• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Q&A

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
1- Multi hit attacks don't count towards move decay really, since they refresh each other. For example, the first hit of Toon Link's jab combo gets decayed, then the second hit refreshes the first, then the third hit refreshes the second, so it doesn't count reallyy.

2. To refresh your moves with an Up B on the ground, you have to actually hit something. If you're not hitting anything, it won't do anything.

3. If you hit anything on castle siege or shadow moses etc...The moves get refreshed.

gkrackerr

Smash Ace
1- Multi hit attacks don't count towards move decay really, since they refresh each other. For example, the first hit of Toon Link's jab combo gets decayed, then the second hit refreshes the first, then the third hit refreshes the second, so it doesn't count reallyy.
but what about his example of the up-b? I thought that attacks, even though they hit multiple times, are still part of the same move/attack and thusly decay after each consecutive use.

Like meta's neutral b gets weaker after each use even though the attack itself has numerous hits.

Or are the three parts of TL's jab considered different attacks?

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Hmm...I'm actually not sure. What I'm going off is Marth's Dancing Blade and Snake's Ftilt...Each hit of those attacks refreshes the previous. I'll definitely look into it though.

Lobos

Smash Master
Pretty much MK and snake are the only characters that take me out of tournaments. Although I face off against good MKs and Snakes most of the time region is filled with them. I can **** a decent/scrubby snake and MK no problems.

JesiahTEG - We should get some dittos in sometime this week

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I suck at dittos bro, but I'm going to Critical Hit 3, so I'll see you there yeah? xD

Also, that's what's making it hard for Toon Link to be high on the tier list. The 2 characters he has the most problems with are the 2 most common in the tourney scene.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I don't even know if I'm going to use all Toon Link at tournies, I usually don't. I can win with him on my counterpicks almost everytime though, and I did go all Toon Link at the last tourney so meh. I'll probably be one of the million Snakes there though, heh.

ozg82889

Smash Journeyman
the tourny i went to i only used toon link. im sure if i used lucas against NoR4U and ajax i would have lost even worse then i did. ( i brought them to 1 stock i think at least)

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
Q: A while ago, I saw a tutorial on youtube for Link and TL with regards to arrow cancelling after a SH aerial. For some reason i remember that the guy demonstrating was able to bair facing the right and bow cancel shooting an arrow to the left. I have tried to imitate it but can only shoot the arrow the same way I'm facing. I saw the vid AGES ago and can't seem to find it

Is it possible to turn around and arrow cancel or is this just a figmate of my imagination?

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=158481

This isn't the video, but I'm sure it's in here somewhere...

Found this in a different thread...

Do a quickdraw double arrow, but, as soon as you shoot arrow #2, turn the controller stick to your opposite direction, result is you doing a 180 spin while shooting arrow #2 but arrow #2 will go same direction as arrow #1... works great for setting bair combos (when performed incorrectly, you will shoot arrow #2 in opposite direction, still good for bair combos, but has less stun and damage effects on your opponents by a little bit and it wont be as flashy XD)

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Q: A while ago, I saw a tutorial on youtube for Link and TL with regards to arrow cancelling after a SH aerial. For some reason i remember that the guy demonstrating was able to bair facing the right and bow cancel shooting an arrow to the left. I have tried to imitate it but can only shoot the arrow the same way I'm facing. I saw the vid AGES ago and can't seem to find it

Is it possible to turn around and arrow cancel or is this just a figmate of my imagination?
If you're talking about reverse neutral B, you push the control stick the opposite way you are facing, let it return to the centre, and quickly press B. To arrow cancel and land facing backwards, press B and then push the control stick backwards.

Also, I've recently picked up TL and find that whenever I try to short-hop double arrow, the first one flies over my opponent's head... I still get the second one off fine. Am I doing something wrong or is it just impossible to do against some of the shorter characters?

AvantGarde

Smash Cadet
A good SHDA will be able to hit kirby with both arrows. Make sure you're shorthopping, is the only thing I can think of. Unless you're really super duper close to a short opponent, both should hit.

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
True. And TL plays his best game at midrange. The best thing about SHDA is that it limits their options even if it misses, often leaving them open.

Also, I have a question. What do you think Toon Links best stage is? I find Delfino is good, but is it the best?

Lobos

Smash Master

Santi

Smash Lord
I have a question..

:(
what do i do if I find myself parting ways with TL... and going to...
....meta....knight........

Santi

Smash Lord
NOOOO SANTI NOOOOOOO!

but wait....I just left toon link for g&w, so I can't talk. But the dark side, MetaKnight?! noooooo!
I'm trying to fight it...
but Mk is too fast....
no lag
and those eyes....luring..

PLUS omg gliding feels so amazing.....

But I know Toon Link is my calling

Edit: SCrew MK!!!!
TL all the way!

Eazy23

Smash Lord
haha I think we've all thought about switching mains. Don't lose tourny sets over it tho!

Snake doesnt give me anywhere near the trouble that say a GOOD marth does. Also I have myself having a very tough time fighting wario???Can anyone help?

znintendotaku

Smash Journeyman
haha I think we've all thought about switching mains. Don't lose tourny sets over it tho!

Snake doesnt give me anywhere near the trouble that say a GOOD marth does. Also I have myself having a very tough time fighting wario???Can anyone help?
yea me too its that **** bike!!! aagh!

QUIVO

Smash Master
TL 4 life Santi.

We need to find a way to make our TL's counter MK and every other character out there.

pklucas

Smash Apprentice
is there any way to somehow survive a missed dair for a meteor smash? for instance maybe dropping a bomb with grab so that it falls slowly and hope they airdodge and that way if you miss you'll hit it? or is nairs the way to edgeguard?

one more thing: does TL actually have a good taunt because i can't main a character with bad taunts

Santi

Smash Lord
is there any way to somehow survive a missed dair for a meteor smash? for instance maybe dropping a bomb with grab so that it falls slowly and hope they airdodge and that way if you miss you'll hit it? or is nairs the way to edgeguard?

one more thing: does TL actually have a good taunt because i can't main a character with bad taunts
TL's taunts pwn.

Santi

Smash Lord
Amen to that Santi. You really inspired me with your bomb taunt. Now I throw a bomb down and do the down taunt so he makes all the smoke go away. =D
Haha nice!
I used to use that one too. Then went to where I would throw or drop bomb then land next to it and do the down taunt.

It kinds has the effect where your just fighting smoke :) Then the smoke goes away and TL is exhausted.

It really looks cool.

Also this taunt looks legexy....

Dash...turn around, use the moment lag then do the side taunt.

It just looks crazy cool.

I'll show it if I have another gameplay video soon.
or just do it in my next combo video.

pklucas

Smash Apprentice
just making sure there's some potential there. Is TL a rewarding character to main? i'm having some problems with my old main

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Yes if you're very good with him or master him, and doing so with TL is tough.

Finch

Smash Lord
Most TL players switch mains because, while TL is certainly good, he has to work much harder than other good characters for everything, and camping can get very boring. Because of this he will most likely be doomed to mid tier.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Most TL players switch mains because, while TL is certainly good, he has to work much harder than other good characters for everything, and camping can get very boring. Because of this he will most likely be doomed to mid tier.
I am like that. I play Snake now....Well, I've always played Snake, but I tried out Toon Link and he just can't compete with top tier I feel. I'm not done with Toon Link yet though xD

Liquid_Kai?

Smash Apprentice
just making sure there's some potential there. Is TL a rewarding character to main? i'm having some problems with my old main
I've recently picked up TL and he is very fun nto play as. Its that hard work in every match that makes it feel more acheiving when youve just won which is something you cant really get from characters such as Dedede.

And performing a perfect RAR combo, if not very efficiant to use, still looks awesome and gets you stocked to win the match.

Santi

Smash Lord
Jesiah let's play some matches this weekend. I'll be at the Dallas tourney being hosted by Melee1

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Sorry Santi, I couldn't go, I had no ride. I hope you did well though. You'd probably beat me in dittos pretty badly, but I think my Snake would stand a good chance against your Toon Link. xD

Lobos

Smash Master
I'm noticing that alot of people are putting out video threads. That's good and all but most of these are online matches or friendlies against the same people which don't show anything new or strategies that might help in a actual tournament. Is the TL community progressing at all or are we at the end of the road?!

Santi

Smash Lord
I'm noticing that alot of people are putting out video threads. That's good and all but most of these are online matches or friendlies against the same people which don't show anything new or strategies that might help in a actual tournament. Is the TL community progressing at all or are we at the end of the road?!
We just dont have a good video thread.

Top Bottom