• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad parade - Oh boy it's Els--- I mean, Rosalina

What do you think will happen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Basically. I hope I'll be proven wrong in some way because I really want to see Toad but we gotta keep low profile and watch how things turn out. This might only be a meme of it's little time, or actually something significant.

The battle might truly be over when the full roster's revealed...

Was it that Cheshire Cat Studios one? I felt he may have a point about the musicals but I think he may have been reaching regarding the art style being a problem.

But curses, my one leverage over you gone. Damn.
It's called a critical review for a reason :p

I might put 100% chance in the thread and state, "Because I'm the law and what I state is always cool"

That sounds legit

D

Deleted member

So...because a background element for a stage is replaced when a certain character is played as.....it means there's a chance for a character's move to be changed when a different character is played as?

.....There is so much facepalm, it's not even funny.
I mean, it was one thing for the whole "Blue Toad as playable Toad while Red n' Blue Toad is Toad Shield" logic, as that at least made sense (until Rosalina came into the picture). But this? It's grasping at straws that aren't even there!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So...because a background element for a stage is replaced when a certain character is played as.....it means there's a chance for a character's move to be changed when a different character is played as?

.....There is so much facepalm, it's not even funny.
I mean, it was one thing for the whole "Blue Toad as playable Toad while Red n' Blue Toad is Toad Shield" logic, as that at least made sense (until Rosalina came into the picture). But this? It's grasping at straws that aren't even there!
Yes, we are clearly all taking this as a dead cert. I mean obviously, right?

Thank god you're here to explain to us repeatedly why it's bad to still enjoy supporting a character that's been disconfirmed Golden.

D

Deleted member

Yes, we are clearly all taking this as a dead cert. I mean obviously, right?

Thank god you're here to explain to us repeatedly why it's bad to still enjoy supporting a character that's been disconfirmed Golden.
There's supporting a disconfirmed character, and then there's deluding yourself to believing there's a chance that the disconfirmed is not actually disconfirmed when something unrelated is revealed.

Not saying the latter applies to you, but it does apply to quite a few people across multiple boards.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Why still support a character that won't be on the roster?
Because we actually like the character regardless of chances? I don't support characters just because I think they are totally going to be on the roster.

D

Deleted member

Why still support a character that won't be on the roster?
There's still supporting the character for the sake of supporting the character. Even if you can't support them for the upcoming game.

For example, if Waluigi is confirmed to be an Assist again (which at this point is only a matter of time...), I'll still support Waluigi. I just won't support him for Wii U/3DS as that ship would have sailed.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I doubt Toad's in. There's 5 mario characters, playable toad was not in the Super Mario 3D World group shot, he's one of Peach's moves still, and Blue Toad's in the background of the Mario Galaxy stage.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
*sees pic of day*
*Raises eyebrow*
Hopes still down.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
The only way the Toad fans can feel better is if one of the elite-4 characters become part of a character's move. :troll:
You joke Blue, but if for whatever reason Palutena doesn't get in as playable...this is what she'd be to Pit.

I don't think I'd feel better honestly.

Although admittedly seeing K. Rool being used by Dixie or Cranky Kong as a bludgeoning weapon would be the funniest thing ever.

Captain Toad

Smash Apprentice
If I don't support my favourite character, then what's the point in caring about this game at all?

I like Toad, I grew up with Toad, I jump at every chance to play him in any Mario game. It's called liking a character.

Do I think Toad will get in? No, because Nintendo seem insistent on not acknowledging how much of an important and great character that Toad is to the Mario series. He's an Allstar of the Mario world, and Super Smash Bros was meant to be a game of allstars.

It's also kind of an insult that Wii Fit Trainer was put in before Toad, Ridley, King K Rool, Dixie, anyone else of relevance ever. I mean really? Over Toad? Over King K Rool (Who's apparently the most requested character over all?)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If I don't support my favourite character, then what's the point in caring about this game at all?

I like Toad, I grew up with Toad, I jump at every chance to play him in any Mario game. It's called liking a character.

Do I think Toad will get in? No, because Nintendo seem insistent on not acknowledging how much of an important and great character that Toad is to the Mario series. He's an Allstar of the Mario world, and Super Smash Bros was meant to be a game of allstars.

It's also kind of an insult that Wii Fit Trainer was put in before Toad, Ridley, King K Rool, Dixie, anyone else of relevance ever. I mean really? Over Toad? Over King K Rool (Who's apparently the most requested character over all?)
I'll admit Wii Fit Trainer is a character I'm finding less and less hilarious with each popular character deconfirmation. Particularly because she doesn't seem quite as unique and exciting as many are making out her to be.

Starfy hopefully is at least not as useless as last time as an AT.

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Last edited:

Captain Toad

Smash Apprentice
Same, it would be nice to see some more characters confirmed, instead of lots just being deconfirmed.

I would still love to discover that we'd all been trolled and that Toad is actually in, but I can't really keep my hopes up with that pipe dream.

D

Deleted member

Koopa and Goomba are just as much All-Stars as Toad is. Guess Nintendo is insistent on not acknowledging how much of important and great characters they are to the Mario series either.

Over Toad? Understandable.
A species of side characters for an already well-represented franchise vs. a major NPC of a newer franchise that has done exceptionally well? Yeah, I'll take the latter, thank you very much.

Over K. Rool? For one, we don't know K. Rool isn't in the game, so we can't act as if WFT was "put in before" him. Or anyone else "of relevance" either.
For two, yes, a lack of K. Rool would be disappointing, but nothing to ***** about WFT over. I'm guessing you're one of those people that absolutely hated that R.O.B. was in Brawl, huh?

It's amazing how you target your rage against WFT, when it's Rosalina who pretty much ****ed things up for your precious Toad.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Koopa and Goomba are just as much All-Stars as Toad is. Guess Nintendo is insistent on not acknowledging how much of important and great characters they are to the Mario series either.

A species of side characters for an already well-represented franchise vs. a major NPC of a newer franchise that has done exceptionally well? Yeah, I'll take the latter, thank you very much.

Over K. Rool? For one, we don't know K. Rool isn't in the game, so we can't act as if WFT was "put in before" him. Or anyone else "of relevance" either.
For two, yes, a lack of K. Rool would be disappointing, but nothing to ***** about WFT over. I'm guessing you're one of those people that absolutely hated that R.O.B. was in Brawl, huh?

It's amazing how you target your rage against WFT, when it's Rosalina who pretty much ****ed things up for your precious Toad.
Let the newcomer have their say about Toad in the Toad thread.

When you can play as a Koopa or Goomba in a platformer, then yes I'll accept Koopa and Goomba as a character. Captain Toad is a character. This is obvious, he has a title now and a unique name and look.

I think it's fine to be disappointed with a character choice, regardless of whether or not it affected a choice you like directly. Bkupa sums up how I feel about Wii Fit Trainer quite well.

Come, come, Golden. Was there not a character choice ever picked that you disliked?

Also, that seemed like quite a mild rage. You seem ragier in all honesty.

Oh and...

I would still love to discover that we'd all been trolled and that Toad is actually in, but I can't really keep my hopes up with that pipe dream.

Last edited:

Captain Toad

Smash Apprentice

Koopa and Goombas have never been properly playable (I think Koopa was once in one of the tennis games, but honestly can't recall), but if they were, and in a number of games, and one of each respective species was given a defining personality then why not in some later Smash when the respective characters have earned that, (e.g: world wide when people saw the image of one of those, they would be all: Oh, that's Koopa, who I beat <insert Mario title here> and <insert another mario title here> with.)

I didn't hate that R.O.B was in Brawl, I was about to say that he was in two games, but then discovered that Wii Fit also now has two games, I suppose I shouldn't have been that surprised.

As for Rosalina, I'm reasonably indifferent to her. I don't hate her, and think that her playing style could make the game interesting, as well as a bit more unique, I just am not amazingly excited by the prospect of her being in the game as I would have well...Toad. Don't worry, I'll give her time, she might also get to kill the Grim Reaper.

YoshiandToad: Nice picture.

Last edited:
Well I don't know about you guys, but don't get your hopes up.

It's still not possible---- I mean, likely.

Said that a page ago.

I'm bored

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Being a toad fan is an interesting experience. That much is certain.

D

Deleted member

Let the newcomer have their say about Toad in the Toad thread.
They had their say. And I had mine.

When you can play as a Koopa or Goomba in a platformer, then yes I'll accept Koopa and Goomba as a character. Captain Toad is a character. This is obvious, he has a title now and a unique name and look.
Captain Toad is just like Toadsworth; a distinct individual, yet not particularly major of a character. And even then, Toadsworth has appeared more frequently than Captain Toad's three appearances total.
Unless you're trying to insinuate that "The Toad" exists and Captain Toad is him. In which case, you'd be wrong on the basis that "The Toad" doesn't exist (which I've already discussed).

I think it's fine to be disappointed with a character choice, regardless of whether or not it affected a choice you like directly. Bkupa sums up how I feel about Wii Fit Trainer quite well.
Disappointment is one thing. ******** about it and going as far as to say it's insulting is another.

Come, come, Golden. Was there not a character choice ever picked that you disliked?
Yes. There are quite a few. Ironically, Wii Fit Trainer is one of them because I found her inclusion to be quite random.
But, it'd be stupid for me to ***** about them just because someone I wanted more/felt was more deserving didn't make the cut. Instead, I look to positives. For example, while random, WFT made quite a lot of sense in the long run and I see her as Smash 4's Captain Falcon.

Also, that seemed like quite a mild rage. You seem ragier in all honesty.
...I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are you saying I came off as more raging than I intended, or that my words were mild yet hiding undertones of a deeper rage (a.k.a. Tranquil Fury)?

Koopa and Goombas have never been properly playable (I think Koopa was once in one of the tennis games, but honestly can't recall), but if they were, and in a number of games, and one of each respective species was given a defining personality then why not in some later Smash when the respective characters have earned that, (e.g: world wide when people saw the image of one of those, they would be all: Oh, that's Koopa, who I beat <insert Mario title here> and <insert another mario title here> with.)
Koopas have been playable in many Mario games. Granted, none of them were platformers, which people seem to think are the only games that matter.
Goombas, not as much. Only games I remember Goombas being playable are the Baseball games.

There are individual Koopas and Goombas that have their own personalities like Koops, Kooper, Goombario, Goombella, etc.
And if you want to get technical, the playable Koopa from the Mario Kart franchise has his own thing going on, same with the Goomba from the Baseball games.
However, the main point I need to get across is that just like Koopas and Goombas, there is no "major" member of the species that goes by the name of the species itself. Except maybe in things like the Kart games, but there's no way to prove for example, if "Toad" from Mario Kart is the same "Toad" that's in Mario Sports Mix.

And before you bring up "The Toad", that's just a concept formed in America because of media such as the Super Mario Bros. Super Show cartoon and our Super Mario Bros. 2. It's gotten completely out of hand to the point that people point at every Toad with a playable role and label them as "The Toad". Except when they're not. Such as Captain Toad. Even though it's the same specific captain of the Toad Brigade in the Galaxy games and 3D World, apparently he's "The Toad" in Galaxy and Galaxy 2, while he's not in 3D World, and the playable blue Toad is "The Toad" and isn't "Blue Toad" from the New Super Mario Bros. titles.
I'm actually going to make a video about this one of these days.

I didn't hate that R.O.B was in Brawl, I was about to say that he was in two games, but then discovered that Wii Fit also now has two games, I suppose I shouldn't have been that surprised.
Actually, Wii Fit is going on three games now.
And it's apparently bad if you're only in one game? What does that make the Ice Climbers, then?

As for Rosalina, I'm reasonably indifferent to her. I don't hate her, and think that her playing style could make the game interesting, as well as a bit more unique, I just am not amazingly excited by the prospect of her being in the game as I would have well...Toad. Don't worry, I'll give her time, she might also get to kill the Grim Reaper.
I see.
What does that last sentence mean, though?

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman

I am by no means a Toad supporter, just stopped in due to it being on the 1st page, but this argument doesn't make any sense. You're comparing a generic enemy with no personality to an actual character. Even if Toad is a species there is a specific character named Toad just as there is a Yoshi. This is pretty much the equivalent of saying Waddle Doo and Gordos are as important as the new specific Waddle Dee as well (which I'm guessing if you use this logic that you would do the same for him?). Not to mention, Toad is actually a popular character in general in Japan (though not really for Smash) while the other two....? You're also forgetting the biggest point of it all, that Toad is no longer just a regular NPC but an actual playable character in the main series. (The new Toad, while Blue is still considered THE TOAD).

I do however agree with most everything else you said. WFT isn't really taking anybody else's place at all nor was she put in before "insert popular character here". It's silly to get worked up over something you can't change anyways. And yeah, if anybody messed up Toad's chances it is Rosalina (who is a good edition anyways.)

EDIT: Also the Koopa Troopa from Mario Kart and such is not considered its own character but still a species. Not to mention Bowser is known as "Koopa" in Japan.

DOUBLE EDIT: Also, if THE Toad is only something American then how come there is a "Kinopio" in Japan while the rest of the species is called "Kinoko-zu". There only seems to be one Kinopio in Japan.

TRIPLE EDIT: Not to mention, Captain Toad is considered a DIFFERENT TOAD guys on the Mariowiki. Honestly, on the very top of the page it says: Not to be confused with Toad.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
They had their say. And I had mine.

Captain Toad is just like Toadsworth; a distinct individual, yet not particularly major of a character. And even then, Toadsworth has appeared more frequently than Captain Toad's three appearances total.
Unless you're trying to insinuate that "The Toad" exists and Captain Toad is him. In which case, you'd be wrong on the basis that "The Toad" doesn't exist (which I've already discussed).
I am not. But I do consider Captain Toad to be the same Toad as the Red Toad in Mario Sunshine, where Toadsworth debuted. Since the rest of the Brigade colours are there, and Captain Toad did appear with a red vest originally much like the most talkative Toad in Sunshine I'd suggest that that was the beginning of the Toad Brigade idea. Obviously this is highly speculative, but I also believe this is the first time we saw those five different coloured Toads hanging out together.

Theories ho!

Disappointment is one thing. *****ing about it and going as far as to say it's insulting is another.
Alright, I'll give you that.

Yes. There are quite a few. Ironically, Wii Fit Trainer is one of them because I found her inclusion to be quite random.
But, it'd be stupid for me to ***** about them just because someone I wanted more/felt was more deserving didn't make the cut. Instead, I look to positives. For example, while random, WFT made quite a lot of sense in the long run and I see her as Smash 4's Captain Falcon.
Random is quite the understatement, but yes due to sales and influences she makes sense. Sort of. Arguably no more of a character than "The Toad" though(aka; not a character). I get the feeling when we finally get to play as her the concerns will fade, but right now she does feel a bit...how can I put this eloquently? Wire Framey? If that makes sense.

...I'm not sure what you're saying here. Are you saying I came off as more raging than I intended, or that my words were mild yet hiding undertones of a deeper rage (a.k.a. Tranquil Fury)?
I didn't word that well. It was the former. I was saying you were coming off as angrier than the person you were claiming was angry.

And before you bring up "The Toad", that's just a concept formed in America because of media such as the Super Mario Bros. Super Show cartoon and our Super Mario Bros. 2. It's gotten completely out of hand to the point that people point at every Toad with a playable role and label them as "The Toad". Except when they're not. Such as Captain Toad. Even though it's the same specific captain of the Toad Brigade in the Galaxy games and 3D World, apparently he's "The Toad" in Galaxy and Galaxy 2, while he's not in 3D World, and the playable blue Toad is "The Toad" and isn't "Blue Toad" from the New Super Mario Bros. titles.
Maybe it's just me, but I've never considered Blue Toad as "The Toad" since whilst one can change a jacket, I find the cap(still not sure if that's canonically a hat or his head) the defining feature. Captain Toad is surely the same Toad as the ones in the Galaxy games. To think Blue Toad = 'The Toad' whilst at the same time thinking Captain Toad = 'The Toad' in Galaxy is a ridiculous notion, and the Mariowiki really should just stick to one or the other.

And it's apparently bad if you're only in one game? What does that make the Ice Climbers, then?
Unusual.

We both know deep down any two player character could of done the Ice Climbers gimmick. It's not like the gimmick is based on the game's actual mechanics after all. It only works better with Nana and Popo over any other character because they are Ice Climbers; thus probably use a rope during ascents to keep them connected(although I can't recall them using it in game).

I see.
In Wario's Woods one of the boss characters is the Grim Reaper:

Toad blows him up.

Thus Toad(or Wario's Woods Toad) has killed Death, the Grim Reaper, itself.

Canonically explaining why you can get continues in Mario games. Not really, but still. He blew DEATH up. That's pretty cool.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
As much as I like Toad, I think I'm leaning more towards a Toad game than Toad in Smash.

Captain Toad

Smash Apprentice
As much as I like Toad, I think I'm leaning more towards a Toad game than Toad in Smash.
A Toad game would be awesome, though unfortunately not sure if that seems more likely than Toad getting into Smash, not going to hold my breath for either really. (As cool as it would be.)

Toad's proven he's got potential, even if they did puzzle based games like Wario Woods and Captain Toad's levels in 3D world I think that could be cool, or something exploratory, it would also add a different perspective, much like what Luigi's mansion did for well Luigi. (The best jumper from SMB2 and most other Mario games, in a game which involves no jumping. Must have felt like a big risk at the time, but it paid off.)

Oops I missed Goldens post earlier, so I better get on that.

Disappointment is one thing. *****ing about it and going as far as to say it's insulting is another.
Alright, I'll submit to that, perhaps insulting was too strong of a word, for what I was trying to get across. WFT trainer was an addition that came the hell out of nowhere. It was just: "Errrr okay? I don't know who was requesting her..."And can't help that feel that if other characters aren't added/revealed to be in the game such as Dixie, Ridley, King K Rool, <Fire Emblem Rep though no doubt will and will probably be Chrom>, Pacman (as one of the father's of gaming to go alongside Game & Watch, and R.O.B, as well as Megaman, Mario and Sonic as one of the most iconic characters ever made), Palutena (Who may well now be a dead cert unlike currently the others aren't, though sure hope they'll be), etc, her rather random edition will be far less funny.
As you mentioned she might end up being one of the main faces of SSB, like Captain Falcon, with her own rule set that others must adhere to if someone on screen is playing as her (e.g.: No one is allowed to attack until Falcon has done his taunt, Falcon must taunt before doing any moves, etc) which could make for interesting matches.

There are individual Koopas and Goombas that have their own personalities like Koops, Kooper, Goombario, Goombella, etc.
And if you want to get technical, the playable Koopa from the Mario Kart franchise has his own thing going on, same with the Goomba from the Baseball games.
However, the main point I need to get across is that just like Koopas and Goombas, there is no "major" member of the species that goes by the name of the species itself. Except maybe in things like the Kart games, but there's no way to prove for example, if "Toad" from Mario Kart is the same "Toad" that's in Mario Sports Mix.
I would like to see Goombella in more things, in fact I had this discussion with a friend yesterday, bringing up her as an example of an enjoyable character from Paper Mario. The companions were brilliant made the game far more fun. So in that sense if Nintendo gave her and other 'minion' classed characters more, then yes, I'd be all for that.

I'm actually going to make a video about this one of these days.
Then I think we'll need someone to clear this all up, just look at the posts above. Toad and Captain Toad are causing mass mushroom based confusion.

Not gonna lie, another choice I found a bit random.

Ahhh, as YoshiandToad mentioned, Toad kills the Grim Reaper in Wario's Woods, so it was a geeky reference to end the post with a bit of a chuckle. It didn't work, but the intention was there.

Think I've replied to everything. If not oops.

D

Deleted member

I am by no means a Toad supporter, just stopped in due to it being on the 1st page, but this argument doesn't make any sense. You're comparing a generic enemy with no personality to an actual character. Even if Toad is a species there is a specific character named Toad just as there is a Yoshi. This is pretty much the equivalent of saying Waddle Doo and Gordos are as important as the new specific Waddle Dee as well (which I'm guessing if you use this logic that you would do the same for him?). Not to mention, Toad is actually a popular character in general in Japan (though not really for Smash) while the other two....? You're also forgetting the biggest point of it all, that Toad is no longer just a regular NPC but an actual playable character in the main series. (The new Toad, while Blue is still considered THE TOAD).
The underline already shows where your argument falls apart.
Can't go by what MarioWiki says; they fail to address how "the Toad named Toad" is nothing more than fan **** and illusion created by outside media.

EDIT: Also the Koopa Troopa from Mario Kart and such is not considered its own character but still a species. Not to mention Bowser is known as "Koopa" in Japan.
Bowser's name is irrelevant. Especially since Koopa's name in Japan is "Nokonoko".
Aside from that, under what circumstances does Mario Kart's Koopa Troopa, who has been referred to as an individual on multiple accounts (defies Bowser to join the race, has kart stolen by Wario, is friends with Yoshi in Mario Golf Toadstool Tour, is allied with Mario in Mario Party 9, etc.) not count if "Toad" does?

DOUBLE EDIT: Also, if THE Toad is only something American then how come there is a "Kinopio" in Japan while the rest of the species is called "Kinoko-zu". There only seems to be one Kinopio in Japan.
http://legendsoflocalization.com/qa-colored-toads-in-new-super-mario-bros/
http://legendsoflocalization.com/qa-toad-is-trolling-us-all/

Don't know where you're getting your information, but "Kinopio" is used for the entire species, not some individual.

TRIPLE EDIT: Not to mention, Captain Toad is considered a DIFFERENT TOAD guys on the Mariowiki. Honestly, on the very top of the page it says: Not to be confused with Toad.
The hilarious part is that is a more recent edit.
MarioWiki has been so adamant that Captain Toad of Galaxy is "Toad" while Captain Toad of 3D World is someone else. :rolleyes:
The fact they tried to cover this up by saying that 3D World contradicts what was established in Galaxy and thus, Galaxy Captain Toad is not "Toad" shows how BAD this whole "Toad" mess has become.
As I said before, every "major" Toad is "Toad", except when they're not. :laugh:
It'd be a lot easier for them to acknowledge that there IS NO "TOAD".

I am not. But I do consider Captain Toad to be the same Toad as the Red Toad in Mario Sunshine, where Toadsworth debuted. Since the rest of the Brigade colours are there, and Captain Toad did appear with a red vest originally much like the most talkative Toad in Sunshine I'd suggest that that was the beginning of the Toad Brigade idea. Obviously this is highly speculative, but I also believe this is the first time we saw those five different coloured Toads hanging out together.

Theories ho!
That is certainly more believable than the idea of there being a major Toad simply named "Toad".

Alright, I'll give you that.
Ok.

Random is quite the understatement, but yes due to sales and influences she makes sense. Sort of. Arguably no more of a character than "The Toad" though(aka; not a character). I get the feeling when we finally get to play as her the concerns will fade, but right now she does feel a bit...how can I put this eloquently? Wire Framey? If that makes sense.
Actually, she is more of a character than "The Toad". She actually exists. :troll:

I didn't word that well. It was the former. I was saying you were coming off as angrier than the person you were claiming was angry.
I actually never claimed they were being angry. I was claiming they were ******** over something not worth ******** about. On that note, that could be hypocritical of me.
But yeah, that's past; user Captain Toad (I've said "Captain Toad" so many times to refer to the character in this post) and I have come to an understanding, it seems.

Maybe it's just me, but I've never considered Blue Toad as "The Toad" since whilst one can change a jacket, I find the cap(still not sure if that's canonically a hat or his head) the defining feature. Captain Toad is surely the same Toad as the ones in the Galaxy games. To think Blue Toad = 'The Toad' whilst at the same time thinking Captain Toad = 'The Toad' in Galaxy is a ridiculous notion, and the Mariowiki really should just stick to one or the other.
They've actually decided now, believe it or not.
They're now saying 3D World retcons Captain Toad as just a plain ol' red Toad while that main blue Toad is "Toad". :rolleyes:

Unusual.

We both know deep down any two player character could of done the Ice Climbers gimmick. It's not like the gimmick is based on the game's actual mechanics after all. It only works better with Nana and Popo over any other character because they are Ice Climbers; thus probably use a rope during ascents to keep them connected(although I can't recall them using it in game).
Wait, why are you answering for Captain Toad?
I was referring in context that Captain Toad was insulted by Wii Fit Trainer due to the belief that Wii Fit was only one game, and was fine after he found out Wii Fit had two (though I corrected in saying that it's three now) and was fine with R.O.B. because he had at least two games. So I questioned what that made the Ice Climbers to him, since Ice Climber is a one-game franchise.

In Wario's Woods one of the boss characters is the Grim Reaper:

Toad blows him up.

Thus Toad(or Wario's Woods Toad) has killed Death, the Grim Reaper, itself.

Canonically explaining why you can get continues in Mario games. Not really, but still. He blew DEATH up. That's pretty cool.
I see. Though he isn't really the Grim Reaper, it still is kind of cool that a Toad has beaten a Death-like figure.
Though Mario killed the Sun. :troll:

D

Deleted member

Alright, I'll submit to that, perhaps insulting was too strong of a word, for what I was trying to get across. WFT trainer was an addition that came the hell out of nowhere. It was just: "Errrr okay? I don't know who was requesting her..."And can't help that feel that if other characters aren't added/revealed to be in the game such as Dixie, Ridley, King K Rool, <Fire Emblem Rep though no doubt will and will probably be Chrom>, Pacman (as one of the father's of gaming to go alongside Game & Watch, and R.O.B, as well as Megaman, Mario and Sonic as one of the most iconic characters ever made), Palutena (Who may well now be a dead cert unlike currently the others aren't, though sure hope they'll be), etc, her rather random edition will be far less funny.
As you mentioned she might end up being one of the main faces of SSB, like Captain Falcon, with her own rule set that others must adhere to if someone on screen is playing as her (e.g.: No one is allowed to attack until Falcon has done his taunt, Falcon must taunt before doing any moves, etc) which could make for interesting matches.
Well, when I drew the comparison between her and Falcon, I actually wasn't going to the memetic status that Falcon is, but that is definitely an apt comparison. :laugh:
I was more or less going for the connection that they were both characters from franchises that weren't among Nintendo's largest and were characters you wouldn't really expect to be in a game like Smash (since C. Falcon is from a racing series and WFT is from a fitness series).

And don't worry, I'm past the whole "insulting" thing; you seem reasonable enough due to how you handled responses to my post. ;)
I can understand your viewpoint. I remember when my friend first told me that Wii Fit Trainer was confirmed; I thought he was trolling me and I was like "Seriously...? Who is this? Why?". Then I grew to appreciate her since she did one thing that I never thought could be possible; she utterly surprised me. At a point that I thought I knew all potential candidates.

I would like to see Goombella in more things, in fact I had this discussion with a friend yesterday, bringing up her as an example of an enjoyable character from Paper Mario. The companions were brilliant made the game far more fun. So in that sense if Nintendo gave her and other 'minion' classed characters more, then yes, I'd be all for that.
I'd like to see more of a major Goomba such as Goombella get more spotlight as well, though I'm a little more biased for Goombario (even though I have not played a Paper Mario game).

Then I think we'll need someone to clear this all up, just look at the posts above. Toad and Captain Toad are causing mass mushroom based confusion.
Well, MarioWiki settled on the issue at least. Though I plan on trying to settle the whole "Toad" thing once and for all with an analyzing video.

Not gonna lie, another choice I found a bit random.
I see.
Nowadays, they seem random to me. When I first saw Melee though, I had little experience/knowledge with Nintendo titles, so they didn't seem peculiar to me.

Ahhh, as YoshiandToad mentioned, Toad kills the Grim Reaper in Wario's Woods, so it was a geeky reference to end the post with a bit of a chuckle. It didn't work, but the intention was there.
Technically not the Grim Reaper, but based off the Grim Reaper, but still. The joke applies. It just went over my head since I didn't get it. :laugh:

Think I've replied to everything. If not oops.
I think that's everything.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Actually, she is more of a character than "The Toad". She actually exists. :troll:
As do Toads and Captain Toad is the equivalent of a Toad character surely. Anyone claiming Blue is a character has shaky credentials at best.
Wii Fit Trainer is still Wii Fit Trainer whether it be male or female, so there's no THE Wii Fit Trainer anymore than there is a The Toad. The Pokemon Trainer is another example where it's not a character, whilst Red would be considered one using what we've established.

They've actually decided now, believe it or not.
They're now saying 3D World retcons Captain Toad as just a plain ol' red Toad while that main blue Toad is "Toad". :rolleyes:

There is not enough eye roll in the world for how I feel about that as the most vocal of Toad fans on this board. Granted SMB2 Toad has Blue spots in game, but he was clearly meant to be the red spotted, blue jacket variety in the art work.

Wait, why are you answering for Captain Toad?
Force of habit, sorry. Did it with Eddybearr back in October on this very thread due to him enjoying a good debate, and occasionally accidentally do it still.

I was referring in context that Captain Toad was insulted by Wii Fit Trainer due to the belief that Wii Fit was only one game, and was fine after he found out Wii Fit had two (though I corrected in saying that it's three now) and was fine with R.O.B. because he had at least two games. So I questioned what that made the Ice Climbers to him, since Ice Climber is a one-game franchise.
Ah, I see!

off topic; I'd actually quite like a revival of the Climbers game. Pity it won't happen.

I see. Though he isn't really the Grim Reaper, it still is kind of cool that a Toad has beaten a Death-like figure.
Though Mario killed the Sun. :troll:
Killed the sun? Oh, good job breaking it hero. Now starts an endless era of darkness and death. Mario; ladies and gentlemen.

Touche though

Admittedly Seizer's not THE Grim Reaper, but he does insta kill you if he touches you when he teleports in, so one could make an argument for having at least that similar ability.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I saw on Miiverse that when Toon link is fighting on the train stage the conductor changes. I thought it was funny because Toon Link being the conductor was one of the reasons he wouldn't returned.

What if Toad is a secret character and when he's on the same stage as Peach she'll use someone else (e.g. Toadsworth) for her neutral B. I know its crazy but it just seems like the kind of trolling that Sakurai would do.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I saw on Miiverse that when Toon link is fighting on the train stage the conductor changes. I thought it was funny because Toon Link being the conductor was one of the reasons he wouldn't returned.

What if Toad is a secret character and when he's on the same stage as Peach she'll use someone else (e.g. Toadsworth) for her neutral B. I know its crazy but it just seems like the kind of trolling that Sakurai would do.
It's a theory that was mentioned yesterday, but I think most the Toad supporters are well aware this is most likely a Toon Link exclusive thing and thus are avoiding setting themselves up for disappointment again.

Still it's fun to joke about it and see non Toad supporters flip out thinking we're still grasping at straws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom