• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad parade - Oh boy it's Els--- I mean, Rosalina

What do you think will happen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Pretty much it's down to Bowser Jr. if there's a newcomer or Dr. Mario if there isn't. Or neither. Or both, who knows.

I've given up hope on Waluigi quite a while ago (but that doesn't mean I can't have some Waluigi Time on the boards), and I don't see Rosalina or Paper Mario as anything other than "possibilities".

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So much pessimism here... I feel bad for you guys.

I almost thought Toad was confirmed for playable for a moment. (-_-)

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It really hurts seeing this go down to be honest. I know that you guys have been so dedicated and have done so much to argue for your case as much as possible, as a big-time Ridley supporter since pre-Brawl I really sympathize.

Gotta say though, you guys are taking it better than most other fanbases would.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I saw this coming but I had to wait for the final nail hammered to the coffin so I can truly move on.

I'm disappointed (but not so much as I used to be), but at least this means that I shouldn't wait for Toad anymore in the next installments (at least enthutiastically). And move on to look forward to something which might suprise me pleasantly with bigger chances.

If there'll even be any, that is...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So... I saw Toad. I thought he was confirmed... that was my hope spot... but then I noticed Peach holding him up after the picture finished loading...

Umm... "four... people(?)"... ? I only see three playable characters. What's with the question mark inside parentheses? Even when Sakurai showed a second picture of Toad, he's still giving false hope. Is that question mark hinting that Toad is unlockable? **** you Sakurai. No more mind games.

Toad detractors, congratulations. You have won. Toad supporters, I have nothing optimistic to inspire some positive thinking today. Toad is never going to be playable in all future Smash games ever... Let's just play Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario Bros. 2, or Wario's Woods in his memory.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So... I saw Toad. I thought he was confirmed... that was my hope spot... but then I noticed Peach holding him up after the picture finished loading...

Umm... "four... people(?)"... ? I only see three playable characters. What's with the question mark inside parentheses? Even when Sakurai showed a second picture of Toad, he's still giving false hope. Is that question mark hinting that Toad is unlockable? **** you Sakurai. No more mind games.

Toad detractors, congratulations. You have won. Toad supporters, I have nothing optimistic to inspire some positive thinking today. Toad is never going to be playable in all future Smash games ever... Let's just play Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario Bros. 2, or Wario's Woods in his memory.
I honestly thought Toad was confirmed while the image loaded for me too.

As for the question mark, it seems to be more or less a joke whether Toad can be classified alongside Mario, Luigi and Peach, since he's of a different race (Peach could be argued). I'm not sure if Sakurai knows the confusion he causes with such a little remark though.

Toad still has a chance in future titles, he just didn't make the cut this time sadly. No character can safely be deconfirmed for all future titles, not even Sukapon who Sakurai mercilessly struck down.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Damn. I guess all we can hope for is the next version of Project M to include Playable Toad.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Damn. I guess all we can hope for is the next version of Project M to include Playable Toad.

Don't put too much hope into that one. A lot of Toad detractors don't want him even in that and they're a lot more vocal than the Toad supporters.

There's always Crusade. Gonna get six controllers over christmas and play some Toad, Ridley, Duck Hunt Dog and Waluigi matches on a big screen.

Toad still has a chance in future titles, he just didn't make the cut this time sadly. No character can safely be deconfirmed for all future titles, not even Sukapon who Sakurai mercilessly struck down.

Thank you for the sympathy Wariofan1.

I can't speak for everyone, but I think the biggest problem this time for me was Toad had a larger resume than ever before, was starring alongside the plumbers and the princess in an upcoming game that is up for game of the year(a bit odd since we haven't had it released here yet) and unlike Melee and Brawl there wasn't any obvious choices before him within the Mario series: Melee was obvious he'd have to wait until Peach and Bowser got in, and Brawl, Wario obviously was more important.

Jr. IS important, but he was more comparable to Toad rather than simply overshadowing him like the previous Mario related characters. Perhaps that's why I'm more gutted this time than previous. I dislike Jr a lot, but if he doesn't get in I'm going to be pretty stunned.

Toad may have a chance next time, but it's looking doubtful. If Ganondorf gets altered finally this time, or Luigi gets his Poltergust finally that may give me a little hope that Sakurai will think about altering decisions he's made in the past, but for now...eh.

Actually don't think I'm taking this as well as I'd like to of. Bugger.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Forgot about the time there for awhile so I was away from the internet much longer than usual tonight and thus didn't see the update 'till some hours later, but I came to offer my condolences as well, I guess... As one of those quiet Toad supporters I've pretty much lurked here for some time. Took awhile for that update to really sink in for me (the tiredness and current headache probably contributed to that too though).

Well what can I say? I guess Sakurai doesn't play enough Mario Kart and the like to see the magnificence that is Toad as Smash material. Suppose I'll have to wait and see what the Mario newcomer(s) are before I can really express further feelings about Toad's deconfirmation, but so far I'm proud of how the fanbase here is actually handling it, which is more than I could sadly say for Ridley's. Hell, I'm still braced for the worst possible outcome for Rids unlike before Brawl, and after tonight's update I feel even more justified in that. Of course, expecting the worst and hoping for the best is all any of us can really do.

Eventually playing Super Mario 3D World is gonna be rather bittersweet in a way since it'll keep reminding some fans of what could've been for Toad in Sm4sh, which never came to be, but it could always be worse...

Well it should be interesting to see how Project M pulls off a character like Toad. Your move, Smash community.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I feel as if the reason he doesn't have Toad in is because he doesn't want another Mario character in the game. See I always felt like the only logical choice for a new Mario character would be Toad. Perhaps Sakurai wants to focus on other series and franchises from Nintendo. Makes sense, Mario gets a lot of love, other franchises need love too.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
As for the question mark, it seems to be more or less a joke whether Toad can be classified alongside Mario, Luigi and Peach, since he's of a different race (Peach could be argued). I'm not sure if Sakurai knows the confusion he causes with such a little remark though.
I don't know... This is what Sakurai said today about the picture.

きょうの一枚。 『スーパーマリオ 3Dワールド』発売! そこで、基本となる4人を並べてみました。 ……4人??

I used Google Translate and this is the result:

One piece of today. "So Super Mario 3D World" released!, I tried side-by-side four underlying. 4 people ......?

I also checked out NinDB Forum where a member named Nocturnal YL translated it:

Today's piece. "Super Mario 3D World" on sale! For that, I've lined up the 4 primary people (characters). …4 people?

It pretty much says the four characters from SM3DW are lined up together to promote that game and it questions "4 people" when the picture itself features 3 playable characters.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I don't know... This is what Sakurai said today about the picture.

きょうの一枚。 『スーパーマリオ 3Dワールド』発売! そこで、基本となる4人を並べてみました。 ……4人??

I used Google Translate and this is the result:

One piece of today. "So Super Mario 3D World" released!, I tried side-by-side four underlying. 4 people ......?

I also checked out NinDB Forum where a member named Nocturnal YL translated it:

Today's piece. "Super Mario 3D World" on sale! For that, I've lined up the 4 primary people (characters). …4 people?

It pretty much says the four characters from SM3DW are lined up together to promote that game and it questions "4 people" when the picture itself features 3 playable characters.
You could've just went to the Miiverse gallery for Sakurai quotes.....

http://imgur.com/a/equAc

My eyes are still open

And then again, Jr/Paper Mario fans being like X1 fanboys to the PS4. Christ

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I actually made a design document for a theoretical Smash Bros. DS back in 2004. I had the roster be at the same size as Smash 64's, yet the roster was profoundly different. Returning from Smash 64 and Melee was Mario, Link, Samus, Kirby, and Pikachu. From Melee there was Bowser, Mewtwo, and Ganondorf. I had four newcomers: Wario, Meta Knight, Ridley, and Toad.

Yes Toad. I had a sort of hero vs. villain/rival theme going on with the roster. I went with Wario, Meta Knight, and Ridley obviously because those were among the Top 5 most wanted newcomers at the time. I threw in Toad because I honestly thought of Wario's Woods before Captain Syrup, and I thought Toad would have been an interesting fighter with various motifs from Wario's Woods and Super Mario Bros. 2.

That nine years later that Toad looks like he got shut out again is deeply disappointing. There are few other fanbases left out there that have been as long running as Toad's has been (Ridley probably be the only notable example there is of a character that had extensive support during the pre-Melee days that still has a lot of support today).

Toad certainly deserves more than being a special for Peach. I think he may very well be one of those character whom will never get in so long as Sakurai is the one deciding the roster.

Toad certainly deserves more than being a special for Peach. I think he may very well be one of those character whom will never get in so long as Sakurai is the one deciding the roster.
My other fear is if Ridley is rejected one more time, he'll probably fall in that list.

BUT, I'm gonna cheer myself up by watching SM3DW playthroughs

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I am thoroughly disappointed. Seeing today's picture makes me want Toad so much more... There is something just so iconic about those four characters together. It's sad to see that Toad has barely any, or perhaps no chance of ever getting in Smash.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm sorry for all the Toad supporters, but it's vital to realize that unlike Yoshi, Toad has really been stuck in the swarm of Mushroom Retainers. At least with Yoshi, being green does help separate him from the other Yoshis, but with Toad, a lot of Mushroom Retainers utilize his clothing scheme.

I'm sorry for all the Toad supporters, but it's vital to realize that unlike Yoshi, Toad has really been stuck in the swarm of Mushroom Retainers. At least with Yoshi, being green does help separate him from the other Yoshis, but with Toad, a lot of Mushroom Retainers utilize his clothing scheme.
Posted from the Miiverse thread but I don't think that was the deal breaker.

Buuuuut regardless, saddening. Now tell the Jr/PM fans to shut up about it (And also them detractors). Thanks MSG :)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm not a Toad fan,but...never lose the hope guys.
I'm tired of people accusing me of being in denial when I try to look for reasons to remain hopeful. But no more... Not after today's picture. You see, I had noticed that Sakurai did not show a second picture of Peach's Toad for over 2 months since the day Peach was confirmed... And I believed that if Sakurai ever posted a second picture of Peach's Toad, it meant that Toad is indeed deconfirmed. I also rationalized that if Sakurai isn't showing any newcomers this year, Sakurai would post a picture of Mario, Luigi, and Peach together in a new Mario stage, without Toad present, to promote Super Mario 3D World, then hope would remain... But no more... No hope whatsoever, only unfulfilled dreams remain.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
It kinda makes me feel that my whole childhood and liking to Toad was meant to be wrong.

Instead of being the representator of his species with unique attributes like superstrength and speed and was the part of "Core Four" with Mario, Luigi and Peach, he just has to be a helpless meatshield/coward who only helps out Mario and co. in his adventures (and ironically anyone except the iconic Red Spot Blue Vest/Captain Toad gets some playable starring role nowadays that is a main game).

I think I used to forget how unique and memorable character Toad was before Super Mario Bros X came along to my life. He'd have so much potential but it seems to most of the Nintendo's native developers that he's merely a filler to whatever they need. But ah well, so is Nintendo's most first party characters in general (gameplay first before anything)

What a sad day. I can only blame Americanization and their cartoon stuff for just giving us false intepretiation of the Mario and co.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It kinda makes me feel that my whole childhood and liking to Toad was meant to be wrong.

Instead of being the representator of his species with unique attributes like superstrength and speed and was the part of "Core Four" with Mario, Luigi and Peach, he just has to be a helpless meatshield/coward who only helps out Mario and co. in his adventures (and ironically anyone except the iconic Red Spot Blue Vest/Captain Toad gets some playable starring role nowadays that is a main game).
Well; we got the Captain Toad levels in SM3D World to look forward to I guess, but it is odd that this seems to be the case. Since the majority of spotted Toads have their spots match their waistcoat colours, it does seem odd that Red spot, Blue waistcoat Toad was never intended to be the stand out.

Never has your avatar been so app btw Horsetail.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am thoroughly disappointed. Seeing today's picture makes me want Toad so much more... There is something just so iconic about those four characters together. It's sad to see that Toad has barely any, or perhaps no chance of ever getting in Smash.
That's exactly how I feel too. Seeing Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad together envokes many feelings... To me, they were the Super Mario All-Stars when I was in growing up... My childhood, watching The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! everyday after school and The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 every Saturday... I even learned how to read by reading The Best of Super Mario Bros. (a hardcover collection of dozens of Mario comic books). My favorite SNES game was Super Mario All-Stars and I spent countless hours with it, playing as Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad... I had always dreamt of a new platformer game with the four heroes... I dreamt about it for 20 years... And I'm finally getting my dream fulfilled with Super Mario 3D World... But... I also dreamt about having the four heroes playable in Super Smash Bros. even before Melee came out... And to see the last 13 years invested go down the drain without a satisfying payout... That cuts me really deep. Playing Super Mario 3D World is going to be bittersweet for me for the reasons Ridley_Prime stated.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
It's been a while since I've posted around here due to being busy with my studies and so forth, and I truly apologize to the Toad Parade for not being able to contribute and support you guys for the last little while. However, one thing is for sure... it really is a a sad day for us Toad fans...

I've held out to seeing Toad be playable ever since Melee, and at this point I'm not sure what to think. What makes matters worse is that Sakurai pretty much destroyed Toad's chances with such a joke remark in the picture of the day. Sakurai, I love your games...but such a remark hurts.

Toad is my favourite Nintendo character - I'm not going to lie. However, it's upsetting to see the fourth of the original four playable Mario heroes to be ignored in such a way. While growing up, it was these four (Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Toad) along with Bowser who I came to be fond of and recognize as the "main cast". To see Toad once again as Peach's special move just is saddening especially considering how important Toad has been getting lately...

But on a side note, I'm really proud of you all in the Toad Parade. We stayed strong for Toad's sake despite all the viscious Toad detractors around. It's a very tough life as a Toad supporter, but we struck through thick and thin for our favourite little mushroom hero. It's very hard to accept that this is the likely end, and I'm proud to see how we're taking it despite all the work the Toad Parade has done to support Toad.

This is what makes me proud to be a Toad supporter and it's all thanks to you guys. Thank you all. We proved that Toad is a respectable character and we did our best to the bitter end. Let's do our best to give Toad our love in SM3DW and hope that Nintendo gives Toad more playable roles in the future Mario games for us to enjoy.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I truly believe it was either Toad or no newcomers for Mario. Perhaps next time?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Shot down as soon as his role was a meat shield again.

Don't care if there are multiple species, if you're honestly expecting a character that is thrown in with the same exact role as previous installments to suddenly have an amazing chance, I simply don't know what to say.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
There's the last piece of hope, and thats Blue Toad, but that only comes with 1% of a chance.
Perhaps Sakurai hasn't finished developing Toad, otherwise we probably won't see newcomers till E3.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
There's the last piece of hope, and thats Blue Toad, but that only comes with 1% of a chance.
Blue, give it up brah. 4 is not Toad's lucky number...despite being the 4th playable character in Mario 3D World, SMB2 and both 3rd and 4th in the NSMBWii/U/Luigi U games. Kind of ironic really.

Unfortunate as it is, we're not going to be alone in this. We've just got our disappointment out the way first. Prepare to watch Smashboards slowly crumble and burn as other people's dream characters get screwed out of a chance of playability either via general deconfirmation, assist trophy status or boss status.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
Blue, give it up brah. 4 is not Toad's lucky number...despite being the 4th playable character in Mario 3D World, SMB2 and both 3rd and 4th in the NSMBWii/U/Luigi U games. Kind of ironic really.

Unfortunate as it is, we're not going to be alone in this. We've just got our disappointment out the way first. Prepare to watch Smashboards slowly crumble and burn as other people's dream characters get screwed out of a chance of playability either via general deconfirmation, assist trophy status or boss status.
Don't put that evil on the rest of us.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
This has been one big flashback back to when Brawl was just released in Japan. K. Rool silhouette found as an unlockable trophy under Challenges, Ridley as a boss, Mewtwo not on the final roster. It just sucks.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Maybe.

But hey, that's why Sakurai's praised always: he always does the unexpected. I guess it's the norm for any successful developer anyway.

Maybe we'll see his additions as much better than what our newcomer wishes ever were.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
?

You guys really tought toad appareance was supposed to replace peachs B?
Dont want to give you hopes but this doesnt say us anything new, this really could mean nothing.

Chances for the character are the same in my head, and he never had strong ones against rosalina or paper mario, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom