• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad parade - Oh boy it's Els--- I mean, Rosalina

What do you think will happen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Actually is it bad I'm just glad that the secret 5th character wasn't either Yellow Toad(even as a Toad fan we've got TWO already playable in the game) or Nabbit?

But looks like the Smash community may need to consider Rosalina a more likely addition now she's actually been playable in a platformer. More than what Waluigi and Daisy have done. Rosalina's one of those characters I don't particularly dislike for Smash, but as one of the Toad Brigade's more vocal members;

DEATH TO ROSALINA I would still prefer Toad to the secret 5th playable. Or 6th. Not really sure what Captain Toad counts as now.

Pro Toad this week: Models are subject to alteration! Toadsworth shield is looking slightly liklier than it was since Peach's reveal and thus freeing Toad from her tyrannical clutches. Say what you want about Bowser being a bad boss but at least he doesn't throw a Koopa Troopa into the enemies attack.

Anti Toad this week: Rosalina is now ALSO a playable protagonist in the SM3DW game! A NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHES. Add her to the list of serious contenders with Bowser Jr., Waluigi and Paper Mario.

It's only Wednesday too.

The life of a Toad supporter continues to be a rollercoaster week by week.

My expectations for the rest of the week:
Sakurai will release a statement that a royal guard will be revealed to be playable in Smash. We will be excited. The Bandanna Dee supporters will get excited.
Friday's reveal: Luma joins the battle! No sign of Rosalina as playable either. Just Luma. Everyone groans. Chandelure tells Sakurai he's next. I agree with him. We are both immedietly arrested.

That should keep us going until next week at least.
I'd actually laugh. And cry...but mainly laugh.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Are you suggesting we get both?
I don't mind Rosalina myself... I would prefer her over Dr. Mario, Waluigi, Daisy, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, and Geno... but NOT over Toad, that is!!! :mad:

Rosalina could represent Super Mario Galaxy games with her moveset... while Toad could represent New Super Mario Bros. games with his moveset. Rosalina's moveset could be based on Mario's moves in Super Mario Galaxy games... involving shooting Star Bits, doing Star Spins, recovering with Launch Stars.... oh wait, they are not unique to Rosalina... these are iconic to Mario!
:troll:

/EddyBearr

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
DLC in Smash Bros. would be a godsend for the Mario franchise. Then there wouldn't be so much bickering over character slot limitations. Honestly, it would be rad if Toad, Rosalina, Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, and Waluigi could all be playable somehow. I still think Toad is more likely than Rosalina for having a richer history. Furthermore, I'd like Mario's move set to include the Galaxy Spin which we can see Rosalina use in 3D World.

Addressing the move set for Toad I made yesterday. After much thinking, I agree that the Ice Ball move doesn't exactly scream "Toad" when you first see it. It's just an easy solution, but certainly not the best. It's important that Neutral B moves represent the character as much as possible because they eventually get transferred to Kirby's move set as well. So I came up with another Neutral B move that only Toad could do.

Neutral B: Item Chest- Toad dumps out an item chest. Its contents will help him on his way. Basically, Toad will make a random Mario-related item spawn in front of him, with some of them being "Toad-exclusive". Characters that spawn items are not new to Super Smash Bros. thanks to Diddy Kong, but with the sorts of items Toad can spawn, it is important that this move is balanced accordingly.

To use this move effectively, Toad must fill up a "meter" over time similar to the mechanics of a fully charged Wario Waft. It takes a while. When he starts flashing, Toad can make one of any of the following items appear. The list is ordered from the most common to least common possibilities:

1-Up Mushroom (Appears if Toad has not fully charged his "meter". It does nothing except play the 1-Up jingle when somebody touches it and resets Toad's meter.)
Fire Flower
Ice Flower (Exclusive item. Behaves like Fire Flower, but can freeze)
Super Mushroom
Poison Mushroom
SMB3 Hammer (Exclusive item. The kind from SMB3 that you can use to break boulders on the world map. Does moderate damage when thrown)
Music Box (Exclusive item. When activated, opponents within a certain radius of the box will fall asleep.)
Starman
Sticker/CD/Trophy (VERY RARE)

So while Toad can't depend on this move all the time, it certainly represents his character well and is a fun addition to his overall strategy. It would be particularly interesting in Team matches because the item Toad spawns can be picked up by another player before Toad gets to it. What do you think?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
he could mess with us by making toad and rosalina a two in one character
Not sure if they're the obvious pair up. It'd be a bit like Peach with Luma.

(Incidentally do you guys think if Rosalina gets in as a Peach Semi clone that Luma will be her "Toad Guard"?)

To be honest though guys; it could of been a lot worse.
Waluigi or Bowser Jr could of been the 5th unlockable. Or Paper Mario. I think I would of quit everything at that point.

(honestly though originally I was expecting Daisy...now there's a character who gets screwed almost as much as we do)

Nice Toad box idea
I like it. I was actually vying for that myself several pages back as a side B, but yours has a lot more detail and is better thought out. I like the element of randomness thrown in, especially since it matches the powerup block in the Toad House's so well.

I agree with your sentiments about DLC being a handy thing for the Mario series. Whilst I don't dislike any Mario characters(outside Jr...grew up with Koopalings, always screamed replacement scrappy to me) this would give us all a chance to have our 5th Mario rep of choice.

Shame it's unlikely to happen. They'll save it for Smash 5, 6, 7, etc

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oy vey! So, Rosalina could be a semi-clone of Mario and Peach, too?

Toad could be a semi-clone of Mario (iceballs) and Peach (vegetables)... Rosalina could be a semi-clone of Mario (star spin) and Peach (Luma shield).

Funny how Toad could get Mario's B and Peach's Down+B... and Rosalina could get Mario's Down+B and Peach's B. :awesome:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So we are taking this whole clone thing to the next level? Half Clones, clones with half the movesets of two different characters, oh gosh.... :o

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would like a new 3D Mario platformer game where we could play as all the playable characters from Super Mario 64 DS and Super Mario 3D World.... Mario, Luigi, Wario, Yoshi, Peach, Toad, and Rosalina... all with unique abilities. That would be awesome. :awesome:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
guys i was joking
You'll have to forgive us fogbadge as we miss even that obvious joke; we're just all very sensitive at the moment.

A pretty princess just started a rivalry with us, and we're worried we're not cute enough to win.

I would like a new 3D Mario platformer game where we could play as all the playable characters from Super Mario 64 DS and Super Mario 3D World.... Mario, Luigi, Wario, Yoshi, Peach, Toad, and Rosalina... all with unique abilities. That would be awesome. :awesome:
This would pretty much be the greatest Mario game ever.

But then people would want Daisy, Waluigi and Petey in the sequel.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here's a moveset for Toad.

B: Spore Reflex
Counter attack. Toad cowers. While in this state he shoots spores when hit.

B-Side: Boomerang Bro
Toad throws a Boomerang larger than Link's but with two major differences. 1. It is easily destroyed. 2. It can be jumped off of to gain extra height. Not a move Toad would use normally to recover but it has impressive trick video written over it.

B-up: Propeller Suit
Self-Explanatory

B-Down: Mini Mushroom
Toad becomes Tiny and incredibly Floaty. His Jumping Power is increased but he can't attack until he returns to normal after 5 seconds, after being hit or after he hits b-down again

FINAL SMASH: SUBCON
Toad takes out a Magic Potion, throws it to the ground and enters the subsequent door. In Subcon the stage is reversed and all except Toad are in Silhouette and have inverted controls. For the duration, Toad can be damaged but takes no knockback. any that are KO'd will respawn in colour and with correct controls.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This would pretty much be the greatest Mario game ever.

But then people would want Daisy, Waluigi and Petey in the sequel.
Uhhh.... you are right... forget Wario... let's just add Yoshi as a rideable character like in the Galaxy games instead in Super Mario 3D World 2: Yoshi's 3D Island. :troll:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I have a feeling this picture and this caption will haunt us for some while in any case.

Pic of the day. Peach joins the battle! We've added 10 new pictures of her on the website, but keep in mind that the game is still in development. Her moves may be refreshed by the time the games are released."
-Masahiro Sakurai

I have a feeling this picture and this caption will haunt us for some while in any case.

Pic of the day. Peach joins the battle! We've added 10 new pictures of her on the website, but keep in mind that the game is still in development. Her moves may be refreshed by the time the games are released."
-Masahiro Sakurai
Old news is old

But I don't remember the "By the time the games are released"

Regardless, still waiting

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Here's the story intro in Super Mario 3D World...

What I liked about this intro is the small details that show the characters' personalities...

Toad is usually very observable and alerts his friends... so he is the first one who noticed the clear pipe and pointed it out to his friends.

Next, Mario and Luigi are known as plumbers... so they plumb the clear pipe... is this the first time we see Mario and Luigi actually do plumbing on-screen? :troll:

When Bowser appears.... Mario is the only one who did not cower in fear... this makes sense... Peach is always getting kidnapped by Bowser... Luigi is very cowardly... Toad is very timid.... there is a difference between being cowardly and being timid...

When Bowser disappears... Peach is the one who was concerned for the Sprixie Princess and she looked into the pipe and fell in... showing that Peach is selfless but reckless as she always gets into danger... Mario is the first one to jump into the pipe because he is the courageous hero... but notice that Toad immediately jumps in right behind Mario without hesitation because Toad is willing to do anything to protect Peach... and Luigi stood behind before mustering courage to jump in the pipe... like I said, there is a difference between being cowardly and being timid... remember that Toad is the one with superhuman strength but he appears weak because he lacks self-confidence.

Toad lacks self-confidence to stand up for himself... as evidenced by him running away or panicking when Bowser and King Boo are around... but he is confident enough to stand up for others... as evidenced by his Mario-like courage to rush to save the Sub-Con people from Wart or to defend the "sprites and gentle creatures" of the Peaceful Woods from Wario... and especially to run off with Mario to save Peach or at least help Mario save Peach.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Wow...are they actually fleshing out their personalities a little more? Good observations Arcadenik! I also like the fact both Toad and Luigi jump back a little when Bowser glares at them, whilst Mario and Peach just stare at him back. A fair point about Toad's timidity, I never really considered it as being something different from Luigi, but the psychology behind the difference between the two seems sound, even if I'm not 100% convinced Nintendo did it on purpose.

And yes; this is the first time we've ever see Mario or Luigi fix a pipe! This game is going to be a landmark, if only for that! I'm not much of an advocator of Peach, but the little touches to her made her far more likable here than 90% of the other games she's starred in(aside from TTYD, Super Princess Peach and SMB2).

I am pumped for this game!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It is a little disheartening that because Rosalina is in Super Mario 3D World, Toad lost some momentum he had going since 2009... it doesn't help matters that Sakurai already showed one picture of Peach's Toad... and it could either be in the final product or be "refreshed" into something else... so, I guess Toad will just need to appear in more future main Mario games as a playable character to remain "relevant and recent" in the eyes of Toad dissidents and Toad apparently is required to get his own game so he would appear "unique and important" in the eyes of Toad detractors...

I hate feeling hopeful and demoralized at the same time... I don't really want to wait till SSB5 or SSB6 for that matter to finally get a playable Toad in Smash... it's his time already. :urg:

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
FINAL SMASH: SUBCON
Toad takes out a Magic Potion, throws it to the ground and enters the subsequent door. In Subcon the stage is reversed and all except Toad are in Silhouette and have inverted controls. For the duration, Toad can be damaged but takes no knockback. any that are KO'd will respawn in colour and with correct controls.
That was awesome, but i would prefer it as an item xD

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/super-mario-3d-world/0/3

Koizumi, the director of Super Mario Galaxy and the producer of Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Mario 3D Land, and Super Mario 3D World, sees Toad as pretty plain. :( Iwata said Toad is a "surprisingly popular character"... surprisingly? :confused:

So... wait, Nintendo thinks Toad is bland and isn't a popular character? Well... at least Nintendo is working on turning Toad into an "incredibly appealing character" with his cuteness and speed... but still... if this is how Nintendo views Toad, then it is likely that Sakurai shares the same views... :scared:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845

Koizumi, the director of Super Mario Galaxy and the producer of Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Mario 3D Land, and Super Mario 3D World, sees Toad as pretty plain. :( Iwata said Toad is a "surprisingly popular character"... surprisingly? :confused:

So... wait, Nintendo thinks Toad is bland and isn't a popular character? Well... at least Nintendo is working on turning Toad into an "incredibly appealing character" with his cuteness and speed... but still... if this is how Nintendo views Toad, then it is likely that Sakurai shares the same views... :scared:
Toad used to look pretty plain...with how he can quickly dash around, I think he turned into an incredibly appealing character.
They seemed to have changed their mind, though.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
How should Toad rank among other characters in terms of running speed?

Slower than Sonic(dur), Fox, Falco and Falcon. Faster than everyone else basically...maybe around Pikachu's speed?

Being "Surprisingly popular" isn't a bad thing. A lot of series have dark horse characters who turn out to be far more popular than the original creator expected.

For example Kishimoto's Naruto; Rock Lee ended up being so insanely popular despite being the only character without magic ninja powers, with his only strengths being speed and strength(sound familiar?) that he ended up getting his own spinoff series.
A series that replaced rival Bleach's anime it was so popular. That's the power of being surprisingly popular.

Of course there's bad examples as well: Shadow the Hedgehog ended up being surprisingly popular and we all know how that turned out. Luckily Toad isn't darker and edgier and is unlikely to try and usurp the Mario brothers.

Hell; Luigi, Yoshi, Bowser Jr and Wario have all ended up being more popular than anyone could of originally predicted. "2P colour swap", "glorified power up", "lazy Baby Bowser rehash with a bib" and "bad fatter Mario" none of which were cynically designed to be cool characters.
Even Daisy and Waluigi have turned out to be surprisingly popular. In a way, it's not that surprising that ANY Mario character turned out to be as popular as they are: remember when Petey was shoehorned into every Mario spinoff available? He obviously was appealing enough to keep it up.

As with the interview:

I'm not sure why they feel cat ears add anything to a character's appeal(something I also felt about 3D land and the constant need to shoehorn a Tanooki tail on everything), but I agree giving Toad superior speed increases his appeal in the same way differing Luigi from Mario with his superior jumping made Luigi more appealing.

Am I the only one who is confused by the line about Captain Toad's levels being surprisingly fun? Why include a game mode you don't think will help sell your game in the first place?

I do like the fact Miyamoto was worried Peach was going to get replaced by Rosalina though.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Not that it hurts or helps his chances any but check out the Toad Brigade's ship in the background here.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Pretty nifty find. Where was this screenshot from? It seems to be different from the main site's image.

Absolutely beautiful looking stage though.
On miiverse Sakurai commented on his post with that second picture, mentioning that on the edges of the stage gravity works so that a straight jump will look diagonal.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So... basically Toad could be in two places at the same time... part of Peach's moveset and part of Galaxy stage's background... so where's the harm of having a playable Toad? Toad could be in three places at the same time.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So... basically Toad could be in two places at the same time... part of Peach's moveset and part of Galaxy stage's background... so where's the harm of having a playable Toad? Toad could be in three places at the same time.

It can happen but don't count on it too much. If the same principle applied to other characters Charizard would still be a Pokeball.

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
The Toad Brigade characters are not the same Toad we want on the roster. We should not read too much into it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The Toad Brigade characters are not the same Toad we want on the roster. We should not read too much into it.
Ugh... I guess so... even the Nintendo staff in that Iwata Asks interview seem to imply that Captain Toad is a separate character from Toad... And yet we get conflicting sources that claim that THE Toad and Blue Toad are two separate characters (NSMBWii, NSMBU) or are the same character (SM3DW)... and even THE Toad and Captain Toad are implied to be the same character in Galaxy games.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It can happen but don't count on it too much. If the same principle applied to other characters Charizard would still be a Pokeball.
It happens, but like you said; it's rare. I mean Toon Link is probably an example of when it's worked out, but it's not something we should take as a given. Prepare for worst, hope for best, Toad Brigade!

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
Ugh... I guess so... even the Nintendo staff in that Iwata Asks interview seem to imply that Captain Toad is a separate character from Toad... And yet we get conflicting sources that claim that THE Toad and Blue Toad are two separate characters (NSMBWii, NSMBU) or are the same character (SM3DW)... and even THE Toad and Captain Toad are implied to be the same character in Galaxy games.

Hold on a moment. I haven't played Galaxy in years. Is it true that the Toad Brigade Captain isn't ALWAYS wearing a red vest in the game?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Hold on a moment. I haven't played Galaxy in years. Is it true that the Toad Brigade Captain isn't ALWAYS wearing a red vest in the game?
I think it was mostly in the opening illustrations:

This shot hints that "Toad" is the same as "Captain Toad" but I can't remember if it's mentioned elsewhere in the game whilst talking to the Captain.

You guys should rally with this march!

That's our theme! Or maybe we'll go with Toad Force as it suits Smashing better. VOTE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom