• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad parade - Oh boy it's Els--- I mean, Rosalina

What do you think will happen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
Hey Toad Brigade; just had a thought:

Since each addition of Smash is essentially based off the last gen(for the most part) and Rosalina's been picked because of Mario Galaxy...maybe Toad does have hope for SSB5, since the big Mario games of the Wii U(at least to this point) all have Blue Toad (and one other Toad, either Yellow or Captain) as a playable option; Super Mario 3D World, NSMBWii U, New Super Luigi Bros. U.

I mean obviously this possible theory trips up ever so slightly in Brawl when we didn't get Bowser Jr, but I thought it might be worth considering for future games, since in SSB5 we're likely to get something from 3D World. Why not Toad?
Yes, that is only half a decade away (at best); but it is better than nothing. I mean, you have been waiting since Melee. So it isn't like you aren't used to the pain of Toad's non-inclusion. :bee:

In all seriousness, I feel like Rosalina was a sign that importance to a series doesn't mean much for this game. We already have the essentials, so he decided to pick the one with the most potential. He might change his criteria for Smash X though. I just think that he used Brawl to get all of the necessaries and now we are focusing on move-set variation (though one could EASILY argue that Toad is a necessary). Then again, I might be reading too much into Rosalina's choice.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Hey Toad Brigade; just had a thought:

Since each addition of Smash is essentially based off the last gen(for the most part) and Rosalina's been picked because of Mario Galaxy...maybe Toad does have hope for SSB5, since the big Mario games of the Wii U(at least to this point) all have Blue Toad (and one other Toad, either Yellow or Captain) as a playable option; Super Mario 3D World, NSMBWii U, New Super Luigi Bros. U.

I mean obviously this possible theory trips up ever so slightly in Brawl when we didn't get Bowser Jr, but I thought it might be worth considering for future games, since in SSB5 we're likely to get something from 3D World. Why not Toad?
New Super Mario Bros. Wii came out 2 years after Super Mario Galaxy and 3 years before Sakurai started working on SSB4... it's definitely last gen. Toad, whether it is himself alone or as a team with other Toads (Newcomer: Toad Brigade?), is from the same period of time when Rosalina was also prominent. Toad really should have been in SSB4 already... I'm tired of waiting... I have been waiting since 2001... I'm tired of defending Toad from his detractors. It is obvious Sakurai hates Toad... he spent the last four months trolling the Toad fanbase... giving us mixed signals since the day Peach was confirmed... needlessly telling us Peach's moveset would be refreshed when he apparently meant making the moveset look cleaner and crisp in HD (everyone are getting refreshed in HD anyway so why single out Peach?)... deconfirming Toad to promote Super Mario 3D World when other characters were confirmed to promote their respective games... Toad talking about Nintendo Direct but that pic of the day was a metaphor for arrows into the hearts of Toad fans... using Mario Kart (the spin-off series where Toad is one of the most popular racers) in Smash trailer to confirm Rosalina instead of Toad... I'm sick of Sakurai giving us false hope if he was only doing it to deconfirm Toad in a spiteful way. Sakurai deconfirmed Skull Kid right away... quick and painless to Skull Kid fans... why didn't he do that for Toad fans? Toad isn't getting in SSB4 nor SSB5 nor in all future Smash games ever. Not unless Toad starts getting something "unique" in the Mario games.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Personally, I was pretty sure Toad was disconfirmed on the day Peach was revealed.

Though the Pic of the Day right before Rosalina's reveal WAS quite cruel indeed.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
What I find most disappointing about Rosalina is that everything she does, it seems Mario did it first? Like the spin; who did it first? Granted, it was the Luma who really helped, but it was mainly Mario. And honestly, Rosalina wasn't really that major (in my opinion) until 3D World. I also admit the Toads didn't do much more than give Stars or make you laugh ("I LOOOVE mint chocolate!), but Toads on the other hand have always been important. Even if they didn't take as active a role like in NSMBW/U, we can all agree their Toad Houses have popped in at the right time. They're STAPLES. They're IMPORTANT. They're RECOGNIZABLE. They're also UNIQUE. We've seen humans in games before. Dinosaurs. Other reptiles. Even fairies! But have we seen mushroom men (besides Goombas) outside of Mario games? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Toad is the most unique Mario character there is because we've seen it all before, but just not anything like him. At all.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO THE TOAD BRIGADE, AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!

(from left to right, some of the more passionate or vocal Toad Brigade members; Berserker01, Arcadenik, Young Horsetail, Scatmansworld25, Pacack, YoshiandToad(yours truly), Zzuxon, PixelPasta, Bowserlick and Forcerounds.)

As I doubt I'll be on tomorrow, and today is my 12th Smashiversary(which is not a word, obviously), I just wanted to say this, since it is the time for sharing and caring(apologies if this sounds sappy):

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of the Toad supporters and members of the Toad Brigade. 2013, eh?
It didn't turn out like we hoped, and barring a last minute Christmas miracle with DLC being announced(and Toad being one of the announced DLC characters) it appears our mushroom man has once again missed out on becoming a fully fledged Smasher.

I was away for a good while, missing Brawl's speculation scene entirely. I instead was still speculating but with close friends, and even then I was supporting Toad. I thought Toad was going to be an unpopular choice for Mario newcomer amongst these boards so I stayed away, but after E3 I decided to come back finally.

I've been frankly pleasantly surprised that there are this many Toad supporters here, especially as he's had stiff competition for many years from Bowser Jr, Paper Mario, Waluigi and most recently(and of course the official Mario newcomer) Rosalina.

Obviously I'm disappointed with the outcome, I'm never going to deny it, but I just wanted to thank you for the past six months; this thread has been where I've seen some of the most creative moveset ideas, most heated debates, most passionate supporters of any character I've seen for sometime.
There's been interesting theories around Sakurai's wording, new discoveries about the mushroom man(such as GoldenYu's discovery of the Japanese name for Toad), very...peculiar arguments about whether Super Mario Bros. 2 was an obscure game or not, excitement as Toad got his speed back in Super Mario 3D World and obviously disappointment, sadness, anger and the like when the inevitable final arrow happened(Which I think is fair to call trolling and being a **** at this point).

So here's to you Toad Brigade, you made an older Nintendo gamer ignite the rabid, sometimes overbearing passion within him once more to support a character he truly wanted, and although it didn't work out I can't deny I enjoyed the rush, the arguments, the highs and lows. There's very few characters I'll be able to feel so passionately about in the new year that even have half the chance that Toad had and honestly I find that a little more disappointing than even Toad not making it into the final product.

Although I'm not exactly hopeful that Sakurai will ever change his mind and let this iconic Nintendo All Star into this Nintendo All Star game, I'll never stop supporting this little mushroom who made my childhood all the more special by merely plucking turnips, throwing them at an oversized frog and carrying monsters above his head in order to blow up the castle of a fat, greedy moustachio.

Once again, thank you all, and Merry Christmas. Who knows what 2014 will bring for us Toad fans. Outside of Smash, I mean. Obviously.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo

(from left to right, some of the more passionate or vocal Toad Brigade members; Berserker01, Arcadenik, Young Horsetail, Scatmansworld25, Pacack, YoshiandToad(yours truly), Zzuxon, PixelPasta, Bowserlick and Forcerounds.)

As I doubt I'll be on tomorrow, and today is my 12th Smashiversary(which is not a word, obviously), I just wanted to say this, since it is the time for sharing and caring(apologies if this sounds sappy):

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of the Toad supporters and members of the Toad Brigade. 2013, eh?
It didn't turn out like we hoped, and barring a last minute Christmas miracle with DLC being announced(and Toad being one of the announced DLC characters) it appears our mushroom man has once again missed out on becoming a fully fledged Smasher.

I was away for a good while, missing Brawl's speculation scene entirely. I instead was still speculating but with close friends, and even then I was supporting Toad. I thought Toad was going to be an unpopular choice for Mario newcomer amongst these boards so I stayed away, but after E3 I decided to come back finally.

I've been frankly pleasantly surprised that there are this many Toad supporters here, especially as he's had stiff competition for many years from Bowser Jr, Paper Mario, Waluigi and most recently(and of course the official Mario newcomer) Rosalina.

Obviously I'm disappointed with the outcome, I'm never going to deny it, but I just wanted to thank you for the past six months; this thread has been where I've seen some of the most creative moveset ideas, most heated debates, most passionate supporters of any character I've seen for sometime.
There's been interesting theories around Sakurai's wording, new discoveries about the mushroom man(such as GoldenYu's discovery of the Japanese name for Toad), very...peculiar arguments about whether Super Mario Bros. 2 was an obscure game or not, excitement as Toad got his speed back in Super Mario 3D World and obviously disappointment, sadness, anger and the like when the inevitable final arrow happened(Which I think is fair to call trolling and being a **** at this point).

So here's to you Toad Brigade, you made an older Nintendo gamer ignite the rabid, sometimes overbearing passion within him once more to support a character he truly wanted, and although it didn't work out I can't deny I enjoyed the rush, the arguments, the highs and lows. There's very few characters I'll be able to feel so passionately about in the new year that even have half the chance that Toad had and honestly I find that a little more disappointing than even Toad not making it into the final product.

Although I'm not exactly hopeful that Sakurai will ever change his mind and let this iconic Nintendo All Star into this Nintendo All Star game, I'll never stop supporting this little mushroom who made my childhood all the more special by merely plucking turnips, throwing them at an oversized frog and carrying monsters above his head in order to blow up the castle of a fat, greedy moustachio.

Once again, thank you all, and Merry Christmas. Who knows what 2014 will bring for us Toad fans. Outside of Smash, I mean. Obviously.
But of course.

Toad is still awesome, Smasher or not.

Attachments

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

You have no idea how much I love the Toad Piccolo, he shall be named, Toadiccolo! Anyways, yeah, I've still got a few more years ahead of me, so you can expect me to support Toad next Smash. I'm actually surprised I made it on the list, didn't think I was that much of a helper to you guys.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
You have no idea how much I love the Toad Piccolo, he shall be named, Toadiccolo! Anyways, yeah, I've still got a few more years ahead of me, so you can expect me to support Toad next Smash. I'm actually surprised I made it on the list, didn't think I was that much of a helper to you guys.
I'm sure I forgot some people, but I always remembered you pro Toading it up over in the Roster Thread.

The worst part is when people come and view the thread whilst I'm in it and I'm like "oh right, I forgot fogbadge!"

Sorry Fogbadge. I'll get one for you before new years. fff.

So thanks for the support in the Roster Discussion thread...Rebellious Treecko too. Who I also forgot. ****.

Louie G.

Smash Hero

(Skims the names...)
Darn it I'm not here.

Merry Christmas to you too YoshiandToad. And happy Smashiversary too.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'm sure I forgot some people, but I always remembered you pro Toading it up over in the Roster Thread.

The worst part is when people come and view the thread whilst I'm in it and I'm like "oh right, I forgot fogbadge!"

Sorry Fogbadge. I'll get one for you before new years. fff.

So thanks for the support in the Roster Discussion thread...Rebellious Treecko too. Who I also forgot. ****.

why thank you i look forward to it

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
What if Sakurai is trolling us again and instead of Toad being a Mario character, he's a Mario Kart character. :troll:

Nobody had better said that before me
If we DID get a karter, that would open up all manner of options for characters like Excitebiker, Mach Rider and other F-Zero characters who'd feel different from the good Captain. But it'd probably be Waluigi because spinoff.

(Also I think Golden beat you to this;)

Toad would be best suited as a "Mario Kart" character now.
Outside of Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, and Yoshi, Toad is the only character to be in every MK to date.
The concept of a recurring spin-off Toad ambassador started in Super Mario Kart.
Toadettes debuted in Mario Kart Double Dash.
Toad is seen as a mascot of sorts by fans. (Cuz he is THE BED :troll:)

So, you should all be asking for this:

Since a pair of plain ol' mushroom people in a mobile go-kart is a pretty unique concept. And yes, you play as them IN the kart. And can even switch who's driving (whoever isn't is the one that uses items ala Double Dash.)

I'm only 75% kidding.
(see? Bad luck Toadiccollo)

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl

Aww, I'm not on there? :(

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still miss rooting for Toad. He was my most wanted Mario newcomer, but Rosalina is really cool to.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I also miss the fun and excitement in supporting Toad... but Sakurai had to break our hearts with arrows. I admit Rosalina & Luma look pretty fun to play and I'm looking forward to try her out in SSB4. I just wish that Toad was a newcomer alongside Rosalina & Luma but I guess Toad isn't as unique as Toon Link is. :rolleyes:

In the meantime, I'm having a blast playing as Toad in Super Mario 3D World. I love that the single player can play as other characters and not be forced to play as Mario only like in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. I just cleared World 1... I will take on World 2 tomorrow after work. :awesome:

I'm also going to fill out Club Nintendo surveys after registering my Christmas presents. I'm going to ask them to keep including Toad as a playable character in future main Mario platformers... I want Nintendo to officially make Toad the honorary Mario Bro... a "third" Mario Bro, so to speak. I want Nintendo to give Toad his own game starring him and the Toad Brigade.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I also miss the fun and excitement in supporting Toad... but Sakurai had to break our hearts with arrows. I admit Rosalina & Luma look pretty fun to play and I'm looking forward to try her out in SSB4. I just wish that Toad was a newcomer alongside Rosalina & Luma but I guess Toad isn't as unique as Toon Link is. :rolleyes:

In the meantime, I'm having a blast playing as Toad in Super Mario 3D World. I love that the single player can play as other characters and not be forced to play as Mario only like in New Super Mario Bros. Wii. I just cleared World 1... I will take on World 2 tomorrow after work. :awesome:

I'm also going to fill out Club Nintendo surveys after registering my Christmas presents. I'm going to ask them to keep including Toad as a playable character in future main Mario platformers... I want Nintendo to officially make Toad the honorary Mario Bro... a "third" Mario Bro, so to speak. I want Nintendo to give Toad his own game starring him and the Toad Brigade.

I should've used my Club Nintendo to make them add K. Rool and Ridley to Smash 4... Luckily, I've got my DKCR post-play test still...

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
I will admit, playing as Blue Toad in 3D World has definitely made me appreciate the character a bit more. :)

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman

Oh wow! I get artwork too? Thank you! I hope your Christmas was good too, YoshiandToad! It's pretty much hopeless, but I'm not giving up my support for Toad until the final roster is revealed and DLC is disconfirmed.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I just spent the last two hours playing Super Mario 3D World with my boyfriend. He plays Peach and I play Toad... it's a refreshing change from years of playing as Mario and Luigi.

Now that I think about it.... Sakurai didn't confirm Rosalina when Super Mario 3D World actually came out last month but he did last week on Nintendo Direct... and he confirmed Zelda today when A Link Between Worlds came out today in Japan... what if Toad is an unlockable 6th Mario character and Rosalina is a starter character? No... I need to stop hoping... it is futile. Sorry... force of habit.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
It's sad to see all the Toad supporters all down in the dumps. I should think speculation wouldn't be over until the game is released (or all spoilers are leaked, whichever is first.) For my own part, I know that Toad's inclusion is increasingly unlikely, but it's still not impossible.

In that spirit, I've got two ideas which have both come to mind because I've been playing Super Mario 3D World and FREAKIN' LOVE IT.

A) Blue Toad. He's got three main games under his belt now (already comparable to regular Toad,) and he's featured in the same game that Rosalina is playable in (which sealed her inclusion.) Still, he's got the same problem as any other colored Toad in that he's arguably one of many instead of a special individual. Hence my second thought:

B) Captain Toad. Yes, the lovable and bumbling leader of the Toad Brigade. He's unique among Toads and has a feasibly interesting moveset. He could utilize his headlamp to make a bright flash to blind opponents, and his basic moves could be headbutts and kicks. His backpack could even hold some special moves.

The point is, we all know Toad has several viable ways to become playable in SSB, so we shouldn't lose hope. Speculate on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom