• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top 5 Mega Man players

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Is this the "Top-5 Megaman players" thread? Or the "Top Megaman players I've seen on VGBootcamp and other typical well video publishers that I look at because I don't know anything else outside the mainstream" thread?
That is why I think it is unfair to go on a list based on viewing content alone. Results from big tournament (lie national/monthly level, the region's competitive strength and consistency with usage.

NinjaLink, Zucco and Greward were the only three Mega Man players to make it out of first round bracket pools at Apex. While we are familiar with NinjaLink and Zucco, Greward is hardly mentioned and I had the privileged of housing him for Apex this year. Seeing what he can do and the knowledge he has of this game, I consider him a for sure top Mega Man. (Plus I learned that this guy loves to money match)

I just cannot really make a for sure list until I see more from others. Plus it would be selfish of me to claim that I am better than another Mega Man player just because I have a lot of tournament content and the other player does not so I will never endorse myself unless proven otherwise.

Last edited:

Kronos2560

Smash Apprentice
That is why I think it is unfair to go on a list based on viewing content alone. Results from big tournament (lie national/monthly level, the region's competitive strength and consistency with usage.

NinjaLink, Zucco and Greward were the only three Mega Man players to make it out of first round bracket pools at Apex. While we are familiar with NinjaLink and Zucco, Greward is hardly mentioned and I had the privileged of housing him for Apex this year. Seeing what he can do and the knowledge he has of this game, I consider him a for sure top Mega Man. (Plus I learned that this guy loves to money match)

I just cannot really make a for sure list until I see more from others. Plus it would be selfish of me to claim that I am better than another Mega Man player just because I have a lot of tournament content and the other player does not so I will never endorse myself unless proven otherwise.
I have a crapload of tournament content, and I wouldn't even want to consider myself on there until we start seeing some larger-scale tournaments.

demonickirby

Smash Rookie
Is this the "Top-5 Megaman players" thread? Or the "Top Megaman players I've seen on VGBootcamp and other typical well video publishers that I look at because I don't know anything else outside the mainstream" thread?
You sound extremely pretentious. This is not an all defining list. People are simply being asked who they think the best MM players are. They can only give names they know about.

Kronos2560

Smash Apprentice
You sound extremely pretentious. This is not an all defining list. People are simply being asked who they think the best MM players are. They can only give names they know about.
Call me what you will. I'm just saying it is too early to start throwing out names when the amount of exposure of Megaman players is too low to start making such a list. Tbh, it's all for fun anyway, so it doesn't really matter so much anyway.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Lmao. I Must have remembered incorrectly I guess.
On to the more puzzling part of what you said though; how the world do you not find :4rob: a hard matchup? Do you just not find anyone as a hard matchup?
Can you explain why its a difficult matchup?

demonickirby

Smash Rookie
Can you explain why its a difficult matchup?
Well for starters ROB is just a god character over all. ROB forces you to approach him because he outranges megaman with gyro and lasers. Then if he get gets a grab on you he can HOO HA. Plus he is heavy with good recovery so it can be difficult to kill.
How do you not have problems when he outranges megaman?

RamenKing1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Samakoph
3DS FC
0688-5616-9231
Well for starters ROB is just a god character over all. ROB forces you to approach him because he outranges megaman with gyro and lasers. Then if he get gets a grab on you he can HOO HA. Plus he is heavy with good recovery so it can be difficult to kill.
How do you not have problems when he outranges megaman?
Not to mention his kill grab kills MegaMan very early depending on the stage as well. I find ROB fairly challening myself, because he out camps MegaMan. One bad metal blade = a laser shot to the face or punish most likely.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I dont even see grabs as an issue being I rarely get grabbed especially but slower characters. Mega Man can bully characters with lacking mobility. Take ROBs gyro and hes just left with laser lol. Edgeguarding isnt hard as him going level with the stage = a bair, under the stage is him taking leaf shield/plant barrier making him lose all his fuel and above with him taking uair. ROBs biggest weakness is hes a sitting duck when above anybody. Harass him. He is also pretty big. I would just pellet him in the face and make him upset while holding his gyro then bait a side-b for a punish. Even if it does hit me, I smash DI out of it and punish anyway. ROB may be 'heavy' but he floaty making him die from uair moreso.

As for metal blade, you should be doing it from the air diagonally as laser wouldnt hit you in the air anyway. Uncharged lasers I dont see much of a problem.

RamenKing1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Samakoph
3DS FC
0688-5616-9231
I dont even see grabs as an issue being I rarely get grabbed especially but slower characters. Mega Man can bully characters with lacking mobility. Take ROBs gyro and hes just left with laser lol. Edgeguarding isnt hard as him going level with the stage = a bair, under the stage is him taking leaf shield/plant barrier making him lose all his fuel and above with him taking uair. ROBs biggest weakness is hes a sitting duck when above anybody. Harass him. He is also pretty big. I would just pellet him in the face and make him upset while holding his gyro then bait a side-b for a punish. Even if it does hit me, I smash DI out of it and punish anyway. ROB may be 'heavy' but he floaty making him die from uair moreso.

As for metal blade, you should be doing it from the air diagonally as laser wouldnt hit you in the air anyway. Uncharged lasers I dont see much of a problem.
Thanks for the advice, @ NinjaLink NinjaLink . I was against a ROB the other day and was kind of lacking in MU experience. I kept trying to grab the gyro, directly from the ground, but I kept getting either too close or too far to pick it up. I didn't want to risk airdodge grabbing it, since it was during a tournament as well. I have a long way to go, looks like.

Edit: At the moment Events2Compete (Chicago local) is also not using customs, but is plant barrier better than leaf shield for future reference? I haven't explored customs much.

Last edited:

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
i feel like plant barrier is more useful due to its hitbox being wider and the petals not going away. Disadvantage is it takes some extra frames to activate and when you throw it it goes farther. Leaf shield hits more rapidly but less hitstun. Plant Barrier has enough hitstun to footstool a grounded opponent at 0%.

Blue24

Smash Cadet
Daiki placed at Chokaigi which had some of the best players around the world. Not saying hes the best, but definitly a *** player to look out for.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
ROB has a better Camping Game than Mega Man, and he also has better Kill Options than us - espeically out of throws.
Him being over us doesn't automaticly make him a sitting duck.
Holding the Gyro can be nice sometimes, but a smart ROB normally has counter-tactics against this.
We're better at pellet-range, but he's better outside of that range.

Thank god his Uthrow doesn't kill us at 120% anylonger. That alone makes it easier for Megs.

Doctor_Panduck

Smash Rookie
NNID
quickpoison
has no one at all mentioned scAtt? He is an amazing megaman player from Georgia (I personally think he's the best mega man player) I think zucco and styles are meh. they can do cool stuff, but at the end of the day, they're both too aggressive.

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
I'd say Zucco, ScAtt, and NinjaLink do their best.

StylesX2 only has 3DS launch hype when people were doubting the leaf shield and questioning just how good Mega Man can play in the first place. He's not as amazing as everyone hyped him up to be, but not terrible either. He's decent. :)

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
May i ask how does one achieves the status of top Megaman player?

Is there a thread to see tournament placements from all countries? I know we have a thread for tournament results but it has been a while since anyone posts anything, and we don't have any info about japanese players there either, and from major events all i can think of is Ninjalink at apex and Scatt at CEO.
Also didn't Greward placed constantly high as well in his region? I mean, i know he said he doesn't play solo Mega anymore, but with his previous results, wouldn't that make him top as well?

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
So tough to tell until we have many mega men that are placing at large tournaments.

I think top are:

Ninjalink
Zucco

And then I feel there are a lot of people who could be in there but it is too hard to tell.

Greward, scatt, stylesx2, Kronos,

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
So tough to tell until we have many mega men that are placing at large tournaments.

I think top are:

Ninjalink
Zucco

And then I feel there are a lot of people who could be in there but it is too hard to tell.

Greward, scatt, stylesx2, Kronos,
I can see Greward, Scatt, and Kronos, but why Stylesx2?

He is good, but i don't think he is top level yet.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Styles doesnt consider himself good but everyone pressures him to think hes good. He doesnt like the pressure.

HaremofScorpions

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1564-4315-4375
I wouldn't say he is a top Mega Man or anything but Beatfox is pretty exceptional.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think it's hard to pick a top five. But for me, I've always valued the sheer dedication and improvement of Ninjalink and ScAtt. Especially, ScAtt, as of late.

Unclesatan

Smash Apprentice
Hard to call Zucco a top megaman player when his only results were in the first 6 months of the game's life and i'm 90% sure that if he does go to tournaments (very rare occasion), he's playing characters other than megaman. I think last i heard he picked up shiek..?? can anyone confirm?

In my honest opinion I'd call scatt, greward and ninjalink the top 3 megamans currently.

also it always blew my mind watching beatfox play. first leaf shield he uses, he lands an infinite. wtf. wish he went to tournaments more often

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Hard to call Zucco a top megaman player when his only results were in the first 6 months of the game's life and i'm 90% sure that if he does go to tournaments (very rare occasion), he's playing characters other than megaman. I think last i heard he picked up shiek..?? can anyone confirm?

In my honest opinion I'd call scatt, greward and ninjalink the top 3 megamans currently.

also it always blew my mind watching beatfox play. first leaf shield he uses, he lands an infinite. wtf. wish he went to tournaments more often
Does he has any tournament placings at all?

HaremofScorpions

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1564-4315-4375
Unfortunately he doesn't seem to have the funding to go to major tournaments, I think Zucco might have the same problem.

Piipp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZebraJammiez
3DS FC
2681-1864-8125
I like how nobody mentioned Scatt lmao

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
despite the lack of attendance, my top 5 is scatt, ninjalink, greward, 4th idk, zucco

Piipp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZebraJammiez
3DS FC
2681-1864-8125
Mine is Scatt, Ninjalink, Zucco, Styles, Greward

Top Bottom