbs or less, without a BE. You've broken an orb. All it takes is 1 wrongblock for you to already have lost another one. You're better off forcing a neutral, trying to regain the orbs before you try anything risky.

For crossups, unless you're playing vs a remilia, for the most part you bring yourself into them. SUP (Super Udonge Punch) crossups only work if you tech. Same with suwako j.2A oki. It really depends though, but when you get crossed up, a lot of the times, you bring it upon yourself.

Dango

Smash Rookie
gg whoever that was (if you were from here)
Certainly one of the better reimu players around. Really fun games :p

Top Bottom