• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Today, Melee is 10 years old...

CowboyFromHell

Smash Apprentice
I played once at a set-up in a Gamestop for the first time. I hadn't even known at the time that they had released another one. I quickly persuaded my little brother to ask for it for his birthday, as it was only a week away. Sooo we got it and I promptly stole it from him and I no-lifed it for awhile.

I mostly mained DK and Marth when I first started playing.
I used to go over to my neighbor's house every day after school and play it with him and another buddy of ours for hours at a time, this is where i discovered my love of Luigi and Jigglypuff. Good times

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
First time playing it was in a Wal-Mart demo, where I was Bowser, and I was fighting on Peach's Castle with some other kids. I most likely won, because I am epic. After I got it, my first main was prolly DK. I love this game. I think I got it in January 2002. When my brother said he was gonna unlock Mr. Game and Watch, I thought they were 2 separate characters, as in, one was Mr. Game, the other one was Watch. :?:

I wanna go to a tourney, they look fun!

L7Junkie

Smash Apprentice
My first memory is me playing the demo in Best Buy. I was about 9 or 10. I played against this like 7 or 8 year old Asian kid. He picked Kirby, I picked Bowser. We played on Pokemon Stadium. Don't even think the stage changed since it was the demo. I won decisively. After the match, he told me I was pretty good. Thought I was the greatest smasher in the world, lol.

And I think my first REAL main was Roy. Can't remember though.

Frame Perfect

Smash Journeyman
ugh, i forgot my controller's 7th birthday... happy belated. we'll do something special next year

my earliest memories were of watching my two buddies who were better than me fireball and pill each other for 8 minutes until i learned wavedashing. original pika main in the midst.

Planet Piss

Smash Journeyman
I got Melee in February of 2002, and got hooked immediately. At least on single player mode. I didn't really play anyone else, and I would just sit in my room, collecting trophies. I remember going to a couple of Game Crazy tournaments within the first four years of the game's release.

I used to play a broke-*** mother****ing Samus. I had invented this combo that went like utilt bair Charge Shot, and I would practice it all day in my room. When I arrived at the store for the tournament, the store was filled with maybe 50+ participants, but there was only one TV. It was about seven feet off the ground, so you had to stand looking up while you played/watched. Single elim, and two-minute time matches with items. Every match was on Kanto. I easily pushed my way past round one by taking the lead and camping for a minute or so until the timer ran out and I won. I was too good. But then I lost to a Ganon in round 2.

God, I remember the hype when I had my Charged b ready to go, and he was just standing there. I stood on one side of the stage, staring him down. Ten or so seconds pass. I fire. He shields. The crowd is going ****ing insane. Correction: He was too good. I hope he won that day because he deserved it.

Never did get to use that combo.

And later, I switched to down b Jigglypuff.

kevo

Smash Journeyman
Gosh, I've never seen that before. Seeing the crowd react to characters being announced sent a chill down my spine. I'm still feeling it. Damn. Can you imagine what must have gone through their heads while they were seeing that for the first time?

I played Melee for the first time when there used to be videogame setups at department stores to entertain kids while their mom shopped. Man, my Kirby cleared All Star Mode like a boss. I couldn't imagine using other characters -- how would you get back to the stage if you were knocked away?

KingofCereal

Smash Journeyman
It took some thinking but I can actually remember the first time i played. It's strange because other games that influenced my childhood (THPS, Mariokart) i can't remember as clearly. It was against IC's on Infinite Glacier. Don't remember who I picked, but I remember losing badly and wanting to go skateboard. Now it's the opposite.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Happy Tenth Anniversary Melee. (USA and Canada)

Today marks the release of SSBM in the USA and Canada 10 years later. Happy Anniversary to the greatest game on earth.

Top Bottom