• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Inquiry Thread (Ask a question, get an answer)

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
....Ummm thats unrelated.

But yeah, if you feel the need to do so.

DCStyle

Smash Apprentice
....Ummm thats unrelated.

But yeah, if you feel the need to do so.
Whoops. Lol. I got lost in thoughts and didn't finish.

I was wondering if we could learn how to time the bombs well enough to do some gimpable combos off the stage, using the blast of the bomb to regenerate your up b.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Dude, this isn't Link.
We don't need crap like that. Our recovery doesn't suck.

Unless your going for like, an inch away from the blast zone (which you shouldn't be, because you might just get yourself gimped instead), then you can just use Nair/ whatever to gimp and then double jump and Up-B.

DCStyle

Smash Apprentice
Dude, this isn't Link.
We don't need crap like that. Our recovery doesn't suck.

Unless your going for like, an inch away from the blast zone (which you shouldn't be, because you might just get yourself gimped instead), then you can just use Nair/ whatever to gimp and then double jump and Up-B.
Eh, I was thinking more of a horizontal gimp rather than a vertical, but then again, disregard it. I think of weird situations/scenarios.

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
If you're close enough to the ground when you throw the boomerang, it won't return to you even if it hits. You can do that on any stage if you time the throw when off the ledge, but on stages with tilts and hills you can toss one from the ground and it won't return, depending on where you are.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
I think I mightve asked this already...not sure and im too lazy to check :)

but does anyone know why the boomerang doesnt return in yoshis and lylat? it also happens in some of the counterpicks. It does return sometimes but most of the time it just kinda disappears...
Dont worry about it after it goes off you can use it again so nothing bad really just no returning rang mindgames not too bad.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
I might make a video guide pointing out some solid tactics I found to be practical. People on the forums want a quick easy answer to winning and don't want to read my detailed explainations. If there are people who care for it. Then again I don't see the point of sharing my tactics anymore.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
thing is some of my gameplay relies on the returning boomerang and when it doesnt come back, I end up getting mind gamed :\
like irjon said dont make yhe returning boomerang your whole game plan but dont ignor it either
Okay, so I'm looking at boomerangs a bit.

This will be slightly unpredictable for those who are inexperienced with these boomerang paths.
But they're not really that unpredictable.
The boomerang should not be used primarily for these paths, but for just hitting with the throw rather than the return. These paths are sort of like quickdraw, not suitable alone but good to fit in.

Unless we can find a way to change the trajectory dramatically when the boomerang is behind us.

The two main ways I'm looking at changing the boomerang path are:
Jumping over it as it comes back. (JUMP OVER)
Jumping, then letting it come over you as it comes back. (JUMP AND FALL)

Fast falling after you jump over makes an effect. (FAST FALL AFTER)

It also depends on wether you use short hop or full hop (SH) (FH)

There's a lot of timing stuff, so the possibilities I list here aren't all that you can do.
For example there's this weird thing that happens

Throw it upwards JUMP OVER. FAST FALL AFTER. It makes a straight line. Good for hitting behind you in a straight line.

Throw it upwards JUMP OVER. It makes a shallow U-shape.

Throw it upwards JUMP AND FALL. It goes past you and downwards in an arc.

Throw it upwards JUMP AND FALL THROUGH PLATFORM, it goes straight down behind you.

Throw it straight JUMP OVER, it goes behind you and up in an arc.

Throw it straight JUMP OVER SH. FAST FALL AFTER. Goes a bit up and then straight line.

Throw it straight JUMP AND FALL SH, it goes past you and downwards in an arc.

Throw it straight JUMP AND FALL FH, it goes past you and sort of an upside down U.

Throw it down JUMP OVER, it goes straight up behind you.

Throw it down JUMP AND FALL FH, it goes high over you and then goes in a straight line.

Throw it down JUMP AND FAL SH, it goes a bit over you and goes in an upside down shallow U shape.

Also full jump is really good for JUMP AND FALL

On a side note unrelated to projectiles,
fair can be used to send people backwards if TL touches the opponent with his body hitbox. It's not really good because it's not the sword, but w/e. The best use for this is when you're hanging on the edge, and you need to send someone off the edge but you're facing the wrong direction.
And it's probably known.
dont give up faith impact

Power of Slash

Smash Ace
kk, so. My edgeguarding is quite horrible, and I don't know how to go about doing it.

how do you guys edgeguard? any tips of the sort?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Nair.
Just predict how they're going to recover. Easy stuff.

You can't go wrong. =D

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Fair.

>=D

lol, if you have time to pull a bomb out, air dodge.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
In general if your opponent has a good repeatable move off the edge it's better to try to counter or they'll be able to spam that aerial and punish if you Air Dodge the first swing. However, TL has good counter option if you don't have the time to Fair counter for whatever reason (and since the Nair may be too short of a range in this case). Try Air Dodging your opponent's attack and Zair him/her away once you dodge the attack.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Chip also does that thing where he throws a bomb away from the stage and then jumps backwards so he can use Bair when recovering.

Smart idea.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I dont think he jumps sasuke. He just throws the bomb. Jumping for no reason would be a waste.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Well he jumps if he still has a jump? >.>

Why not use it?

fusiongtxz

Smash Cadet
Okay so you know how if you b-stick an arrow you go dashing backwards? Well I manipulated that without any b-stick settings... Is this usefull?

Power of Slash

Smash Ace
ok I'm unsure if I can ask here, but I don't know where else so I'll just go ahead.

I would like for somebody to evaluate my TL before I head off to this tourney on Saturday, basically see what I'm missing, what I'm doing wrong all that stuff. I just want to make sure I'm fully prepared to do well. just PM me if you can.

If this doesn't belong in here than can someone redirect me to what thread I should go to.

Most likely my matches at the tourney will be recorded, so I'll be posting those up in the video critique thread.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Is there any advantage to pivot grabbing?
mind games.

Also, "Dthrow -> dash -> pivot grab" works.

ok I'm unsure if I can ask here, but I don't know where else so I'll just go ahead.

I would like for somebody to evaluate my TL before I head off to this tourney on Saturday, basically see what I'm missing, what I'm doing wrong all that stuff. I just want to make sure I'm fully prepared to do well. just PM me if you can.

If this doesn't belong in here than can someone redirect me to what thread I should go to.

Most likely my matches at the tourney will be recorded, so I'll be posting those up in the video critique thread.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=220697
post videos of yourself here.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Okay so you know how if you b-stick an arrow you go dashing backwards? Well I manipulated that without any b-stick settings... Is this usefull?
Yes, because you don't have to change your controller schemes, it's rather easy anyways.
I do it alot with ice climbers :D

Darktemplio

Smash Journeyman
Gainesville, Florida, USA, North America, Mars.
Is there a way to "cancel" the second hit in the Fsmash?

Like, say an opponent is running at you. you Fsmash and the opponent jumps over you and thats when you press up on the c-stick and instead of Usmash you end up getting the second hit of the Fsmash.

Is there a way to avoid this?

Power of Slash

Smash Ace

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
How can we evaluate your TL if we haven't seen it? <_<

iRjOn

Smash Lord
yea i was just wondering is there was a way to cancel it on the spot. also, by looking at toon links feet you can tell whether hes done, or hes gonna do the second attack.
Just wait till he takes his shield off his back that part I think has IASA frames then you can do something.
But I wouldn't advice upsmash as a followup to frist hit fsmash.
Better follow you would be utilt less punishable.

damezguy

Smash Apprentice
is it bad to be spamming projectiles hard? like the guy i mainly play is a good olimar so i use alot of bombs and he moaned that i used 5 ina row but i racked up like 30% damage. i also use boomerang when possible, when falling or off stage and this is mainly to move someone and to rack up light amounts of percent. i only use arrow when fully charged when i know i will get the hit, not that often.

Formerly Lore

Smash Rookie
oh yes I have a question um, whats your setup on the GC controller? I usually use the wii mote but since I keep running out of batteries I figure learning the GCC would be more economical.

I have X as special Y as shield and B as Grab and the rest are default. Its horribly bulky compared to the Wiimote and Im having a hard time with it. thats the only config I can work with so I hope someone can set me up better.

Top Bottom