• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad parade - Oh boy it's Els--- I mean, Rosalina

What do you think will happen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Final nail on the coffin folks.

*Packs things*
considering today's daily photo, I think you mean arrow.

Sad days for the Toad Parade. But at least we have company, as just about every other Mario newcomer is having a sad day along with us.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Fellow Toad supporters! I'm interested to hear: how do you feel about Rosalina? Is she a fine 'substitute' for Toad?

Personally, I'm glad that we got a Mario rep, no matter who it is. I still would have preferred Toad, but I very happily welcome Rosalina - I even plan on using her as my new main.

Morbi

Scavenger
Fellow Toad supporters! I'm interested to hear: how do you feel about Rosalina? Is she a fine 'substitute' for Toad?

Personally, I'm glad that we got a Mario rep, no matter who it is. I still would have preferred Toad, but I very happily welcome Rosalina - I even plan on using her as my new main.
She is a sufficient replacement for me; once Sakurai affirmed that Toad is nothing more than snatch fungus I knew that importance to the franchise became irrelevant. At least she has a unique move-set and style that couldn't necessarily be adopted by any other Mario character. She was a nice remedy to mend the wounds inflicted by Sakurai's poisonous dagger.

Rosalina is way better than Toad.

Master Morrison

Smash Cadet
I actually support Rosalina toad and waluigi
And I was hoping to get toad in I mean he has potential
But Rosalina being in doesn't mean he is out
I'm just wondering if sakurai is gonna have a limit to the big name franchises like in all previous games because I don't mind some series being replied more than others
Like mario has a big cast
As long as they don't seem like clones of each other

But I'm sure they can be creative enough to make movesets for all characters

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Rosalina's okay. I mean, I really thought Toad would have been an awesome(er) Mario rep., especially since he's been around for so long, not to mention one of the most useful characters. Rosalina and Luma are still cool, don't get me wrong, but the fact that they put in a character who almost just arrived at the series over a character with a long, detailed history with the rest of the gang feels rather out of place.

I'm just happy they didn't put in, say, Bowser Jr. or (ugh) Waluigi. At least Rosalina has a story, right?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
How do I feel about Rosalina in Smash?

Well, I am neutral towards Rosalina so no bias for/against her like I do for Toad and against Bowser Jr., Waluigi, Dr. Mario, and others. While I'm very disappointed that Sakurai still refuses to add Toad as a playable character, I am begrudgingly liking Rosalina & Luma after watching the trailer over and over. I'm actually looking forward to playing as Rosalina... she looks pretty fun to play... but she is not Toad... and I remind myself that at least Sakurai didn't add a Mario character I dislike... so this is sorta bittersweet for me.

But it is very interesting that we got five Mario characters within 6 months after E3 2013... it's too early... and part of me wants to believe that there might be a 6th Mario character who is unlockable... but another part of me is telling me to give up on my dream...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It would have been worse if he did have a cameo anyway
Even then, we don't see Wario or Diddy, characters that have been in previous Mario Kart games. The more you think about it, this doesn't go one way or the other for Toad.

I'm being slightly optimistic, but I'd like to say I'm simply stating the facts.

ClubbyBear

Smash Journeyman
He could be grouped with the spin off characters
I mean we haven't seen Yoshi, Diddy, Wario or K. Rool, and like Yoshi he's appeared in most of the Mario Games, He could be the 5th Spin Off character, as he had his own game Wario Woods. That the only hope for Toad, I'm sad to say :(

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
maybe Sakurai sees him as a generic helper in the Mario world regardless of those playable appearances... just like he prolly doesn't see Ridley as a playable character (which is why he was made a boss only in Brawl)

who knows, but thats the gaming industry for ya. its in the hands of the creator and what they want to put in their game.

I know ppl like to make arguments to run around things holding Toad back... like how they can simply change Peach's b move to a different color toad but lets be real. Hes already been shown as Peach's B-move and there is no separate character page for him on the website. Its done.

Idk if ppl will make more support threads for him in futures game after Smash 4 but his chances shouldn't be stated so high anymore imo

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Disappointed? Yes a bit.

Like Arcadenik I was mostly neutral towards Rosalina, but I think Luma being now more playable than Toad is what tipped me over the edge for an hour. Look how playable that Luma basically is! I'd kill for Peach to include Toad that much in her moveset if he's forever doomed to be a NPC. Which I think at this point it's basically guaranteed he will be. In all future Smashes.

After a few rewatches I guess I'm fine with her, but still surprised that she got in over Bowser Jr., let alone Toad who we presumed would outstrip her in Mario importance.

Still we've had a headstart with disappointment so I can only ponder how Jr, Paper and Waluigi fans are taking this considering their characters all had more support than Rosie.

Rosalina IS the new staple.

Ever since her debt in Galaxy she's been taking over.

- Appears in Galaxy
- Then gets confirmed for Mario Kart 6
- Then shows up in Galaxy 2
- Then gets confirmed for Mario Kart 7
- Then confirmed as a playable character in a staple 3D Mario game (very rare feat)
- Gets confirmed in Mario Kart 8
- Now she's in Smash 4, which is pretty much the biggest statement a Nintendo character can make

Like it or not shes become more relevant in 6 years than any other Mario character not named Mario, Peach, Luigi, or Bowser have throughout their lifespans... combined.

EDIT: Forgot to include that she also made an appearance in Mario Kart 6 (MKWii), so that makes 3 Mario Karts she's been in now.
Are you actually saying that her relevancy got her in? Because from how I see it, it's her gameplay or quirks that got her in. Purely.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Eh, I had already mostly come to terms with Toad, so I think Rosalina looks pretty cool.
I do still have salt though.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Are you actually saying that her relevancy got her in? Because from how I see it, it's her gameplay or quirks that got her in. Purely.

Not at all... All I was doing is pointing out that Rosalina as of now is more of a staple than the vast majority of the other Mario characters.

Not at all... All I was doing is pointing out that Rosalina as of now is more of a staple than the vast majority of the other Mario characters.
Well, Toad is literally a staple to all Mario games. Literally. Generic Super Mario Bros, Super Mario 3D World, Every Mario Kart, Recent Mario Party games, and other stuff. Yeah, there's those. He's more of a staple than Rosalina. If you're counting Rosalina's appearance in Super Mario Galaxy 2 as a contribution to her staple status in the Mario series then Toad must be a staple in well, pretty much every Mario game.

I have to agree though, she's become a staple but more than Toad? Well for that to be true, she better appear in 99 more games then I'll change my mind..

Then again, getting in Smash 4 talks. Sakurai preferred Rosalina for who knows what reason (Probably gameplay since that's his number one mind set) so there's that.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Well, Toad is literally a staple to all Mario games. Literally. Generic Super Mario Bros, Super Mario 3D World, Every Mario Kart, Recent Mario Party games, and other stuff. Yeah, there's those. He's more of a staple than Rosalina. If you're counting Rosalina's appearance in Super Mario Galaxy 2 as a contribution to her staple status in the Mario series then Toad must be a staple in well, pretty much every Mario game.

Then again, getting in Smash 4 talks. Sakurai preferred Rosalina for who knows what reason (Probably gameplay since that's his number one mind set) so there's that.

But now that Rosalina is a member of the elite group known as "Smash Bros." Toad no longer has any argument over her in terms of being a staple Mario character... Other than longevity of course.

Plus unlike Rosalina Toad had to work his way up to where he is now through a span of a decade + change. Rosalina got to where she is now in 5 years.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
But now that Rosalina is a member of the elite group known as "Smash Bros." Toad no longer has any argument over her in terms of being a staple Mario character... Other than longevity of course.

Plus unlike Rosalina Toad had to work his way up to where he is now through a span of a decade + change. Rosalina got to where she is now in 5 years.

For Smash? Nope he doesn't. For Mario? Yeah he does.

Unless Sheik is now more a staple than Tingle for Zelda due to her two Smash appearences.

So basically what you're saying is since she's in Smash Bros, she's more of a staple than Toad now? If you're going like that, you're basically saying that Sheik is a staple to the Zelda series then because she's in Smash Bros even though she only appeared in one Zelda game (Sans remake).
Who said Toad wasn't a staple since the SNES day or even the NES days? Whatever happened to Wario Woods? Super Mario Kart? Super Mario Bros 2? If you want to stretch it in the 64 bit era, whatever happened to Mario Kart 64 and Mario Tennis?

D

Deleted member

Well then, I'm gonna go hide under a rock for the next 5 years till they confirm Toad for SSB5. :<

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
So basically what you're saying is since she's in Smash Bros, she's more of a staple than Toad now? If you're going like that, you're basically saying that Sheik is a staple to the Zelda series then because she's in Smash Bros even though she only appeared in one Zelda game (Sans remake).
Yes I would argue that as of now Rosalina is more of a staple to the Mario series than Toad. Only thing Toad has over Rosalina at this point is popularity due to being around much longer (which is only going to get worse for Toad as Rosalina becomes more and more mainstream through Smash exposure). The fact that a character that has been around since 1987 couldn't get into Smash Bros over a character who was birthed only 5 years ago is very telling in terms of who Nintendo would rather see as a more prominent figure in the Mario universe.

Your point about Sheik is null considering Sheik is the alternate ego of Zelda and not an entirely different character within herself.

Who said Toad wasn't a staple since the SNES day or even the NES days? Whatever happened to Wario Woods? Super Mario Kart? Super Mario Bros 2? If you want to stretch it in the 64 bit era, whatever happened to Mario Kart 64 and Mario Tennis?
Where did I ever say Toad wasn't a staple? All I was saying is that it took Toad a plethora years to reach the peak where he is at now (a prominent enough figure in the Mario series to make regular appearances as a playable character in non-spinnoff Mario platformers). It only took Rosalina 5 not only to reach the point where Toad is at, but to make it into Smash.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I've realized Rosalina's inclusion indicates Sakurai cares only about Moveset potential, and see's series representation or importance to nintendo as un-important.
If this is true, It is very worrying.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Where did I ever say Toad wasn't a staple? All I was saying is that it took Toad a plethora years to reach the peak where he is at now (a prominent enough figure in the Mario series to make regular appearances as a playable character in non-spinnoff Mario platformers). It only took Rosalina 5 not only to reach the point where Toad is at, but to make it into Smash.
Personally I blame the N64 years for this. NES and SNES gave him SMB2 and Wario's Woods(and a SNES remake of this game too) as a playable character, then 64 rolled around and nothing. In fact Luigi got nothing in that period too. Same with Samus come to think of it...

But I'm calling it too early to claim she's more of a staple to the Mario series than Toad is at this point. One playable secret appearance in a game where Toad is already playable(two Toads at that if you count Captain) seems to be a bit too much of a shaky ground to claim that Rosalina is more important to the Mario series than Toad.

If Rosalina appears playable in a platformer without a playable Toad then we can do a comparison by all means, but according to the interview with Iwata she was requested because Motokura suggested it:

Motokura said:
I was thinking about what would be pleasing after the ending and wanted to bring in another female character in addition to Princess Peach. Rosalina has a following among the Super Mario Galaxy fanbase, and she's appeared in Mario Kart recently, so I think she's well known.

source: Iwata interview
So she outstrips Daisy(whose fans must really hate her), Toadette and Birdo(if this counts) at least for sure in terms of importance.

its obvious,
only super sexy characters are going to be included. Rosalina, Peach, WFT, and Luigi are all signs to this. :p
Stupid sexy Luigi. Dat nose.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Remember that Iwata Asks interview about Super Mario 3D World? They said Toad is surprisingly popular... implying that the Nintendo staff didn't think Toad was popular.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I've officially given up on Toad actually getting in, even if it's a remote possibility. If he somehow makes the cut, I'll jump for joy. If he doesn't, I'll be fine.

ClubbyBear

Smash Journeyman
I've realized Rosalina's inclusion indicates Sakurai cares only about Moveset potential, and see's series representation or importance to nintendo as un-important.
If this is true, It is very worrying.
But now that Rosalina is a member of the elite group known as "Smash Bros." Toad no longer has any argument over her in terms of being a staple Mario character..
Brightly Covered Pills! They'll cure all you ills! Just as long as you've got fever or the chills!
Dr.Mario barely had moveset potential, and was part of the "elite group known as "Smash Bros."". He was removed. Mewtwo had great potential for a moveset; He was replaced. Sakurai can be unpredictable.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
If it makes anyone feel any better, go check out the Nintendo eShop. Scroll down to the category section (e.g. New Releases and/or DLC) and check out which Mario character is there besides Mario and an 8-bit Luigi.

It's Captain Toad!

Nintendo must really think he's important for putting him there

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Well, I give up on making roster predictions. I see no logic in it at all.

Rosaline throws out the importance factor of characters and the number of characters a series can have.
WiiFit Trainer throws out the idea of unique game play mechanics. I really see nothing special about her fighting wise.

My only guess is that Sakurai blindfolds himself and throws a Mr. Saturn at a Velcro wall with characters names on it.

So I'm voting chocolate milk on the poll. I think Toad (and everyone else) still has a chance.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Since unique playstyle matters so much... if Rosalina can get in Smash with moves that Mario used in Galaxy games, then why is it out of the question for Toad to get in Smash with moves that Mario used in New Super Mario Bros. games? Why does the Galaxy games get a character but the NSMB games don't get a character? Toad could have gotten the iceballs, propeller helmet, grabbing/carrying/throwing opponents (to display his superhuman strength), poison and golden mushrooms to shrink his opponents and boost his own speed respectively (from the Mario Kart series)... hell, even mushroom-based powers based on many various mushroom power-ups throughout the Mario games could have given Toad an unique playstyle... why are so many people so close-minded about Toad and his abilities?

ClubbyBear

Smash Journeyman
Since unique playstyle matters so much... if Rosalina can get in Smash with moves that Mario used in Galaxy games, then why is it out of the question for Toad to get in Smash with moves that Mario used in New Super Mario Bros. games? Why does the Galaxy games get a character but the NSMB games don't get a character? Toad could have gotten the iceballs, propeller helmet, grabbing/carrying/throwing opponents (to display his superhuman strength), poison and golden mushrooms to shrink his opponents and boost his own speed respectively (from the Mario Kart series)... hell, even mushroom-based powers based on many various mushroom power-ups throughout the Mario games could have given Toad an unique playstyle... why are so many people so close-minded about Toad and his abilities?
Holy ****, I've been saying this for the longest time >.>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom