• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Q&A and FAQ Thread <- VISIT THIS THREAD BEFORE CREATING A NEW TOPIC

IASA = Interruptible as soon as

In other words, lets say we have a move that lasts 45 frames, but IASA frames started at frame 35. This means that even though the move lasts 45 frames, you can interrupt the move and do something else at frame 35.

a staple combo is another word for true combo or a difficult to escape combo I guess (it's the first time I've heard of the word).

DUB

Smash Lord
"Interuptible As Soon As" frames. Some moves have these frames at the end where you can input another command and do it earlier.

I'm guessing by "staple combo" your speaking of a combo that is important to using the character. Such as Fox's Drill -> Up-tilt, Diddy's Naner--> Dash Attack, TL's b-air chains, etc etc.

rED023b

Smash Apprentice
NNID
himanattsu
Does this sum up Toon Link well?

When you're away from your opponent, your projectiles are the things to use. Don't become predictable however, because a good opponent WILL read you and punish you for it. Utilizing all of the projectile ATs are important at long range. At medium range, you either must approach or back away to use more projectiles. Either way, Zair and retreating Nairs are good for spacing in this situation. When you're at close range, using a RARed Bairs are vital. Bthrow sets up opportunities for Bair to be used well, but you'll need to be cautious of using it; if you miss, you WILL be punished badly. If you're approaching someone head-on, hyphen smashing into Utilts is a very fearsome damage dealer, especially to heavyweights. As for edgeguarding, use your tether recovery to your advantage. Use you invincibility frames to you advantage here, as you can easily gimp most recoveries this way. As for going off-stage, Nair is usually your best bet, but if it's stale, Fair and Bair can suffice. Use Dair sparingly; although it kills extremely early, if you happen to miss, you'll lose a stock. As for killing, as you may have guessed, is a big problem. Most of his kill moves would be stale. Fsmash doesn't pull through well, because it's slow and easy to miss with.Your best bet is try and gimp your opponent, as previously stated, but if you manage to get fresh Uairs in, you can kill with relative ease. His recovery, while not stellar, does the job. UpB is a great recovery move, and tether is good for mindgames. It's important to mix these up, as well.

For the most part, yes. However, this doesn't belong:
If you're approaching someone head-on, hyphen smashing into Utilts is a very fearsome damage dealer, especially to heavyweights.
Hypen and Utilts individually do well (assuming you land it that is), however, you can't Hyphen to Utilt.

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
Two questions.

1. What is the best (the one thats also realistically possible... I'm not a CPU) way to DI with TL? I've heard fast falling with Bair, and then I've heard using Dair. Which one is better, or is there an even better way?

2. What to do in this situation?
Versing Snake with Toon Link. Snake is.... 130+%. At this point it doesn't really matter how many more projectiles you land, because hes going to die from a strongish attack anyway . However he is basically camping, and playing really safe. All your approaches get shielded and punished (Hyphen smashes, Fsmashes, etc). What is a relatively unpunishable way to get the kill?

Thanks in advance. :)

1) Bair, since it's your fastest attack.

2) I don't know Snake, but IMO the safest kill to get is bomb to Uair. In other words, get on top of them, throw a bomb down, they'll fly up, then you intercept them with Uair.

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
Hm... Okay I'll start trying that and see if it works. I tend to avoid being on top of Snake though, since he can spam his Usmash through his Snake dashing.

Thebest1pj

Pinnacle of Projectile Placement.
Two questions.

1. What is the best (the one thats also realistically possible... I'm not a CPU) way to DI with TL? I've heard fast falling with Bair, and then I've heard using Dair. Which one is better, or is there an even better way?

2. What to do in this situation?
Versing Snake with Toon Link. Snake is.... 130+%. At this point it doesn't really matter how many more projectiles you land, because hes going to die from a strongish attack anyway . However he is basically camping, and playing really safe. All your approaches get shielded and punished (Hyphen smashes, Fsmashes, etc). What is a relatively unpunishable way to get the kill?

Thanks in advance. :)
nair him off stage its your SAFEST option NAIR NAIR NAIR NAIR NAIR NAIR NAIR NAIR NAIR

PortCity

Smash Ace
Wow, everything must be done in proper order over here in the Tink boards lol. Over at the diddy boards, you can just ask away anywhere you want. Well, anyway, my question is how are you supposed to play Toon Link offensively. It seems that Tink is only played defensively, even though it seems he can easily be played offensively. Can you guys offer any insight into this?

Things are ordered like this in every board, or at least they should be. Anyways, how to play TL offensively.

Using a lot of Bair and Nair. Everything Toon Link has just screams defensiveness, so it's best to just sit back and spam projectiles, and only go offense when they get to you. When they do, like I said, Nairs, Bairs and probably Zairs are your best tools. You can use bombs to knock your enemies into your sword, and if you land a Zair, you can most likely follow it up with a Nair or a grab. Nair sends the enemy away, so just proceed to spam afterwards.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
About BCAT timing/button inputs...

What I'm trying to do is SH bair FF reverse QD BCAT, like in Hyro's video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSh3X7wioDY

So far I've gotten the SH bair FF forward QD down...but reversing it is the problem.

When I do it forward, I SH, c stick for bair, press B then press down on the joystick to FF and the arrow comes out as a QD. When I try to reverse it I press left on the joystick right before the arrow comes out, but it usually comes out as a BCAT where I turn around and the arrow goes in the original direction...

What am I doing wrong? :S

Hyro

Smash Lord
About BCAT timing/button inputs...

What I'm trying to do is SH bair FF reverse QD BCAT, like in Hyro's video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSh3X7wioDY

So far I've gotten the SH bair FF forward QD down...but reversing it is the problem.

When I do it forward, I SH, c stick for bair, press B then press down on the joystick to FF and the arrow comes out as a QD. When I try to reverse it I press left on the joystick right before the arrow comes out, but it usually comes out as a BCAT where I turn around and the arrow goes in the original direction...

What am I doing wrong? :S
Using the cstick. Timing is too specific. Use dirction + A. It's all in the control stick.

Keep practicing the BBQ (which is everything other than the BCAT) until you can buffer it. Then you'll have more than enough time to hit back right AFTER you press B for the arrow cancel.

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
Have you tried buffering the down (for Fast Fall) and left (for reverse) together?

(Example is if you are attacking left)
Instead of Down (Fast fall),
Left (Reverse),
B, (QD Arrow)
Right (BCAT)

You can press Bottom-Left (Fast Fall and Reverse)
B (QD Arrow)
Right. (BCAT)

Makes it easier to time the BCAT on the end.

FearTheMateria

Smash Apprentice
I pulled a really funky Toon Link AT at APEX on accident. I've only been able to do it two more times since... Basically, the dair loses gravity as if Tink took a hit (Like Safe Spiking), except when he wasn't even touched. I have only been able to pull this mid-air, but is there a tech based on this?

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
ive been able to BBQ pretty consistently using the C Stick.when i short hop using my thumb i use the bottom part of my thumb to buffer a Bair

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
I pulled a really funky Toon Link AT at APEX on accident. I've only been able to do it two more times since... Basically, the dair loses gravity as if Tink took a hit (Like Safe Spiking), except when he wasn't even touched. I have only been able to pull this mid-air, but is there a tech based on this?
Wait what? You Dair Stalled without getting hit first?
What did you do before the Dair?
And I think the only tech based on it is safe spiking.

ive been able to BBQ pretty consistently using the C Stick.when i short hop using my thumb i use the bottom part of my thumb to buffer a Bair
BBQ?

MaskedAvnger

Smash Journeyman
If you could dair stall on a whim, pretty sure there's not much beyond safe spike. Does it raise you up like when you do the double jump bair dair stall? Cuz you might be able to stall under the stage, as useless as that would be in tourney.

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
If you could dair stall on a whim, pretty sure there's not much beyond safe spike.
Actually, I had an idea. How would it do as an approach? As in hovering towards your opponent on your sword.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Not that I know of. This sounds awesome. A safe spike and possible gimmicky approach lol.

Please try to vid it?

FearTheMateria

Smash Apprentice
You were probably hit high in the air and attempted to use dair when your momentum was still going up or whichever way you were hit.
The only thing was, I wasn't hit... I was against Gnes's Diddy in a pool (epically failed too) and was just bombing the platforms on BF. I saw him jumping up to toss a banana, so I intended to double jump dair to push him off, but TL stalled instead. It was weird. I am gonna try to pull it again. If I can get a replay, i'll put it here first thing...

MaskedAvnger

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I had an idea. How would it do as an approach? As in hovering towards your opponent on your sword.
it seems like it'd be punishable, if it's possible. i mean you're essentially frozen for like 2 seconds. all they'd have to do would be get above the sword, which isn't a big deal for like 2/3+ of the cast.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Hmm, I'm interested, but skeptical. From my experience, you need momentum whether it be from a hit or a wind hitbox or whatever. I don't see why/how it would be possible without anything interferring. I'm gonna wait for a vid.

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
it seems like it'd be punishable, if it's possible. i mean you're essentially frozen for like 2 seconds. all they'd have to do would be get above the sword, which isn't a big deal for like 2/3+ of the cast.
True, but I think you might be able to space it (vertically) so that your hitbox is between you and them. Last I checked Dair pwns almost everything. So around (their) headheight or above. It might work well against MK, since Dair bounces on tornado and sometimes goes through =D.

Oh and it would be a pretty cool addition to our recovery.

Otherwise waiting on vid too.

Btw what about things like the boomerang? Where was the boomerang when you Daired?
I remember boomerang back in Melee could catapult Link upwards if you are tethered to a wall... It could be a factor?
(Found the boomerang catapult video. All credit goes to its respective owner etc etc.)

SSBM Link Glitch

The link is in the Useful Links thread. It's pretty much a dead project, since there's no activity between the judges.

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
What are Toon Link's options when being pressured in a shield? Plus, how safe are they?

So things like,
-Safe ways to counterattack in shield.
-Safe ways to get out of the danger zone.

What are Toon Link's options when being pressured in a shield? Plus, how safe are they?

So things like,
-Safe ways to counterattack in shield.
-Safe ways to get out of the danger zone.
To counterattack: OoS Nair (full hopped) and OoS Bair. You could go for the grab too, but that's risky.

Safe ways to get out: None really. Our rolls suck. If you can, just run. >_>

Is there a TL xat?
Now there is. :)

Top Bottom