• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad parade - Oh boy it's Els--- I mean, Rosalina

What do you think will happen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Ok folks, I DONT WANT HIM, but here is a theory:

If Pikachu (one of the tiniest characters in the game) wasnt ducking, we couldnt see the toads ship brigade in the background.
Crazy doesnt it? is like if sakurai is saying us "pikachu has a secret to tell you", which means...

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

If Pikachu (one of the tiniest characters in the game) wasnt ducking, we couldnt see the toads ship brigade in the background.
Crazy doesnt it? is like if sakurai is saying us "pikachu has a secret to tell you", which means...
100000000/10 theory sir. I applaud your detective skills.

D

Deleted member

Arcadenik said:
Ugh... I guess so... even the Nintendo staff in that Iwata Asks interview seem to imply that Captain Toad is a separate character from Toad... And yet we get conflicting sources that claim that THE Toad and Blue Toad are two separate characters (NSMBWii, NSMBU) or are the same character (SM3DW)... and even THE Toad and Captain Toad are implied to be the same character in Galaxy games.
Except for the fact that, which you've seemed to flat out ignore me state, there is no "The Toad" in Japan and that the concept was American-made.
Also, 3D World never said that the blue Toad was "The Toad" anyway. He's just given the "Toad" label, just like every other generic nameless Toad that is playable.
He's only "Blue Toad" in the New Super Mario Bros. games because there are TWO generic playable Toads. Thus we get "Blue Toad" who is literally a blue Toad, and "Yellow Toad", who is literally a yellow Toad.
In 3D World, we have one generic Toad (the blue one), and the specific "Captain Toad", who is called as such because he's the captain of the Toad Brigade.

loganhogan

Smash Ace

Toad promotes to Captain Toad.
Captain Toad confirmed.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Toad should be happy that he's part of the generic Toad species. Otherwise, Peach's confirmation would've meant that he's completely deconfirmed.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Of what im looking everywhere and the people i know, rosalina will be a reason to buy the game.
Toad... well, toad doesnt.
Let's be honest; if people aren't already interested in the game because of the characters that are already in, then Rosalina would make only a difference to a very small amount of consumers.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Let's be honest; if people aren't already interested in the game because of the characters that are already in, then Rosalina would make only a difference to a very small amount of consumers.
"small" i dont think so.
If i have to choose a mario character it would be toad for his storical value, but rosalina is really an easy way to make happy the fans.

Interesting take. Were these people not planning to buy the game prior to her reveal?
I dont know, people love her.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
"small" i dont think so.
If i have to choose a mario character it would be toad for his storical value, but rosalina is really an easy way to make happy the fans.

But that doesn't mean that they wouldn't buy the game anyways. You're overestimating how important any possible newcomer really is to sales. These people bought Brawl without it having Rosalina, and they'll most likely buy SSB4 without her as well.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
But that doesn't mean that they wouldn't buy the game anyways. You're overestimating how important any possible newcomer really is to sales. These people bought Brawl without it having Rosalina, and they'll most likely buy SSB4 without her as well.
Rosalina wasnt that popular in pre-brawl time.

I may be overestimating her a bit (or a lot), but never expect so many hype from the fanbase... that has to mean something.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
They do and she's very likable, but I think the game would have sold fine without her too.

It's a 3D Mario; it would of probably sold fine without even Luigi as an extra playable character let alone Peach, Toad and Rosalina. They're just lovely extras that will boost the sales a bit more amongst fans of the characters.

Although on that note it's a wonder they didn't use Yoshi within the lineup who is the single most popular Mario fan favourite.

Must be saving it for the inevitable sequel.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Rosalina wasnt that popular in pre-brawl time.

I may be overestimating her a bit (or a lot), but never expect so many hype from the fanbase... that has to mean something.
Let me give you a different example, then.

Ridley was not in Brawl, but people still bought it; they may have been disappointed, but they still bought the game.

Rosalina is way less popular than Ridley. Both comparably to Brawl times and now.

With that in mind, isn't it a bit absurd to think that Rosalina's inclusion has any significance on the sales of the games?

In my mind, the only reason almost any newcomer should be added should be for the sake of completion in a series. That's why Meta Knight and King Dedede were added in Brawl. Toad is the most important character to really "complete" the Mario cast. And, honestly, he's not even necessary.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
With that in mind, isn't it a bit absurd to think that Rosalina's inclusion has any significance on the sales of the games?
Yes it is, but fans tend to be absurd some times.
I know what you are talking about, but the amount of craziness for rosalina is huge... never saw it coming, i may be influenced by that.

I also dont think mario needs another character, the series can do it just fine with a paper mario stage.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yes it is, but fans tend to be absurd some times.
I know what you are talking about, but the amount of craziness for rosalina is huge... never saw it coming, i may be influenced by that.

I also dont think mario needs another character, the series can do it just fine with a paper mario stage.
Well, if they had put Daisy in SM3DW instead of Rosalina, people would be jumping into conclusions, that Daisy is a shoo-in.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Well, if they had put Daisy in SM3DW instead of Rosalina, people would be jumping into conclusions, that Daisy is a shoo-in.
Yes, but i wouldnt say all this stuff if it was daisy... everybody here is a mario fan doesnt it? everybody can see the importance of rosalina to the franchise and the fact that she has priority over many characters in at least 2 games. I even would say she has the chance to start her own series, which will be the main reason why i dont want her in smash over toad (not saying i want toad).

But daysi? HA! maybe after 2 smash bros and 10 secondary roles in actual mario games, lady.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Yes, but i wouldnt say all this stuff if it was daisy... everybody here is a mario fan doesnt it? everybody can see the importance of rosalina to the franchise and the fact that she has priority over many characters in at least 2 games. I even would say she has the chance to start her own series, which will be the main reason why i dont want her in smash over toad (not saying i want toad).

But daysi? HA! maybe after 2 smash bros and 10 secondary roles in actual mario games, lady.
Imagine a Super Mario Galaxy 3 with the only playable character would be Rosalina. :eek:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Consider me a true Toad supporter now, I think the many new Mario games Toad has been playable on might give Sakurai a second thought about Toad.
That's possible... Sakurai started working on SSB4 in 2012... Toad was already playable in New Super Mario Bros. Wii back in 2009... and he's still playable in New Super Mario Bros. U (2012) and Super Mario 3D World (2013)... so, Toad probably got Sakurai's attention, given the major roles he had before and during SSB4 development. I just hope Sakurai doesn't just dismiss Toad again... but then again, that one picture of Peach's Toad... and his comments about refreshing Peach's moveset in the final product... and changing the models of the Capsule item...

I wish I wasn't a fan of Toad just so I wouldn't be holding my breath for Toad... that I wouldn't care which Mario character could get in SSB4... just like how I am not a fan of Fire Emblem so I don't care whether Chrom replaces Ike or "steals" Roy's spot... damn it, why did Nintendo have to make Toad so appealing (in my opinion) since the NES days? :p

Oh, right... I blame Super Mario All-Stars for the SNES... that was my childhood right there! :awesome:

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I think Rosalina would suit more to being a just a playable character in Mario games. Can't really find a way to make Rosalina have her own series.
It wouldnt be a mario galaxy with mario runing everywhere (well, maybe... ) but mario galaxy has a lot of weird items, situations, some point and click elements and some times plays with the perspective, so, maybe a puzzle game? i love solomons key.
She has a story to tell, so it could be interesting.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Boy that would make us remember that Super Mario Land 3 is actually a Wario series title.

Anyway, back to Toad now...
Wouldn't it be truly epic if Super Mario Galaxy 3 had Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, and Rosalina playable... along with Yoshi as a glorified power-up like he was in Super Mario Galaxy 2?!?! :eek:

I would buy it day one!

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Glad to have Bluepikmin11 joining us! May have unconventional choices, but you're still a cool guy.

Honestly, though, if Toad isn't in, I may literally flip a table and send a video of it to Sakurai.

I think he'd get a kick out of it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Thats why i want linebeck and krystal to have their own franchises :cool:
Ironically, Krystal almost had her own franchise. But Miyamoto had to turn it into a Star Fox game, instantly rendering Krystal unimportant.

Back to topic, Toad for Smash!

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Ironically, Krystal almost had her own franchise. But Miyamoto had to turn it into a Star Fox game, instantly rendering Krystal unimportant.
To be fair, if he hadn't done that, Krystal would have belonged to Microsoft now.

So, back to Toad. Can anyone convince John that Toad does have moveset potential. The nerve of him to say that he offers nothing unique. (>_>)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
To be fair, if he hadn't done that, Krystal would have belonged to Microsoft now.

So, back to Toad. Can anyone convince John that Toad does have moveset potential. The nerve of him to say that he offers nothing unique. (>_>)
Everyone has moveset potential. Here's some stuff Toad can do; feel free to use whichever points from this you want.

-Toad can use any of the power ups Mario/Luigi can and has done in the games so it's not as random as say...Ness or Lucas pulling PK moves out of no where.
-Has spores(Mario Tennis/Smash Bros.) and the ability to grow mushrooms(Mario Sports Mix)
-Speedy and strong but light frame and poor jumping skills.
-Heavily associated with the Golden/poison mushroom power ups thanks to Mario Kart.
-NSMB associates him with the Propeller Cap power up the most.
-Was better than Peach at vegetable plucking skills(could also be replaced with bob-ombs or bombs to reference Wario's Woods more or Pow Blocks)
-Has the potential to run up walls.
-Can carry enemies over his head like DK.
-Has Toad House to pull moves from if you wish too: Toad chest for example could give him an item to play around with akin to Diddy Kong. There's also the Toad Cannons for UP+B if you don't want to use Propeller Cap/Squat Jump/Magic Carpet as an up+B. I also really like my Card Flip Final Smash, but there's plenty of choices for that.
-Has been shown to have firey kicks in Mario Smash Football/Super Strikers, but isn't the most associated with it.
-Captain Toad specifically could potentially have a stun move with the flashlight on his head, could use a variety of items from his backpack.
-Has hosted Mario Party in the past, so die based moves or the Genie Lamp(Final Smash possibly?) could be used. Well known as the host of Mario Parties.
-Subcon potion could be a pretty cool Final Smash too.
-Super Smash Bros. Crusade have made a moveset work really well for Toad already and brought me around to the propeller cap idea which I was initially against.

Not really sure why you're trying to convince John though. The man thinks Wart to be a good choice. Only thing he ever did was shoot bubbles from his mouth(and get his ass kicked by Toad(and the others)). He also wants the Baby Bros. who would essentially just be Ice Climbers without the ice from what I've seen. Just hammers. Best of luck though.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481

Sure. Johnknight likes unique play styles, and Toad's combination of speed and power at the expense of aerial mobility and range would make him extremely unique.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Not really sure why you're trying to convince John though. The man thinks Wart. Only thing he ever did was shoot bubbles from his mouth(and get his *** kicked by Toad(and the others)). He also wants the Baby Bros. who would essentially just be Ice Climbers without the ice from what I've seen. Just hammers. Best of luck though.
Lol, thanks.

But yeah, dealing with him is a pain.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I would just like to say I apologize if I got any Toad fans hopes up in regards to a possible confirmation happening with Super Mario 3D World. While it could still possibly happen, I am personally not expecting it.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I would just like to say I apologize if I got any Toad fans hopes up in regards to a possible confirmation happening with Super Mario 3D World. While it could still possibly happen, I am personally not expecting it.
Appreciate it Chrono, but no apology required. I'm sure we all doubted a Toad reveal to happen before the vets were out the way anyway.

My money is on Falcon next, but it could easily be Zelda or he could Marth us and just pick a random veteran for no reason. After all, as ScatmansWorld pointed out:

I'd have to say Sakurai may have the best job one could have, he gets to troll people on a regular basis and people still love him.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211

I'm actually a bit curious as to why they included Pikachu over Luigi... But I hope we'll see Toad. It'll make me desire the game even more.

Also, is that the Death Star behind Bowser?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom