• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top10 Most Influencial Smashers on todays Metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Well the topic is pretty self-explanatory. I personally will not be submitting a list of my own, due to my relative newness of smash, plus I just wouldn't be able to make smart enough choices. I thought tournament discussion would be appropriate for this.

What do you guys think?

Bailey

Smash Hero
PC and Bombsoldier because that is what every Falco in the world tries the same combos over and over. Also Ken and Mike G because everyone tries those 2 characters. Also KM because he is a sexy beast lol

Sensai

Smash Master
Great GREAT topic, IMO.

Bombsoldier is most certainly up there, as he is (this is probably wrong, but IMO) why Falco moved up in the tiers.

Ken. Obviously. Where else would Marth players look?

Other then that, I'm not so sure (hell, even those might be wrong). You can bet that the DBR crew plays a fairly big role in showing new Smashers advanced techs in pretty packages. The thing that got me into competitive Smash was Shined Blind.

RedSoxFan3

Smash Ace
The arrival of Falco on top tier has definitely changed things. Look at how the tiers have changed.

In all honesty I feel it will be a matter of time before the circuit adjusts once again and you see new characters come into play with new tactics against the space animals. It only takes one or two pro players to bring something new to the circuit and change the metagame once again.

Recently King has come up with a completely new rest combo. I don't think its going to be ground-breaking, but who knows. I think tactics and style of play is going to be the main thing that will change the metagame any further.

To be honest though. I don't see anymore big changes coming up for SSBM though. SSBB is gonna come out soon and thus could be the end of our travelling close-knit community. :(

Sensai

Smash Master
Somehow, RedSox, I don't think that the arrival of Brawl will make the Melee community go away. It might make it diminish a tad, but it'll still be around, definitely.

Xelyst

-_-
Wes
CaptainJack
Azen
Chu
Ken
Iasi
KDJ
Bombsoldier
PC
Chillin

(in no order)

a few from top 8 and others nobody should forget xD

Pneuma

Smash Ace
Bombsoldier and PC Chris for Falco for sure.
Wes and HugS for Samus.
Eddie for Ganon (Eddie-spike hur hurr hurrrrr).
Chu Dat for ICs.
Ken for Marth.
Mew2King and KDJ for Fox.
Azen for teh mindgames!

JBlaze1394

Smash Ace
I think someone should close this topic, honestly. Everyone's lists should look pretty much the same. Looking over the lists already posted, they basically do.

Good question to ask...not enough differentiation in answers to support a thread, though.

Dopey

Smash Lord
everyone thinks BS started the ledge stall and jump off ledge laser LOL.

Drephen

Smash Master
yeah bombsolider didnt really do anything

pc - love the guy, but he didnt really invent anything, hes just really good at emulating everyone else

kdj - same thing, just a real good player

people i think that deserve it

wes - the guy invented samus, showed us a whole new side to mindgames, and affecting the community itself with his attitude

azen - a whole new style of gameplay that everyone took bits and pieces from, also him playing so many different character so well inspired many smashers to switch characters

chu dat - defined Ice Climbers and showed us that low tiers are just as good as high tiers

chillin - defined fox

isai - defined falcon and came with new techniques that we stole

ken - always seems to be one step ahead of the metagame, always one-upping himself at every tourney, most consistent smasher ever

king - seem to emerge late in smash but brought a whole new style of jigglypuff, new and creative ideas

m2k - closest thing to perfection (evolved the metagame but dont think anyone wants to copy him, we want lives lol)

DA dave - defined falco

caveman - star player that improved the south, defined doc and young link

MyNiggaNameDante

Smash Journeyman
Drephen is very right

i have a few other opinions tho

Wes was the reason I joined smash boards over 2 years ago hints the name

Ken has been the king of smash

Azen has been another champion of smash

i dont know about chillindude, more like Matt Deezie

Isai is definently on the list

Chu dat because hes the first smasher that lives on the East Coast to claim west coast

Captain Jack because he introduced a rivalry between Japan and America

Reciferous because he was the first champion of competitive smash

King Luigi becuase he was the king of luigi

DireVulcan

Smash Lord
Drephen is very right

i have a few other opinions tho

Wes was the reason I joined smash boards over 2 years ago hints the name

Ken has been the king of smash

Azen has been another champion of smash

i dont know about chillindude, more like Matt Deezie

Isai is definently on the list

Chu dat because hes the first smasher that lives on the East Coast to claim west coast

Captain Jack because he introduced a rivalry between Japan and America

Reciferous because he was the first champion of competitive smash

King Luigi becuase he was the king of luigi

Suuure guy, do some homework.

Kamaal was the king of luigi.

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

Haha, +rep for you.

Hell, I don't think Sheik even needed defining. It was just kinda like 'Wow, look at that thing move..let's do that!'

Her and Peach.../sigh.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Screw the metagame.

Ken, Azen, Isai are good blah blah. It's been said. Here are people who have inspired me the most:

1. Mathos and Viperboy- My Falco heros. I wouldn't play the way I did if it wasn't for them. I probably wouldn't have lost so much either.

2. Chillin- Attitude. 'nuff said

3. M2K- I aim for his level of nerdiness perfection.

4. G-Reg- He is mighty. The knee is mighty.

If you think my reasons are shallow then :p

Lixivium

Smash Champion
I think someone should close this topic, honestly. Everyone's lists should look pretty much the same. Looking over the lists already posted, they basically do.

Good question to ask...not enough differentiation in answers to support a thread, though.
I guess the better topic is then "Top 10 Most Influential Smashers on YOUR Game". That's a question everyone can answer.

DippnDots

Feral Youth
Joe Bushman111, because he's the lord of gamefaqs
AlphaZealot
Paradigm
Tink
Dope
Eddie
Mathos
Dark Rain
Watty

I chose these people becasue they've had the biggest effect on my gameplay, from either playing with them or watching them play, they've all tought me things on how to play my characters (Ganon, Falcon, Samus, Falco, Marth, Peach)

forward

Smash Champion
I think the list depends on where your from, and the character you play. It really just comes down to who's doing well in a region that other players (who probably don't travel as much) will take their tactics from.

However, I'll still add my 2 cents to the list.

Wes - Run behind f smash. Jab dodge. There's a lot of tactics that I see that simply say "Wes" to me.

Caveman/Rob$/Zulu - The Crystal City players were huge in the South. Caveman usually relied on what seemed to be a simple style, he didn't do things that were flashy, in fact, he even played kinda slow, yet his mind games were unbelievable.

Isai - Invented CF. One of the first players I saw to implement wave landing to their game.

Ken - Invented Marth, and continually finds trick after trick after trick. I swear, every tournament I've been too I've seen Ken using a new trick. I remember when I first saw him start using the reverse up-b. Of course I knew it could kill but I never thought I'd see it used.

Azen - This may be because I'm from the WC, but to me it seems that Azen invented the EC style. I've seen it said from other WC players, that all EC players play like Azen. For awhile he was the only other person who actually had a good Marth besides Ken, so in a way he too defined Marth.

Eddie - Anyone who has been playing from the beginning is gonna have an impact on the scene, and that's where Eddie comes in. I remember when I first saw him do an empty jump into grab. I never thought that would work in this game but he proved me wrong.

*My more biased choices*

Me - I'd like to think of myself as an innovative player. DA Dave was definitly the Falco in the spot light for the longest time but while he was popular over on the EC I was doing my thing over here. I was the first one to use double lasers from the ledge in battle. My attack style broke the standard d air - shine patterns that you saw most Falcos using, and I had never seen another Falco play off of platforms the way I had. I was very underground back in the day (still relatively am) but anywhere I traveled I left an impression.

DieSuperFly - He didn't event Sheik, far from it, but he had his own style that I think many players don't even realize they're using. He was the one I learned to use platforms from, and during his hay-day he was almost unstoppable. He was the first one I saw using needle cancels, and to this day the only other Sheik that I think can use platforms the way he did is another WC sheik player, Omar.

Taj - Relatively unknown, he has one of the fastest styles you will ever see. His movement is what sepearates him from other players and you will see it best incorporated in his Mewtwo and Marth. Taj and I were the first ones to ever take a set from Ken and Isai, the unstoppable El Chocolate Diablo. At the time, most teams were trying to seperate the match into two 1vs1s. When we played our matches we used our team work to assist, save, and kill the other players. After our vids were released, more and more teams were able to take wins against the almight El Chocolate Diablo.

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Kish Style FTW

We're the worst players to have a style named after us.

I do like this idea, though I think it is better to go by character than the overall metagame. It's too hard to evaluate. Has Ken really had an effect on the metagame as a whole, or is his personal metagame just different (and better) than the rest of us? Nigh impossible to say, but he obviously influenced every Marth under the sun.

chinesahh

Smash Lord
azen - everyone uses something azen first pioneered. look back at his old videos, and you'll see **** you just started to do now.

ken - obviously.

chu - ics.

chillin - the first true shine master

eddie - empty jump into grab

isai - wow. techchasing, random technical ****s, and he is always fun to watch

wes - i remember a long *** time ago when i didnt even think some of that **** he pulled was real. swd too.

mike g - the only fast peach

mike from canada - the vids were too funny to ignore. his dk was inspiring too

captain jack - obviously.

and im REALLY ****ing suprised no ones said it, but tetsuya. remember his combo vid? wow. and his fox was so technical and ****. that was way back when too

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I believe this falls under:

pointless list topic.

Either way, such a topic is better used in the Melee discussion.

And with actual thought attached, like WHY is someone influential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom