• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad parade - Oh boy it's Els--- I mean, Rosalina

What do you think will happen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I think the lack of at least one of the two canidates for a DK newcomer (that actually have a chance) could cause some pretty nasty uproar as well.

D

Deleted member

The only ones that would cause serious uproars would be Mewtwo and Ridley.

Everything else has a varying degree of uproar potential.
As if the Pyrosphere wasn't an indicator enough.

I think the most serious one will definitely be Mewtwo. While Ridley is highly wanted in the west, he's not in Japan. Mewtwo is THE most wanted character worldwide and if Sakurai dares to post or say anything that deconfirms him, then people worldwide will cause the greatest uproar on the Internet. I bet the same could be said if King K. Rool was deconfirmed or if Sakurai was thinking of cutting Sonic.

D

Deleted member

@KingofPhantoms:
It also depends on which one doesn't make it in.

If it's Dixie that's left out, the uproar would be just a medium tremor that fizzles out quickly.
If it's K. Rool, the uproar would be larger (like K. Rool himself :troll:), and may take longer to fizzle out, but it will not be reaching critical mass at any point.

Pretty sure most fans are aware that there's the possibility that only one will make it, and that the ideal result is that both come in.

Now, if neither come in, that's where we'd have that critical mass of an uproar.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
Even though I never wanted Toad in Smash 4, it is a bit disappointing to see him (most likely) be tossed aside despite the numerous appearances he's made in the Super Mario series as both a background and playable character.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wonder how the Japanese fanbase feels about today's picture where Sakurai basically deconfirmed Toad to promote Super Mario 3D World...

D

Deleted member

Going by reported pessimism about a Toad a while back, they probably expected this like I did.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
I've never been all that excited about toad joining, never really liked any movesets I'd seen for him either. I thought he deserved to be in though because of his iconic status.

I guess there is always a small shot for dlc.
I'm interested in seeing who gets in, if anyone.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Now, if neither come in, that's where we'd have that critical mass of an uproar.
Yeah, there is only potential for three newcomer related outrages this time (as opposed for Brawl where there was outrages of lots of stupid stuff):
- No Mewtwo returning.
- Ridley being a boss/stage hazard/Assist Trophy.
- No DK newcomer

I also think Little Mac and/or Palutena not being playable will cause a commotion. But other than those, I don't think anyone is really going to care about what characters are left out aside from Brawl veterans that happen to be cut.

Going by reported pessimism about a Toad a while back, they probably expected this like I did.
Yeah, Japanese Smash Bros. fans were still pessimistic about Toad's chances this time around and were expecting him to reprise the same role as he had in Melee and Brawl.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yeah, Japanese Smash Bros. fans were still pessimistic about Toad's chances this time around and were expecting him to reprise the same role as he had in Melee and Brawl.
Of course... but I was referring to how the Japanese fanbase reacted to today's picture where Toad was deconfirmed to promote Super Mario 3D World... kinda the opposite to how veterans were confirmed to promote new games. What were their reactions?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I couldn't find any articles discussing the picture, so I couldn't find any Japanese discussion on it. In general, the West has a much more active Smash Bros. speculation scene than the Japanese do (or at least in the present). It was different during the pre-Brawl era. I get the sense that there are not many characters that they are looking forward to. Probably a sign of things to come for the Western fanbase after Smash 4 releases.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I could be wrong, but everyone seems to be thinking that Sakurai intentionally deconfirmed Toad to give you guys a big middle finger. I'm thinking it's more likely that he thought "It'd be really cool to have a picture of all four of those characters to promote the game" instead of "ima get dem Toadies reel gud".

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Little Mac and Palutena not being in could cause a small amount of uproar. It would certainly not reach a critical state at any point though. I'm near certain the whole nonsensical commotion that occured after Brawl's full roster was revealed will seriously help lessen a lot of possible uproar this time around, along with Brawl's resulting full roster itself, seeing as how it won't be as surprising if a majority of the highly requested/wanted characters won't get in. That being said, I still feel at least a few of the popular and deserving characters will get in this time around.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
Wasn't Young Link, Balloon Fighter or Xernas the Samurai Goroh or this generation?

D

Deleted member

Little Mac and Palutena not being in could cause a small amount of uproar. It would certainly not reach a critical state at any point though. I'm near certain the whole nonsensical commotion that occured after Brawl's full roster was revealed will seriously help lessen a lot of possible uproar this time around, along with Brawl's resulting full roster itself, seeing as how it won't be as surprising if a majority of the highly requested/wanted characters won't get in. That being said, I still feel at least a few of the popular and deserving characters will get in this time around.
Brawl pretty much handled and has a lot of characters that people were wanting and expecting (Wario, Meta Knight, Pit, Diddy Kong, King Dedede), so we don't have too many options for potential newcomers, unlike Brawl's time.
Wasn't Young Link, Balloon Fighter or Xernas the Samurai Goroh or this generation?
Balloon Fighter more specifically. The Villager's recovery being a homage to Balloon Fight has practically deconfirmed him as being playable. Then Young Link was deconfirmed (3 Links is highly unlikely), and Xerneas was deconfirmed one week after Pokemon X and Y's release.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yeah, but Toad was one of the most supported characters for SSB4, not Balloon Fighter or Xerneas.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
The color of your text makes it a bit difficult to read.

I think the similarity between Goroh and Toad is that both were deconfirmed via screenshot (in Goroh's case, a screenshot with a full assist trophy post). I guess Xerneas was also by screenshot, but it also wasn't really a contender (it didn't even have a thread prior to the screenshot).

I could be wrong, but everyone seems to be thinking that Sakurai intentionally deconfirmed Toad to give you guys a big middle finger. I'm thinking it's more likely that he thought "It'd be really cool to have a picture of all four of those characters to promote the game" instead of "ima get dem Toadies reel gud".
Yeah. It's definitely not a middle finger. He already showed the same things months prior, and that wasn't a middle finger either. It's not like this is a new move for Peach, so it's not unexpected.

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
I kinda always had a feeling that Toad wasn't going to be in. Condolences to you Toad supporters out there though, it sucks. However, as a non-supporter (not anti-Toad necessarily)of Toad this only gets me more excited for the other(in my opinion) more interesting Mario reps. The only likely other candidates I see are luckily Waluigi or Bowser Jr, my two favorites. Seeing as there's a good chance another rep will be in, I can't wait to see who it is. :)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Yeah. It's definitely not a middle finger. He already showed the same things months prior, and that wasn't a middle finger either. It's not like this is a new move for Peach, so it's not unexpected.
Agreed, I doubt it was malicious intent, that's just silly. It's not unexpected. Just disappointing for us.

Likewise if Ganondorf is a Falcon clone again, Peach has no Super Princess Peach moves or Luigi still has no Poltergust it's not unexpected, but a bit disappointing. Sakurai HAS made changes to Bowser though, so maybe there's still some hope for some of the above still.

I think the worst part for us is this is the third chance for Toad to have been included in a SSB game with SSB4 being the best opportunity for Toad supporters: No Wario to compete for Mario slots(we didn't know he would rep his own series for sure before he showed up in the Brawl trailer), very few characters that were more recognizable than Toad from Nintendo history left and with more playable inclusions within platformers than ever before, he seemed to be in a decent position.

It's hard to see how his chances could improve for future Smash games too at this point, but maybe if we see Ridley or an Assist Trophy character get in it can give us a small ray of hope for SSB5 onwards. If Sakurai budges on the addition of those characters there's always some hope for future Smash.

We're just bummed out, but we'll get over it soon, I'm sure. After all; we've always got SSB Crusade to play with(don't hold your breath for Project M though) and 3D World has just come out to cheer us up a bit.

If Toad doesn't get revealed tomorrow, my last strand of hope for Toad will probably be gone.
Sorry buddy. Just Weegee.

Just because the character is not playable in Smash 4, doesn't mean a game's sales will decline. :p
I was talking about the direction Sakurai was going with and since Horsetail said that it's only attracting the minority of whatever audience, I was thinking it could affect the sales.

I said nothing about the sales plummeting because of this. I even specifically said that the game is so underhyped (Lack of new OMG hype trailers), it might not sell well. I mean, everyone in Smashboards knows that already.

I mean, P:M and freaking SM3DW got more hype. What in names?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I was talking about the direction Sakurai was going with and since Horsetail said that it's only attracting the minority of whatever audience, I was thinking it could affect the sales.

I said nothing about the sales plummeting because of this. I even specifically said that the game is so underhyped (Lack of new OMG hype trailers), it might not sell well. I mean, everyone in Smashboards knows that already.

I don't think so much on that: Sakurai's just reserving anything hype-inducing for later times and maybe inside the game, instead of going all out like he did in Brawl Dojo. Which is why we hadn't had much new or hype-inducing so far, turning our attention to some other titles.

I'm sure that when he drops 'em (in some good point, probably around E3 2014), all of us will be sucked straight back and "everything will be forgiven". That's just the nature of the Smash community. And then there's the numerous international fans who really don't follow the game as dedicatedly as us who will be hyped just by the game alone.

If we ever could talk about sales lowering, it'd be more about Wii U's version struggling incase the console keeps on doing so itself as there's the 3DS-version.

I don't think so much on that: Sakurai's just reserving anything hype-inducing for later times and maybe inside the game, instead of going all out like he did in Brawl Dojo. Which is why we hadn't had much new or hype-inducing so far, turning our attention to some other titles.

I'm sure that when he drops 'em (in some good point, probably around E3 2014), all of us will be sucked straight back and "everything will be forgiven". That's just the nature of the Smash community. And then there's the numerous international fans who really don't follow the game as dedicatedly as us who will be hyped just by the game alone.

If we ever could talk about sales lowering, it'd be more about Wii U's version struggling incase the console keeps on doing so itself as there's the 3DS-version.
Well, damn my impatience.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
That picture is amazing.

Now that all hopes for Toad was flushed down the toilet, who do you guys think will be the next Mario representative (if there even is one)?
Junior > Rosalina > Waluigi (for obvious fan response related reasons) > Paper Mario.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks

both those titles are coming out in 2013. SSB4 is coming out sometime late 2014, or even later (if it gets delayed like the last one did). 3D World happens to be only major Wii U title vs the onslaught of two new consoles. And P:M has a hype, but its miniscule compared to even SSB4. SSB4's revealed get covered regularly by most gaming publications. It just that SSB4's hype is coming from buzz rather than trailers.

My bet for the next Mario rep will be Paper Mario, who will be an unlockable character not revealed prior to the game's release.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Agreed, I doubt it was malicious intent, that's just silly. It's not unexpected. Just disappointing for us.

Likewise if Ganondorf is a Falcon clone again, Peach has no Super Princess Peach moves or Luigi still has no Poltergust it's not unexpected, but a bit disappointing. Sakurai HAS made changes to Bowser though, so maybe there's still some hope for some of the above still.
Sakurai also made some changes to Bowser in Brawl, yet the others you mentioned were just more of the same unless you count Ganondorf being more of a Luigified clone. Wouldn't get my hopes up that much for others changing in moveset just because he made some changes to Bowser again, I guess is what I'm saying. Not to pour salt on any wounds, but Toad still being part of Peach's moveset should be reason enough for that.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Balloon Fighter had some support, but yes. Toad's the first 'big character' to get dropped.

But nevermind all that; did you play 3D World yet? How is it?
I bought the game along with Zelda ALBW... but I haven't opened them yet... I plan to play them on Christmas...

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Sakurai also made some changes to Bowser in Brawl, yet the others you mentioned were just more of the same unless you count Ganondorf being more of a Luigified clone. Wouldn't get my hopes up that much for others changing in moveset just because he made some changes to Bowser again, I guess is what I'm saying. Not to pour salt on any wounds, but Toad still being part of Peach's moveset should be reason enough for that.
Sadly this is one reason I'm now concerned for anyone with a previous role in Smash...Charizard broke free though, so there's hope for Bandanna Dee, Ridley and the assists still. Just not poor old Toad.

I bought the game along with Zelda ALBW... but I haven't opened them yet... I plan to play them on Christmas...
Acceptable! Maybe I'll let YOU know how it is first then. Without spoiling too much that is.

I wonder how long we'll be allowed this thread to stay open now he's deconfirmed...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Seeing Toad in a Brawl hack like this... only makes me want a playable Toad in Smash even more... :urg: :( :sadeyes: :crying: :cry:

D

Deleted member

Balloon Fighter had some support, but yes. Toad's the first 'big character' to get dropped.

But nevermind all that; did you play 3D World yet? How is it?
I just got the game today. It's absolutely amazing and it's definitely worth buying. I'm impressed with what Nintendo did with the game so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom