• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top Surprises in Brawl: What Blew You Away?

KrazyKaiju

Smash Cadet
So Brawl is officially out in Japan, and most people perusing the boards have gotten most of the details about the game and are eagerly awaiting the March 9th release.

At some point or another, there was bound to be some kind of surprise(s) that blew you away. It was something out of the ordinary and unpredictable.

I, for instance, felt that characters like King Dedede and Diddy Kong were predictable yet pleasant additions. Wifi, I felt was a given, too, because it seems that most games are going the way of online nowadays. (Note: only my personal opinion)

However, there were something that I felt blew me (and possibly a large portion of the Smash community) out of the water. They are as follows:

Top 5 Surprises

5. Assist Trophies - Brawl is truly a virtual Nintendo museum. Aside from having a typical trophy library, you're now able to summon "Assist Trophies" like Pokemon. If you wanted to see some larger-than-life character make an appearance in Brawl, this was probably where to look. Just pop the AT count on Very High and have a Nintendo Battle Royale!

4. Co-op Modes - I've always been an advocate for community feel in a game, and it seems like the ever-growing popularity of online gaming has accomplished this "community feel" in some way. Brawl went along with the flow, and I think it was the right thing to do. However, it converted several single player modes into potential co-op modes, where you can sit down with a friend and try to beat your top scores. I always preferred interpersonal experiences over text/IMs. They just feel it's more enriching, and these co-op modes help create a bit more of that interpersonal experience.

3. Robust Music Library - Judging from the Dojo updates, I didn't think the music library was going to be small, but I didn't think it was going to be this big either. I just looked at the library of music, and it's HUGE! Brawl took some of each franchise's best music, redid some pieces, and molded a thoroughly awesome listening experience. I just wish they'd allow you to mix-and-match music with levels. I definitely would've liked to play "Live and Learn" on Final Destination or Ridley MP3 boss music on the Halberd.

2. Custom Levels - Sure, Brawl has a massive selection of levels, and some of them are pretty insane. But custom levels? I've seen some of these options too - it's insane! Sometimes, you're more likely to be killed by the level than by another player. The possibilities for levels are endless. On top of that, it appears as if you can put any music into those levels? Sweet! Maybe I wasn't satisfied with the lack of a mix-and-match, but this will do just fine.

1. Newcomers Pokemon Trainer and Olimar - Another Pokemon addition was easy to forsee, but who would've thought that it would be a 3-in-1 addition? Besides, Charizard had always been a Pokeball in prior Smash installments. Pokemon Trainer took mechanics instituted by Zelda/Sheik a large step further. The newcomer(s) completely surprised me, and I can't wait to at least test out PT. Olimar, though seemingly "predictable", added new mechanics that I didn't see coming. I played the Pikmin games and never really saw Olimar as a smasher. Looks like the developers at Sora, Ltd. proved me wrong. Bravo!

What were your big surprises? Make the list as big or as small as you want, but most of all, enjoy!

DeadtoSin

Smash Apprentice
My biggest surprise was probably when I found out that King Dedede was going to be in the game. That made me awfully happy...

nickomahen

Smash Rookie
Snake, Custom levels, Subspace Emissary, Co-op Events, demos for everyones games. and sorta assist trophies.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
1. The Soundtrack. Seriously, 300+ songs? That's unheard of! I can't believe simply how massive it is, and the best part is that it's not just filled with crap. There are a LOT of really great songs in it, and I've really enjoyed listening to it since I got it.

2. The Subspace Emissary. Before the game's details were out and about, I would've NEVER guessed that there would be a true story to Brawl. I mean I assumed that there would be a new version of Adventure mode to some extent (maybe longer but not by that much) but I never thought that there would be a 10+ hour story mode. I can't wait to start playing through this because I've heard very good things about it for the most part (although supposedly the end is bad which sucks).

3. Newcomers. My friends and I were in a consesus before the Dojo was around that Olimar was pretty much a lock for this game after the success of Pikmin. But R.O.B., Lucas, Zero Suit Samus, Ike (I thought Hector would be a better choice and just make Roy more of a heavy guy like Ike is), Lucario, Snake, and Toon Link totally took me by suprise. Also, I didn't expect any past characters to be discontinued, but there were some who were.

4. Physics Engine/Game Depth. Brawl took everything everyone was used to from Melee and turned it on its head. No wavedashing, no L-Canceling, auto-sweetspot, etc. It's ALL different. Also, from what it seems, each character must fight every other character with different tactics and moves in order to be successful, rather than just doing the same thing against everyone for the most part. Now you have to know thyself and know thy enemy to the largest degree. No more "hey, I think I'll switch from using Sonic to using Fox. It won't be that different and I will still be able to beat everyone." It doesn't work like that anymore, which is so awesome. Quite possibly my favorite feature of the game.

5. Stickers. Seriously, stickers? I still find this part of the game unnecessary, and I don't think I'll be doing much with my accumulated stickers. They just seem pointless to me. Everyone else sure seems to be hyped about them though. Maybe I'm missing something really cool about them, but I don't think so.

Impossibilities

Smash Apprentice
Definatly the song list....all those old classic remixed for brawl! outstanding...oh yeah and the day sonic was announced I actually has to rub my eyes to make sure I wasn't just seeing things.

captainfalconmute

Smash Ace
i was very surprised by the soundtrack, as most people were.

i was staggered at R.O.Bs appearance, i wasnt happy with it at first, but after watching a few videos im now kinda starting to like him :)

i wasnt surprised at all with clones though, i knew Sakurai would screw up somewhere

StealthFighterX

Smash Journeyman
Im going with sonic and that 300+ soundtrack..i love it i have some tracks already its awsome. When i heard sonic was in i wet myself! I flipped out it was so shocking to me.

maian

Smash Apprentice
The beautiful soundtrack, the stage maker, and Subspace Emissary. Who knew? It's going to be such a lovely game.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
The most pleasant surprise was the music.

The most unpleasant surprise was... probably the inclusion of Sheik, who didn't even play a part in Twilight Princess.

R.O.B. and SSE were pretty surprising too.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I'm gonna list mine like KrazyKaiju as there were many.

5 Triple Lansmaster FS 4 teh win & teh blok

4 Stages with no character representatives (Animal Crossing, Pictochat)

3 Wolf making it into the game afterall

2 The negative feedback online (People complaining about the gameplay, roster, etc.)

1 The 300+ soundtrack

What I saw coming a mile away
Lucario's inclusion
R.O.B. as a playable character
Ness's return despite Lucas's inclusion

Chrnocide

Smash Apprentice
Snake.

Sonic.

The music-list.

Co-Op Mode.

Wi-fi Compatable. ( i.e, able to play with friends and not have to leave the house )

TheZeroOne

Smash Apprentice
The best surprise for me was the Stage Builder, but I won't be using that for a long while. Since there's so many things for me to unlock In Brawl.

Heck, the best surprise WAS Brawl itself.

I wonder about the 3 landmasters....kind of disappointing have 3 near exact Final Smashes...

Not like I'll be using any of the space animals unless I have to.

JUMPING_YOSHI

Smash Cadet
1.The SSE (I love it,but needs more explanations.)
2.R.O.B. (More epic than R2-D2 or 102 Gamma.)
3.The Stage Builder(Yay!)
4.The negative feedback(And I tought that it would be perfect...at least it looks like it's perfect.)
5.Only 35 characters(And everyone was expecting a big DBZ:BT3 roster.)

Forget Me Not

Smash Apprentice
1. The "This World..." Update
-A whole lot of speculation and excitement about how Sakurai worded the update.
2. Newcomer Snake
-The debut of Sanke in the first trailer for SSBB was truely WTF.
3. "Not next spring, not next year, but December the 3rd..."
-The announcement on the release date of SSBB was welcome news, but when they delayed it that was a shocker. But a second delay, wasn't much of a shocker but totally bummed me out.
4. Custom Stages
-Brought me back to the days of playing Tony Hawk with custom skate parks. Can't wait to break in this mode.
5. Sonic the Hedgehog
-C'mon...there was any doubt he wouldn't make the roster? Sakurai isn't that f-ed up...

XACE-K

Smash Master
Masterpieces was the biggest suprise to me. Sakurai added something to an already awesome game that nobody expected.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
1. The "This World..." Update
-A whole lot of speculation and excitement about how Sakurai worded the update.
2. Newcomer Snake
-The debut of Sanke in the first trailer for SSBB was truely WTF.
3. "Not next spring, not next year, but December the 3rd..."
-The announcement on the release date of SSBB was welcome news, but when they delayed it that was a shocker. But a second delay, wasn't much of a shocker but totally bummed me out.
4. Custom Stages
-Brought me back to the days of playing Tony Hawk with custom skate parks. Can't wait to break in this mode.
5. Sonic the Hedgehog
-C'mon...there was any doubt he wouldn't make the roster? Sakurai isn't that f-ed up...
Mine exactly. Except snake was by far the biggest surprise. I didn't even play melee competitively when this announcement was made. I just kinda used captain falcon and tried to falcon punch everything. I remember going and watching the new E3 trailers--Halo 3, Smash Brawl, and just being in awe. Seeing snake at the end of that trailer got me into smash.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Pokemon Trainer.. Charizard was a pokeball pokemon, despite his popularity.. and that's what he was going to be in Brawl. At least that's what everyone was predicting before PT was revealed. That was fun. I think he should've been a secret character though... his revelation would've been so much more interesting if it'd been a leaked thing. Same with pretty much all the newcomers..

ThatInsaneKid

Smash Cadet
Uh...

FS were a pretty sweet surprise when I found out about them.

Same with Stage Builder.

And finding out R.O.B was in was pretty sweet. :DD

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
For me it was

1. Snake - When i seen the end of the first brawl tralier and they revealed that snake was in it i did **** a brick an actual brick it hurt. I sat there for 10 minutes wigging the **** out and then i called my brother who was at work just to tell him snake was in it i was actually that excited and i dont get excited that easy.

2. Stage Creator - This was genius being able to make your own stages makes it so that if you really want your list of new places to brawl on will never end and including the new stage everyday was another great idea becuase when you run out of ideas there is always going to be something new from someone else to play.

3. Rob - This guy came out of the blue i think people were expecting him less than Snake and they weren't happy when they seen him and neither was I untill i seen him in action and now i cant wait to try him.

4. The Music - The music is phenomenal there's a huge list of great music the lads went above and beyond on this i love every song on it.

5. The Shear depth of the Subspace Emissary we knew we were getting a more indepth one player adventure but i dont think anyone was expecting what we got. It's a game in self and partially wrote by one of the writer who worked on FF7 that made it even better.

There's my 5 biggest surprises.

SeriousWB

Smash Apprentice
What blew me away was when they showed Donkey and Diddy Kong's entrance to SSE on GameTrailers.

Omhatoen

Smash Apprentice
1-Co-op almost everything
2-being able to listen to almost any music on any stage
3-wi-fi
4-captain olimar being a character
5-r.o.b. being a character

Cenedar

Smash Ace
5. The first ever trailer: Remember that first trailer? The one introducing the Epic four, as I call them (Pit, Meta, ZZS, and Snake). That trailer blew my mind when I first saw it, and from then on I was obsessed about this game.

4. Stage Builder: Seriously? This was an awesome update. Now nobody can complain about stages being too simple or too random and dangerous. You don't like 'em? Make your own!

3. Soundtrack: Easily the most GIGANTIC soundtrack of any game I have ever heard of... ever. I mean seriously, over 300 songs? Good stuff there.

2. The Subspace Emissary: Sakurai had said that he wanted a more fleshed out single player mode. I don't think any of us were quite prepared for what he meant. The Subspace Emissary looks, for lack of a better word, incredible and I cannot wait to see it in action.

1. Sonic the Hedgehog as a playable character: I was one of the many who woke up on Wednesday, October 10th, 2007 expecting another ho-hum day with another rather insignificant update. The Dojo had been pretty quiet and nothing earth-shattering had been announced in a good long while.

Imagine my surprise when I opened up the dojo site that morning and found Sonic the Hedgehog staring me back in the face.

This is easily one of the characters I am most excited about, and while I never doubted his potential to be a smash brother, it was still an amazingly awesome surprise to see him confirmed. And the "Sonic Joins the Brawl!" movie made me weep for joy. Lucario came in a close second here. I cannot wait to fight with Mario and Sonic on the same team.

SimaMatt

Smash Journeyman
The Soundtrack, which not only has quantity, but quality as well. And Also, even if I'm not the creative type, the stage builder is a wonderful idea :3!

Top Bottom