• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Inquiry Thread (Ask a question, get an answer)

Rawrness

Smash Journeyman
For SHDA, I find it easer to take my right index finger off the shoulder to hit Y, then bring it back. Trying to hit Y then immediately hitting B with just the thumb IS possible, but it's not reliable. It's not like you need your finger on R or Z for that split second anyway; L covers your airdodge needs, and you won't be zairing while you're engaged in a SHDA.

Don't use X, by the way. Bad idea.
I use X and I set L as specials. And I have tap jump on.

Cloud Cleaver

Smash Journeyman
I suppose setting a shoulder to specials would work...not a bad idea. I tend to use L for all my dodging and shielding. I tried setting R to jump, once, but that didn't go over so well. Maybe it'll be more useful for B moves.

Kief

Smash Ace
just going from y to b seems to work somewhat for me. i cant get relaxed about it though. and i cant even think about doing it online. i cant even quickdraw online :urg:

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
I know we are talking about how to SHDA, but really, I don't find it that useful in a match. I have yet to find a good use for it. Everytime I do, I just end up getting punished for it.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
do it against Slow characters and when they are at a distance
or when they are tryin to approach
Even when ROB is trying to out camp you use it
Abuse the face off it on Ganon

You know what in my Toon Link guide or a separate thread I'm going to Explain the usefulness of SHDA against all characters of the cast.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
It IS necessary in some matchups so u should learn it. But its generally a bad way to camp. Stick with bombs, rang and ur sword. And of course, zair ^.^

Cloud Cleaver

Smash Journeyman
@ KIEF: I'm the only decent smasher in my area. Surrounded by noobs...CPs are as good as it gets.

SHDA's OK, IMO, but it is kinda slow. I usually just use the arrows to pop off as I land from an aerial.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Hi.

I'm a kirby main, as you probably noticed. Last november, I started working on Kirby really hard. I'd started working on making TL my secondary, but without really noticing it, stopped. I've come to regret that decision. What's some advice you guys could give me for seconding him? I thank you in advance for your help.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
ehh play him as if he was your main
:D

But dont expect to be amazing with Toon Link.
You kinda have to devote yourself to him more than other characters.
:\

And space better
:]

Jellyfishn

Smash Journeyman
Hi.

I'm a kirby main, as you probably noticed. Last november, I started working on Kirby really hard. I'd started working on making TL my secondary, but without really noticing it, stopped. I've come to regret that decision. What's some advice you guys could give me for seconding him? I thank you in advance for your help.
Worship TL, make sure that you use him A LOT. That's why my Toon Link sucked for so long, I didn't play my main enough and played my secondaries too often. Even to have him as a secondary takes lots of work and gameplay experience.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Anyone got any good mindgames ro tricks with grounded UpB?
I've been using a bit more and it's alright against spotdodges and OoS.

Possible to do a Hyphen Spin attack? 8D

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
I think if you mix you attacks good enough your opponent might be use to blocking up to three hits. Jabs hitting three times in a row. So you can throw them off at times if they try to time in a grab. Jab cancel into Spin Attack.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
You can run and do upB. Wont really be a hyphen though. Jab into spin attack is good too. Try catching them in the spin attack when they land. That works well. The spin attack is almost 100% a part of my game now lol

Alzi

Smash Master
I need some help i think i'm starting to be too predictable with toon link. I keep doing Nair to arrows, zair to grab, zair to nair i always grab a bomb out in a short hop then arrow cancel in the other direction. It seems my opponents can start to read what i'm going to do and i seem to always recover below the stage.

Would a vid of me playing a few friendlies help you guys help me? I'm just not sure how to mix my game up exactly.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Anyone got any good mindgames ro tricks with grounded UpB?
I've figured out a really random trick you can do with the grounded Up-B.
A while ago some guy said that he had somehow used grounded Up-B to spike someone. From that desciption I figured out that if your opponent is hanging on the ledge and has run out of invincibility frames, and you are standing next to him facing the other way, if you do a grounded Up-B, the first hit behind you (1%) will hit the guy on the ledge downwards. For this to actually kill someone though, they need to be on a high percent.

Usefull? No
Fun to know? You betcha.
I need some help i think i'm starting to be too predictable with toon link. I keep doing Nair to arrows, zair to grab, zair to nair i always grab a bomb out in a short hop then arrow cancel in the other direction. It seems my opponents can start to read what i'm going to do and i seem to always recover below the stage.
I didn't see any Bairs or Boomerangs. Use more Bairs, always have a boomerang out and a bomb in your hand.
If this doesn't help, then use another character for a little while. Seriously, if they're used to versing a Toonlink then use another character until they're used to that one and then switch back. Simple.

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
I wanna speed up my tlink so i can keep up with falcon and sonic and make snakes cry.

anyone got any pointers for speeding up, teching advice etc

any help will help me so say wat ya know

Alzi

Smash Master
I didn't see any Bairs or Boomerangs. Use more Bairs, always have a boomerang out and a bomb in your hand.
If this doesn't help, then use another character for a little while. Seriously, if they're used to versing a Toonlink then use another character until they're used to that one and then switch back. Simple.
I always do Bairs and always have a boomerang out and all the other basic stuff i know of. I think you're idea of me to use another character is the situation. Since all i ever use is toon link. :laugh:

Lobos

Smash Master
I wanna speed up my tlink so i can keep up with falcon and sonic and make snakes cry.

anyone got any pointers for speeding up, teching advice etc

any help will help me so say wat ya know
Falcon and sonic are way faster than TL, the key is to slow their momentum down and bring the game to your speed.

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
Falcon and sonic are way faster than TL, the key is to slow their momentum down and bring the game to your speed.
k thx, its just i wanna get to the speed you pros go at like u, santi, H_R, chip etc

i know i'm aiming high but thats the only way i can ever do anything lol

Lobos

Smash Master
You always want to stay in the air more and use moves that don't lag.
You want to flow like water......you're movements should be fluid and your attacks should be swift.

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
You always want to stay in the air more and use moves that don't lag.
You want to flow like water......you're movements should be fluid and your attacks should be swift.
whoa thats deep man ^^

and thx will work on it

bottom half is insanely sigable ^^

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee"

Try and aim for that oOJaseOo. ;)
lol i didnt know i mained a 60s boxer my eyes are finally open ^^

thx alzi & lobos very grateful ',; )

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Back air is definitely one of toon links main aerial moves.
Not much lag, great at stringing together multiple bairs, damage racker.
You should use nair when approaching, after zairs, to get someone off you.
Fairs for killing (be careful, they're slow and punishable)
Dairs should be limited. A lot of new toon links spam this for some reason. Only dair when you KNOW you'll hit them with it.
Never use it off stage as it is almost a guarantee'd SD. If you're going to use dair offstage, make sure you footstool -> dair first.
Upair for killing, air dodgers (this thing lasts a really long time)

Zair for approaching.
Zair is awesome, here are a few things you can do out of zair

Zair - Bomb - Nair
Zair - Nair
Zair - Hyphen
Zair - Bomb - Hyphen

None of these are guarantee'd as they all can be DI'd out of.

Jman115

Smash Journeyman
You cannot say bair is necessarily better against MK, it all depends on your situation. Bair is a great way to rack up damage, nair makes for a good approach. I also like to use it when getting back on stage. I tap down when holding on the edge and jump onto the stage with a nair.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Planking is constantly regrabbing the ledge, using the invincibility frames to your advantage.
Its used to stall out the timer, in order to win a game.
In tournaments if the clock runs out the player with the most stocks and lower percentage wins the match. It only goes to sudden death if the clock runs out when they're at the same %.

So plank planked in that video to win.
If the falco messed up on trying to punish metaknight, plank could surely make him lose a stock with offstage gimping.

Top Bottom