• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad parade - Oh boy it's Els--- I mean, Rosalina

What do you think will happen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211

Louie G., Fogbadge and Rebellious Treecko. The Toad supporters I somehow missed.

You forgot me, silly! I'm a HUGE Toad supporter!

Also, I'm a bit jealous of the others and want to see Bill Cipher Toad :laugh:.

Please make one, and don't wory about what time you get it to me.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord

Louie G., Fogbadge and Rebellious Treecko. The Toad supporters I somehow missed.

I haven't been as active in this thread recent nor can I claim to be as much as the ones you've already covered, but I'm a huge supporter of Toad too, haha. Basically what APC said. :p

You don't necessarily have to create one for me, though, I'd understand if I didn't get an Iawy Toad. Though I really really really want to see how my avatar would translate to a Toad, haha.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Where is everyone? Are we all on hibernation or something?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Where is everyone? Are we all on hibernation or something?
This thread is about Toad as a playable character in Smash. This thread is not about Toad as Peach's Neutral Special move.

So, if Toad is not playable in Smash, then there's no point in discussing Toad until further notice or during SSB5 speculation.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I updated my signature with Toad support.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Is there anything to talk about?
Our beloved Toad is dead.
Dead eh? That reminds me...

Today I rediscovered something I had forgotten for many many years.

THIS is one of the bosses in Wario's Woods:

That's right. Toad has to square off against the Grim Reaper. Death itself. DEATH.

And you know what Toad does? He doesn't die. He doesn't cower. He doesn't fear Death nor try to run from Death. He blows him the **** up.

Skip to 4:38 to see this face off.

Toad is officially the most badass ************ in Mario.

Last edited:

That's right. Toad has to square off against the Grim Reaper. Death itself. DEATH.

And you know what Toad does? He doesn't die. He doesn't cower. He doesn't fear Death nor try to run from Death. He blows him the **** up.

Toad is officially the most badass mother****er in Mario.
No ****s give from Toad.

He just ****s off from people or ****s people.

I'm an awesome leader. Rosalina is gonna be my main (With Villager). Elsa's the best. Toad's still cool though but ndnfksdjkdklafnalsfjaskjfnvskdcvskjdfnsdflk

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo

Toad is officially the most badass mother****er in Mario.

Underneath that squishy hat lies a true video game hero.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
This thread has become a lot more negative since Rosalina's reveal... I don't get it.
I really don't think it's in anyways outlandish for Mario to get two newcomers. It's f'n Mario. Over half a billion sales.
3 characters were added in Melee; 5 reps out of a cast of 25. That's a fifth of the cast!
Even if Toad was added, 6 reps outta 45-50 isn't as bad a proportion.
Especially considering Mario last gen was much, MUCH more successful than Mario the gen before.
I mean, there are a couple Nintendo All-Stars left to be added, but I think Toad is the only one left who's a veritable icon.
He predates all the other Mario characters bar the bros, Peach and Bowser.
And using the last-gen home console logic, he's got NSMB Wii under his belt. It sold more'n twice as much as Galaxy.
TWICE AS MUCH.
And Toads were still heavily featured in Galaxy. Didn't see no Rosalina in NSMB. Yet Galaxy was enough to see her in.
Can't really counter that logic with 3D World or Mario Kart, either.
Like, I genuinely can't believe people doubt it. Am I being crazy? There's no other character I see as more likely.
Regardless, put me down as one of your toad brigade or whatever, please and thank you <3

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
This thread has become a lot more negative since Rosalina's reveal... I don't get it.
I really don't think it's in anyways outlandish for Mario to get two newcomers. It's f'n Mario. Over half a billion sales.
3 characters were added in Melee; 5 reps out of a cast of 25. That's a fifth of the cast!
Even if Toad was added, 6 reps outta 45-50 isn't as bad a proportion.
Especially considering Mario last gen was much, MUCH more successful than Mario the gen before.
I mean, there are a couple Nintendo All-Stars left to be added, but I think Toad is the only one left who's a veritable icon.
He predates all the other Mario characters bar the bros, Peach and Bowser.
And using the last-gen home console logic, he's got NSMB Wii under his belt. It sold more'n twice as much as Galaxy.
TWICE AS MUCH.
And Toads were still heavily featured in Galaxy. Didn't see no Rosalina in NSMB. Yet Galaxy was enough to see her in.
Can't really counter that logic with 3D World or Mario Kart, either.
Like, I genuinely can't believe people doubt it. Am I being crazy? There's no other character I see as more likely.
Regardless, put me down as one of your toad brigade or whatever, please and thank you <3
I admire you kid, I was once like you, and I still in a way still am, believing Toad still has that 1% chance. However, at this point he is extremely unlikely.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, while many of us are still supporting for Toad... most of us now feel that it is hopeless for Toad to ever be playable in Smash... now I understand why ChronoBound said Toad is very popular in Japan but many Japanese fans there are very pessimistic about Toad's chances in Smash and they would rather not get disappointed again if they supported Toad... hence Toad doesn't get much support in Japan...

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
I just kinda don't get it. Toad is not only stronger than the Mario Brothers themselves, but he has a speed advantage, access to every Mario power-up EVER, some abilities of his own as represented in the spin-off games, a good history with not only Nintendo gaming but gaming itself, and thanks to his playable appearances in the New Super Mario Bros. series and 3D World (no matter what way you see the Blue Toad/Yellow Toad/Toad thing), its proven that he has at least some courage. I mean, it's even been mentioned by Nintendo themselves that the Toads' platforming skills match up with Mario's.

I understand Rosalina does have a lot of good moves (what with being, I don't know, the watcher of the Mushroom Universe), but Toad still is a popular guy. Popularity isn't everything, I know, but it's a big thing. Look at Rosalina; she's a popular character, and many consider her better than Princess Peach herself. She only first appeared in 2007 (I think), compared to Toad's 25+ years with the Mario franchise. Especially in recent years, Toad has been a bigger guy. I'm starting to think that he's more important in the mainstream Mario games than Yoshi, and that's saying something (evidence: NSMBW/U- Yoshi only appears a few times, while Blue and Yellow Toad are important heroes along with the brothers. 3D Land/World- Toads appear in both, while Yoshi doesn't. Actually, not so sure about 3D Land, but I know for a fact 3D World is missing Yoshi. That being said, Yoshi is still pretty awesome.)

Unfortunately, one popularity defect that Toad has is not his personality or even his voice; ironically, it's the spin-off games. Look at the Mario and Sonic titles; Sega and Nintendo chose their all-stars, and it's not very encouraging that characters such as Waluigi and Bowser Jr. (no offense) have appeared as playable characters while Toad remains the host. Of course, this could be Nintendo acknowleding his role in many of the first games (e.g. Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, and even newer games Toads are helpers as well as heroes). But even in the Mario-only spin-offs, Toad appears as playable mainly in Mario Kart and Mario Party (even in Party, he didn't appear as playable until 5). Mario Sports titles even leave him out sometimes, with an exception of Sports Mix and the others. I wonder if he's regarded as important in the baseball games, since he doesn't even have his own team (in comparison, even Birdo has his/her own team, not to mention Waluigi and Bowser Jr.) However, heavy emphasis on Mario Kart is helpful since that's probably the most popular spin-off series.

Point is, Toad still has some chance. Not a whole lot, but still some. I just don't understand why a staple is represented as a minor character, especially an important staple. Maybe I'm just ignorant or new. I don't know anymore.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
I'm on board with Maffewt and Albo. Rosalina and Toad don't have to be mutually exclusive, and there's no reason to mope around and declare Toad as "dead" until the game is out and we have access to the full roster. Besides, when was "speculation" defined as something we could do only if there was reasonable certainty that a character would be included? Speculation is for fun, whether or not the character even has a snowball's chance (which Toad more than does.) So buck up, Toad Brigade, and let's keep the fire burning!

On that note, I was thinking about possible Event Stages that Toad could be featured in. Here's a few thoughts:

1. Play as Bowser against a line-up of Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, and Rosalina on the Galaxy stage. (titled THEY STARTED IT!!!)

2. Play as your pick of Mario, Luigi, Peach, or Toad (or Rosi), and make it to the end of the New Super Mario Bros stage on 1 life. (title... idk)

3. Play as (regular) Toad against a horde of other (alt palette) Toads! (titled THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE)

4. Play as Toad against Wario... in the woods... with falling blocks. (titled WARIO's WOODS, or something)

Last edited:

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I hate how people use NSMB as some sort of irrefutable evidence of Toad's relevance and worthiness. They used him because there wasn't anyone else available to use. They were rescuing Peach so she couldn't be playable, Yoshi was condemned to his original role, and Wario is doing Wario stuff now. However, I will consider Doki Doki Bros and 3D World as a testament to Toad being.... present in the Mario series.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
For the record, I certainly don't "expect" him. I've learned to expect little for/from games, and thus I'm often pleasantly surprised. It's not that I come in with "low expectations," but with few expectations. The ones that I do have are usually pretty high, but I don't go in thinking that there's gonna be all these features and doodads that aren't guaranteed.

I guess that's why I'm so optimistic about Toad. I'm thinking under the guidelines of "IF he's in, this and that would be really cool!" Not that he's guaranteed. And don't get me wrong, I want him in the game in the worst way. Toad's one of my all time favorite gaming characters, and I personally believe he's an obvious and needed addition. But I'm not making the game, so my personal opinion means very little to its development. I'm sure I'll love SSB4 when it comes out, and between now and its release I'm gonna speculate about my favorite character. I wanna discuss what could (and indeed, may) happen if Toad makes the cut, not agonize over whether or not it's an actuality.

I don't mean to be flippant toward anyone who does feel disappointment over Toad's seemingly diminished likelihood of inclusion. I just personally feel we don't have to hold a post mortem for the guy.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
For the record, I certainly don't "expect" him. I've learned to expect little for/from games, and thus I'm often pleasantly surprised. It's not that I come in with "low expectations," but with few expectations. The ones that I do have are usually pretty high, but I don't go in thinking that there's gonna be all these features and doodads that aren't guaranteed.

I guess that's why I'm so optimistic about Toad. I'm thinking under the guidelines of "IF he's in, this and that would be really cool!" Not that he's guaranteed. And don't get me wrong, I want him in the game in the worst way. Toad's one of my all time favorite gaming characters, and I personally believe he's an obvious and needed addition. But I'm not making the game, so my personal opinion means very little to its development. I'm sure I'll love SSB4 when it comes out, and between now and its release I'm gonna speculate about my favorite character. I wanna discuss what could (and indeed, may) happen if Toad makes the cut, not agonize over whether or not it's an actuality.

I don't mean to be flippant toward anyone who does feel disappointment over Toad's seemingly diminished likelihood of inclusion. I just personally feel we don't have to hold a post mortem for the guy.
That is reasonable. I, however, will be casually lurking in here most of the time.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
That is reasonable. I, however, will be casually lurking in here most of the time.
Heh, I'm usually just a lurker, too. That's why I've only got 13 comments (now 14) under my belt. I seldom jump into the conversation, but the Toad thread needs to keep a little life in it. I don't wanna see him sink behind all the other speculations until it's all over.

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
After Rosalina's reveal and realizing how special Sakurai made her (I don't like to use the word "uniqueness" because Toad is also unique), my hopes for Toad being playable have diminished quite a bit. I have said before that Toad is not quite the total package for a great newcomer considering everything he can do, the Mario Bros. and Peach can also do.

However, I think Sakurai can make any character as special as Rosalina. I can tell he's really upping his game this time. The problem is that six Mario characters may be too much and he's already featured in Peach's move set. Those are two strikes, but he's certainly not out. As I see it, he has one more chance: DLC. That's what I'm hoping for. The resources for his character model are already there. If they can just polish it and increase it to Mario's height, it'd be relatively easy money making.

Toad's fate isn't sealed until we have the final roster. That is for certain.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
I perdonally think Toad's chances are next to none, but I still check this place out every once in a while. It's kinda fun seeing speculation, only its price is disappointment..

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
However, I will consider Doki Doki Bros and 3D World as a testament to Toad being.... present in the Mario series.
Well, it's a step up from King K. Rool in DK at current. :p Still, thanks Welshy91. That musta hurt ya to say.

I'd like to say I'm still hopeful for Toad's inclusion, but...I'm not. Not even for the DLC, which admittedly would be insanely easy to implement since like Forcerounds suggested the model resources are already set up.

Still something like not having a good chance is not gonna stop me talking about him or anything or singing his praises.

BTW to those who haven't received their custom Toads yet; I haven't forgotten, just got bogged down with some other stuff. Some of which is actually still Toad related.

To the Toad Brigade I'd like to remind you that Toad's third and (probably) final round in Rate Their Chances is going to begin in the next couple of weeks. His chances are shot(will be surprised if he gets even 1% chance score overall), but it'd be nice to get some lovely Toad want conversations on there to show he does have some support and fans.

To the Toad Brigade I'd like to remind you that Toad's third and (probably) final round in Rate Their Chances is going to begin in the next couple of weeks. His chances are shot(will be surprised if he gets even 1% chance score overall), but it'd be nice to get some lovely Toad want conversations on there to show he does have some support and fans.
I'm too lazy

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I hate how people use NSMB as some sort of irrefutable evidence of Toad's relevance and worthiness. They used him because there wasn't anyone else available to use. They were rescuing Peach so she couldn't be playable, Yoshi was condemned to his original role, and Wario is doing Wario stuff now. However, I will consider Doki Doki Bros and 3D World as a testament to Toad being.... present in the Mario series.
They could have used Wario and Waluigi... they could have used yellow Mario palette swap and blue Luigi palette swap from Melee/Brawl... they could have changed the storyline to allow Peach to be playable... but they chose Toad instead.

Also, why would you consider Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario 3D World as a testament to Toad being present in the Mario series? Toad(s) is/are present in most of the Mario games... only notable exceptions I can think of are Super Mario World, Super Mario Land games, and New Super Mario Bros. DS. If you are just counting playable roles in the platformer games... if that's the case, then New Super Mario Bros. games should be counted as well. There is no need to cherry pick.

I hate how people use NSMB as some sort of irrefutable evidence of Toad's relevance and worthiness. They used him because there wasn't anyone else available to use.
Toad was already planned from the beginning.

The end.

If this is true then they should have outright replaced Toad in Super Mario 3D World and replaced him with Rosalina since they "figured out" a way on how to work other characters.... But instead, Toad was still the starter while Rosalina was the unlockable. BUT then again, she's playable in Smash for the sake of quirks and character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom