• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top 5 Mega Man players

Greward

Smash Lord
Japan has tons of awesome Mega Mans, but I can't really say names since most of them are *** lol.
In USA, the best are Ninjalink and Zucco imo

Grass

Smash Lord
Japan has tons of awesome Mega Mans, but I can't really say names since most of them are *** lol.
In USA, the best are Ninjalink and Zucco imo
idk, I think styles has Ninjalink beat.

Styles' Mega man is fairly consistant. I honestly haven't seen ninjalink's mega man, but it would be nice to see a comparison of their styles.

Last edited:

Greward

Smash Lord
Who's that guy? Any recent video tournament footage so I can see if he's good?
I have only found old random 3ds footage of him, so can't really tell.

There are plenty of NinjaLink tournament matches on youtube, a quick search will find you some.

Lebrawlski

Smash Rookie
When I first was looking for videos on the best Mega Man, I kept hearing Styles was the best. I couldn't ever find him because his name was such a common word. I ran across Zucco's and Ninjalink's videos and was blown away. I finally stumbled upon a video of Styles in Chopper Dave's Leaf Shield guide, dug around a bit, and checked out more of Styles's videos. Its easier to find it if you look for "StylesX2". I felt like the videos I found were a bit of a let down after seeing Zucco and Ninjalink. I think a lot of Styles's hype comes Shofu, and his videos irritate me. Having said that, I haven't seen any of Styles's videos in quite a while. Got any links?

Last edited:

Grass

Smash Lord
Who's that guy? Any recent video tournament footage so I can see if he's good?
I have only found old random 3ds footage of him, so can't really tell.

There are plenty of NinjaLink tournament matches on youtube, a quick search will find you some.
StylesX2 has been playing mega man since he got the Japanese 3DS. and footage is all over his channel on youtube.

as for recent wii u footage, I'm fairly sure I posted it a page or 2 ago.

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
StylesX2 has been playing mega man since he got the Japanese 3DS. and footage is all over his channel on youtube.

as for recent wii u footage, I'm fairly sure I posted it a page or 2 ago.
Those "Megaman shenanigans" were more "for the lolz" i think.

I don't watch his stream but i am subscribed to him, he really hasn't uploaded any tournament matches yet.

I did saw this videos of a money match he had with some other youtuber, but this definitely show that, yes, he is good, but not anywhere near the same level as Zucco or Ninjalink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BwH9gEaJYY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yKSipYFuLw

Just trying to make a point here, Styles seems better than your average Megaman but i wouldn't say he is "top 5".

Last edited:

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Styles falls into the same category as myself. We have a lot of high level content but to really say that either of us are elite is just not the truth.

Blue24

Smash Cadet
idk, I think styles has Ninjalink beat.

Styles' Mega man is fairly consistant. I honestly haven't seen ninjalink's mega man, but it would be nice to see a comparison of their styles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H1AveMj6xE

If Ninjalink won against that crazy Pac-Man, who is considered to be 1 of the 2 best Pacman players in the world, the chances of Ninjalink placing 3rd at Apex was pretty decent. This is my opinion based on the videos I have seen of Ninjalink when playing the other non-Japan top 16 Apex players.

Styles has lost to Shofu in serious matches. There are youtube videos of where Shofu has entered tourneys. He does okay but tends to get knocked out fairly quickly and usually isn't in the winning brackets. Shofu has also played Zero. In his matches against Zero, he never had control at any point of the match, and I believe he never took a stock. So if I had to use Shofu as a measuring stick, it would be REALLY hard to argue that Styles could place in the top 16 at Apex; an event that consisted of 100s upon 100s of players. But you can make the argument for Ninjalink...because he has placed in the top 16.

On other notes, Styles does stream quite a bit. His stream was listed on the front page of smash boards last night and I watched a few minutes. He was playing with some girl that sounds British and was testing customs. So he is putting himself out there, just somewhat quietly.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I do wonder about the Japanese Mega Mans. I remember Daiki being big on 3ds and placing well in tournaments over seas. I don't keep up with the Japanese scene much, but they seem to be way ahead of the Americans in terms of tech usage (see aMSa's Greninja and 9B's Shulk).

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
ive seen this megaman japanese player who has crazy.amazing tech with metalblade. i'll try to find a video, but ths guy was everywhere with metalblade

demonickirby

Smash Rookie
I'm biased as a hardcore styles fan but id say he is easily 3rd in the world. I watch all of his streams, as well as played him myself and he is very good. I also asked him previously how he ranks himself towards the other megamains. He said he's up there but is not sure where he lands. He has however beaten ninjalink (though did not say their record) and said that zucco has asked to play him but they never have.

Greward

Smash Lord
Unless you can prove your worth in tournaments then you are a nobody. Styles should have some real tournament results if he's to be aknowledged.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
I'm biased as a hardcore styles fan but id say he is easily 3rd in the world. I watch all of his streams, as well as played him myself and he is very good. I also asked him previously how he ranks himself towards the other megamains. He said he's up there but is not sure where he lands. He has however beaten ninjalink (though did not say their record) and said that zucco has asked to play him but they never have.
do you have a twitch time stamp of his play, like his setups and his knoweldge of match ups. i know its asking for a bit, but it kinda sucks how we dont have much gameplay from styles at tournament

demonickirby

Smash Rookie
do you have a twitch time stamp of his play, like his setups and his knoweldge of match ups. i know its asking for a bit, but it kinda sucks how we dont have much gameplay from styles at tournament
My apologies but I do not

demonickirby

Smash Rookie
Unless you can prove your worth in tournaments then you are a nobody. Styles should have some real tournament results if he's to be aknowledged.
He hopes to attend evo. I suggest watching his stream if you doubt him. He's really good and a super cool guy

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
During the earlier times of the game I was quickly grasping that Mega Man was good, why he was good, and was watching what few videos of MM were out there. Very often there's be a video, people be like "Whoa, MM can do that??", and I'd just be like "Yes, yes, but this player's not quite there". Not to say I was amazing, but I definitely have an eye for who's using what tactics, how they're using it, and their potential. A lot of videos I concluded with "He's good, but he could be doing more of this/more of that..."

Zucco was the first MM main I watched I could genuinely say "This is how you use Mega Man! FINALLY!" He wasn't just familiar with the tech. He confidently applied as much of it as possible in matches. There was very little to criticize. Just very solid, competent Mega Man play.

So currently I see Zucco as top MM, though I admit it's been a while since I've seen him in action. But I have seen Ninjalink and, while definitely good, I think is a bit less solid. Same with Badada. He did quite well to get MM into Top 16 @ Apex, and he'll get stronger over time if he keeps working at it.

Grass

Smash Lord
During the earlier times of the game I was quickly grasping that Mega Man was good, why he was good, and was watching what few videos of MM were out there. Very often there's be a video, people be like "Whoa, MM can do that??", and I'd just be like "Yes, yes, but this player's not quite there". Not to say I was amazing, but I definitely have an eye for who's using what tactics, how they're using it, and their potential. A lot of videos I concluded with "He's good, but he could be doing more of this/more of that..."

Zucco was the first MM main I watched I could genuinely say "This is how you use Mega Man! FINALLY!" He wasn't just familiar with the tech. He confidently applied as much of it as possible in matches. There was very little to criticize. Just very solid, competent Mega Man play.

So currently I see Zucco as top MM, though I admit it's been a while since I've seen him in action. But I have seen Ninjalink and, while definitely good, I think is a bit less solid. Same with Badada. He did quite well to get MM into Top 16 @ Apex, and he'll get stronger over time if he keeps working at it.
Yo, the guy beat ****ing mew2king. I don't think there's much to say about it at that point. lol

I mean when you beat m2K at smash, you got something to brag about. Even if M2K isn't particularly good at smash 4, it's still like a trophy.

demonickirby

Smash Rookie
Styles falls into the same category as myself. We have a lot of high level content but to really say that either of us are elite is just not the truth.
I'd say both of you are top 5. I dont think either of you stand with the top two, but their really arent 5 zucco's. I think styles has problems with consistently playing to get better, along with entering tournies. I just watched about 6 of your games after seeing that someone put you in top 5. I can see it but I feel you dont use all of megaman. You're the 2nd best lemon thrower IMO and youre very patient, but you dont "go for it." Like I dont see you throw smashes too much, nor flame sword. Zucco uses flame sword quite a lot, and while you dont want to be throwing smashes 24/7, I think you definitely dont use them enough. I think this would be the root of your problem with heavy characters. Heavy characters have large problems against lemons. Meaning you should be able to destroy them right? Well as you have said before, you actually have problems facing them. This is because can rack up damage probably the best of the top 5, but you don't kill. You just need to adjust your game so its not quite as safe. The nice thing about megaman is how heavy he is, so even when you are punished, depending on the match up and %, you have a solid chance at living anyways.
Just my opinion.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I'd say both of you are top 5. I dont think either of you stand with the top two, but their really arent 5 zucco's. I think styles has problems with consistently playing to get better, along with entering tournies. I just watched about 6 of your games after seeing that someone put you in top 5. I can see it but I feel you dont use all of megaman. You're the 2nd best lemon thrower IMO and youre very patient, but you dont "go for it." Like I dont see you throw smashes too much, nor flame sword. Zucco uses flame sword quite a lot, and while you dont want to be throwing smashes 24/7, I think you definitely dont use them enough. I think this would be the root of your problem with heavy characters. Heavy characters have large problems against lemons. Meaning you should be able to destroy them right? Well as you have said before, you actually have problems facing them. This is because can rack up damage probably the best of the top 5, but you don't kill. You just need to adjust your game so its not quite as safe. The nice thing about megaman is how heavy he is, so even when you are punished, depending on the match up and %, you have a solid chance at living anyways.
Just my opinion.
I completely agree. I am told many times that I am phenomenal at the micro of the game but not at the macro, which is getting the kill and finishing sets. I have recently come back from a hiatus so we shall see where I am after this weekend. I appreciate the update and will most likely have more videos to critique and ask questions on.

Grass

Smash Lord
I completely agree. I am told many times that I am phenomenal at the micro of the game but not at the macro, which is getting the kill and finishing sets. I have recently come back from a hiatus so we shall see where I am after this weekend. I appreciate the update and will most likely have more videos to critique and ask questions on.
The terms you're using are completely out of context and thus mean nothing in this context.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
The terms you're using are completely out of context and thus mean nothing in this context.
i'm not sure what youre talking about, grass i understood ssguy clearly.

btw, ss guy congratz on placing high at TLoC this fri. your lemons inspired me to change the way i use lemons, and im getting great results.

have you tried out any custom move sets you're comfortable with in tourny? like shadow blade or hyperbomb

Grass

Smash Lord
i'm not sure what youre talking about, grass i understood ssguy clearly.

btw, ss guy congratz on placing high at TLoC this fri. your lemons inspired me to change the way i use lemons, and im getting great results.

have you tried out any custom move sets you're comfortable with in tourny? like shadow blade or hyperbomb
that's great playback but those of us who can read English, this means nothing to us.

and @ SSGuy SSGuy do us a favor and explain yourself for those of us who don't understand what you mean.

Last edited:

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
that's great playback but those of us who can read English, this means nothing to us.

and @ SSGuy SSGuy do us a favor and explain yourself for those of us who don't understand what you mean.
...Or how about those of us who can figure it out on our own help him clarify his statement, perhaps replacing "micro/macro" with "minor/major".

Either way he made it pretty clear when he said he has difficulty with KO setups and creating opportunities, meaning the other part of game he likely is good at is spacing, defense, pokes, etc. I know how that is. The battle's all good and stuff until it's time to land the KO. Then it's like those opportunities refuse to show up and the opponent's damage keeps climbing and climbing without an actual pay-off.

I find in those situations the best thing to do is to just stop thinking about KOs and go back to trading hits and just letting the KO opportunities naturally appear. Sometimes one's damage game and KO game is vastly different, and a player simply performs much more efficiently in one area than the other.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
...Or how about those of us who can figure it out on our own help him clarify his statement, perhaps replacing "micro/macro" with "minor/major".

Either way he made it pretty clear when he said he has difficulty with KO setups and creating opportunities, meaning the other part of game he likely is good at is spacing, defense, pokes, etc. I know how that is. The battle's all good and stuff until it's time to land the KO. Then it's like those opportunities refuse to show up and the opponent's damage keeps climbing and climbing without an actual pay-off.

I find in those situations the best thing to do is to just stop thinking about KOs and go back to trading hits and just letting the KO opportunities naturally appear. Sometimes one's damage game and KO game is vastly different, and a player simply performs much more efficiently in one area than the other.
i feel the best way to setup a kill move with megaman is to send your opponent in the air, and bair them. megaman's bair game is very good, but im too unfamiliar with this setup at tourny play, cuz so much powershielding and ppl fiending you on your end lag moves

Last edited:

demonickirby

Smash Rookie
Watching one of your matches, not sure what tourney, but it was with customs against Gyo. Unfortunately customs are not the norm, so how do you fight :4rob: when you don't have skull barrier? I seem to have troubles in this department simply because his projectiles are more effective in this matchup

Grass

Smash Lord
That wasn't hostile, but saying " but those of us who can read English" can come off as condescending.
Responding with condescending comments with other condescending comments doesn't help the situation.

tl;dr 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Fine fine, but next time just stick with "I didn't understand what he said". There are plenty of folk on this site who's 1st language isn't English, so possibly calling somebody out on something they can't help, intentional or not, doesn't promote healthy discussion.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
Watching one of your matches, not sure what tourney, but it was with customs against Gyo. Unfortunately customs are not the norm, so how do you fight :4rob: when you don't have skull barrier? I seem to have troubles in this department simply because his projectiles are more effective in this matchup
In all honesty, :4rob: without Skull Barrier is a pretty steep hill to climb. You need to play a little more aggressive and avoid hitting his shield and allowing him the opportunity to get the grab. Playing the range game is really hard because :4rob: is incredibly disruptive and there is not much you can do in Mega Man's normal play style to counter it.

I am most likely going to try :4wario: out for :4rob: next time we play. I did the same for CalmAnimal's :4bowser: and he couldn't keep up.

Also to clarify, the micro game mentioned is the small incremental damage while the macro is the big picture and sealing the kills. Sorry for the lack of clarification.

Last edited:

demonickirby

Smash Rookie
In all honesty, :4rob: without Skull Barrier is a pretty steep hill to climb. You need to play a little more aggressive and avoid hitting his shield and allowing him the opportunity to get the grab. Playing the range game is really hard because :4rob: is incredibly disruptive and there is not much you can do in Mega Man's normal play style to counter it.

I am most likely going to try :4wario: out for :4rob: next time we play. I did the same for CalmAnimal's :4bowser: and he couldn't keep up.

Also to clarify, the micro game mentioned is the small incremental damage while the macro is the big picture and sealing the kills. Sorry for the lack of clarification.
I completely agree. I think R.O.B is probably either his worst or 2nd worst match up behind :4sheik:
I'd say that even with skull barrier it can be a little tricky, but without skull barrier I'd say its very very difficult. I'd really like to see how ninjalink or zucco attempt it. Think ill try out :4falcon:next time.
Any particular reason you chose :4wario2:?

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
I completely agree. I think R.O.B is probably either his worst or 2nd worst match up behind :4sheik:
I'd say that even with skull barrier it can be a little tricky, but without skull barrier I'd say its very very difficult. I'd really like to see how ninjalink or zucco attempt it. Think ill try out :4falcon:next time.
Any particular reason you chose :4wario2:?
I've seen zucco go in for grabs alot more often for charachters that give him a tough time. and it works. megaman can be pretty slippery, so playing the mind game of not getting hit can make your opponent frustrated, making him mash buttons, leading megaman to capitalize on any unnecessary attacks

ConsummateK

Smash Cadet
Fine fine, but next time just stick with "I didn't understand what he said". There are plenty of folk on this site who's 1st language isn't English, so possibly calling somebody out on something they can't help, intentional or not, doesn't promote healthy discussion.
Zen patience, my friend. You have it.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I dont see ROB as a hard matchup at all :/

@ Anomilus Anomilus hates me lol

We have never played lol

Last edited:

demonickirby

Smash Rookie
I dont see ROB as a hard matchup at all :/

We have never played lol
Lmao. I Must have remembered incorrectly I guess.
On to the more puzzling part of what you said though; how the world do you not find :4rob: a hard matchup? Do you just not find anyone as a hard matchup?

Kronos2560

Smash Apprentice
Is this the "Top-5 Megaman players" thread? Or the "Top Megaman players I've seen on VGBootcamp and other typical well video publishers that I look at because I don't know anything else outside the mainstream" thread?

Top Bottom