• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad parade - Oh boy it's Els--- I mean, Rosalina

What do you think will happen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Nowadays, I seem to wonder about Toad's chances. Being stuck in the shadows of the Toad species isn't exactly a good sign, but at least he has tried to be helpful to Mario in the mainstream games that he has appeared in, even after switching to a red vest, and eventually becoming the Toad Brigade captain.

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
It's probably too early to reveal a newcomer now even with these big holiday titles coming out. Sakurai probably wants to save the new characters until all the veterans (minus the expected Mewtwo because he's a different story) have been revealed. That way, he'll be able to show a batch of new characters at next year's E3 with fancy reveal cutscenes of their own.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Ironically, Krystal almost had her own franchise. But Miyamoto had to turn it into a Star Fox game, instantly rendering Krystal unimportant.
Yeah, miyamotos weird decision.
I still dont get it, people hate the game because of that, and because people hate it we may never see another SFA again... no body wins here :/

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Nowadays, I seem to wonder about Toad's chances.
Shot down as soon as his role was a meat shield again.

Don't care if there are multiple species, if you're honestly expecting a character that is thrown in with the same exact role as previous installments to suddenly have an amazing chance, I simply don't know what to say.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Don't care if there are multiple species, if you're honestly expecting a character that is thrown in with the same exact role as previous installments to suddenly have an amazing chance, I simply don't know what to say.
Expecting Toad to have an amazing chance?
Nope. No one expects him as a shoo-in or even close, not even here. There's a difference between what we want and what we expect though. We want a playable Toad. We don't expect him.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
People are always saying Sakurai is unpredictable. I guess there's one thing Sakurai is predictable about, it is that Sakurai will always have Toad as part of Peach's moveset. :rolleyes:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
People are always saying Sakurai is unpredictable. I guess there's one thing Sakurai is predictable about, it is that Sakurai will always have Toad as part of Peach's moveset. :rolleyes:

That's what he wants you to think :crazy:

D

Deleted member

Nowadays, I seem to wonder about Toad's chances. Being an American-made concept while in reality just being a generic Toad given a fabricated label isn't exactly a good sign, but at least the species as a whole has been going strong, with one actually being individualized as Captain Toad of the Toad Brigade.
Fixed for accuracy.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
@YoshiandToad:
Blue Toad is also a "Toad named Toad" because of 3D World.
As is Yellow Toad on technicality, since the "Blue" and "Yellow" monikers are used to tell the two apart in label.
Gonna post this here Golden if that's okay, since it's appropriate here more than Roster Thread and it's actually something I'm kind of interested in.

So my question is rather than a Toad called Toad being a specific Toad(which we've established isn't a thing outside of an Americanization) would Blue Toad, Yellow Toad and Captain Toad be counted as individual characters themselves?

Or is presuming "Blue Toad" from NSMBWii the same in NSMBWiiU, LuigiU is the same one as in SM3DWorld a stretch?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Yep. Still quite divisive on should I keep on supporting Toad after an actual confirmation that he won't be ever getting out of the spot as the Neutral B. It's sad but currently there's nothing except hopeful exaggarations pointing that he seems to still have a chance (whether due certain circumstances indicated as possible ways of giving Toad still a way to be playable. Spirit Tracks Link /=/ Toon Link is hard to apply on Toad's situation as we're talking about a newcomer here who has shown to stay in the same role as in last games.) And signs pointing to Rosalina being at least more likely newcomer to be revealed might just drive my point even further.

I'm not trying to make you guys give up here but I'm just stating what I truly think about this scene. I think I already moved on hoping for Toad as a playable after Peach's reveal and mostly have been flailing here for potential reasons on why he might be back. Yet things seem even more to show that Toad just wasn't even considered on the roster before this game's full-on development (unless you guys truly hit a bullseye and Sakurai just pulled our hair all time long just to make Toad's reveal more satisfying.)

But at the end, we'll see. Who knows, perhaps I'm just being swept by all kinds of things going on lately. They can be instantly different after some period of time.

D

Deleted member

@YoshiandToad
For continuity's sake, Captain Toad is an individual character. Much like the bandana Waddle Dee in Kirby.
They both stand out from others in their species despite not having their own names.

Blue Toad and Yellow Toad are more up to debate, but at the very least, they are the same Toads in NSMBU as the ones in NSMBW for example.
It wouldn't be a stretch to say that Bluey is the same one in 3D World too considering the courageous personality that is shown in both games that is a very rare trait in a Toad.
But at the same time, it would be harder to determine if they were the same blue and yellow Toads that appeared in Mario Party 9, 3D Land, etc.
Though it can safely be said that Blue Toad and Yellow Toad of NSMBW/U are not the same Blue Toad (who wears glasses and is rather brainy) and Yellow Toad (who is very lazy) of the Toad Brigade from the Galaxy games.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

I agree, though Sakurai did say her moves would be (may be?) refreshed. It's interest because he only mentioned it for her. It could be nothing, but there is a slim chance. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I also have to ask about the Toad as an American concept. Feel free to just quote a previous post.

D

Deleted member

I would if I could directly quote posts on this effing computer.

Someone else gonna have to do it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
And if we're looking for a name to give to the character we just call toad (Red Cap, Blue Jacket) let's call him Mushroom Retainer. He's deconfirmed.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
And if we're looking for a name to give to the character we just call toad (Red Cap, Blue Jacket) let's call him Mushroom Retainer. He's deconfirmed.
Seems fair to me. Well, he'd probably be a palette swap if we got ol' Buckenberry(Blue as he's better known) or Captain Toad, but we could count 'Mushroom Retainer' as deconfirmed.

Now back to the Toad is not a character thing.

Whilst I don't doubt Golden on this, it opens up a LOT of quesions regarding Toad(and others previously considered the representive of their species):

Is SMB2 and Wario Woods 'Toad' the same Toad? Is it also the same Toad from the Mario Kart series that partners with Toadette...are the playable Toads within that series the same Toads even? If Toadette is a character but Toad is not, how comes she's the lesser half of the partnership? Surely the character should take preference over the random member of the species? Why are some Toads characters (Toadsworth, Toadette) and others (Blue, Yellow, Mushrom Retainer) just mere species members? Why do Blue, Yellow and Mushroom Retainer appear as playable more than the two Toad characters?
When Koizumi and Iwata had that interview and said that Toad is becoming an appealing character does that mean this Toad, aka Blue, is a character in and of himself, or is he merely a representation of his species again? Why DIDN'T they make an overarching Toad for that matter in the same way they did for Yoshi or Kamek? Where did this popularized Kino Vs, Kinopio idea of seperation come from?

Is Kamek a character actually, or merely a member of his species? Is his seperation from his species also a westernised idea or is he and the other Magikoopa merely all 'Kamek' in Japan?

Heck on a similar note; is the Birdo in SMB2 even the same as the one who partners with Yoshi in Double Dash and Mario Tennis? Is Birdo even classed a character or is s/he too just a random member of their species?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So, who else is getting Super Mario 3D World this Friday?

Oh god, I am actually dreading what might happen on Friday... Prepare for the worst, hope for the best...

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

Oh god, I am actually dreading what might happen on Friday... Prepare for the worst, hope for the best...

not me, but thats cause its not out here till the following friday

luckily a link between worlds is

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

This is what will happen Friday: You will get Super Mario 3D World on friday. You will play it. You will play Toad. You will let me know how amazing it is. I will get even more hyped. I will wish I could get my Wii U before July next year. I will make plans to meet my friends the following wednesday and I will force them to buy this game.
That is what will be happening on Friday.

Nothing Smash related will probably occur regarding Toad or Rosalina though. Or any other Mario character. (Probably)

(Maybe we'll get Falcon or Zelda though next week)

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Moment of truth, when either Toads chances are done or hes revealed. But unfortunately I doubt a reveal. H

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Moment of truth, when either Toads chances are done or hes revealed. But unfortunately I doubt a reveal. H
Actually I'd probably say he's only done if Rosalina, Waluigi or Bowser Jr. get shown this week. Or when they do in the future. I also doubt a reveal this week for any Mario newcomer as both Zelda and Falcon have reasons to show up instead. But I could be wrong!

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Not really. There's still until the day the entire roster is leaked. Us guessing reveals doesn't really change much unless the character is very circumstantial, like Wonder Red for instance.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'd say if Toad IS playable, he'll be the blue one. I'm honestly not holding my breath tho.
I'm mostly wondering if Captain Toad could work as an Assist Trophy somehow? Maybe the new Starfy, where he just walks around a bit? :p
I personally think people underrate the blue Toad's chances, but that's just me.

This list is only including the Mario characters that have not appeared in a playable form or as an assist trophy before. We have the likes of the Goomba and the Koopa Troopa (and the other billion small enemies that I'm not listing), Birdo (my personal favorite pick), Rosalina, Kamek, King Boo, Prof. E Gadd, Boom Boom, the Koopalings, Nabbit, Kammy Koopa, Daisy, Toadsworth, Fawful, and Dry Bowser (and more oddball characters like Metal Mario and the Queen Bee) that all are at least fairly easy to make into an assist trophy and which make more sense than Toad (in my opinion). I just don't see any toad as an assist trophy. I may not be looking at it right, but I just don't.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Regarding today's update...

I'm sorry Toad fans, but I think it's time to call it quits....

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Welp, that sucks.

Call me when Smash 5 gets announced. Or Yoshi.

Sakurai is a ****.
I feel your pain. I don't know what Sakurai is thinking. Toad is probably the most well-known and iconic character from a veteran Nintendo franchises not even playable.

Looking at the three characters confirmed so far (all new series to Smash Bros.), as well as the three rumored newcomers (Little Mac, Mii, Pac-Man), it might be possible Sakurai thought he added in nearly all the worthwhile characters for Nintendo's veteran franchises with Brawl.

That things look cloudy even for Ridley of all characters, does not look good in general for most veteran series newcomers.

If Sakurai comes out next month (the anniversary of Kid Icarus in Japan), with a picture showing Palutena is still part of Pit's Final Smash, I think that is going to be a very ugly sign in general for possible veteran series newcomers. If that happens we could very easily see a scenario with no Mario newcomer, no DK newcomer, and no Ridley.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Call me stubborn and ridicule me for believing otherwise, but until Toad is officially deconfirmed as a playable character, I am not giving up hope. Granted, that hope is continuing to diminish, but above all else, there's still Sakurai, aka Mr. Troll.

D

Deleted member

Hate to be that guy (because I know how it feels to have a character you want to see be pretty much hopeless), but I can't say I didn't see it coming from 20 miles away.

With a Toad being shown as Peach's meat shield again back in September, as well as finding out that the "Toad whose name is Toad" doesn't actually exist in Japan, it was painfully obvious we weren't getting a playable one.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
At this rate, I honestly believe Toad will never become a playable character (considering how his roles have increased dramatically over the years, only for Sakurai to blatantly ignore); it's fairly obvious Sakurai only sees Toad in a supporting non-playable role, and nothing-more.

Well, while I'm not exactly going to mourn the loss (since I desire other Mario characters, and personally don't care much for Toad), I do feel empathy for the Toad supporters getting hit with such a lethal blow to their self-esteem. Especially with the amount of anti-Toad detractors that are going to gleefully remind them of this fateful day, it's going to be quite a cloudy forecast on the horizon.

L∈O

Smash Journeyman
I also want Toad to be playable...

With the release of Super Mario 3D World, I was expecting for Toad or Rosalina, but nothing until now...

Let's wait a few more days...

I mean, Super Mario 3d World will be released in North America on Day 22 and in Europe on Day 29...

Maybe Sakurai is holding it for a while...

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Hate to be that guy (because I know how it feels to have a character you want to see be pretty much hopeless), but I can't say I didn't see it coming from 20 miles away.

With a Toad being shown as Peach's meat shield again back in September, as well as finding out that the "Toad whose name is Toad" doesn't actually exist in Japan, it was painfully obvious we weren't getting a playable one.

I know what you mean Golden. This is the third(fourth?) instalment I've hoped for Toad now, but I'm done. I'm honestly done. I'm at a loss who to actually hope for now though for a newcomer. Maybe I'll just hope Yoshi doesn't get nerfed again.

The clues were there regarding Toad, but I guess with increased playable status of Toads, being well known all over the planet(even if there's no Toad whose name is Toad...except I guess Captain Toad now who sort of is) and being one of the front runners for the Mario franchise; I'm pretty pissed off that Sakurai has decided to cling to past Smash ideas. Will Luigi ever get his Poltergust? Will Peach get some Super Princess Peach moves finally? I guess we'll see, but I'm not hopeful for either right now.

Here's hoping Ridley fans and those who want Captain Falcondorf to be altered don't have to suffer the same nonsense.

-------------

For Mario newcomers I'm now at a loss.
Bowser Jr. deserves it the most, but I don't like the character at all, whilst I do like Waluigi but have a feeling like Toad he'll be resigned to an old role; an Assist Trophy.

Rosalina, I don't dislike, but if it turns out she's the playable Mario character I think I'll actually be more annoyed than if we didn't get one at all if it's on the premise of being now a playable character in 3D World. If it's because of her role in the plot of Galaxy; slightly less annoyed, but still flummoxed why she was selected over either Jr. or Toad.

I have no hope for Paper Mario at all, although I don't dislike him. I just think the Paper series tends to get ignored a lot.

If Geno gets in...well frankly I'm going to give the series up altogether. One time side character gets in over playable, reoccurring characters like Jr, Toad, Paper or Waluigi is a kick to the balls.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
Sorry, Toad Parade. I was rooting for the little guy, but I guess it just isn't meant to be.

Fun fact, Toad is still the ONLY playable character from Mario Kart 64 not playable in Super Smash Bros. Poor little mushroom man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom