• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad parade - Oh boy it's Els--- I mean, Rosalina

What do you think will happen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I always thought Toad was likely. Like some, after Sakurai stating Peach's moveset might change I thought Toad was still possible. Now, I do not know. Maybe Sakurai is being himself. His unpredictable self. I think Toad might still come, but he is very unlikely.

Well, at least Super Mario 3D World came out.

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
I still think the chances for “a” Toad not being playable are a little debatable.

You see, when the first trailer for SSB4 was shown some people thought Toon Link was going to be dropped after seeing the non-playable Toon Link make a cameo on the Spirit Tracks stage. Then three months later, Toon Link was revealed as a returning veteran.

Not to mention I remember that before R.O.B. was revealed as a playable character in Brawl, the R.O.B. Sentries were revealed as enemies in the Subspace Emissary story mode on the Smash Dojo website. I wouldn’t even have guessed that he’d be playable after that.

I’m not saying that this all guarantees that Toad will be playable, but just expect the unexpected.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I always thought Toad was likely. Like some, after Sakurai stating Peach's moveset might change I thought Toad was still possible. Now, I do not know. Maybe Sakurai is being himself. His unpredictable self. I think Toad might still come, but he is very unlikely.

Well, at least Super Mario 3D World came out.
I felt the same way... sure, the veterans are back but I've already played as them in Melee and Brawl, whoop dee doo... and I am not hyped for Villager, Mega Man, and Wii Fit Trainer anymore... the hype died down after 3 months without no news on new newcomers... and now facing Toad's likely deconfirmation, I don't really have anything else to look forward to in SSB4. Toad was the one character I really wanted in Smash so badly... I felt in my gut that he was the one character with the best chances when compared to my other wanted characters like Tingle, Meowth, Duck Hunt Dog, Captain N, and Simon Belmont (in other words, Toad was the only one I held my breath for). It was so anticlimactic to see that Sakurai promoted Super Mario 3D World by deconfirming Toad when in the past, he promoted other games by confirming veterans and alternate costumes (the male Wii Fit Trainer).

It's clear to me how Nintendo really views Toad... Miyamoto said his least favorite character is Toad and he understood that Toad "somehow" has some popularity. Iwata acknowledged that it is rude of him to say that Toad is "surprisingly" popular. Koizumi, the producer of Super Mario 3D World and Super Mario Galaxy 2, said Toad looks pretty plain but he can be incredibly appealing if he has power-ups. Sakurai only sees Toad as nothing more than a literal bodyguard for Peach.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It's clear to me how Nintendo really views Toad... Miyamoto said his least favorite character is Toad and he understood that Toad "somehow" has some popularity. Iwata acknowledged that it is rude of him to say that Toad is "surprisingly" popular. Koizumi, the producer of Super Mario 3D World and Super Mario Galaxy 2, said Toad looks pretty plain but he can be incredibly appealing if he has power-ups. Sakurai only sees Toad as nothing more than a literal bodyguard for Peach.
I saw the rest but...really? Toad is Miyamoto's least favourite?
Well I mean that explains the N64/GCN era but he seriously ranks the Koopalings, Pauline, Tatunga, Wart, Petey, etc above Toad? Why does he constantly keep poor Waluigi and Daisy out of the platformers but puts Toad in them? Unless you mean of the Big 8, in which case that's more understandable. Seems weird they're using Toad for the additional players opposed to characters they prefer is all, and even weirder they gave Captain Toad his own game mode in 3D World. Maybe they're realizing how popular he is now finally?

I honestly don't think they hate Toad. They're just surprised he's turned out to be more popular than they figured he would. Not that surprising really; even Koopa Troopa, an enemy you stomp repeatedly is popular. If the characters that try to murder you are pretty popular, it's not THAT surprising a character who constantly aids you at every opportunity he/they can would become popular too.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't believe Nintendo has a personal vendetta against Toad. As YoshiandToad stated, they just weren't as aware of his popularity until now. Just like as the case was with Luigi back then, just give it a bit more time and Toad might get some more exposure in the Mario series than he used to now that Nintendo knows that he's a well liked character. The New Super Mario Bros games and 3D World are already a start.

I know how it feels though when you feel that the producers seem to dislike a character you like as they tend to be neglected and left behind a lot. I have a few characters I like of my own that I often wish would get some more love and attention from their creators. But It's most likely more the producers not being aware that said character is popular than them hating the character.

Don't let it get to you. ^^

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Even though I'm more of a Junior supporter, it's still sad. I wished both would make it in (Though I wish more for both DK reps).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I discovered something peculiar about Super Mario 3D World...

Apparently the blue Toad in Super Mario 3D World is the same blue Toad from the Toad Brigade...

Captain Toad is Toad. Blue Toad is Toad. Are there any other Toads I should know about?

D

Deleted member

Where the **** are his glasses? Why is he not cowardly yet brainy?

Just another classic example of people trying to correlate two Toads into one, but this time, it's not "Toad".

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Where the **** are his glasses? Why is he not cowardly yet brainy?
Contacts/laser eye surgery for the first? Knowledge is power for the second? Beats me. Although just like Luigi, Blue does flinch in the intro from Bowser twice so there is some cowardly still there.

This does seem a bit odd, but that IS undeniably the Toad Captain with every colour Toad of his team(minus Blue obviously). Maybe they simply kept Blue Brainy Toad off of that to save confusion?

What I want to know now is are the other coloured Toads in the game outside this credit? If so do they shed any light on if they're part of Captain Toad's team...?

And is the Galaxy Toad Brigade the same one that appeared in Sunshine? The colours match, they seem to be close with Peach and travel in a troop, but again Blue has no glasses(presumably because they hadn't tried to define separate personality/image traits between the Toads at that point).

NitrusVirus

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0361-6571-8413
I dont understand why people think the 3D World daily pic deconfirmed Toads chances.
>Toon Link in Spirit Tracks Stage
>Toon Link 100% considered "deconfirmed" because of that
>Toon Link was revealed anyway
science

D

Deleted member

@NitrusVirus
*Flashback to August 17th, 2007*

"Gaiz, he can still be playable! There's more than one Toad, you know!"

*Fast-forward to September 12th, 2013*

"Gaiz, he can still be playable! There's more than one Toad, you know!"

History loves to repeat itself, it seems.

Toon Link is a horrible example.
For one, "Toon Link" is Smash is specifically the Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass Link, which the stage cameo is not; it's the Spirit Tracks Link. As a train conductor.
2nd, Link already has the anomaly of having two incarnations of him playable in both Melee and Brawl (one of which being the same incarnation's child state); having a third as a stage cameo isn't as strange as having Peach pull a Toad out to defend herself with and another Toad fighting independently.
And 3rd, Link is an undeniably established character; "Toad" is a species that has been fabricated to have some "elite" member named after the species itself by America. It's like saying Koopa can still be playable if Bowser was shown to summon one to attack people.
And even if "Toad" was an established individual, if he's shown to be a meat shield, what logic is there to have him as a separate playable character?

EDIT: Look, I'm not trying to be a **** or some "Toad hater" here. But it's time people saw the harshness of reality before their own hopes and delusions crashes them down even harder than I am.

NitrusVirus

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0361-6571-8413
Toon Link is a horrible example.
For one, "Toon Link" in Smash is specifically the Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass Link, which the stage cameo is not; it's the Spirit Tracks Link. As a train conductor.
2nd, Link already has the anomaly of having two incarnations of him playable in both Melee and Brawl (one of which being the same incarnation's child state); having a third as a stage cameo isn't as strange as having Peach pull a Toad out to defend herself with and another Toad fighting independently.
And 3rd, Link is an undeniably established character; "Toad" is a species that has been fabricated to have some "elite" member named after the species itself by America. It's like saying Koopa can still be playable if Bowser was shown to summon one to attack people.
And even if "Toad" was an established individual, if he's shown to be a meat shield, what logic is there to have him as a separate playable character?

EDIT: Look, I'm not trying to be a **** or some "Toad hater" here. But it's time people saw the harshness of reality before their own hopes and delusions crashes them down even harder than I am.
I hate Toad just as much as the next guy. I dont give a **** if he doesnt get in and would rather he doesnt because hes garbage. My POINT is that people going into a panic over this **** is baseless and ********, as its comparable to Toon Links status. I get what youre saying, but Toon Link is still Toon Link. Character canon means jack **** in stuff like this, he is still the same "kind" of Link, in a similar way that OoT Link is basically TP Link even though they are distinctively different in their situations and roles. The general populace isnt going to talk about ST Link and go "Oh that Link from Spirit Tracks", theyll refer to him simply as "Toon Link".

There are many Links, as there are many Toads, thats what it all really comes down to. Its not any more or less complicated, theres no reason for it to be. Whether it makes enough sense to have one or the other or not doesnt ****in matter, ****ing ROB doesnt make enough god damn sense.

Toads chances are still just as likely as they were before.
Which is not at all might I add
but thats besides the point.

D

Deleted member

When I said "two incarnations" I'm pretty much saying it's the same character. Skyward Sword pretty much confirmed that Link is the same character each game, but reincarnated.
With that in mind, Link already breaks logic. Breaking logic even further is nothing.

(And bear in mind, I was one of those people that said Toon Link was unlikely to return.)

However, the situations do not match.
So really, you're wasting your time trying to argue that it isn't the end for a character you claim to despise and don't see happening.

NitrusVirus

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0361-6571-8413
When I said "two incarnations" I'm pretty much saying it's the same character. Skyward Sword pretty much confirmed that Link is the same character each game, but reincarnated.
With that in mind, Link already breaks logic. Breaking logic even further is nothing.

(And bear in mind, I was one of those people that said Toon Link was unlikely to return.)

However, the situations do not match.
So really, you're wasting your time trying to argue that it isn't the end for a character you claim to despise and don't see happening.
Fine whatever you got me, Im just saying that I dont get what everyones worked up about and was equating it with that situation. If Sakurai wants him in he'll get in. A pic like that doesnt confirm or deconfirm anything.

D

Deleted member

When did Toad suddenly become 100% de-confirmed? The screenie of Peach using Toad in Brawl didn't de-confirm Toad in Brawl. The release of Brawl without Toad in the character roster is what de-confirmed Toad. So, once again, how does this de-confirm Toad?

Besides, if Wii Fit Trainer can get in, then so can Toad.

D

Deleted member

"If Wii Fit Trainer can get in, then so can Toad".

Is this how far we've fallen as a society?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The inclusion of one character does not influence the inclusion of another character from an entirely different franchise.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
This is a rather weak argument as you can say this for any character.

"If Wii Fit Trainer can get in, then so can Waluigi."

"If Wii Fit Trainer can get in, then so can Cranky Kong."

"If Wii Fit Trainer can get in, then so can Midna."

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
In Melee, we had Link and Young Link... they were actually the same person but at different ages in Ocarina of Time.

I guess the Toad with red spots and blue vest is deconfirmed but Captain Toad or Blue Toad is possible, they might not have a palette swap based on Peach's Toad. Whatever... Nintendo hates Toad. He is never getting in... the Toad detractors win.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I hate Toad just as much as the next guy. I dont give a **** if he doesnt get in and would rather he doesnt because hes garbage.
Well thanks for that inspiring speech, champ.

Whilst logically this would make sense; aka Toad IS a "Nintendo All Star" whilst Wii Fit Trainer isn't(her game on the other hand IS a notable part of Nintendo history) it doesn't translate here, unfortunately, into this game of Nintendo All Stars. Ironically.

I also doubt Toad is going to be the only "Nintendo All Star" left out this time round too: K. Rool, Dixie, Ridley, Little Mac, Palutena, Bowser Jr, Paper Mario, Balloon Fighter, Isaac, Shulk, Starfy, Takamaru, Lip...at least a few of these also are not making it this time round. Wii Fit Trainer is going to get in over some of these guys too. That's presuming there's not cuts too.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I also doubt Toad is going to be the only "Nintendo All Star" left out this time round too: K. Rool, Dixie, Ridley, Little Mac, Palutena, Bowser Jr, Paper Mario, Balloon Fighter, Isaac, Shulk, Starfy, Takamaru, Lip...at least a few of these also are not making it this time round. Wii Fit Trainer is going to get in over some of these guys too. That's presuming there's not cuts too.
Agree with the sentiment. I actually wonder if Toad will ever get into a Smash game at all as a playable character.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
As long as Sakurai is the director of Smash games in the future, Toad will never be playable in Smash.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Agree with the sentiment. I actually wonder if Toad will ever get into a Smash game at all as a playable character.
Doubtful whilst Sakurai's in command. Although I'll wait and see what he has in store for Ridley, Bandanna Dee, Palutena and popular assist trophy characters like Isaac this time round before ruling it out completely for future installments.

In the meantime; I recommend downloading some SSB Crusade to get your fix of playable Smash Toad.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Now that all things' been said, what do you guys do now? I find it pointless to run around circles while just lamenting on and on how Toad missed his chances for this game.

I suggest we just move on for good with all the newfound wisdom- helps us to not expect Toad in the next game (in a surefire chance.)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Now that all things' been said, what do you guys do now? I find it pointless to run around circles while just lamenting on and on how Toad missed his chances for this game.

I suggest we just move on for good with all the newfound wisdom- helps us to not expect Toad in the next game (in a surefire chance.)
Meh... I guess we could start supporting Toad for SSB5... gives us plenty of time to work on how to "sell" Toad to the Toad detractors... how to make Toad unique... sure, we came up with many unique movesets but we didn't explain how Toad's playstyle is gonna be... how his speed and superhuman strength influence Toad's playstyle... and how that can be something new to Smash.

Oh, and we should also keep requesting Nintendo to keep including Toad as a playable character in future main Mario platformer games such as Super Mario Galaxy 3, New Super Mario Bros. 3, or even Super Mario 3D Land 2... anything to keep Toad in the spotlight... and to show the Toad detractors that Toad is not useless... that he can fight... to reinforce Toad's importance to the Mario series... Toad needs to shed his poor reputation he gained from the N64/GCN years.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Now that all things' been said, what do you guys do now?
I'll probably:
  1. Play SSB Crusade for the time being with friends and enjoy six player matches (when version 0.9 releases anyway) and enjoy my Poltergust Luigi, playable Toad, Duck Hunt Dog, Pac-Man and Porky.
  2. Lose all hype for SSB4 UNTIL we get some actual newcomer reveals or ****ing Yoshi finally(every release Yoshi is always the last of the 64 starters to be revealed). Also probably wonder exactly what Wii Fit Trainer is actually offering that makes her as unique as people say. So far her moves remind me of a generic fighting Alloy.
I'm not entirely sure WHO to look forward to now though that's the thing. I like plenty of characters, naturally, but I can't think of one who I'd actually get hyped at all for;

I like Roy, but he's already been in Melee if the worst happens or Project M when it gets a PAL release.

Meowth is popular and iconic but unlikely because Pokemon is about recency, and Puff will be there until the seas burn and the mountain's crumble...just taking his place as the popular reoccurring anime Pokemon in Smash for all eternity.

Pac-Man COULD happen still, but he is third party still and that my most wanted and most likely newcomer would then be not a Nintendo All Star pretty much sums up where I think Smash is going at this rate.

Duck Hunt Dog is cool, but unlikely. Far more recognizable than Takamaru, but a swordsman who can shoot fireballs is pretty unique.
If you ignore every swordsman and Mario/Luigi for fireball projectiles or even Link/Pit for swordsmen with a projectile attack I mean. Truly a special snowflake.

Lip, likewise is unlikely because of Takamaru, and the inclusion of Lip's Stick which going by how Toad has remained unaltered, is likely to be returning and stop her chances from being included too.

Advanced/Nintendo Wars will probably just have an assist Trophy again, which is disappointing but not unexpected. Not sure if Isaac will suffer the same fate. I'm not ruling it out though.

I like Dillon, but is it too soon for his inclusion?

There's Dixie I guess, but she has to compete with K. Rool still. I don't hate or even dislike K. Rool, but I think he's overhyped here.

I am honestly not sure who the hell can get me hyped at this point. Any suggestions for characters?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
YoshiandToad, I feel the same way you do... there are many characters I would love to play as in Smash... but many of them weren't as prominent and prolific as Toad is... and if Toad, my most-wanted character for SSB4 and an actual Nintendo All-Star, is out then I don't know who else to root for... sure, I want Little Mac and I am pretty sure he is already in as evidenced by the Punch-Out!! stage (the boxing ring) so I don't need to actively support him... and the rest, such as Dixie Kong, Duck Hunt Dog, Meowth, Tingle, Starfy, Pac-Man, Waddle Dee, Simon Belmont... they aren't as likely as I would like to think... so... my hype for SSB4 is pretty much down.

So, in the meantime, I am just gonna play Super Mario Bros. 2 with Toad only... finish all the levels with Toad only... no warp pipes vases... till it is time to open Super Mario 3D World and my Wii U bundle on Christmas... oh, and fill out Club Nintendo surveys when I register my Christmas presents and request Nintendo to keep including Toad as a playable character in future main Mario platformer games.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
YoshiandToad, I feel the same way you do... there are many characters I would love to play as in Smash... but many of them weren't as prominent and prolific as Toad is... and if Toad, my most-wanted character for SSB4 and an actual Nintendo All-Star, is out then I don't know who else to root for... sure, I want Little Mac and I am pretty sure he is already in as evidenced by the Punch-Out!! stage (the boxing ring) so I don't need to actively support him... and the rest, such as Dixie Kong, Duck Hunt Dog, Meowth, Tingle, Starfy, Pac-Man, Waddle Dee, Simon Belmont... they aren't as likely as I would like to think... so... my hype for SSB4 is pretty much down.

It is quite sad, really. I dunno when they'll see it, or have they just decided that they aren't worth it or not with "certain" quality their looking for (along with numerous other reasons).

On the more positive note, we might be only exaggarating what's to come (slippery slope?) just by analysing what happened to Toad alone. After all, we haven't even seen any newcomer since E3. That ought to give us something to think about.
I personally believe they hold back with any newcomer until some bigger event (maybe next E3), seeing how obvious a FE13-rep seems to be based on the Arena Ferox-stage being shown in the 3DS-version.

While I dunno if it helps Toad's chances by any means, just throwing this out. Things might not be all gloom after some period of time passing or some certain update. In fact who knows, there might be better times to come as we don't expect anything marginally huge anymore from this game.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wish it is an exaggeration and Sakurai eventually surprises us with a playable Toad after making us think he's deconfirmed with that November 21, 2013 Miiverse pic of the day... but I don't see that happening... like others already stated before... it is somehow not the same as the Toon Link situation in SSB4 or even the R.O.B. situation in Brawl.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Here's to SSB5 and hoping they reveal Nintendo All Star characters at the first trailer reveal!

Seriously; Megaman isn't Nintendo, Wii Fit Trainer isn't an All Star and Villager isn't technically a defined character, just an avatar that you can customize(but fits the description better than the other two at least).

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Could you guys pls stop? just because he is not playable doesnt mean they dont care about him, actually, i think peachs b move is hillarious and one of the most creative and usefull in the game.
He was choosed as a playable character in mario USA and since then he is just everywhere, one of the best drivers in mario kart and etc you know the story, come on, it turns that captain toad is the original toad and blue toad is the new toad, just what happen with cranky kong.

Sakurai and nintendo cares about the character, but the reason he is not playable and he will probably not be is because he is not popular, thats all.
Sure, you guys exist, but you are not relevant enough... sorry.

And as me and other folks here say in every page, peachs B move means nothing, he could be playable anyways, in a form of captain toad or the one we all know, this is not over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom