• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad parade - Oh boy it's Els--- I mean, Rosalina

What do you think will happen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe.

But hey, that's why Sakurai's praised always: he always does the unexpected. I guess it's the norm for any successful developer anyway.

Maybe we'll see his additions as much better than what our newcomer wishes ever were.
He does unexpected things which is why I'm still gonna keep my eyes sharp and open (Despite knowing he's impossible-ish/notrly).

Oh and by the way, Sakurai's in charge of balancing the game. My reaction's the same as Hab/Xeno's.

Mewtwo's bottom tier :troll:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
This has been one big flashback back to when Brawl was just released in Japan. K. Rool silhouette found as an unlockable trophy under Challenges, Ridley as a boss, Mewtwo not on the final roster. It just sucks.
We are only a year away from basically knowing the entire roster. I expect Smash 4 to be released during Q4 2014.

Next year is going to be the one where some dreams are fulfilled, while many are crushed and broken.

Toad fans unfortunately just happened to be the first ones hit with the de-confirmation stick this time around.

Speaking of de-confirmations, Sakurai has not shown a single Assist Trophy so far. I wonder if they will even return this time. I am sure that if they do return, they are going to be a random pic of the day that ends up confusing people they its a newcomer (especially with the increased model detail that is possible with Smash 4 Wii U).

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
We are only a year away from basically knowing the entire roster. I expect Smash 4 to be released during Q4 2014.

Next year is going to be the one where some dreams are fulfilled, while many are crushed and broken.

Toad fans unfortunately just happened to be the first ones hit with the de-confirmation stick this time around.

Speaking of de-confirmations, Sakurai has not shown a single Assist Trophy so far. I wonder if they will even return this time. I am sure that if they do return, they are going to be a random pic of the day that ends up confusing people they its a newcomer (especially with the increased model detail that is possible with Smash 4 Wii U).
Assist Trophies should be revealed till release, I don't want anyone to be sad that their character is deconfirmed very early.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Possibly. But if they wouldn't return, I might like it. No more trolling and breaking more newcomer wishes and even then some characters being portrayed as weaker and punier than they actually are (Starfy).

I still wish we'd get summonable Assists instead of inbalanced Pokeball knockoffs from Brawl.

Assist trophies are like... um... automatic death sentence. Like a zombie bite (?).

It's scary as HELL.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Possibly. But if they wouldn't return, I might like it. No more trolling and breaking more newcomer wishes and even then some characters being portrayed as weaker and punier than they actually are (Starfy).

I still wish we'd get summonable Assists instead of inbalanced Pokeball knockoffs from Brawl.
I think Sakurai has only scratched the surface about Smash 4. The veteran confirmations have been nice (as well as rare new stage or item confirmations we get), but the real meat about what Smash 4 has to offer is going to happen in 2014 (and maybe not until after E3 2014).

Hopefully we get another veteran confirmation tonight to offset the disappointment we had this morning.

DPSnumber1

Smash Rookie
I haven't lost hope yet. This picture doesn't confirm or deconfirm anything.
Sakurai just doesn't want to reveal newcomers in these updates. Maybe he wants to reveal newcomers on big events or in important nintendo directs.

I still believe that Captain Toad or the Blue Toad has great chances to be in a smash game.
For me toad has become one of the most important characters in the mario series for the last years and Sakurai can't waste this oportunity.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I haven't lost hope yet. This picture doesn't confirm or deconfirm anything.
Sakurai just doesn't want to reveal newcomers in these updates. Maybe he wants to reveal newcomers on big events or in important nintendo directs.

I still believe that Captain Toad or the Blue Toad has great chances to be in a smash game.
For me toad has become one of the most important characters in the mario series for the last years and Sakurai can't waste this oportunity.

I think I need to get out from here for a while.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Assist trophies are like... um... automatic death sentence. Like a zombie bite (?).

It's scary as HELL.
Going to be scary for all characters. It's going to be quite scary for us Ridley supporters especially, since Ridley was apparently meant as an Assist Trophy in Brawl at one point.

Going to be scary for all characters. It's going to be quite scary for us Ridley supporters especially, since Ridley was apparently meant as an Assist Trophy in Brawl at one point.
Take that back. It's like checking if you passed your college exam.

Well, it's not as important. I mean, Smash 4 isn't as important as your future but--- You get the comparison.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
I think Sakurai has only scratched the surface about Smash 4. The veteran confirmations have been nice (as well as rare new stage or item confirmations we get), but the real meat about what Smash 4 has to offer is going to happen in 2014 (and maybe not until after E3 2014).

Hopefully we get another veteran confirmation tonight to offset the disappointment we had this morning.
Chronobound just curious of your opinion on this, but do you think its possible that smash is going to be like soul calibur. In that they rapidly expanded the roster over the first 3-4 games. BUt then for the later games they only added 3-4 characters.

I honestly see this happening this time. The longer and longer this goes the more it seems to me there will only be 5-7 newcomers.

If you believe the leak, what if Villager, WFT, Megaman, Little Mac, Mii's and Pakman, are the only newcomers in the game.

I honestly don't think we are getting 10+ newcomers for this smash. Especially now that some of the best candidates are "likely" not in the game like Ridley and Toad.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Look on the bright side. Everyone who wasn't a Toad supporter has one less slot being competed for. My condolences to you folks though.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
For those of you who still have hope, not to crush that hope, but if the Blue Toad were in the game, don't you think he would've been in the screenshot today instead of the original Toad? It would've made a lot more sense.

Just face it. Toad is out. You're saving yourself the disappointment.

For those of you who still have hope, not to crush that hope, but if the Blue Toad were in the game, don't you think he would've been in the screenshot today instead of the original Toad? It would've made a lot more sense.

Just face it. Toad is out. You're saving yourself the disappointment.
Unless Sakurai's saving the surprise.

Oh wait, no. Never mind

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
It is disappointing that the Big Eight from Mariokart 64 are not all playable. But all are in the game.

I thought that after seeing the creative movesets for the Villager and Wii Fitness trainer, Toad would have a shot.

But in any case, the new Mario game has a playable Toad, so not all is lost for the fans.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I wanna puke.
Sakurai isn't fit to make this series.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You want to puke because a character that wasn't a shoe in in the first place didn't get in?

You need to lower your standards. Even if Ridley, K.Rool and one or two other big characters don't get in, I'm still going to buy the game.

I mean I understand he was one of your most wanted characters, but Toad was never a highly likely character.

You want to puke because a character that wasn't a shoe in in the first place didn't get in?

You need to lower your standards. Even if Ridley, K.Rool and one or two other big characters don't get in, I'm still going to buy the game.

I mean I understand he was one of your most wanted characters, but Toad was never a highly likely character.
He was moderately likely imo.

Regardless, I'm still buying this game (Still have no Wii U so... um... for now no :p)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Honestly I'm fairly sure that wasn't serious. Just a disappointed snark.

Edit: Oh, excellent! 1000 posts! WHAT A CONFLICTING DAY.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Don't get me wrong. I personally think Toad was THE Mario character to pick. But if he has been shown twice as Peach's meat shield, then he is simply going to be Peach's meat shield. Don't grasp at straws, it just makes things worse.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
SSB4 shall be my last Smash-game I truly follow now though. Like, the very last one.

Because at this rate, the roster won't really change. Just the gameplay, presentation and eras. Unless we get flavour-of-the-years and some new characters from new IPs that prove to be succesful.

Don't get me wrong. I personally think Toad was THE Mario character to pick. But if he has been shown twice as Peach's meat shield, then he is simply going to be Peach's meat shield. Don't grasp at straws, it just makes things worse.
Nothing to grasp on at this point

Ah well

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
And now the eternal silence for this topic shall commense in few days as it plunges down to the depths of the Character Discussion Board.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481

I want to puke because an all-star didn't get in. I want to puke because Toad deserved to get in. I believe this is objective, It has nothing to do with me wanting Toad. I don't think this about most characters. I want Dillon to get in, but I don't think he deserves to.
Ridley deserves to get in. He probably won't either. My point is Sakurai clearly has forgotten the point of Smash Brothers.

And now the eternal silence for this topic shall commense in few days as it plunges down to the depths of the Character Discussion Board.

So I heard that Toad was conifrmed as a character in Smash bros 4 via Miiverse from Sakurai
I want to puke because an all-star didn't get in. I want to puke because Toad deserved to get in. I believe this is objective, It has nothing to do with me wanting Toad. I don't think this about most characters. I want Dillon to get in, but I don't think he deserves to.
Ridley deserves to get in. He probably won't either. My point is Sakurai clearly has forgotten the point of Smash Brothers.
Deserve and objective aren't really on the same boat

Edit: Did you see Jim Sterling's objective review of Final Fantasy XIII? Yeeeah. That's a good example (Funny ****)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

I don't think it's that entirely. He just didn't view them as worthy of a spot, or found them a better place in the game. Incase meatshield and (potential) boss/stage hazard status.

At the end, our views of a playable character /=/ Sakurai's. And usually from gameplay and direction standpoint, he's right because HE IS the one doing the game, not us fans. (And basically that it's his game)
At the end, the only character that ever got in by any huge fan demand is Sonic.

Maybe there's a valid reason why Toad can't be a playable- in anycase I don't believe it's any sort of bias.

At the end, our views of a playable character /=/ Sakurai's. And usually from gameplay and direction standpoint, he's right because HE IS the one doing the game, not us fans. (And basically that it's his game)
One more thing

Sakurai doing things that we didn't predict or see coming=/=Trolling

Sakurai DOES NOT troll

For the.... 7th time?

Well yeah, he does what he feels is the proper direction for the game. Might as well ride along. For now, this thread will probably have some long-ass posts on why Toad is anything but likely for Smash 4. Probably about his moveset potential being zero or 9000 or him being generic.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I don't think it's that entirely. He just didn't view them as worthy of a spot, or found them a better place in the game. Incase meatshield and (potential) boss/stage hazard status.

At the end, the only character that ever got in by any huge fan demand is Sonic.

Maybe there's a valid reason why Toad can't be a playable- in anycase I don't believe it's any sort of bias.
How on Earth is being a stage hazard/meat shield better than being playable?
What I'm saying has nothing to do with fan demand.
TOAD IS AN ALL STAR. This is beyond reproach or debate. Smash is a nintendo all-star crossover. Therefore not putting Toad in at this point in the series is inexcusable.

How on Earth is being a stage hazard/meat shield better than being playable?
It's definitely not better. Believe me. Sometimes, what's right is better than what's better.

Not saying that Toad not being playable is not right. In fact it's WRONG (Or questionable at the least)

But everything happening right now is definitely beyond me

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
@Zzuxon

Again, what Sakurai decides on is what he deems as right. It doesn't always matter what we want. Considering he is the one who is choosing the character, it should be assumed until it is seen as different that Sakurai found somebody who he felt should get in over Toad.

And there really is nothing we can do about it, so there isn't any reason to get too upset.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
@Zzuxon

Again, what Sakurai decides on is what he deems as right. It doesn't always matter what we want. Considering he is the one who is choosing the character, it should be assumed until it is seen as different that Sakurai found somebody who he felt should get in over Toad.

And there really is nothing we can do about it, so there isn't any reason to get too upset.

Basically.

Maybe it could be due more "accurate" character presentation (Toad is Peach's servant and fits humorously as her meatshield due being a spore-spewing shroom and a "bodyguard").

Maybe the view/opinion that Toad/Ridley don't fit as a fighter (Other only helps Mario and is generally cowardly to help Peach full-on like the Mario Bros do. Another is just too---- wait for it- intimidating and badass boss to be downscaled as a playable, which could take away it's appeal)

The resources to reserve on characters the team is more willing to work with enthutiasm. And last but most likely that Toad (and/or Ridley) isn't viewed as a worthy of a fighter over someone who could make make Smash Bros feel "unique" and "full of surprises" instead of just "full of expectations." moreso than Toad.

Remember, due this all above we got Wii Fit Trainer over Toad. That's what Smash Bros seems to be more in Sakurai's eyes. We just need to roll with it, or just move on. At the end, it's pointless to whine as we're not the ones behind the game's character choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom