• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top Players & Videos by Character

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
I was simply countering your point-- top 9 at locals isn't a significant statistic to warrant being considered top 3 in the world. Top 9 at locals doesn't compare to top 3 or top 5 at locals, which doesn't really compare to top 9 at a national.
I wanna add to this. It's actually really important to compete against players from different regions. If you look at weeklies from different regions for instance, you often get different concentrations of characters at the top. Smashing Grounds, Xanadu, and Wavedash Wednesdays for instance have unique characters (and unique concentrations of characters) in their top 8. Each region has different concentrations of high level players playing different characters, so more than anything, performance at locals does need to be taken with a huge grain of salt when using that as evidence for being top in the world.

For instance, I went to Polybash at Montreal a while ago, and got 7th with Ganondorf fairly easily (all sets that I won, I won 2-0), and I was winning the vast majority of friendlies. However, at Smashing Grounds, I struggle to get top 10 and lose lots of friendlies. That's because at Montreal, I was mainly fighting characters that aren't crapshoots as Ganondorf: Mario, Kirby, Charizard, Wolf, Lucas, Roy, Snake, and a few others I'm forgetting. Yet at Smashing Grounds, there's tons of good Zeldas and Links, with a strong Ness and ZSS. These match ups are really annoying as Ganon.

If I actually had a Link that was on par with the average skill level of Link players here in New England, I definitely would've gotten 5th at polybash - I would've counterpicked Ivysaur (who knocked me out of losers') with Link and won, seeing as how my cousin (a strong Link player) bodied him and sent him to losers. It goes to show how important character selection can be.

There's so many viable characters and not every region has top level people playing each character. That's why regionals and nationals are so important - you have a much better representation of different characters being played by high level people. While I'm also totally with The NZA on the Wolf hype train, that's why I'm not actually trying to pass, as fact, that Wolf is a top 3 Link based on how well he is doing here at Smashing Grounds, even if he is facing KDJ and M2K.

Last edited:

Oro?!

Smash Hero
Region location definitely makes a huge difference too. Top 3 at a local in a stacked place like Texas, Socal, Chicago, MD/VA is different than getting top 3 in Utah. (Sorry anyone from Utah)

Last edited:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hylian, I got respect for you. I think you are a really good player. You've played other good players and that's great--they vouch for your skill. I was simply countering your point-- top 9 at locals isn't a significant statistic to warrant being considered top 3 in the world. Top 9 at locals doesn't compare to top 3 or top 5 at locals, which doesn't really compare to top 9 at a national. Otherwise, I'm in complete agreement with you. If you placed in top 3 more often at the locals you do attend or do well at nationals, I can see why you belong on this list. But there are people fighting for recognition of their skill--people like Nick Riddle, Aero, etc.

With that said, I don't think you should be worried about losing the chance to teach players your style of link. You have a large fan base that likes your way of playing the character more than any other. Otherwise, your other option is to go to more tournaments and prove your style of play legitimately is a top 3 style in the world.
I place top 5 in every local I go to except the last one which I hosted >_>. I said the lowest I have *ever* placed was 9th, not that I normally place it. I generally lose to Strong Bad, Metroid, or Darkatma(best melee player in the midwest) and have traded sets with a couple of other players but overall I have a positive win record vs everyone else and almost always have very close tournament games with the people I lose to, which are recorded. When I travel(which isn't often but more often than any other Link player, I think I'm the only actual Link players to travel more than 5 hours out of their state aside from the chicago links just making the MD/VA trip and from Apex which no Link player did amazing in) I tend to do well and then lose to someone in my region like SB or atma in losers because they also do well. I do attend tournaments and I do place well(one every two months or so and 95% of the time I place top 5) I just don't attend frequently because tournaments don't get hosted here frequently and I have a busy life. I also don't think you can just look at tournament results to determine the best unless it's very obvious as then you have to compare the relative skill level of every person the players are beating and losing to and that tends to be very subjective. This is why it's good to watch how players perform against the same opponent but that happens rarely.

Players don't need this thread to earn recognition. I got it long before this thread existed, and so did the other top players of the characters.

Edit: Also just to be clear, I don't think I am the best Link atm lol.

Last edited:

Oracle

Smash Master
i'm pretty sure 100% of gallos posts on these boards are trash talk. i've only ever seen him speak whenever words get thrown around

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It's definitely Dan (IE) without doubt. There are very few areas in Link's gameplay, that I see other players as legitimately better or more experienced in than IE. I think Hylian shows off more Bomb tricks and uses, but besides that IE looked pretty far ahead of everyone when it came to other areas. The man actually breathes the essence of Link, not just a Link Main Poser Projectile Loser Boomerang connoisseur afficionado lover tactician thrower.

Last edited:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It's definitely Dan (IE) without doubt. There are very few areas in Link's gameplay, that I see other players as legitimately better or more experienced in than IE. I think Hylian shows off more Bomb tricks and uses, but besides that IE looked pretty far ahead of everyone when it came to other areas. The man actually breathes the essence of Link, not just a Link Main Poser Projectile Loser Boomerang connoisseur afficionado lover tactician thrower.
I think IE has some stuff he could work on, most notably his recovery is pretty sub-par compared to the recovery Link is capable of but overall he just makes the best choices in neutral compared to other Link players and in the end that is what gets people the wins.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Lol DMG. <3 <3 <3

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I think IE has some stuff he could work on, most notably his recovery is pretty sub-par compared to the recovery Link is capable of but overall he just makes the best choices in neutral compared to other Link players and in the end that is what gets people the wins.
I'd still put my money on Wolf over IE, but the Apex results speak for themselves.

BTW, we had 51 entrants at Smashing Grounds yesterday and M2K came in 1st, Wolf came in 2nd, and CT|Zero came in 3rd.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
IE is *the* reason you see those M2K posts about Link being OP. Ever wondered why he thinks that? He plays IE a lot

The_NZA

Smash Lord
But M2K whooped on Wolf, meanwhile IE can actually take games off M2K with P:M Link.
I mean, Wolf beat M2k's Fox in friendlies. He just couldn't handle that Mario.

*shrugs*

There's evidence to prove Wolf is just as capable. But like I said, current results speak for themselves.

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
Region location definitely makes a huge difference too. Top 3 at a local in a stacked place like Texas, Socal, Chicago, MD/VA is different than getting top 3 in Utah. (Sorry anyone from Utah)
Not to mention a number of other places like AZ too. High skill, knowledge concentration areas. Not to mention, socal/az can and do attend each others tourneys pretty often. Same scenario with NY/MD/VA

Last edited:

The_NZA

Smash Lord
MA will be the biggest scene. You have no idea what my amateurish TO powers are capable of.

WITH MINE AND MATTDOTZEB's POWERS COMBINED! WE ARE CAPTAIN SMASHET

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Can't check it myself now, but hasn't CT uploaded the Collision vids yet? Darky made it to grand finals vs M2K and lost to shine, but swept through all the others there.

Zerudahime

Smash Apprentice
yup, darky is definitely top sonic for sure for 3.02.
he was top sonic in 2.6 even imo.
its funny that people ignore playerbase until they actually do something then people say :o!
research ppl!!! <3

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
yes

doing things in offline tournament puts you on the map, not on wifi/friendlies

this is fairly intuitive

Zerudahime

Smash Apprentice
Its called making observations and being in touch with the community as a whole.
NOT select individuals.

Last edited:

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Just want to put my name in for Diddy Kong, I think my placings definitely warrant it. For example I got 5th/40 this week at a stacked Chicago local. I've beaten quite a few people on this list, notably Rat whom I've taken at least 3 sets from in the past few months. I'm sure there are at least a few people in this thread right now that could vouch for my fruit flinging prowess.

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
But M2K whooped on Wolf, meanwhile IE can actually take games off M2K with P:M Link.
To be fair, I played Link in only 1 match, after that I just didn't care and chose secondaries, I shouldn't have played friendlies with M2K earlier lol, I took his Mewtwo to last stock with Link, beat his Fox, then he picked Mario and chaingrabbed the crap out me and saw it was free, it's not like I haven't taken games off him before, but I honestly don't care much if I'm on this list or not anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom