• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tom Nook for SSBB: Far from Deconfirmed.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
zombie7775 said:
Tom Nook would be a waste of a character . His attacks would be stupid. Diddy and Dixie Kong are fillers just like Waluigi. They would be like DK but quicker and less powerfull.
I think someone is forgetting that Diddy and Dixie were the central characters at one point in the series, specifically Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest and Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble. I've even included the boxart:

All I'm saying is check your fact's before making such statements...

EDIT: I do, however, agree that Tom Nook is not one of the better suggestions out there...

bbb

Smash Champion
Zombie, you double double-posted! Anywho the thing is that Tom Nook is the best character to represent Animal Crossing which has been a successful franchise and is not to be over looked. I never really liked Totekeke because he's the one that told me my file was corrupted! :mad:

Also, how did we get onto Diddy and Dixie there for a second, I mean there are threads devoted to just them, so go there.

YESSSS! 100 posts!

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
Plan 9 said:
Zombie, you double double-posted! Anywho the thing is that Tom Nook is the best character to represent Animal Crossing which has been a successful franchise and is not to be over looked. I never really liked Totekeke because he's the one that told me my file was corrupted! :mad:
....Not every game needs representation you kno? or at least as a fighter. I cameo like a trophy or enviroment hazard is good enough. I never played the game, but it does sound like a good game. I just woudnt feel right, having a character who does not fight at all. But then your gonna counter me with the Cap Falcon and Fox thing. Falcon is a bounty hunter, therefor he has to have some fighting experince. Fox is a pilot, and i think every air force member must have some groung fighting skills for self defence. This is proven in Star Fox Assult and Adventures. Then Nook is....... a landowner. Most he could do is yell at you to fight. Plus, it would be hard to take the game seriously by having a raccoon with a apron as a top fighter (as its kinda hard to take the game seriously already. not by the game engine, but its characters.)

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
There are some serious issues concerning Nook's chances in SSBB:
1. Not a title character - which there is none in Animal Crossing as it is a life simulation game.
2. Not from an "action based" game.
3. He's a bloody store manager - would any of you want to play as YOUR manager? And is there anything to suggest that he is even capable of fighting? Hell, the stor owner from Link's Awakening stands a better chance (actually, he'd probably do just fine - ever try shoplifting from him? Scary...)
4. He regularly wears an apron... 'Nuff said...

Not saying that AC shouldn't get any representation in the game, just not as far as playable characters are concerned. By logic, it would be anagolous to suggesting Dr. Wright from Sim City, a Tetris tetrad, the Duck Hunt dog, etc. - all from series deserving representation, most likely as themed stages - as playables, which is just absurd...

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
1. Neither is Meta-Knight, Zamus, or Falco.
2. Neither is Captain Falcon
3. It doesn't matter what he does, he can still be included.
4. George Foreman, a legendary boxer of epic proportions, wore an apron as shown here.

Not really sure if I want him in, but I didn't agree with those points.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
1. Zamus IS Samus.
2. Metaknight (arch-rival) and Falco (main wingman) are strong-supporting characters from Nintendo's FLAGSHIP franchises.
3. Captain Falcon IS F-Zero's title character - something tells me you haven't played the games...
4. I guess I should have been a little more specific: He regularly wears a GIRLY apron.
How can you compare this...

TO THIS?

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
1. Pichu
2. Animal Crossing is a huge success, chances are it will eventually be considered a flagship title.
3. I was saying Captain Falcon didn't come from an action-based game, which was your original 3rd point.
4. The apron George is wearing doesn't look that much more manly than Nook's. It's just that George looks a lot more manly than Nook, because he's a man and Nook isn't.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
1. Pichu = Anomoly - but one soon to be remedied.
2. Still not a flagship title, and Nook is still not a STRONG supporting character - what makes his chances better than K.K. Slider?
3. How is combative racing not "action based"?
4. You said it yourself: Nook is not manly. Here is some further evidence:

I mean, he's as giddy as a freakin' school girl...

Pit 42

Smash Lord
I would rather have George Foreman as a fighter instead of Tom Nook. He could throw steaks at people saying "THIS IS THE STEAK OF YOUR DEMISE!!!", while all Tom Nook would do is pick someone's pocket.

bbb

Smash Champion
Lord_Deathborne said:
How can you compare this...

TO THIS?
OMGWTFBBQ, there is such a bizarre resemblence between the two. Who said Tom Nook had to be manly? I love quirky characters, the fact that he is a tanuki from a life simulation game only makes me want him in more! Besides he could wear his suit if the apron does not tickel your fancy. Also Tom Nook is about as close to a main character as AC has, because you do everything at his store, he essentialy owns everything in town and he hooks you up with yo crib n*gg*!

bbb

Smash Champion
I saw something on this movie in a different forum, and I have to see it!

SpitFire15

Smash Ace
Lord_Deathborne said:
1. Pichu = Anomoly - but one soon to be remedied.
2. Still not a flagship title, and Nook is still not a STRONG supporting character - what makes his chances better than K.K. Slider?
3. How is combative racing not "action based"?
4. You said it yourself: Nook is not manly. Here is some further evidence:

I mean, he's as giddy as a freakin' school girl...
After seeing how "giddy" Tom Nook looks, I'd have to say George Foreman would be a much better choice for Brawl.

bbb

Smash Champion
Lord_Deathborne said:
Now that I look at it I think the one on the right is one of Nook's sons. Sorry, it was just bothering me. (also thats the giddiest one)

xzakcorex

Smash Journeyman
Lord_Deathborne said:
There are some serious issues concerning Nook's chances in SSBB:
1. Not a title character - which there is none in Animal Crossing as it is a life simulation game.
2. Not from an "action based" game.
3. He's a bloody store manager - would any of you want to play as YOUR manager? And is there anything to suggest that he is even capable of fighting? Hell, the stor owner from Link's Awakening stands a better chance (actually, he'd probably do just fine - ever try shoplifting from him? Scary...)
4. He regularly wears an apron... 'Nuff said...
1. Exceptions to this rule: Bowser, Ganondorf, Zelda, Sheik, Falco, Mewtwo, Pichu, and Metaknight. Don't give me any of that "flagship title" B.S. You honestly can NOT say that Animal Crossing is any less a "flagship" than Star Fox- after all, Animal Crossing GCN sold 2.24 million copies, while Star Fox: Adventures sold only 1.85 million copies.

2. Exceptions to this rule: Doctor Mario (Tetris is no more action-based than a simulation game) and Game & Watch. Since when does Nintendo discriminate based upon what game(s) the characters come from? If they are a good candidate, it shouldn't matter if their previous games were "action-packed."

3. You're right, a store manager absolutely wouldn't fit into a game containing a giant turtle, a race car driver, a doctor, a giant monkey, two space animals, a flat man, a warlock, a team of spelunkers, two puffballs, four swordsmen (two of them being the same person in different time periods), plumbers, electric rats, a psychic boy, princesses, a female bounty hunter, a dinosaur, a genetic experiment gone wrong, and a ninja.

4. If George Foreman is man enough to wear an apron, then this arguement is moot. ...even if Nook's apron is slightly "less manly." Hell, I'd wear it.

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
LinkMoo said:
All will fear Tom Nook's low prices! They are too low! I'm dying! What a bargain!
This is my favourite post in the whole thread.

That pretty much sums up the ridiculousness of Tom Nook in SSBB...

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
xzakcorex said:
1. Exceptions to this rule: Bowser, Ganondorf, Zelda, Sheik, Falco, Mewtwo, Pichu, and Metaknight. Don't give me any of that "flagship title" B.S. You honestly can NOT say that Animal Crossing is any less a "flagship" than Star Fox- after all, Animal Crossing GCN sold 2.24 million copies, while Star Fox: Adventures sold only 1.85 million copies.

2. Exceptions to this rule: Doctor Mario (Tetris is no more action-based than a simulation game) and Game & Watch. Since when does Nintendo discriminate based upon what game(s) the characters come from? If they are a good candidate, it shouldn't matter if their previous games were "action-packed."

3. You're right, a store manager absolutely wouldn't fit into a game containing a giant turtle, a race car driver, a doctor, a giant monkey, two space animals, a flat man, a warlock, a team of spelunkers, two puffballs, four swordsmen (two of them being the same person in different time periods), plumbers, electric rats, a psychic boy, princesses, a female bounty hunter, a dinosaur, a genetic experiment gone wrong, and a ninja.

4. If George Foreman is man enough to wear an apron, then this arguement is moot. ...even if Nook's apron is slightly "less manly." Hell, I'd wear it.
1. You seem to have missed my point - I did not say that ONLY characters from flagship titles should be included, just not supporting ones, as there is very limited room on SSBB's roster. Oh, and using Star Fox Adventures as your counterpoint wans't smart on your part - as it is does not change the fact that it's one of Nintendo's flagship franchises. It would be like trying to prove the Mario franchise isn't that successful because of Mario is Missing - and as a sidenote Star Fox 64 is the best selling Shooting/Flight game EVER (4 million worldwide) with the original not far behind (2.99 million). I'm not saying that AC WON'T be, but it's not there YET - and even if it was, would you want a Nintendog (also from another possible future flagship series) as a playable?

2. Dr. Mario was simply used as an alternative look for Mario - with the exception of the pills, all his moves were the same as the standard Mario. And how could Game & Watch is not action based? Sure it may not be as explicit, but certainly such activities as keeping lions from escaping from their cages (Lion [1981]), avoiding an giant octopus' tentacles (Octopus [1981]), or leaping from a burning builing (Fire [1980]) would surely constitute as "action" one would think.

3. You pretty much shot yourself in the foot with that one - with the exception of the good doctor (which is STILL Mario, mind you), everyone you listed has either a combative profession/nature or has some sort of combative experience. The key word here is combat, be it skill or potential, which is as important an element as diversity. It may may of interest to note that Donkey Kong, The Legend of Zelda, and Mario Bros. have all appeared on the Game & Watch format. It was definently something worth representing - as the G&W LCD game series was the predessor to the GameBoy.

4. By all means, wear the apron. Post a nice pic of it too.

EDIT: Actually it is fairly likeky Tom Nook will be in the game, but most likely as some sort of NPC, like a store owner where you would spend the coins you earn or something. The most plausible suggestion I think.

GenG

Smash Lord
Lord_Deathborne said:
1. You seem to have missed my point - I did not say that ONLY characters from flagship titles should be included, just not supporting ones, as there is very limited room on SSBB's roster. Oh, and using Star Fox Adventures as your counterpoint wans't smart on your part - as it is does not change the fact that it's one of Nintendo's flagship franchises. It would be like trying to prove the Mario franchise isn't that successful because of Mario is Missing - and as a sidenote Star Fox 64 is the best selling Shooting/Flight game EVER (4 million worldwide) with the original not far behind (2.99 million). I'm not saying that AC WON'T be, but it's not there YET - and even if it was, would you want a Nintendog (also from another possible future flagship series) as a playable?
I don't know Lylat Wars/Starfox 64 sales pace but take a look at the ACWW ones:

In Japan, from November 05 to July 06: 3,125,500
In USA, from December 05 to May 06: 591,000
Total Worlwide: 3,716,000

A year hasn't passed and the game is reaching 4 million wordwide. Starfox took much more time, from 1997 to 1999. So AC is becoming lately a reckoning force and a cash cow for Nintendo.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
GenG said:
I don't know Lylat Wars/Starfox 64 sales pace but take a look at the ACWW ones:

In Japan, from November 05 to July 06: 3,125,500
In USA, from December 05 to May 06: 591,000
Total Worlwide: 3,716,000

A year hasn't passed and the game is reaching 4 million wordwide. Starfox took much more time, from 1997 to 1999. So AC is becoming lately a reckoning force and a cash cow for Nintendo.
I was using that number in context to the Shooter/Flight genre, which is HUGE considering that its a niche genre (outside of Japan, at least). AC is completely eclipsed by its genre leader The Sims. The point was that Star Fox is the genre leader, the sales figure was there just to emphasize that point.

And yes, AC is a force to be reckoned with, but its still not yet a "flagship" franchise, especially OUTSIDE of Japan...

Rebel

Smash Apprentice
Lord_Deathborne said:
EDIT: Actually it is fairly likeky Tom Nook will be in the game, but most likely as some sort of NPC, like a store owner where you would spend the coins you earn or something. The most plausible suggestion I think.
That'd be good with me-pretty cool actually.

Lishy

Smash Journeyman
nook's speciel should be either
a.Nagging you to death
b.Cheating you with continues loans
c.taking a cash register and beating the **** out of you grand theft auto vice city style
d.comboing you with all golden items

Lishy

Smash Journeyman
maybe he can throw bells everywere like the pokemon attack "pay day"

xianfeng

Smash Hero
zombie7775 said:
You are too obsessed with the DK series this isnt even a section for talking about DK and Diddy and whoever else no one cares about. If you wernt so single minded maybe you would see that he wouldn't be a good character to have on the game.
your an idiot how woulhe not be good are unique, popular, important characters bad?

zombie7775

Smash Lord
I think that he shouldnt be a playable character but be where you get trophies or whatever they decide for Brawl. He can run his store like on Animal Crossing and you can get things from him.
Example:
If you unlock a new character you can be sent to his shop and he tells you and then you fight the character you unlocked.

Or he can present you with a new stage that you can now fight on in vs. mode.

MonkeyMan

Smash Journeyman
how bout instead of Tom having the actual Animal crossing guy/girl? his/her grab could be the fishing rod, and when he has you in a grab he can shake you like a tree! haha. net could catch projectiles and the shovel could be kinda like peaches down B except it could damage close range. the axe could be like kirbys hammer on the ground and a meteor in the air. smash attacks not too sure off. guess up smash he could use that umbrella! i mean tom's cool in all, but the playable character from that game would be cool too. think of all the different skins! i dunno i'd like to see either

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
They don't have names though. You could easilly give Tom Nook any move the people could have since he sells those items to you.

Top Bottom