• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Today, Melee is 10 years old...

john!

Smash Hero
super smash bros. melee was released in japan on november 21, 2001. happy 10th birthday!

nobody then could have imagined that it would develop into the hugely competitive game that it is today.

i recall first playing melee at my friend's house after he got it for christmas back in 2001 (i didn't even own a gamecube yet :(). my first match was as kirby vs. his samus (our ssb64 mains) on fountain of dreams. after a few months, i realized that kirby sucked, so i switched to falco.

and it was a HUGE deal when we finally unlocked mr. game and watch! i'm pretty sure we had to challenge him at least three times before we finally beat him.

of course, i thought i was pretty damn good back in the day, but being the best player in a group of middle schoolers isn't exactly a huge accomplishment.

what are your earliest memories of melee? who were your first mains?

Beat!

Smash Master
Earliest memory: Playing Kirby in FFAs and spamming down-B from high up in the sky. Best strat ever.

First main: Falco

10 years and still going. This game ****ing rocks.

LowCarbs

Smash Cadet
I remember Ness being my first main back in the first game. When melee came out, I was really excited to play him again. I had no idea what Earthbound was, but he was still my favorite character, and Onett and Fourside were my favorite stages.

mhenlo

Smash Apprentice
When the game first came out i picked Roy and i just walked around in FFA F Smashing people then more F Smashes

I used Link a lot. Ocarina of time does that to a person. Umm... I recall hating lv 9 fox because jab -> jab -> jab messed me up so bad. It still does.

Life

Smash Hero
Got it in... early 2002 I want to say? I was a little kid then, so I don't remember much, but I loved me some M2/Roy/GnW and eventually YL.

Nowadays I play high tiers.... <.<

ERayz

Smash Journeyman
Earliest memory of Melee was when I saw a playable demo on a Gamecube setup in a Wal-Mart.

I picked Kirby or Link (can't remember) and the settings were set on FFA, items on (lol), random map (played on Great Bay), 2 minutes time limit. I didn't like the game at first, cause I felt the sound effects made the attacks look ineffective, compared to those bowling sounds from SSB64.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
First time i played was in 2003 - My parents FINALLY decided to buy me a gamecube, and we got melee. First person i played was my sister, she picked Kirby (obviously) and i picked ice climbers. 2 cpus. We played our first matches on Mute City

my sister complained that i kept sideb'ing lolololololol

Varist

Smash Lord
holy ****, really?

i thought it was in December. Today is actually my Birthday too. Omen, I'm too good. birthday prophecy.

offer me praise for this strange incident, it is too coincidental to be just a coincidence.

bolt.

Smash Ace
Playing this game back in the day was awesome. I used link and didn't understand why sometimes up b would be on the ground and sometimes it would be in the air. =/ Hyrule and corneria were the best stages back then. Good times!

Tekk

Smash Lord
Dear Melee

You are everything that's beautiful in this world, I love you with all my heart.

Sincerely,
A rondoudou player. <3

a nub

Smash Ace
I first played it when my cousin showed me his gamecube around summer 2002 and ****ed myself when I saw mewtwo was in it. Once I got my own gamecube I played it all the time even before I started playing competitively, good times

:phone:

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I still remember the first Melee match I ever played. It was a FFA on Mute City and I was Yoshi. I have no idea what the date was but it was sometime before March 2002.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I was the **** at 64 as a 6 year old, played samus, so I mained him (I thought it was a him) in melee too.

A weird kid I barely knew had a gamecube in like... 2002? and we played 1v1's items off on FD because we were awesome. Then my weird next-door neighbor had it, and we played items ffa's on hyrule because we weren't. then I didn't play for 6 years or something.

I think I camped and charged shots a lot and then tried to hit people with dairs when I couldn't fire THA CANNON.

Bing

Smash Master
The First Time I played Melee Was a Year and a Half ago, Summer of 2010, I used Marth and Falco(Mostly Falco) My First Main was Falco, then Jiggs, then Mario/Luigi, then Marth, now were at Falco/Fox and I think imma stay here for awhile XD

Lukahn

Smash Apprentice
Dear Melee

You are everything that's beautiful in this world, I love you with all my heart.

Sincerely,
A rondoudou player. <3
Rondoudou <3 Ahhhh.

Well, I remember having it on the day it came out.
We kinda locked ourselves with my brothers 'till we unlocked everything in the game.
Soooo much fun I'll never ever ****ing have with another game.

First Main. Marth.

Stevo

Smash Champion
I skipped school to play melee when it first came out.

first thing I did was play through adventure mode with bowser.

At the time I thought the graphics were great.

Still have version 1.0 from then.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i have a vague memory of renting the game and using zelda/sheik and thinking sheik was bad for some reason. (i think i was just doing the missions but this memory sticks out).

Later when i started playing with friends my first main was link, until i tried marth for the first time and realized just f-smashing with marth was better then my link lol.

D

Deleted member

I tried a 2 minute match at a station at Kmart. I picked fox (ssb64 char) and i barely beat a lv 5 link. :)

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
haha, the first time I played this game... must have been in 2002 or 2003.
My parents made me go visit their friend's son and he happened to have a gamecube with melee.

We started playing on random stages and I used samus (because she looked cool), then we unlocked marth and roy later and we started using them (he picked roy and I picked marth), then he told me to use ness because Ness's upB was broken to us back then xD

then I played smash casually with my friends, spaming luigi's sideB and such, until brawl came out. and we played that for a bit, tried to get serious with it, realized it was horrible, then got serious in melee. Now I'm where I am now ^^

I'd like to thank Sakurai for making brawl. Without brawl, I'd never have realized how awesome melee really is.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Lol, I remember getting my gcube+melee for christmas that year. Mained ness cause I had no idea how to unlock him in 64 and he was the only character I didn't have. (Played ness on a friend's n64 and loved him, nobody remembered how they got him though.) I secondary'd marth when I unlocked him for that fsmash/neutralB spam. Then I switched to roy cause "he was a direct upgrade from marth" rofl

I still remember winning those kiddy tournaments back in the day (at least I always made sure items were off, even as a scrub) cause Ness' pk fire -> fsmash combo was OVERPOWERED and *****es didn't know bout my pk thunder spam.

I'd like to thank Sakurai for making brawl. Without brawl, I'd never have realized how awesome melee really is.
Quoted for the truth. I literally got so frustrated with brawl cause I'd play online with one of my friends and he'd be scrubbing it up, rolling around spamming smashes and **** while I was trying to learn to play high tier characters well and play professionally. (mainly DDD) Though I was consistently better and won more, it still pissed the crap out of me that he'd win sometimes with those stupid gimmicks. I went to smash 64 giving up on brawl completely, playing puff. Then I moved onto melee and fell in love. <3 Also, I beat the **** out of that same friend in melee by spamming falcon's knee to express my frustration with him and his brawl.

Hydro_Smasher

Smash Journeyman
I saved up cash for a year when I was 8 in 2003, bought a cube and got me some melee. Originally played Link and Falco and Samus for a while, stopped playing for a while after I lost all my charecter data. Picked the game up in late 2008 after I saw wombo combo on youtube when I was 13, then I played the heck out of this game working my AT's into my brain so well I could play in my sleep.

I love this game.

Windrose

Smash Lord
F u guys. I first touched this game for the very first time ever in 2009 ...

i bought a gc so i could play this game for 20$

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I remember playing Melee for the first time before it was released. It was a demo station at Toys R Us. Being the huge fan of Smash 64 that I was, I checked it out. I read in Nintendo Power that Zelda could transform into Sheik, the "awesome ninja from Ocarina of Time", so she was the first character I used.

"So fast! So strong!"

10 years later, my initial impressions of Sheik seem to still hold true :laugh:

Top Bottom