• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top Players & Videos by Character

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinw0w

Smash Journeyman
I really don't want to be rude but sparkingzero isn't as impressive as he is said to be (Yes, I've played him and I double eliminated him if you're wondering). I don't think his ike is better than either of the 3 currently on the list. He's good but not that good.
I agree, but I haven't seen strong bad play Ike in quite a while, so I just asked.

Bryonato

Green Hat
Few things:
How exactly do you (@ KayB KayB ) determine the "top 3" players? I see things switched a lot with no real explanation as to why. Not trying to call you out, just want clarification.

Also I think the Ness top 3 could use some work. Awestin is obviously #1 but I'd like to see some more discussion for 2 and 3. Eli's Ness is amazing but iirc he's only played it in tournament once or twice and if this thread is about "seeing how top players are using the character" I feel like it's more fair to use players that have more than one example and actually main/secondary the character. IMO The NZA and Tetraflora should be in contention for top 3.
No offense to you at all GMaster (I love your ness pls don't hate me) but IMO @The_NZA should be #3. He regularly gets top 8 placings at Smashing Grounds and I believe was also top 8 at NSA2?

@Tetraflora for those who don't know him is by far the best Ness on Netplay. I know netplay doesn't hold a lot of contention here but IMO it's really worth looking him up and looking at what he does.

Oh and I think this goes without saying but I'm coming for that #3. I'll be on this list within a few months.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Few things:
How exactly do you (@ KayB KayB ) determine the "top 3" players? I see things switched a lot with no real explanation as to why. Not trying to call you out, just want clarification.

Also I think the Ness top 3 could use some work. Awestin is obviously #1 but I'd like to see some more discussion for 2 and 3. Eli's Ness is amazing but iirc he's only played it in tournament once or twice and if this thread is about "seeing how top players are using the character" I feel like it's more fair to use players that have more than one example and actually main/secondary the character. IMO The NZA and Tetraflora should be in contention for top 3.
No offense to you at all GMaster (I love your ness pls don't hate me) but IMO @The_NZA should be #3. He regularly gets top 8 placings at Smashing Grounds and I believe was also top 8 at NSA2?

@Tetraflora for those who don't know him is by far the best Ness on Netplay. I know netplay doesn't hold a lot of contention here but IMO it's really worth looking him up and looking at what he does.

Oh and I think this goes without saying but I'm coming for that #3. I'll be on this list within a few months.
Sure.
First off, concerning Ness, the only real reason that list hasn't changed is that no one has really bothered trying to challenge it until now. It's good to see it finally picking up momentum (and like I said, I'll be doing updates later this week).

Concerning how the top 3 is actually chosen, I want to start off that these lists aren't official PR and thus shouldn't be treated as such. There will be errors and mistakes since these lists are not as elaborately made.
Moving on, the top 3 players are generally and roughly determined by a few things. First and foremost are results, and preferably at a national or international level. Playing regionals and locals are fine and all, but they generally hold less weight simply because you're playing against the same people over and over again. Naturally you'll do better against a specific player in your region than in another. Consistency also plays a large part. Another is recognition. This holds more influence if there's space on the list. If a well-acknowledged player recommends another, that person will be considered for the list, and in the case where there's really no one else on the list, that person is put on. Players can also be removed from the list if they ask/request (ex. SinisterB). If someone calls out an error and gives a reasonably reason why the list is wrong (in a calm/understandable way) and is mutually agreed, then that change will also be made. I feel like this isn't emphasized enough since people are really quick to jab at me without really explaining why. Finally, its accomplishments, or to be more specific beating another very good player. This obviously doesn't hold as much weight as tournament results because ultimately you're just winning one match up, but regardless beating a good player is very difficult and is a good demonstration of a player's skill. When two players come in competition for a spot and they are roughly the same level, generally the more active player will gain that position, as the point of this list is to point players at ones to look out for.

If anyone has any criticisms or suggestions, feel free. But please do it calmly and rationally. Also know that during the weekdays I'm generally busy so don't expect me to do anything too insane for this list on a daily basis.

Good luck on that #3 spot!

Last edited:

Nazo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nazoplex
My most recent placings are pretty mediocre and MapMark has been inactive as of recent due to school.

Last edited:

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
He placed really well in some tournaments and beat many notable AZ players.
I watched those videos and he got some good matchups that he knew and his opponents didn't. Forward especially, he had no idea how to fight a Sonic, poor sap. I'm suddenly very aware that if this is the mark I have to hit, then I do not have very far to go - just need an impressive tournament to show up at and get my nerves under control.

Still, I like his patience when dealing with opponents who are knocked down, and he knows what to do with an offstage spacie. It's something for Sonic's to study, although his followup game is atrocious compared to the things I've seen you and Darky do in the past. The video archive of everyone is enough for people to learn, so I guess it's not all bad.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
I watched those videos and he got some good matchups that he knew and his opponents didn't. Forward especially, he had no idea how to fight a Sonic, poor sap. I'm suddenly very aware that if this is the mark I have to hit, then I do not have very far to go - just need an impressive tournament to show up at and get my nerves under control.
I'm not surprised since you're a very good Sonic main yourself.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
I'm passable. I have a lot to go in regard to tech skill and not flubbing my execution, as well as performing well under pressure, but I'm aware my followups and general ability to make a hit confirm count are better than most. But that said I don't think I myself outplace Aion, who seems to have his nerves under control. I am saying that, for the most part, Nazo and Map Mark are still better, despite a lull from one and a possibly temporary depression in performance in the other.

D

Deleted member

Woah is that THE meechman400!?!

WHERE IS SMUGGIES?!? WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAH

bec

my tag is all lowercase
3DS FC
3454-1035-4185
lunchables for best tink
not the player, the childrens food
(kappa)

D

Deleted member

Strong Bad plays more wario than DK, but his DK is still better than like 99% dks. He didn't drop him entirely either, if I know sb he probably still plays DK for some mus like marth and roy

SoulPech

Smash Master
If we need a 3rd spot for Jiggs, I don't mind taking that role. I don't know anyone else tha treally uses her besides HBox. at Shuffle, Ripple and I went to game 3, last stock/last hit. I did take a game off of his DDD (which he switched to DK) if that can backup some of my credibility. Other than that, I've just been placing well in my local area and I've taken off games w/in my state as well. I have also came close to beating anther as well, but we haven't played recently (like 8 months?)

Last edited:

PandaPanda Senketsu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5241-2412-1689
Hello, @ KayB KayB . If you want more Mr. Brandandorf footage, I'd be glad to contribute. We actually had a pretty cool set @ the last SSS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Or33bWCXql8
holy **** i didn't think brandondorf was top 3 material, boy was i wrong lol. He makes Ganondorf look ****ing good, I haven't seen anyone play like that yet.

And yea Lunchables is definitely better than Aero, and that's coming from someone who is West Coast.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I played DK for 2 games at SKTAR, and they were both against POOB in our MM. I won 2-0 ;)

POOB

Smash Journeyman
I played DK for 2 games at SKTAR, and they were both against POOB in our MM. I won 2-0 ;)
Fact, you are still great with DK. Also dittos arent enough evidence to prove youre a good DK. Placing well going all DK in a tournament, like the top 3 DK'S in this thread have done, is more impressive than beating one of them in a ditto. Oracle if u wanna get on the list and replace me, go only DK for a tournament. I'm curious to see how you would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom