• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Matchup Thread

Liquid_Kai?

Smash Apprentice
I thought Marth was a bad match-up.

I get confused with all the swordsmen and whatnot.

But it's true, TL ***** Marth with his projectiles, though Marth does have better reach with his sword.=/
Exactly, you cant really KO with a projectile unless its in a combo. Thats why its difficult to approach Marth head on. Remember, Spacing!

Just keep hammering those arrows and bombs and they'll slip up somehow and give you and oportunity for the dashing upsmash (Hyphen Smash, Yeahhh learning the lingo of TL community)

Clink

Smash Cadet
Against Olimar, I think it's a mid range spacing game that get TL the advantage. I have a friend who' Oli is top in The AV here in California. I play him all the time and have tons of exp with him. Camping Oli is possible but hard, yes. it's best to try and not resort to that too much. you'll want to hold off on tryin' to spam approach with Bombs as well. Since all off Oli's Pikmin will destroy taht bomb or get yuo hit by it when they latch.

if you can keep spacing mid range just right, you're out of range from the DSmash and grabs. yes, a occasional pikmin will latch. But you can't let a pikmin latching psych you. Most people will get hit by a pikmin and start wanting t knock them off. TL's aerials will kill some pikmin and the Nair kills them and hits Oli at the same rate. Spacing and approaching with Nair, Di back, to C-Arrow works very well. in the Air it's almost even game really.

TL's Uair has a lot of priority and does kill at a decent high percent. If below TL, just time your Uairs, just wait for that Air Dodge. Also, if you don't Uair at him he will more than likely spike you. So always, if approaching Oli from underneath, Uair.

If you're above him, Dair is great. only problem is his Uair's pikmin will instantly stop you. it's not so bad mainly cause' while he's falling you recovery from the Dair before he can get you. Now you can try do Dair again or Di away from him to gain some space.

oli is a great Edge guarder. He can grab you just off the tip of the stage. he can spike you if you Up-B. Also, his Bair and Fair will stage spike you. Best bet is to wait for an opportune moment and drop, pull out bomb, hop away from stage and try to gain access after tossing the bomb at him. He he's hit, make the recovery. Another way is to drop and hop to Uair. cause' more than likely he's wanting to spike you. Gettin him knocked upward becomes a recovery and even an advantage after you make it back on stage.

Of course if you approach with the R.A.R and gain that first Bair, keep it giong. you got him till about 50-60% easy. Once out of it gain some space and get those projectiles out.

If you're edge guarding him, it's not as difficult as you may think. First off, see how many pikmin he has. If he has a full set and you see him going for and up_B for the edge, it's your time to shine. just grab that edge before he does. even if way ahead of his up. you've got three shots and a quick tether recovery. just flick back and tether right away. Gaining your invincibility frames right away. if he missin Up, he's over. But he he connects, and you're at a high %...stage spike . if you can also determine what pikmin he has up in line next, you should also be cautious of tryin the edge guard. if it's purple, be very careful. Might not want to try it unless you know you have it. cause purple is **** at even 50%.

He does have whistle Armor. Which is a pain when tryin to just throw projectiles at him from an edge guard. throw some bombs to get some damage, if he's whistle armoring, then tease him with them. Try to psych him so you can drop from the stage for a Fair or Nair.

Grabs. Olimar can combo up to about 50%+ out of a grab. if you DI away from it, you can get out and jump right away. If he grabs you, it's more than likely an Up-throw. Just DI awaya and tap jump rapidly. once out, get a safe landing or Dair. if you're at a high %, then keep a distance of course. With his inventory of pikmin, he can purple throw and kill you, purple Fsmash and kill at actually a pretty low %. If he grabs with blue at high %, be ready for the DI and even C-stick DI. Those blue **** like a Ness/Lucas throw at good high %.

I would have to say it's a 5/5 mianly cause' Oli can kill early and he can combo well.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
How do you figure that TL Vs Peach is 7:3? How you come to this, I wanna know.

If anything it is 6:4 or possible even.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman

This thread is old/outdated/done by one person so it may not reflect the opinions of the TL community.

The TC also mentions that the scores may be innacurate, especially if the summary hasn't been done.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710

I'd give Peach a pretty dam decent advantage.
Theres so many ways she can counter him.
Or maybe I just suck against Peaches as Toon Link. =P

BKrkr

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5303-3831-5621
I think Toon's inability to touch Marth isn't mentioned enough. Even with projectile spam, Marth can easily get around it and close the gap quickly, TOO quickly.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Wario vs TL is not 6:4 for TL, it is either even or slightly in Wario's favor actually. There are some vids of Santi vs Me, and although we aren't perfect players, those matches showcase why TL isn't really dominating Wario or outclassing him or anything. It's can be a long, drawn out battle for both sides, but it doesn't seem too hard of a fight, as long as you are patient.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I give Wario the advantage just because of his edge grab. ._.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Nope thats the only reason I see.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
He does more damage on most attacks than TL, he kills TL at pretty low %'s, he can edgeguard TL with decent success, pressures well up close, and TL can have trouble landing a kill move with Wario running about.

TL has better range and priority, and he can setup a good defense with projectiles, but that's really all he has against Wario. If he had an easier time landing a kill move, then it would probably be even.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I don't need reasons. ._.
I know enough about the match up from experience.
Its just that the only thing that you can't do anything against is the edgeguard.
Actually....UGHH I hate doing work.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Well at least the other people know now. :)

kingkirby91

Banned via Warnings
i have the mosttrouble fightin wolf
i **** hate him
his fsmah is crazy because hes always behind when it finishes and im just like WAT THE HELL
the best way 4 me is to use TL up b move to get wolf after he uses his fsmash

ElPadrino

Smash Apprentice
I don't want to critize this thread or anything, but after reading all the match ups I find the information ridiculous.

This thread makes Toon Link seems Top tier for sure, I mean 90% of the matchup are on Toon Links favor which in many cases is not true.

I just feel the need to say this because I don't want people wanting to look for Toon Link matchups find this far fetched information.

Again I mean no offend to any of you Toon Link players, and even less to the creator of the thread, I just think you should be more realistic on your matchups.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I don't want to critize this thread or anything, but after reading all the match ups I find the information ridiculous.

This thread makes Toon Link seems Top tier for sure, I mean 90% of the matchup are on Toon Links favor which in many cases is not true.

I just feel the need to say this because I don't want people wanting to look for Toon Link matchups find this far fetched information.

Again I mean no offend to any of you Toon Link players, and even less to the creator of the thread, I just think you should be more realistic on your matchups.
This information is very very very old

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
And some things aren't done. =/
Blah...

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Might I suggest you put it in order from best matchups to worst? (Just the list not all the info on each char)

ElPadrino

Smash Apprentice
My bad then.

I just seemed like the people that made the matchups played one match against each character to decide the matchup ratio =P

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Most of the information I posted with detail is correct...But the matchup ratios that I posted without giving an explanation for are wayyy off.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Ness is not a 7-3 against TL.

Even though TL can give a Ness some trouble, Ness aerials and back throw of doom (KO's light characters easily)

I do not see why it's 7-3.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Ness is not a 7-3 against TL.

Even though TL can give a Ness some trouble, Ness aerials and back throw of doom (KO's light characters easily)

I do not see why it's 7-3.
Most of the information I posted with detail is correct...But the matchup ratios that I posted without giving an explanation for are wayyy off.
Look above you.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
JesiahTEG said:
Then maybe you should edit out ratios that have no explanation? The last few pages are pretty much non-tl players whining that Character A does better in a match up then the ratios state.

The information you have given (however outdated it may be) is still useful to players, but why accompany a good thread with information with unthought out and mostly incorrect ratios?

And to everyone viewing this thread, you may have already seen it but the match ups in the "Match-up discussions thread" are what the TL board generally agrees on (after we have discussed each match-up in depth.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
i main falco. santi likes to full hop bomb drop (that sounds so cool) against me.

another tl main, jerm, likes to combo my *** to hell with bair when im at 0%. (i think spacies are easily comboed by bair)

sorry if its obvious info, i just liked to contribute a bit :)

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
I actually almost always win against Marth, but my game against most Olimars is awkward if not futile. He always out camps me. Also for Pit, I just 'rang then bomb him and either he gets hit or I get in close. I usually works.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
so what is the consensus on the falco matchup? is zairing the best way to approach? its an absolute nightmare to play against falco

Jash

Smash Lord
Excuse me if you take this the wrong way but this is wrong. Toon Link Does not have an advantage over Lucario for a few reasons. Lucario has more range then Toon Link either you believe me or not...he does. Lucario can kick ALL his projectiles without punishment. If anything it should be the other way around and Lucario has an advantage over Toon Link. Wolf as well, his blast over prioritizes ALL of Toon Links projectiles. Thats my opinion though, talking from experience here.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Excuse me if you take this the wrong way but this is wrong. Toon Link Does not have an advantage over Lucario for a few reasons. Lucario has more range then Toon Link either you believe me or not...he does. Lucario can kick ALL his projectiles without punishment. If anything it should be the other way around and Lucario has an advantage over Toon Link. Wolf as well, his blast over prioritizes ALL of Toon Links projectiles. Thats my opinion though, talking from experience here.
Eh, Wolf seems even for me. The two can gimp each other very well, such is the nature of their qualities.

But yeah, I found it weird when the Lucario boards handed us the edge in the match-up. We only have projectiles over him, while he has range, kills well, lives long (plus the fact that TL sucks at killing makes this a bad thing).

Should we invoke the Lucario boards to redo the discussion?

Lobos

Smash Master
I somewhat agree with jash but at the same time this thread is old and needs a major update since the metagame is changing. Most of the match ups were made during the summer.

Browny

Smash Hater
Yeah that lucario vs TL matchup was made up a long time ago, only really basic things were considered factors, such as lucarios low vertical launch resistance and TL's strong star KO moves (well, stronger than average) were just about the only deciding factor lol.

I dont suppose theres any australian TL mainers around here i could play against...?
---
rofl im blind, wanna give it a shot vanderzant?

Top Bottom