• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Q&A and FAQ Thread <- VISIT THIS THREAD BEFORE CREATING A NEW TOPIC

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Just look at FIOD's thread and read everything, a lot of stuff there is useful.

Kishin-Toon-Link

Smash Rookie
Hey all ^^ I'm sure that the questions have already been asked, but I don't found so:
What is "SHDA" ? (I'm feeling idiot)
And sometimes, when using Dsmash, the opponent flys horizontally
but I don't know exactly how to do that... Can someone explain me ?
Don't be too bad if I made a mistake >.<"
Thanks (=

SHDA means Short Hop Double Arrow.

As for the Dsmash, that move is pretty glitchy. The first hit of the down smash should always send your opponent moving horizontally really really fast, into the second hit. The second hit will either do one of three things.

1) At very low percents, the second hit will send your opponent horizontally (which is what I think you were looking for).

2) At any other percent, it will send your opponent upwards.

3) The second hit will completely miss, and your opponent will be send in a far and low angle. This usually happens when you Dsmash on a slope (edges of Yoshi's Island Brawl and Pictochat) or when you cancel your second Dsmash with a bomb (look up 1HitKO Dsmash Gimp in the Useful Threads thread).

I hope this helped. :)

Kishin-Toon-Link

Smash Rookie
SHDA means Short Hop Double Arrow.

As for the Dsmash, that move is pretty glitchy. The first hit of the down smash should always send your opponent moving horizontally really really fast, into the second hit. The second hit will either do one of three things.

1) At very low percents, the second hit will send your opponent horizontally (which is what I think you were looking for).

2) At any other percent, it will send your opponent upwards.

3) The second hit will completely miss, and your opponent will be send in a far and low angle. This usually happens when you Dsmash on a slope (edges of Yoshi's Island Brawl and Pictochat) or when you cancel your second Dsmash with a bomb (look up 1HitKO Dsmash Gimp in the Useful Threads thread).

I hope this helped. :)
Oh yes, in fact I know what's is SHDA ^^
1 Hit KO ? That's not very... fair play, isn't it ?
Thank you very much for your help [=
(I hope my english is understandable... I mainly learned to speak it in video games, so... --")

MJG

Smash Hero
More Specifically for down smash.

The opponents flys at a horizontal angle under 25%

This can also happen if you initiate down smash as the opponent is running towards you.

What Twink said about the bomb thingy...impractical though. SO don't rely on that..or down smash period.

Kishin-Toon-Link

Smash Rookie
Okay ^^
Err, I don't want to be boring but I have another question: Is it important to play with various characters, or can we be concentrated on 2/3 characters ?

MJG

Smash Hero
Its up to you.

I have played with several characters since brawls release. Even though I don't play with most of those characters now, it has helped me to understand some of their limitations and when I am vs'ing those character, I understand what they will do in certain situations.

I have mained TL since I unlocked him.

I think it's definitely important. Playing as other characters gives you a first hand experience on how they work. You will understand what moves are good and what moves aren't. You'll understand how the character in general works out, in terms of what works and what doesn't, and you'll be aware of vulnerabilities.

It's not necessary to learn everyone, but I can't say it doesn't help.

If you have any more questions, just ask.

The one player challenges?

I can't say it wouldn't help, but there are certainly better ways of learning all the characters. I read guides to find out the good/bad moves and strategies for each character, then I watch Youtube videos to see how it's applied. That's just me though. We all learn differently.

DUB

Smash Lord
Will Toon Link's B-Air consistently beat MK's f-air? I know I've used it and beat out f-air approaches before, just wanted to know if it wasn't a fluke. Does b-air outrange MK's F-air?

MJG

Smash Hero
Thats a good question lol. I don't think it does personally but a retreating bair MIGHT beat it just because it sweeps under toonlink and the possiblity of hitting him is better. It probably wouldn't work if you were approaching MK with Bair

DUB

Smash Lord
Thats a good question lol. I don't think it does personally but a retreating bair MIGHT beat it just because it sweeps under toonlink and the possiblity of hitting him is better. It probably wouldn't work if you were approaching MK with Bair
Ok cool. Yeah it happens more often when I retreat with it. Maybe that's because I can get out of f-air range just in time for the b-air to hit sometimes just like you said. Anyways, I've been playing the matchup a lot lately and every little bit helps.

EDIT: Didn't want to bump the old doubles discussion, but I'd like to hear everyones opinion on the MK+TL team.

ThePika

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I love these forums, they have helped me get a lot better :)

But I do have a question. How do you warm up versus someone you have never played before? I know in tennis at least you can either go easy and not show all your moves, or you can use all of your kick butt moves to intimidat and warm them up. I am not sure how to do this. The situation is interesting. I have been talking a lot of smack (cause Im pretty darn good but not as good as you guys) but he thinks toon link lame. :o So, how do you warm up against someone who is not familiar with toon link in order to win in the next match?? I love you guys so much.

And hyro, I love your videos 'toon link recap ____'. You should make some more showing off nice combos. And one explaining how to Zair best (like in what situations). Plzzz?

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I love these forums, they have helped me get a lot better :)

But I do have a question. How do you warm up versus someone you have never played before? I know in tennis at least you can either go easy and not show all your moves, or you can use all of your kick butt moves to intimidat and warm them up. I am not sure how to do this. The situation is interesting. I have been talking a lot of smack (cause Im pretty darn good but not as good as you guys) but he thinks toon link lame. :o So, how do you warm up against someone who is not familiar with toon link in order to win in the next match?? I love you guys so much.

And hyro, I love your videos 'toon link recap ____'. You should make some more showing off nice combos. And one explaining how to Zair best (like in what situations). Plzzz?
You pretend this is Melee and show off "tech skill" by doing a bunch of random ATs in a well fashioned order along with the Mew2King dtilt left dtilt right thing.

Btw, don't talk smack unless you can back it up.

ThePika

Smash Rookie
Kaffei; said:
You pretend this is Melee and show off "tech skill" by doing a bunch of random ATs in a well fashioned order along with the Mew2King dtilt left dtilt right thing.

Btw, don't talk smack unless you can back it up.

But I can back it up :) thanks to these forums and the skills I have learned.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
So I've been playing Toon Link occasionally and I've come to the conclusion that he is super fun to play as. More fun than I gave him credit for, in fact.

As I assume many of you are proficient Toon Link users, I am here to ask for advice. The question is fairly simple: What do you think you should have learned with Toon Link first that would have made your matches easier in the future? List a few things since my Toon Link is pretty basic at the moment.

I've held out on a true secondary for like 2 years but if I'm going to secondary any character, it's going to be Toon Link, haha.

MaskedAvnger

Smash Journeyman
I noticed on the boards that we had a "Stage counterpicks and bans" list per character. The list is rather out of date (stages like Corneria are still included), and I'm currently compiling a more up-to-date one.

I think I'm just gonna make a list, by character of which stages to strike, which stages to counterpick, which stages to ban, give a MU ratio and give a little bit of advice for each MU.

Should I make a new thread once I'm done with it, add it to a different thread, or some other course of action?

MaskedAvnger

Smash Journeyman
So I've been playing Toon Link occasionally and I've come to the conclusion that he is super fun to play as. More fun than I gave him credit for, in fact.

As I assume many of you are proficient Toon Link users, I am here to ask for advice. The question is fairly simple: What do you think you should have learned with Toon Link first that would have made your matches easier in the future? List a few things since my Toon Link is pretty basic at the moment.

I've held out on a true secondary for like 2 years but if I'm going to secondary any character, it's going to be Toon Link, haha.
Learn how to get people off of you. It's easy to maintain a projectile spam for a good %, but when they get in, you need to get them back out to mid range, and/or retreat safely back to mid range. I'm no pro, but that's what I would say is an important aspect of tink, (i still need to work on it..)

edit: Sorry for the double post...

Thebest1pj

Pinnacle of Projectile Placement.
I noticed on the boards that we had a "Stage counterpicks and bans" list per character. The list is rather out of date (stages like Corneria are still included), and I'm currently compiling a more up-to-date one.

I think I'm just gonna make a list, by character of which stages to strike, which stages to counterpick, which stages to ban, give a MU ratio and give a little bit of advice for each MU.

Should I make a new thread once I'm done with it, add it to a different thread, or some other course of action?
yes you should

Iofsauron

Smash Journeyman

Something that would have made life easier as TL is projectiles. More use of these helps a ton, but sadly i didn't take advantage early on. If your interested, go to the TL The Never Ending List of Toon's AT's, Tricks and Combos. its a thread on here it helps a ton, and also gives videos and stuff. You should check it out

and sorry for double post :p

TWiNK's just being salty. ;)
DON'T TALK BACK TO ME SON!

Some things you should learn are our important techs.
-Quickdraw
-iBomb
-JC Throw
-B-reversal

Every move has its purpose (except for Dtilt, maybe). It's best to learn what you should and shouldn't do with each move, and when it's right to use it. The guide does a good job on the first part, but you're gonna have to learn through experience on the second part.

Also, you have to learn how to properly spam projectiles. It's not something that's written down here, so for the time being, you're just going to have to learn it on your own.

DUB

Smash Lord
That's a good list. I'm a newer Toon too and when I played him against my crewmates I kept it real simple with Quickdraws and iBombs and it's worked out I think because I didn't overwhelm myself with all his AT's. He's actually a somewhat easy character to transition to being a Diddy main. His instant throwing and shield-bouncing have opened some doors to me with Toon Link. I was even playing Diddy the other day and I couldnt stop iNanering.

Top Bottom