• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Inquiry Thread (Ask a question, get an answer)

Pho

Smash Journeyman
I've been working on some combos with the bair, seeing how it's our key combo move. Sorry if this has been brought up, but I've been trying the following:

SH bair -> bair -> jab combo.

Now, you could jab once or twice and go into a grab or maybe a nair. But remember, it's not a true jab cancel, so they can still react in terms of shielding and such. I find grabbing is probably a better option, since they are being hit by 2-3 attacks, and may want to shield to prevent further damage.

ONLY WORKS AT LOW %
Anyone else wanna give it a try and see what they think?

Power of Slash

Smash Ace
Ok, this is another huge flaw in my general gameplay, but strongly applying to Toon Link.

was there ever a period where you guys used patterns of projectile walls. Like take me for an example, if I'm in the air I'm going to throw a bomb down, double jump throw a bomb the length of a zair away from the past bomb, then throwing another bomb in the middle. Things like that, I'm getting uber predictable.

If any of you have reached this point I'm telling you about, how exactly did you overcome it?

Power of Slash

Smash Ace
doing something else usually ends in something ineffective, putting me in an even worse position than being predictable.

I understand the vagueish answer, but I need something more than that.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I still follow paterns now. But its not always the same pattern. I mix things up, so they dont know exactly what ima do, just my options. Like, I BBQ, the SH bair to boomerang. Then BBQ twice. Or I space zairs really well, then some times dont space them so well on purpose. Its all about mix up. I have plenty of them, some I forget to do cause I have so many. But I kind of went through that stage, just start thinking about different things more, you'll soon start to do those things.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
BBQ is a SH bair, fast fall, turn around quickdraw. Quivo named it BBQ, and I just said it was backwards bair quickdraw. Soo, we just started using BBQ.

DCStyle

Smash Apprentice
Any of you guys have a problem with your up-air screwing you up during your ledge game even though you press up B?

What I do is drop from the ledge, jump up and bomb pull, up throw, and up B, but sometimes when I press the B, the TL does a freaking Uair, making me fall to my death from the attack delay. :|

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Lol, thats just you pressing the wrong buttons. Try changing the button config to help you.

DCStyle

Smash Apprentice
Lol, thats just you pressing the wrong buttons. Try changing the button config to help you.

Hmm, that's weird, because I actually tried it out afterwards again slowly, while looking down.

I dropped down, bomb pulled, up a-ed to throw as soon as I could, and up B-ed to recover, but when I pressed B, my uair came out instead.

Power of Slash

Smash Ace
I was wondering this.

let's say I do a SH Bair -> B-reversed QD.

would I be able B-reverse a Charged arrow or does it only work with QD's?

napZzz

Smash Hero
not sure if this is new or not, but today I noticed that if you dsmash someone while they are charging a smash, it will kill them 90% of the time at 0% more than likely, and pretty much ensure death at a little higher percent. This works on a plethora of characters, pretty much everyone me and a friend tried and with any smash. IS this worth looking into?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
If someone is charging a smash, they take more knockback when hit.
This applies to every character.

napZzz

Smash Hero
but what I want to know is if this is worth looking into, such as finding ways to exploit it and such.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Not at all.
If you see someone charging a smash and have enough time to hit them, by all means go for it.
Thats pretty much it.

1Zero99Lucia5

Smash Cadet
Not always, if someone is good a timing, you, by all means, should NOT go into it, you are most likely to be hit with a fully charged smash. Wich has more hitstun so you're open for a campgame or else

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Nooo T4Q dtilt isnt the loneliest tilt. Its ftilt. Ftilt is garbage GARBAGE XD. I use dtilt sometimes after a jab (but at least i use it unlike that stupid slow, low range, low knockback ftilt). And im pretty sure dtilt to grab is a true combo at low percents.

oOJaseOo

Smash Ace
I like ftilt lol has the same kinda hit back as nair (direction wise) and comes out of bair combo rlly well an sets up for a gimp nicely

Silver Swordsman

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering this.

let's say I do a SH Bair -> B-reversed QD.

would I be able B-reverse a Charged arrow or does it only work with QD's?
If you're charging the arrow it's not really a quickdraw lol
You can charge it after the bair, but there'll be more lag

Does anyone fast fall in between nair > quickdraws? It's a strict timing that I can't seem to get down, but it'd seem like it'd be useful (and yes, you can fast fall between them).

SamusTheHedgehog

Smash Cadet
Tips for a newcomer to Toon Link

Im just starting to use Toon Link, what are some basics i need to know to be good with him?

-Tempest-

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1413-9980
Hmm... Learn to utilize your projectiles well. This is a definite must.

Learn to use Zair. This is your primary spacing tool, and thus should be mastered quickly.

Bair and Nair are your friends. Bair is good for chaining, and Nair is a good "get away from me" attack.

Learn the kill moves: Usmash, Uair, Fsmash, Fair, Dsmash (at higher percents). I think I might be missing one or two.

Be careful when using Dair.

And remember: Camping is legit, so set up a tent. :p

Rutger

Smash Master
3DS FC
1676-3683-2689
Im just starting to use Toon Link, what are some basics i need to know to be good with him?
What Tempest said is pretty good.
With the projectiles, definitely get down arrow canceling. People will call it quickdraw, just press B just before you land and the start up lag from the arrow will be removed. Much like L-canceling in Melee.

Utilt is a nice kill move as well.
Don't worry about any technical things until you are comfortable when playing as TL, you'll just slow yourself down if you do.

That's all really. :ohwell:

AeRo^

Smash Rookie
My brother plays a great Lucas and i cant seem to beat him...
Can anyone help me with some tips? Cant get around Laggy Shout and the Stick...

Ty to anyone who can help me

DCStyle

Smash Apprentice
Is quick shielding after fox trotting a better/faster way to travel than just straight up fox trotting?

I was messing around with it yesterday, and it seemed a little faster, but I'm not sure, plus you have the option of going into a quick shield instead.

grandra

Smash Rookie
Just been wondering lately, what are tl's options to stop people from planking? for characters such as marth and mk, which while they are planking are able to attack while doing so making it hard to know what to do. I was just wondering what the general strategy is, if there is any. A lot of videos I see, people just randomly throw bombs, which most of the time just passes the time until they come back to the stage, not really accomplishing anything., except for those unexpected moments, not really something planned out.

As far as I know that is what it seems, but in reality I have no clue, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Bombs around the edge are your best option to beat planking.

Or you can hug the edge.

Lobos

Smash Master
I like to use the sliding bomb technique.....people don't know what to do when they see a bomb sliding at them lol

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
I just drop a bomb and edgehog (just bomb drop if its mk sigh). Its what works best for me anyways. Tho I havent played a planking opponent in a long while.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I think I might have found something new about Toon Link...
Platform D-air Piercing...
What you do is get on top a platform on BF, and drop down from it and immediately use D-air. If your opponent is under you, you'll push them away with the wind effect and 5% damage.

I'm just wondering if this is already known before I make a video and a thread about it.

Boomerang question.

Has anybody found out exactly how long it takes to get your boomerang back after you loose it?

Has anyone tried to count frames our anything, and convert it to seconds? If not, then what is a good estimate?

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Thanks TLMShiek, I thought so.

TwinkatGC: The time when the boomerang leaves your hands and doesn't come back to you takes 7 seconds for a new respawn of a boomerang.

Tiersr4Queers

Smash Apprentice
Is lylat a bad stage for tl?
I always seem to screw up there.
Such as shooting arrows since the ship tilts my arrows just go in a diff. and whn i zair the ship saves my opponent by TILTING!

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Lylat isnt so bad. It just messes up with ur arrow cancels sometimes. But I like the layout of the stage. And its my counterpick against peach ;D.

Shadow Moth

Up in the clouds
Slide backwards you mean?

To end up facing forwards: Jump either backwards or forwards, hit backwards B, instantly hit forwards.

To end up facing backwards: Jump either backwards or forwards, hit forward B, instantly hit backwards.

OniTheWolf

Smash Journeyman
I just got back into the grove of brawling, so I:
Forgot how the wave-bounce (b reversal?) arrows
Can't deal with Fox's who abuse DAir to any Smash
and my biggest problem: Whenever I tether the stage to recover, I hit A so I can pull myself right up. Now, I am having a problem where sometimes when I hit A right after a tether, I cling onto it for a second, then find myself canceling the tether with a NAir, ontop of that, i find myself outta jumps :(

Here's a better idea of what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUp-1jLeQY0&fmt=18

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Thats because you are pressing up. Or, you could have just been a little too far away.

Top Bottom