• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tom Nook for SSBB: Far from Deconfirmed.

xzakcorex

Smash Journeyman
"Animal Crossing Kid" would work as name, but I think it might sound slightly strange for the announcer to say. "Animal Crossing... Kid." Six syllables- that's a mouthful. :ohwell:

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I get the feeling that the only reason people suggest Tom Nook is due to recognizability only. There are several other factors you need to consider for a character to be a SSBB contestant - atleast that's the way I see it... For exapmle, many of the Tom Nook supporters bashed parrothead's suggestion for Dr. Wright from SimCity (SNES version), even though he falls into the same territory. Animal Crossing indeed needs some sort of representation, but in the form of a stage or items - not a playable. Not every Nintendo/3rd party game represented in SSBB need necessarily feature a playable character - Nintendogs or Tetris anyone? It's not a question of "can it be done?" but rather "should it be done?" Well that's my opinion ofcourse (which you are free to disagree with - it's a free country after all...), but hopefully you can see where I'm coming from on this. [/rant]

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Deathborne, it LOOKED like you were going towards a viable point, but you never got there. You never gave a good reason as to why Nook shouldn't be in Brawl other than "he just SHOULDN'T be in there".

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I believe I did - I stated that Animal Crossing falls into the same category as Nintendogs and Tetris, in that you could make a Nintendog or a Tetrad playable characters but that it would feel akward and misplaced, that these are games that deserve representation, just not in the form of a playable character. Cotrary to many arguments out there, I contend that you can't throw just anyone into the SSB foray. There's a certain formula you have to work out (Nature of game, significance of character, etc.). And before you throw out the Mr. G&W counterexample, may I remind you that 1) he represents the ENTIRE Game & Watch line (precursor to GameBoy) and 2) Some of his games involes fighting lions, avoiding a giant octopus, skydiving, etc. Sorry if I was somewhat vauge in my earlier post - but you COMPLETELY misinterpreted it. For instance, by "should it be done?", I meant "is it really necessary?" not "it souldn't be done"...

MonkeyMan

Smash Journeyman
i really don't see how you could make a nintendogs or tetris character, but Tom actually could be pulled off, and doesn't he apper in more then one animal crossing? i dunno never played the portible one or ones if you count the E reader or what ever the gba extention was. Though i see the point that is trying to be made. and that They could just have like a lvl or somthing on animal crossing (though that'd be really hard unless it was right in tom's shop because all of animal crossings characters and maps are randomised). but i'd rather see him as a character..

xianfeng

Smash Hero
SlutMachine said:
because pichu is not a joke...he is actually tournament worthy...yea i sed it
No he's not and that's why he will be removed in Brawl.

Tom Nook has been in Animal Forest, Animal Crossing, Animal Crossing Wild World and will be in Animal Crossing Wii. Tom practacly represents one of Nintendo's up and coming franchises he is every bit of a fighter as Captain Olimar is. So Tom has many points going for him he is 1st party, represents a popular Nintendo Franchise, has the ability to be a fighter (look at a real racoon and tell me they can't hurt someone) and he could be the joke character I suppose. (SSB's was Jigglypuff and SSBM's was Pichu so for Brawl we need a new one for those attention seekers :p)

Not having any moves is an invalid point in SSB look at Captain Falcon and Fox yes we were told they were fighters but we never saw it and Tom could use random things (like G&W) and plus all animals have some sort of self defence mechanism in nature which could easily be incoperated.

Yes Animal Crossing deserves some representation and Tom Nook deserves to be the one who represents it. (along with an AC stage and some items)

I can easily think of some special moves based for Tom Nook (I would do more but I can't be stuffed :p) anywho here I go
B - Slingshot (from ACWW) - Tom slings a slingshot which can be charged by holding B
B > - Axe Swing - Tom pulls out the Golden Axe and swings it around in a similar fashion to Mario's Bv
B^ - Net - Tom pulls out the Golden Net which has a collection of butterflys in it, which propels him upwards then the butterflys fly out and he float's similar to Peach but for a shorter time Period
B v - Shovel Whack - Similar to Marth and Roy's B he pulls the golden shovel out and holds it back over his head and charges it for about 1 second
I'm sure the develepors would be more creative.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
xianfeng said:
Not having any moves is an invalid point in SSB look at Captain Falcon and Fox yes we were told they were fighters but we never saw it and Tom could use random things (like G&W) and plus all animals have some sort of self defence mechanism in nature which could easily be incoperated.
This counterexample runs into some problems though, when putting the characters professions into perspective:

C. Falcon = bounty hunter
Fox = fighter pilot/mercenary
Tom Nook = shopkeeper

As you can see, Ol' Nookie woulkd be in some serious trouble if pitted against the likes of our two aforementioned soldiers of fortune.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Lord_Deathborne said:
This counterexample runs into some problems though, when putting the characters professions into perspective:

C. Falcon = bounty hunter
Fox = fighter pilot/mercenary
Tom Nook = shopkeeper

As you can see, Ol' Nookie woulkd be in some serious trouble if pitted against the likes of our two aforementioned soldiers of fortune.
So what it doesn't matter what they say they do, Captain Falcon could have been a florist and Fox could have been a Nanny but they would still be in SSB because they are the mascots/heroes of an important nintendo franchise like Tom Nook.

yes he is...and he will be removed cuz he's a clone
my sig is for u
No he's a usless joke character and only attention seekers use him in tornments

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
xianfeng said:
So what it doesn't matter what they say they do, Captain Falcon could have been a florist and Fox could have been a Nanny but they would still be in SSB because they are the mascots/heroes of an important nintendo franchise like Tom Nook.
A florist as a destruction derby driver and a nanny as squadron leader... yeah... :ohwell:

And how is Tom Nook the hero/mascot of AC? He's the shopkeeper. In that regard, he's no better qualified than K.K. Slider...

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Lord_Deathborne said:
A florist as a destruction derby driver and a nanny as squadron leader... yeah... :ohwell:

And how is Tom Nook the hero/mascot of AC? He's the shopkeeper. In that regard, he's no better qualified than K.K. Slider...
He is the most well known AC character, Tom Nook is just as qualfied as Little Mac, Chibi Robo, Ray01, Captain Olimar and Isaac.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
xianfeng said:
He is the most well known AC character, Tom Nook is just as qualfied as Little Mac, Chibi Robo, Ray01, Captain Olimar and Isaac.
Except that all the others are MAIN characters, while Nookie is a SUPPORTING character - so no, he isn't...

EDIT: Yay! 500 posts!

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Pikachu isn't the main character of Pokemon either he's just the mascot like Tom Nook. Why wouldn't Tom be a good character I have prooven he can fight, he represents an important nintendo franchise and he is pretty **** popular (hence why he wasn't replaced)

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
xianfeng said:
Pikachu isn't the main character of Pokemon either he's just the mascot like Tom Nook. Why wouldn't Tom be a good character I have prooven he can fight, he represents an important nintendo franchise and he is pretty **** popular (hence why he wasn't replaced)
You left out the anime factor, in which he was arguably the main character, meriting the creation of his own version of the original GB games - Pokemon Yellow. K.K. Slider, at least in the begining, seemd more the AC mascot, if there was such a thing to begin with. And I wouldn't say he's pretty **** popular either - AC isn't that huge outside of Japan...

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Tom Nook would have the ultimate super, he would buy your opponent's soul (he probably could).

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Lord_Deathborne said:
You left out the anime factor, in which he was arguably the main character, meriting the creation of his own version of the original GB games - Pokemon Yellow. K.K. Slider, at least in the begining, seemd more the AC mascot, if there was such a thing to begin with. And I wouldn't say he's pretty **** popular either - AC isn't that huge outside of Japan...
It got heaps good reviews outside of Japan that's why I got it and K.K. Slider was only there at the start and saturdays. In Pokemon Yellow the trainer is still more important because Pikachu can be stored in a box and there is no anime factor.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
No anime factor? Even considering that the voices for Pikachu and Jigglypuff (and perhaps Mewtwo, though his audio was pretty bad in SSBM) were identical to the TV show? Plus, if not for the anime, then it would have been Squirtle, Charmander, or Bulbasaur as the the Pokemon reps. It is in fact because of the popularity of the anime that Pikachu and Jigglypuff got included at all.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Do you know why Pika and Jiggs were in the anime because they were popular in the games (same with Meowth, Ekans and Koffing) so even if there is an anime factor it is very small.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
May I again point again - Ikue Otani, the VA for Pikachu in the anime, is also the VA for Pikachu in the SSB series. Same with Rachael Lillis, the VA for Jigglypuff. They also retain their mannerisms from the anime. The anime helped mold the series we know today, so you can't say it had no impact on their inclusion in the game, or how they were potrayed...

xzakcorex

Smash Journeyman
Lord_Deathborne, I do agree with you in the fact that Pikachu and Jigglypuff were most likely included in the Smash series because of the anime, but I question what point you are trying to make in relation to Tom Nook? Though there is no AC anime, there IS an Animal Crossing movie coming out- as GenG pointed out- and it appears that Tom Nook is a character in that movie. Following your logic, this means that Tom Nook will have argueably the best chance at being included in Brawl of any Animal Crossing character because he is in the movie. To me, it just sounds like you're trying to prove and disprove your point at the same time.

Lord_Deathborne said:
And I wouldn't say he's pretty **** popular either - AC isn't that huge outside of Japan...
Though you may not consider it to be "huge," Animal Crossing (N64) has sold 2.24 million copies worldwide and Animal Crossing:WW has sold 4.44 million copies worldwide. A good chunk of both of those numbers ARE from America... and since when does a characters popularity in a certain part of the world dictate his or her chances of being in Brawl? Marth and Roy, anyone?

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
The Pokemon question kind of evolved into its own argument - admittedly off topic. And I am aware of the AC movie - but the difference is that the Pokemon Anime was part of the trojan horse that was Pokemania that swept the world over during the late'90s - early '00s. The AC movie is also likely to have much less effect on its respective series, as was the case with the short-lived F-Zero and Kirby anime series. Also, the AC we got was Animal Forest+ for the GC, as Animal Forest for the N64 was never released outside Japan - that's likely the version you meant. And of the 4.60 million (updated figure), 3.22 million (70%) was within the borders of Japan. Again not THAT popular outside Japan... It is a very successful franchise nontheless, but my point was should numbers/popularity be the sole basis for character representation? Nintendogs sold 6.93 million worldwide - does that merit a nintendog be included in the SSBB roster? While it is certain to get some sort of representation, it would make more sense that it be in the form of a stage or various items. Tom Nook could also run a shop where you can buy certain trophies, items, or whatever with the coins you earn in the game. If you really think about it, AC is not SSB material as far as playable characters are concerned - It falls in the same territory as wanting someone from The Sims as playable...

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
Lord_Deathborne said:
The Pokemon question kind of evolved into its own argument - admittedly off topic. And I am aware of the AC movie - but the difference is that the Pokemon Anime was part of the trojan horse that was Pokemania that swept the world over during the late'90s - early '00s. The AC movie is also likely to have much less effect on its respective series, as was the case with the short-lived F-Zero and Kirby anime series. Also, the AC we got was Animal Forest+ for the GC, as Animal Forest for the N64 was never released outside Japan - that's likely the version you meant. And of the 4.60 million (updated figure), 3.22 million (70%) was within the borders of Japan. Again not THAT popular outside Japan... It is a very successful franchise nontheless, but my point was should numbers/popularity be the sole basis for character representation? Nintendogs sold 6.93 million worldwide - does that merit a nintendog be included in the SSBB roster? While it is certain to get some sort of representation, it would make more sense that it be in the form of a stage or various items. Tom Nook could also run a shop where you can buy certain trophies, items, or whatever with the coins you earn in the game. If you really think about it, AC is not SSB material as far as playable characters are concerned - It falls in the same territory as wanting someone from The Sims as playable...
Any character could be SSB material. Saying he is not is being closed minded. They could easilly give him a movie set. It'd be an odd one, but since when is this game normal?

xzakcorex

Smash Journeyman
Lord_Deathborne said:
I wholeheartedly agree with the bolded statement- numbers should NOT be the sole basis for inclusion in Brawl. You are right, a Nintendog should not be only included because it is the reigning champ of DS sales; BUT, it could be included because it is a unique, and popular Nintendo character. The Nintendogs seem to be brought up quite frequently as "characters that could never work," but I don't believe that is true. Nintendo has done crazier things in the past... Capt. Falcon, for example.

I know that last part was not directly pertinent, but I was trying to prove my (and your) point- numbers shouldn't matter. In my opinion, there are two reasons characters are included in the Smash Bros. series: 1) The character is popular in one or any demographic/area and/or 2) Sakurai and his team see the potential in the character. If a character has both of those characteristics, I believe they have a very good chance of seriously being considered for inclusion. Tom Nook DOES have the popularity factor covered- even if he is admittedly not extremely popular out of Japan. The second factor is something that noone but Sakurai and his team have control over and arguing over whether Tom Nook should/could be in Brawl is pointless because it is ultimately up to the game producers to see Nook's potential.

Not directed at anyone, I just feel that it is stupid to argue over whether a character will/should be included because, honestly, we have absolutely NO idea what Sakurai is thinking.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Well, I don't think it's so stupid, considering that there is a limited number of roster spots available, and I would rather that they go to the main (which Nookie is not) characters of previously unrepresented series and a few left to strong supporting characters (which he might fall under) of its flagship franchises. I don't for a moment contend that he CAN'T be done - Sakurai is a miracle worker - but I would rather the spots go to characters more fitting to the SSB atmosphere. It suprises me that so many people are so up in arms over characters that seem to be fairly unlikable ones - like "I'm suing you for xxx Bells" Tom Nook and that mocking b****** of a dog from Duck Hunt... and let's not forget Tingle - sure he's getting his own game, but that doesn't make him any more likeable...

At any rate, I'm not going to argue any more, as I realize I can't get you guys to see the light...
Besides, I need to focus on more important matters - like finishing my final paper... >.<

kaid

Smash Master
I've never played AC (although I've seen my friends playing it) and I know who Tom Nook is. However, he's the only character I know the name of. I havn't even figured out what the Main character's name is.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
You choose what the main character looks like(by answering questions) and his name, so there isn't a real main character.

Tom Nook and Mr.Resetti represent the franchise best.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I may get flamed and sound crazy, but I'm all for Tom Nook in Brawl.

Animal-Xing needs a representative, and Tom Nook is a better choice than "Random Animl Crossing Human"

Top Bottom