• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad parade - Oh boy it's Els--- I mean, Rosalina

What do you think will happen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If Toad has a spore move, should it work the same way as Peach's Toad or should it be different? Maybe spores that has different effects? Spores that poison opponents or put opponents to sleep or even turn opponents into mushrooms just like the mushroom enemies do in Super Mario RPG?
Interesting idea. Why not have the spores add affects like Lip's Stick then? Instead of a flower, maybe a little shroom pops up and sucks away at their life force.

Kinda like Paras.

Difference is he'll emit it around his body. Hitbox enlarges as you charge up. Only takes 2 seconds to fully charge. Effect is pretty much what YoshiandToad said.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
If Toad has a spore move, should it work the same way as Peach's Toad or should it be different? Maybe spores that has different effects? Spores that poison opponents or put opponents to sleep or even turn opponents into mushrooms just like the mushroom enemies do in Super Mario RPG?

I think mixtures of that. Like take some cues from Mario Sports Mix (with growing mushrooms on the ground) and so forth.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Looks like Super Mario 3D World's Japanese release is going to be in November too.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze also got delayed until next year.

A Link Between Worlds also comes out in December in Japan. If Zelda is saved for December, that would leave November wide open, and by far the biggest release that month is Super Mario 3D World...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Don't give me false hope, ChronoBound... I desperately want Toad to be playable so badly... but it seems like Nintendo/Sakurai is/are only revealing veterans and maybe saving the newcomers for E3 2014.

They call the Toad brigade captain, the Toad brigade captain in SM3DW

But they call him Toad in the Galaxy series

Then they call blue Toad Toad in SM3DW

Then again, it doesn't matter. EVERYONE'S TOAD :D (Squidward video)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Toad is known as キノピオ (Kinopio).

New Super Mario Bros. Wii calls Blue Toad あおキノピオ (Ao Kinopio) and Yellow Toad きいろキノピオ (Kiro Kinopio).

Super Mario 3D Land calls Toad キノピオ (Kinopio).

New Super Mario Bros. 2 calls Toad キノピオ (Kinopio).

New Super Mario Bros. U calls Blue Toad あおキノピオ (Ao Kinopio) and Yellow Toad きいろキノピオ (Kiro Kinopio).

Super Mario 3D World calls Blue Toad キノピオ (Kinopio) INSTEAD OF あおキノピオ (Ao Kinopio).

So, even if Blue Toad is the default Toad in SSB4, he would not be called あおキノピオ (Ao Kinopio) but instead he would be called キノピオ (Kinopio). It makes no sense to call the playable Toad "Blue Toad" if multiple players select Toad... it makes no sense to call a green Toad "Blue Toad" or a yellow Toad "Blue Toad".

Also, notice in the NSMBU picture that there are two Toads right next to Peach... and they both have red spots and blue vests. Even if Peach pulls out a Toad that looks like THE Toad in SSB4, there still can be a playable Toad who looks like THE Toad.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Also, notice in the NSMBU picture that there are two Toads right next to Peach... and they both have red spots and blue vests. Even if Peach pulls out a Toad that looks like THE Toad in SSB4, there still can be a playable Toad who looks like THE Toad.

well said

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Toad is known as キノピオ (Kinopio).

New Super Mario Bros. Wii calls Blue Toad あおキノピオ (Ao Kinopio) and Yellow Toad きいろキノピオ (Kiro Kinopio).

Super Mario 3D Land calls Toad キノピオ (Kinopio).

New Super Mario Bros. 2 calls Toad キノピオ (Kinopio).

New Super Mario Bros. U calls Blue Toad あおキノピオ (Ao Kinopio) and Yellow Toad きいろキノピオ (Kiro Kinopio).

Super Mario 3D World calls Blue Toad キノピオ (Kinopio) INSTEAD OF あおキノピオ (Ao Kinopio).

So, even if Blue Toad is the default Toad in SSB4, he would not be called あおキノピオ (Ao Kinopio) but instead he would be called キノピオ (Kinopio). It makes no sense to call the playable Toad "Blue Toad" if multiple players select Toad... it makes no sense to call a green Toad "Blue Toad" or a yellow Toad "Blue Toad".

Thank you!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Watch the video here...

Please note that when Blue Toad picks up the Fire Flower... he does not look like this...

but instead, he looks like this...

It seems that the playable Toad in Super Mario 3D World is an amalgamation of THE Toad, Blue Toad, and Yellow Toad.

• THE Toad's speed from SMB2
  • Blue Toad's blue spots and he resembles THE Toad's SMB2 sprite
  • Yellow Toad's fire costume from NSMB games minus the red pants
  • THE Toad's Japanese name キノピオ (Kinopio)

So, why can't the playable Toad in SSB4 represent all the playable Toads of the main Mario games?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Arkadenik has made fine some points in regards to Toad. But I suggest to avoid getting your hopes up, just in case.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Its looking increasingly likely that Bowser Jr. is not going to be in Super Mario 3D World, or at the very least he will be having a minor role:
http://www.mariowiki.com/images/a/a1/Grand_Group_Artwork_-_Super_Mario_3D_World.jpg

If there is a newcomer that Sakurai does decide to tie into Super Mario 3D World, its most likely going to be Toad (if Sakurai even decided to tie in a newcomer with that game, that is).
(Let's hope they don't throw a curve ball and add Kamek as the new MARIO rep. I don't think anyone would expect that(Yoshi rep however; different story))

Is that Red spotted Toad up there Toad now or is Blue Toad officially Toad? This is getting confusing.

Miyamoto; clarification please.

on a side note: I still haven't managed to work out why Mario is the only one whose catsuit doesn't match his regular outfit colour. Peach is pink, Luigi is green, Toad is blue, Mario is...Yellow. For some reason. It's just a weird design choice that's been bothering me.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Its looking increasingly likely that Bowser Jr. is not going to be in Super Mario 3D World, or at the very least he will be having a minor role:
http://www.mariowiki.com/images/a/a1/Grand_Group_Artwork_-_Super_Mario_3D_World.jpg

If there is a newcomer that Sakurai does decide to tie into Super Mario 3D World, its most likely going to be Toad (if Sakurai even decided to tie in a newcomer with that game, that is).
That group artwork is gorgeous!!!

OMG!!! Dry Parakoopa?! 20+ years after Dry Bones debuted in Super Mario Bros. 3 and we finally get the winged counterpart?

Oh, look... there's the other playable Toad... the Toad Brigade Captain from Super Mario Galaxy games... he is on that floating island with the green Power Star. Apparently there are two THE Toads in this game... *cue Squidward video*

He never was one of the best ideas to begin with! :troll:

I love that they say Toad is for experts... damn right he is! :cool:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh! Take a good look at this new item in Super Mario 3D World... the Double Cherry.

We can always say Toad used the Double Cherry... so now it is totally possible for THE Toad to be part of Peach's moveset and still be a playable newcomer... because it's canon! :awesome: :troll:

Ascended

Smash Ace
I support Toad. For awhile I've been thinking that he'd make a great playable character and have actually been wondering why he isn't for some time. Plus, the Toads have had a resurgence of popularity due to New Super Mario Bros. Wii/New Super Mario Bros. U, and the upcoming Super Mario 3D World. Also, since all of Brawl's Mario characters have already been revealed, I totally expect a new Mario character, and who better to add then Toad? (Of course, I could be totally wrong, so feel free to disregard this post if Toad doesn't show up.)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Poor unloved Yoshi. First Sakurai putting off his confirmation as a Smash rep, now confirmation he's a terrible Mario idea.

(also did you see the Galaxy reference in the top right corner?)

Off topic things aside, I'm feeling slightly more upbeat about Toad since Toon Link's reveal, and at the very least 3D World looks amazing. With any luck this will sway a few people's low opinions on Toad when it comes out.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am pretty sure Sakurai is saving Yoshi for when Yoshi's New Island or Yarn Yoshi comes out next year. I am not worried about Yoshi at all.

I am really hoping that Sakurai confirms Toad as a playable character for SSB4... notice that Super Mario 3D World has a Japanese website but there's no North American website... I think Nintendo/Sakurai are probably saving Toad's reveal to link the viewers to the North American website when the game comes out... at least I hope so! :(

Once I get Toad in Smash, there are no other Mario characters I really want so badly... because by then, I would finally have the whole Mario Big Eight set that I've always dreamed of since pre-Melee days. :grin:

Mallow and Geno? Sure, why not? I don't mind them but Toad should have priority before them (and both of them should get in together, not only Geno). Bowser Jr.? Sure, I don't mind but Toad deserves it more in my opinion. Paper Mario? Ehhh... I am not too keen on having another Mario (I am still slightly disappointed that Toon Link is still a clone)... but I wouldn't mind a Paper Mario stage.

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
Hello everyone!!! New to this site... I joined just to comment on here! I just wanted to put in my two cents about Toad. I am a very strong Toad supporter! I have been wanting Toad in Super Smash Bros. Melee! (I even fell for that infamous rumor about Toad being playable in Melee, do you guys remember that?) I feel like Toad's chances have been increasing over the years, and I think he's an incredibly worth candidate for Smash Bros!
Since Toon Link's appeared in a stage and also as a playable character my faith in Toad was renewed!
I'm predicting/hoping that with the release of Super Mario 3D World Sakurai will confirm Toad as a newcomer. The reason I believe this is because Peach has already been announced, and since she's a big part of 3D World... If there wasn't a newcomer (like Toad perhaps) he probably would have announced her during 3D World to promote both games.
Also I was kind of worried about a Zelda character being announced when 3D World comes out because of a Link Between Worlds... but A Link Between Worlds wont be released until December in Japan, so Sakurai will probably go with the Japanese release date. 3D World, on the other hand, will be released around the same time all over the world! So I feel we'll get a Mario character announcement for 3D World! *fingers crossed for Toad*
This is my wishful thinking/rambling, but it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Once I get Toad in Smash, there are no other Mario characters I really want so badly... because by then, I would finally have the whole Mario Big Eight set that I've always dreamed of since pre-Melee days. :grin:

Mallow and Geno? Sure, why not? I don't mind them but Toad should have priority before them (and both of them should get in together, not only Geno). Bowser Jr.? Sure, I don't mind but Toad deserves it more in my opinion. Paper Mario? Ehhh... I am not too keen on having another Mario (I am still slightly disappointed that Toon Link is still a clone)... but I wouldn't mind a Paper Mario stage.
Hmmm...after and if Toad gets in? I have absolutely no stakes in the Mario-verse after Toad. Paper Mario's okay I guess, but just like you Arcadenik, I'd be more excited about getting the Glitz Pit as a possible stage than Paper Mario himself.

Even though I dislike Bowser Jr. he's probably the most deserving after Toad.

I think I'm one of the few that don't have much hatred for Waluigi either.

Geno grinds my gears. He's too obscure. Once the popular/best known Mario characters are in, then maybe add him in SSB8 or whatever. It's too early for his inclusion in my (biased) opinion.

Also nice to see so many new Toad fans! Welcome everyone. Toad isn't the most popular Mario choice here, as Bowser Jr and Paper Mario have more support, but there's a solid fanbase(and yes; I remember the Toad rumour too).

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I hope that Toad is playable in Smash because I like it and it will help Bandana Dee's chances too!
I'm tired of "Waddle Dee and Toad are not likely,they are attacks..."
So,I support Toad now XD

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I hope that Toad is playable in Smash because I like it and it will help Bandana Dee's chances too!
So,I support Toad now XD
I support both Toad and Waddle Dee.

It would be awesome to have a team match between Peach & Toad and King Dedede & Waddle Dee. :awesome:

Morbi

Scavenger
So,I support Toad now XD
It is such a fallacious reason to not support a character. That is why I started supporting Toad as well. I hate that people think that the picture actually discredits Toad's chances. Not to mention they ignore the way Nintendo is currently marketing Toad. They ignore his rich history with Mario.

I wouldn't mind Bowser Jr. or Waluigi. I actually used to support Waluigi because I thought he would be a great rep for Mario Sports, Mario Kart, and Mario Party. However, I have recently shifted my expectations to Toad seeing as he is more popular, more relevant, and more Smash friendly (easy pallet swaps, I think his model is easier to program than a large one like Waluigi).

So I am now fully expecting Toad if Mario gets another rep.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I hate that people think that the picture actually discredits Toad's chances. Not to mention they ignore the way Nintendo is currently marketing Toad. They ignore his rich history with Mario.

So I am now fully expecting Toad if Mario gets another rep.
I hate that too... I think that people who discredit Toad's chances are those who wanted another Mario character (Bowser Jr., Paper Mario, Waluigi, etc.) or those who don't want more Mario characters.

I am hoping that Toad is the Mario newcomer for SSB4... there has to be a reason why Sakurai revealed all four Mario veterans so early... Sakurai could have saved Luigi's or Peach's reveal for when Super Mario 3D World comes out... why Sakurai showed the picture of Peach using Toad as a special move (seemingly deconfirming Toad) and then saying Peach's moveset "may be refreshed" by the time SSB4's development is complete. Sakurai is playing mind games with the Toad fans... though not as blatant as he is doing with the Ridley fans.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think Toad is one of the last character's on the development list. If there is enough time, Toad will make it. If not, then Peach's B move remains the same.

It makes sense to focus on not-yet-represented franchises and possible under-repped franchises first before a Mario character. (Yoshi really does see like he is still in the Mario Universe and Wario, while taking a hefty amount of moves from his bizarre Warioware games, still was designed as a greedy version of Mario.)

Morbi

Scavenger
I think Toad is one of the last character's on the development list. If there is enough time, Toad will make it. If not, then Peach's B move remains the same.

It makes sense to focus on not-yet-represented franchises and possible under-repped franchises first before a Mario character. (Yoshi really does see like he is still in the Mario Universe and Wario, while taking a hefty amount of moves from his bizarre Warioware games, still was designed as a greedy version of Mario.)
You don't think Super Mario 3D Wii U Bros whatever it is called is one of the biggest Nintendo titles of the year? You don't think Sakurai might want to cross promote something with it?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
So far it seems as if the Smash Brothers roster is being used as a promotion tool for the struggling Wii U. And Toad is making a comeback as a reoccurring playable character. I still think he has quite a shot at getting in.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I support both Toad and Waddle Dee.

It would be awesome to have a team match between Peach & Toad and King Dedede & Waddle Dee. :awesome:
Or even Toad and Bandanna Dee Vs. their oppressive rulers. VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

You don't think Super Mario 3D Wii U Bros whatever it is called is one of the biggest Nintendo titles of the year? You don't think Sakurai might want to cross promote something with it?
To be honest this does seem weird. It's a brand new Mario title, a big 3D Mario title. These always sell loads. You'd wanna promote someone with this. They could have saved Peach for this. They could have saved Bowser for this. They could have saved Luigi(although I agree Mario & Luigi is a more logical choice for him) but they haven't saved anyone. That's suspicious.

Is it Toad? For this game, he'd be the most logical choice. Bowser Jr's not in it as far as we know, Paper Mario doesn't really fit if we're honest, but admittedly better than Geno. Waluigi's best chance for a reveal would of been a new Mario Party/Mario Kart.
Wario's probably getting a reveal during Mario Kart/Mario Party and Yoshi for Yarn Yoshi/Yoshi's New Island.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That's what I am saying! It is suspicious that Sakurai confirmed all the Mario veterans from Brawl so early... there's a trend where veterans are confirmed when their related games come out... now Super Mario 3D World has no character unless it is Toad.

I truly hope that Sakurai doesn't throw in a nasty surprise like adding Cat Mario or Tanooki Mario instead of Toad. He could have added Meowth (a Pokemon newcomer), Tom Nook (a second Animal Crossing rep), and Toad (a Mario newcomer) instead... Most people want more characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom