• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad parade - Oh boy it's Els--- I mean, Rosalina

What do you think will happen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I feel like Toad's chances are basically obliterated by last Thursday's pic.
The fact that Toad was represented by Peach's special move in a picture obviously based off of Super Mario 3D World disconfirms both Toad AND Blue Toad at the same time.
I'm waiting for Sakurai to deconfirm Captain Toad... :rolleyes:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm waiting for Sakurai to deconfirm Captain Toad... :rolleyes:
Don't get me wrong, I want Toad in a lot, but his chances have decreased a lot also.
Captain Toad was a thread I made as an alternative for the real Toad (who Captain Toad may actually be). If I had to choose one or the other, my choice would be obvious...
Blue Toad of course. :troll:

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
For the record, Tharja actually has as good a chance as Chrom. She was voted most popular Fire Emblem Awakening character, and was so popular that she's getting a figure, along with Marth, but Chrom isn't. But, this is about Toad, not Fire Emblem.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
For the record, Tharja actually has as good a chance as Chrom. She was voted most popular Fire Emblem Awakening character, and was so popular that she's getting a figure, along with Marth, but Chrom isn't. But, this is about Toad, not Fire Emblem.
Hey, you're entitled to support whoever the hell you want really, no matter their chances.

That said Awakening has three lead protagonists(Chrom, Robin/Avatar/Myunit and Lucina). Tharja isn't one of them so I'd honestly say her chances are lower than Chrom(and possibly the other two) if just for that, but support away regardless.

Speaking of which, despite Toad's chances taking a tumble (possibly into oblivion) there isn't really any reason to stop talking about Toad related movesets and the like or even discuss things like what 3D World brings to the Toad table if just for kicks.

Anyone got any ideas for a 3D World specific moveset? If you do, please spoiler them as some may not want the game's contents ruined for them.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm waiting for Sakurai to confirm normal *** Toad.. The one that's in Peach's down B because he gives no ****s.

Do you think it's still a possibility Shortie? Asking genuinely because I'd like your opinion on this.

I mean obviously I'd prefer blue waistcoat/red cap Toad because that's the one I grew up with(I'm not sure if Captain Toad is supposed to be that Toad now or not) but we've yet to see something like that happen; Charizard was removed from Pokeball Pokemon upon becoming playable for example.

Ideal situation would be Red Cap/Blue waistcoat Toad as the playable, but I guess I'd settle for the currently pushed Blue Toad who at least shares the formers speed or Captain Toad who is hinted as being the aforementioned Toad just with a different getup going on.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Okay, well here's the deal. If you were simply asking if I think he's going to be in, I would say no. But I don't think it's not possible, just not... what I would bet on. If Toad was in, I think he'll be JUST like the one that Peach uses in her down B. I don't think Toad will be in Smash though. He DOES seem to be getting a lot of attention nowadays, where four years ago NSMBWii just came out and it was revealed the two Toads were added out of laziness. Toad is a Mario mainstay at the moment. He's playing a more important role than he was then. This was my bigger issue with him. I thought Sakurai wouldn't see him as "up to snuff" compared to the other four Mario characters. This seems to be changing.

But at the end of the day, you gotta step out of the tangle that is Smash4 speculation and realize, it's just a ****ing game. Sakurai has no REAL "reasons" behind picking characters other than they would be cool / are popular / are interesting. I know when you look at Melee's choices and Brawl's choices you may think you see some sort of rhyme or reason for his choices.. but I think they were just the obvious ones. Now that the obvious choices are out of the way, this is where you start to see the weirder choices like WFT and Animal Crosser be added. Logiclly, we all thought Ridley, and Palutena would be the reveal characters. It just goes to show, he's adding characters like any other person making a fighting game would. SO WHO KNOWS. Who the **** knows. If you asked me, to pick a side, I'd say no Toad won't be in Smash, but there is no ****ing reason why Toad wouldn't be added besides Sakurai or Nintendo's personal opinion.

I do expect this roster to completely disappoint anyone who hasn't adjusted their hopes to this reality. This ain't Brawl. This ain't Melee. Sakurai's choices aren't as obvious anymore (Like adding Peach, Zelda, Dedede, ect) and this roster is going to show it. So no, I don't think Toad will be in, but I could absolutely be wrong. He's got **** going for him, for sure.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Okay, well here's the deal. If you were simply asking if I think he's going to be in, I would say no. But I don't think it's not possible, just not... what I would bet on. If Toad was in, I think he'll be JUST like the one that Peach uses in her down B. I don't think Toad will be in Smash though. He DOES seem to be getting a lot of attention nowadays, where four years ago NSMBWii just came out and it was revealed the two Toads were added out of laziness. Toad is a Mario mainstay at the moment. He's playing a more important role than he was then. This was my bigger issue with him. I thought Sakurai wouldn't see him as "up to snuff" compared to the other four Mario characters. This seems to be changing.

But at the end of the day, you gotta step out of the tangle that is Smash4 speculation and realize, it's just a ****ing game. Sakurai has no REAL "reasons" behind picking characters other than they would be cool / are popular / are interesting. I know when you look at Melee's choices and Brawl's choices you may think you see some sort of rhyme or reason for his choices.. but I think they were just the obvious ones. Now that the obvious choices are out of the way, this is where you start to see the weirder choices like WFT and Animal Crosser be added. Logiclly, we all thought Ridley, and Palutena would be the reveal characters. It just goes to show, he's adding characters like any other person making a fighting game would. SO WHO KNOWS. Who the **** knows. If you asked me, to pick a side, I'd say no Toad won't be in Smash, but there is no ****ing reason why Toad wouldn't be added besides Sakurai or Nintendo's personal opinion.

I do expect this roster to completely disappoint anyone who hasn't adjusted their hopes to this reality. This ain't Brawl. This ain't Melee. Sakurai's choices aren't as obvious anymore (Like adding Peach, Zelda, Dedede, ect) and this roster is going to show it. So no, I don't think Toad will be in, but I could absolutely be wrong. He's got **** going for him, for sure.
Wut?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Thanks for your input, Shortie... appreciate that. You are right about that SSB4 isn't Melee nor Brawl... Sakurai appears to be adding more weird yet obvious Nintendo newcomers this time. I'm not saying Sakurai isn't adding serious newcomers... just that Sakurai is probably more open-minded about weird choices now than before... Melee had Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch... Brawl had Pokemon Trainer, Olimar and R.O.B... and now SSB4 has Villager and Wii Fit Trainer.

Villager and Wii Fit Trainer don't look like they are suited for fighting but Sakurai came up with creative movesets for them. Their additions also made sense since Animal Crossing games and Wii Fit games sold millions. Clearly, those games has many fans.

Toad also doesn't look like he's suited as a fighter... probably one of the reasons most people support combative or aggressive Mario characters like Paper Mario, Waluigi, Bowser Jr., and Geno. Mario games, especially platformers, sell millions... and Toad is playable in those platformer games. So it is (maybe) possible that Toad falls in the same "weird yet obvious" category that Villager and Wii Fit Trainer do.

But I'm not enthusiastic about SSB4 anymore now that it appears likely that Toad is not going to be playable again... always snubbed by Sakurai despite the great things Toad had going for him between Brawl and SSB4.

TrainerLITTLER

Smash Ace
NNID
TrainerLITTLER
Well, I think he may be in the weird yet obvious section. Though I still think he wouldn't get in, don't say I thought Villager or Wii Fit Trainer would get in.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Thanks for your input, Shortie... appreciate that. You are right about that SSB4 isn't Melee nor Brawl... Sakurai appears to be adding more weird yet obvious Nintendo newcomers this time. I'm not saying Sakurai isn't adding serious newcomers... just that Sakurai is probably more open-minded about weird choices now than before... Melee had Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch... Brawl had Pokemon Trainer, Olimar and R.O.B... and now SSB4 has Villager and Wii Fit Trainer.

Villager and Wii Fit Trainer don't look like they are suited for fighting but Sakurai came up with creative movesets for them. Their additions also made sense since Animal Crossing games and Wii Fit games sold millions. Clearly, those games has many fans.

Toad also doesn't look like he's suited as a fighter... probably one of the reasons most people support combative or aggressive Mario characters like Paper Mario, Waluigi, Bowser Jr., and Geno. Mario games, especially platformers, sell millions... and Toad is playable in those platformer games. So it is (maybe) possible that Toad falls in the same "weird yet obvious" category that Villager and Wii Fit Trainer do.

But I'm not enthusiastic about SSB4 anymore now that it appears likely that Toad is not going to be playable again... always snubbed by Sakurai despite the great things Toad had going for him between Brawl and SSB4.
Don't hurt yourself over one character, there's plenty of characters you like left that haven't been (hopefully) deconfirmed yet.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It's true we tend to get carried away when a newcomer we want gets knocked down a few pegs. It's also true it is only a game, and we shouldn't expect ANY character as such.

But then I guess when one of your favourites gets knocked out(and let's be honest who ISN'T playing Smash to play as their favourite characters?) it's pretty irritating. More so when it's happened multiple times now, and I imagine if Tingle, Ridley or Goroh don't get in as playables their fans are going to be feeling a similar annoyance to us.
Maybe we can all create one big support group. Or we could just play Crusade. Except Goroh fans, but he'll probably get in that eventually. Hopefully.

Dixie and Palutena have decent chances, Arcadenik, and Starfy's probably got a shot too. You got newcomers you like probably on their way. Maybe not your absolute favourite, but there's some with good chances.

Of course if we do get a playable Toad reveal (Blue, Captain or Retainer) later next year I'll be doing cartwheels. Which will be especially painful as my jaw will most likely still be on the floor having dropped from disbelief and utter joy.

Also I finally get to play 3D World next week. Super excited! Maybe I'll draw a new moveset for kicks for both Blue and Captain.

MrsAccount

Smash Cadet

Cheer up, Toadlovers. I got my hands on this super-secret official Smash Bros document and I took a quick scan of it.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Hmmm...sneak peak you say?

Seems legit.

Edit: Man I was tired last night; didn't even notice that the picture had all those popular newcomers as parts of existing characters movesets!

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Again, I must say, I think people are being ridiculously short-sighted.

We had a SM3DW pic with all the main characters in a way that didn't have to reveal a newcomer.

How is that not a possibility?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Hey Toad fans; whilst not the same character I've recently done a moveset for the courageous, and just Captain Toad(control your urges ladies) over at this thread: A Brand New Toad: Toad Brigade Captain For Smash!

I'll hopefully get around to doing the Blue Toad's moveset for kicks once Captain Toad is done and dusted. If you have any specific suggestions for specials you'd like to see, feel free to tell me and I'll see what I can do. If I get multiple suggestions for the same moveset slot I may have to ask you to pick between.

@Pacack; it is a possibility and to be honest, I'm far more Toad happy now than I was last week(unsurprisingly). Now if he gets revealed it'll be more of a surprise than before since I pretty much thought for sure it was game over. Perhaps it is, but perhaps not. Regardless until the rosters ACTUALLY shown there's no reason why we can't have some fun like the Waluigi guys are having.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
@Pacack; it is a possibility and to be honest, I'm far more Toad happy now than I was last week(unsurprisingly). Now if he gets revealed it'll be more of a surprise than before since I pretty much thought for sure it was game over. Perhaps it is, but perhaps not. Regardless until the rosters ACTUALLY shown there's no reason why we can't have some fun like the Waluigi guys are having.
Honestly, we didn't learn anything that we hadn't before. We already knew toad was still a meat-shield in this version of the game. We (or at least I) also knew that we likely aren't getting any newcomers until 2014. Nothing about that picture surprised me. I knew people were going to yell deconfirmation, but I still think Toad is the most likely Mario rep. It is more than a little annoying to me that everyone's given up.

It's all because of the last piece of hope, Blue Toad. If Blue Toad ends up being an AT, I think we can bury our hopes completely.
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh, I dropped the ball for quite a while now (2 months).

Plus, I forgot about it. Thanks to Mario 3D World, Catching Fire and Frozen. I literally forgot that Toad was hopeless.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704

Yeah, I mean my thing is I don't think Sakurai sees characters as "serious" or "wierd", just characters. He's wanted to add characters for pretty much the same reasons. I'd argue Peach, Toon Link, and Wii Fit Trainer were all added because though they were good / interesting / popular choices. Which is why I think all Toad, Krystal, Ridley, and even Majora have the same "chances". They're all popular / interesting enough.

I'm excited to play it, but I think it's pretty obvious how completely up in the air this roster is.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Hey guys, I did a little something for Toad

Speedrun of Champions Road with Toad. It may be the World Record but I'm still unsure.

I like how there's a Captain Toad thread. It's really nice to know that there are still some supporters with a tiny cinch of hope within them.

He's probably not getting in but it's still nice to know

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Really? It got interesting when that was the topic.
People complaining about peachs B move is not my idea of entertainment, i still cant believe how strong was the reaction against that 3d world pic...
Just talk about the character and have fun, is just a game after all.

People complaining about peachs B move is not my idea of entertainment, i still cant believe how strong was the reaction against that 3d world pic...

Just talk about the character and have fun, is just a game after all.

I'm talking about how people view Toad now. Some people surprisingly think that Toad's still possible (While I don't, I'm such a good leader. I somewhat abandoned my own brigade).

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Speedrun of Champions Road with Toad. It may be the World Record but I'm still unsure.
You know what they say: "No matter how good you are at something, there's always someone in Japan better than you"

Either way, it's a killer run.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I'm talking about how people view Toad now. Some people surprisingly think that Toad's still possible (While I don't, I'm such a good leader. I somewhat abandoned my own brigade).
He is possible, he just never had a strong chance to appear, thats all, and thas what im saying.
I'll be sad if the move is changed for something else, even if the color of the toad she use was changed or anything... i better expect a toad redesign with a badass feel and more detailed look for smash, you guys should be happy :'''(

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

LEADER WRRRRYYY?

Well despite being all but officially deconfirmed by the roster reveal, I can't help but wanna do some movesets like I did with Captain Toad(gonna finish him first).

Here's a question:

Captain Toad or Blue Toad? Which is your Toad of choice?

Captain appears to be possibly the one we grew up with, whilst Blue is a lot more hands on of recent...who would you pick?

LEADER WRRRRYYY?

Well despite being all but officially deconfirmed by the roster reveal, I can't help but wanna do some movesets like I did with Captain Toad(gonna finish him first).

Here's a question:

Captain Toad or Blue Toad? Which is your Toad of choice?

Captain appears to be possibly the one we grew up with, whilst Blue is a lot more hands on of recent...who would you pick?
I pick blue

1) Elsa's blue
2) I like blue
3) Silver's aura is somewhere in the lines of blue
4) Toad's vest is blue
5) Green people die anyway

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
THE Toad (red spots, blue vest)
- Super Mario Bros. 2
- Wario's Woods
- Super Mario Sunshine (as the Red Toad)
- Super Mario Galaxy 1 + 2 (as Captain Toad)
- Super Mario 3D World (as Captain Toad)
- many sports/party spin-off games where there is only one playable Toad (always simply named "Toad")

Blue Toad (blue spots, blue vest)
- Super Mario Sunshine
- Super Mario Galaxy 1 + 2
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii + U
- Super Mario 3D World (simply named "Toad")
- some sports/party spin-off games where there are multiple playable Toads

Why not just give "Playable Toad in Smash" the following?
- default color is red spots and blue vest (Toad's iconic colors)
- Red Team color is based on Red Toad (THE Toad's appearance in Sunshine)
- Blue Team color is based on Blue Toad
- alternate costume is based on Captain Toad (complete with the headgear and backpack)
- superhuman strength and speed from both THE Toad and Blue Toad

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
You know what they say: "No matter how good you are at something, there's always someone in Japan better than you"

Either way, it's a killer run.

Until then I'm drinking Star Bit Champagne lol

And at this point, if he's in, He's in. No way to tell, but it points out of his favor right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom