• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad parade - Oh boy it's Els--- I mean, Rosalina

What do you think will happen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
(Can prove that wrong but discussing something like this is ridiculous)

Cool story bra
Okay here we go

Toad is the most generic character in the Mario universe. They serve no purpose other than having something to look at after beating Bowser the first seven times or to make the world look bigger than it really is in later games by stuffing it full of copy-pasted mushroom men with the exact same personality. Even other generic characters in Smash Bros like Pikachu or Jigglypuff are the Pikachu or the Jigglypuff from the pokemon show. There is no the Toad. He's literally so generic that Peach uses him as her neutral B. Toads are disposable. The only one that sticks around consistently is Toadsworth and **** Toadsworth.
"B-but what about Yoshi!" there is a named Yoshi also called Yoshi who has his own house (called Yoshi's house) who happens to be the narcissistic king of his autonymical people. There are a hundred gizbillion Yoshis but it's more or less accepted that there is one main Yoshi who is green and also called Yoshi that hangs out with Mario on his off-time.
"B-but can't there be a Toad called Toad too?" No. No there cannot be. Mario II is the only game where a Toad has a leading role and it was just a filler character sprite because Miyamoto was lazy and plagiarised his own game. Even in the most recent Mario games they can't ****ing decide who the main Toad is, there are two of them, Blue and Yellow, and the classic Red and White one is nowhere to be seen except as a generic denizen of the Mushroom Kingdom.
Toad is the lack of a character. It'd be like including a Duck from Duck Hunt as a playable character. Yes, very important in the history of Nintendo, but what duck are you playing as? Is it just a generic duck? Like, a duck from a game with hundreds of ducks?

Which Toad should be in Smash Bros? One of those red ones or one of the yellow ones?

Or maybe one of these? Which one do you think?

Oh, maybe you want the Red and Blue one

Well ain't that just a kick in the teeth.

The only way Toad is going to be a playable character in the new Smash Bros is if someone hacks it in as a PSA. Otherwise you're **** out of luck.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Okay here we go

Toad is the most generic character in the Mario universe. They serve no purpose other than having something to look at after beating Bowser the first seven times or to make the world look bigger than it really is in later games by stuffing it full of copy-pasted mushroom men with the exact same personality. Even other generic characters in Smash Bros like Pikachu or Jigglypuff are the Pikachu or the Jigglypuff from the pokemon show. There is no the Toad. He's literally so generic that Peach uses him as her neutral B. Toads are disposable. The only one that sticks around consistently is Toadsworth and **** Toadsworth.
"B-but what about Yoshi!" there is a named Yoshi also called Yoshi who has his own house (called Yoshi's house) who happens to be the narcissistic king of his autonymical people. There are a hundred gizbillion Yoshis but it's more or less accepted that there is one main Yoshi who is green and also called Yoshi that hangs out with Mario on his off-time.
"B-but can't there be a Toad called Toad too?" No. No there cannot be. Mario II is the only game where a Toad has a leading role and it was just a filler character sprite because Miyamoto was lazy and plagiarised his own game. Even in the most recent Mario games they can't ****ing decide who the main Toad is, there are two of them, Blue and Yellow, and the classic Red and White one is nowhere to be seen except as a generic denizen of the Mushroom Kingdom.
Ok, leaving aside that no one here is in denial that Toad's chances are pretty ****ed now for one moment;

You know THE Toad actually has a seperate name in the Japanese version that tells him apart from his kin right?

Even if Toad isn't playable in Smash, that is a fact. There is A Toad just like there is A Yoshi*. Also if you think the Pikachu in Smash is Ash's Pikachu then you are an idiot. He was chosen because of the anime, yes, but then so are all Pokemon. There'd be references to Ash all over the bloody place, but no; he comes out a Pokeball in his intro something THE Pikachu would never do. Jigglypuff in the show also had a habit of drawing over everyones face and carried a pen/microphone with her at all times. No reference to it. Not even in the victory poses or a taunt.

Pokemon facts that are wrong here aside; the fact is there is A Toad called Toad(at least in the English version) who is Peach's Mushroom Retainer within the Mario-verse as any Japanese site or fan will tell you.

You can come in here and tell us **** we already know like Toad's chances are in the gutter, but spouting incorrect nonsense as if it's fact makes you look like an idiot as well as a jerk.

Edit: *Oh, and another thing; there are actually TWO Yoshi who are the main Yoshi:
The one that rescued Baby Mario in Yoshi's Island, and the one who is a starchild that Mario hangs out with in his adult life. I suppose this means Yoshi can't be in Smash anymore either because Yoshi's Island DS confirmed there are two Yoshi who star in different games?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think that if Toad is playable in Smash, he would be named Kinopio in the Japanese version instead of Kino.

Kinopio = THE Toad
Kino = A Toad
Ao Kinopio = Blue Toad
Kiro Kinopio = Yellow Toad

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I think that if Toad is playable in Smash, he would be named Kinopio in the Japanese version instead of Kino.

Kinopio = THE Toad
Kino = A Toad
Ao Kinopio = Blue Toad
Kiro Kinopio = Yellow Toad
This is the only reason that I see Toad as still having a chance. Because Toad # THE Toad.

Though, to be fair, his chances have gone down.

Reused arguments are reused
Okay here we go

Toad is the most generic character in the Mario universe. They serve no purpose other than having something to look at after beating Bowser the first seven times or to make the world look bigger than it really is in later games by stuffing it full of copy-pasted mushroom men with the exact same personality. Even other generic characters in Smash Bros like Pikachu or Jigglypuff are the Pikachu or the Jigglypuff from the pokemon show. There is no the Toad.
Okay. I stopped reading here but then decided to go on anyway
He's literally so generic that Peach uses him as her neutral B. Toads are disposable. The only one that sticks around consistently is Toadsworth and **** Toadsworth.
Generic species? Yep. Generic character design? Nope. Generic character? Nope. From what I heard, there were no such thing as walking mushroom men in any other video game. Oh and, there's one Toad.

Captain obvious

There's one Toad. Even Nintendo confirmed it in pretty much every Mario game. Is that enough for you?

Toad is the lack of a character. It'd be like including a Duck from Duck Hunt as a playable character. Yes, very important in the history of Nintendo, but what duck are you playing as? Is it just a generic duck? Like, a duck from a game with hundreds of ducks?
You seriously repeated an argument? Well, same answer. Generic species? Yeah. Generic character design? Nope. Generic character? Definitely not.

-----------

And yep, Toad's chances guttered but you better not be spouting false facts like this. Okay, I'm gonna snag that essay somewhere.

It's here : http://www.smashboards.com/threads/smash-bros-wii-u-and-3ds.305027/#post-12843555

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Toon Link is both a stage character and a playable character, yet why can't Toad be both a move for Peach and a playable character?

This makes me more optimistic we may get Toad in November or December.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Toon Link is both a stage character and a playable character, yet why can't Toad be both a move for Peach and a playable character?

This makes me more optimistic we may get Toad in November or December.
With the "only one character per month rule" being broken, I see no reason they'd reveal Peach before the release of Super Mario 3D World. A Mario newcomer suddenly seems much more plausible, and Toad's chances did jump up quite a bit too now.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
With the "only one character per month rule" being broken, I see no reason they'd reveal Peach before the release of Super Mario 3D World. A Mario newcomer suddenly seems much more plausible, and Toad's chances did jump up quite a bit too now.
The thing is that if they were to tie in a Mario newcomer with Super Mario 3D World, it would either be Toad or Bowser Jr.

Has Bowser Jr. even been confirmed for Super Mario 3D World?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The thing is that if they were to tie in a Mario newcomer with Super Mario 3D World, it would either be Toad or Bowser Jr.

Has Bowser Jr. even been confirmed for Super Mario 3D World?
No, but given his recent importance it certainly isn't out of question for him to appear. Though him lacking from 3D Land might be a problem.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
OH BOY! More straws to clutch!

In all seriousness, this does throw another curveball. I'd still say other Mario characters like BJ or *shudder* Waluigi are looking more likely though.

OH BOY! More straws to clutch!

In all seriousness, this does throw another curveball. I'd still say other Mario characters like BJ or *shudder* Waluigi are looking more likely though.
Waluigi, naw.

Jr, maybe. Sure, I guess.

Dear gawd, more straw clutching. This sucks.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Turns out the final boss of 3D World is Waluigi.

None of us saw it coming.

Ok, Toon Link's reveal does actually blast away that BS about multiples appearing. Nevermind, I guess I'm back on the optimism train.

Toon Link's reveal is more important in general than just "Toon Link" is in the game. Not just for potential newcomers like Toad and Bandanna Dee, but for all veterans whom seemed to be on the cutting board, with Tink seeming like the first one to get an axe to the neck.

Finally a reveal that makes me optimistic for this game rather than just cynical!

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Went and looked at the moveset for Toad listed with this and found myself rather disappointed.

So many opportunities to reference little things Toad does and little things he's done in his games were really missed, the gifs were cool but there is a lot more that could have been done.

I'll be writing up some suggestions to be sure, if you want people to want Toad in you gotta show off thee potential a bit better, Toad can represent so many games and I saw a lot of generic stuff.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Went and looked at the moveset for Toad listed with this and found myself rather disappointed.

So many opportunities to reference little things Toad does and little things he's done in his games were really missed, the gifs were cool but there is a lot more that could have been done.

I'll be writing up some suggestions to be sure, if you want people to want Taod in you gotta show off thee potential a bit better, Toad can represent so many games and I saw a lot of generic stuff.
All movesets are welcome.

Speaking of which...
Hey Berserker01, would you mind adding the Toad moveset ideas to the OP in spoiler tags?

Xhampi

Smash Lord
So with the Super Mario Galaxy stage being hinted, who here want the captain of the Toad Brigade ?

He wears a red jacket, a backpack and a headlamp, isn't this enough to see that he's not the Toad in Peach arms ?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So with the Super Mario Galaxy stage being hinted, who here want the captain of the Toad Brigade ?

He wears a red jacket, a backpack and a headlamp, isn't this enough to see that he's not the Toad in Peach arms ?
If I'm honest; I'd still much prefer Toad's red spots and blue coat. Although I'd prefer the red coat and spots to blue Toad. I was never sure if his cap was confirmed as a hat or a part of his head/hair in the game's canon.

But I'd rather they just do a simple palette swap on the counter Toad if they have to change the colours of any Toads. After all, Toad the (hyperthetical) playable character should take priority over Toad the B counter move.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
All movesets are welcome.
Bring it on then!

TOAD
When creating this moveset, I tried to provide as many reference to Toad's past as possible while creating a unique new style of character.
Toad is known for his great strength and speed despite his small size. This immediately reminded me of Pichu in Melee. (I'll be using some of it's moves even and showing it's hitboxes for examples to give an idea what movees will look like) I took the idea of this extremely fast and light character and realized he wouldn't have have fantastic range. To make up for this I allowed his moveset to be a cool combination of trap setting inspired somewhat by Sackboy from PSASBR to get the opponent to fall into your traps and get killed and speeding around trying to keep from being killed at such a light weight.
Weight: 55 (Pichu level)
Fall Speed: 107% (Pichu Level)
Size: Pichu Size
Jump: Force 2.00 (A little under Olimar, Toad is known as the one lacking jump height)
Air Speed: 150 (slighly higher then Yoshi in Brawl, Toad is know for that speed and mobility)
Range: Pichu Level
Shield: Olimar Sized
Wall Jump: Yes
Note: A player may choose to jump or just simply walk up then jump whenever. This references Wario Woods as well as the implied wall jumping Toad does in Super Mario Galaxy 2 scaling a large canyon.
Jump Notes: Toad's double jump will be a Flutter Jump inspired from Toad Jump, a mini game from Super Princess Peach. The second jump will have Toad flail in the air to try and keep up in the air. However unlike Yoshi's, you must mash the jump button to keep him in the air longer, this can allow him to somewhat float like Peach as well if short hopped into and pressed mashed rapidly. The mashing is supposed to resemble having to blow air into the microphone to make him jump in the mini game.
ATTACKS!!!
Neutral A:
Headbutt
Toad jabs his head forward. The move could link into itself if the opponent DIs badly and the player times it right. 1-2% damage per jab.
-
Forward Tilt:
Toad Kick
Aimable, Toad shoves his feet forward. Low range and knockback but fast. 8% damage.
Up Tilt:
Mow Down
Toad waves his head up in an arch. Similar hitbox and speed to Jigglypuff's up air. 10% damage
-
Down Tilt:
Toad's Roundhouse
Toad does a quick roundhouse kick foot extended. Like Jigglypuff's downward aimed F tilt but less range. 6% damage. (Also, the name is a tiny nod to the various houses Toad sells items in in games.)
-
Dash Attack:
Running Headbutt
A basic dash attack, Toad sticks his head out and trips mid-dash. 8% damage.
-
Forward Smash:
Spore Shot
Shoots spores in front of him. Can reflect some projectiles similar to Ness's forward smash (to reflect it's reflecting properties shown in Mario Sports Mix) 12% charged, 16% uncharged
-
Up Smash
Mushroom Rise!
Similar to what he does in Mario Sport Mix, Toad will summon mushrooms raising his hands and sending the enemy upwards. 16% unchanged, 20% charged. Note: subtract 2% and some upward force if Toad's hands hit the player instead of the mushrooms.
Hitbox Example (Imagine a small hutbox above his head area too)
-
Down Smash
The Spin
Toad quickly spins in place. It has more range than it appears and has invincibility frames, as well as powerful. 13% uncharged, 17% fully charged.
-
Ledge Attack
Gets back on the stage with a headbutt. 8% damage
100% Ledge Attack: Flops back on stage, some spores shooting out. These spores have the projectile reflecting properties. 4% damage
Floor Attack:
Poofs our a few spores and pops up. No projectile reflecting properties 2% damage
-
NAir
On A Roll!
Toad spins around, this attack has a generous hitbox. 12% damage.
-
Fair
Toad pushes forwards drilling his head into his target with spores coming out. Abouut 7% damage if all the hitboxes hit. No projectile reflecting properties.
-
Bair
Glider
Spins in an unusual way hitting the opponent. 12% damage but high ending and landing lag.
-
Uair
Flip Kick
Does a simple flip kick with lowish knockback similar to Luigi. 6% damage
Hitbox Example (but with feet instead of the tail, slightly lowered range)
-
Dair
Spin Jump
Similar to Mario's Mario Tornado, Toad does his own signature spin jump you can see from Mario Sports Mix. 14% if all attacks hit.
Hitbox Example 1 Hitbox Example 2 Hitbox Example 3 (Obviously smaller hitboxes with much less range)
-
Pummel: Hit opponent with his head over and over. 2-3% damage per pummel.
Forward Throw
Carry Throw
Picks up his opponent and can run him along and throw him. Similar to DK but he is able to move quite a bit faster. 6% damage, 9% throw.
Up Throw
Pop Em Up
Tosses The opponent up and headbutts them. 10% damage
Down Throw
Eat Spore!
Launches the foe into the ground and shoots out spores. 10% damage
Back Throw
Toad does many rolls backwards and tosses the target. 9% damage.
SPECIALS
Neutral Special:
Wanda
Game: Wario Woods
Effect: Wanda appears above Toad and drops a bomb he can catch or let drop and explode. This move is like Pikachu's Thunder in a way with the bomb coming down from the sky. The bombs would drop somewhat slowly, and the move would have cooldown so no more then 2 bombs could be falling at once.

If the proper colored bomb lands on a monster in the correct way it will cause a much larger and powerful explosion. If a wrong colored bomb lands on a monster, it falls unaffected to be left on the monster.

Bombs will not explode unless attacked, dropped correctly on a monster, or if it lands on a character while it is dropping.

Just bomb: 5-16%
Bomb WITH monster: 20%

Wanda
-

Up Special:
Power Squat Jump
Game: Super Mario Bros. 2
Effect: Squats down and begins flashing, charging the jump. When released Toad flies up able to VERY slightly alter his directory left or right. If his head or hands contact a player they will be hit hard into the air.

10% damage

Example

-
Down Special:
Head Lamp
Game From: Super Mario Galaxy
Effect: A quick flash of light leaves the enemy stunned! Similar to Mewtwo's Disable, this would lack the projectile properties of the former however and also have slightly improved range.

Example

-
Forward Special:
Monster Place
Game: Wario Woods

Effect: Places a Fuzz, Spud, Squeak, Beaker, Scram, Dovo, or Spook directly in front of him. A hybrid of Peach's turnips and D3's Waddle Dee Toss, Toad will place one of these monsters in front of him with the rarity of the monsters from the game effecting the choice. These monsters will not move unless picked up. Only three may be on the field at once. These will absorb some damage, the rarer ones absorbing more before poofing away or exploding from his Neutral B. These will create interesting walls he can try to use to get enemies into his traps.

Fuzz, Spud, Squeak, Beaker, Scram, Dovo, and Spook

TAUNTS
Taunt: Out Of Bounds Flag
Game From: Mario Golf
Effect: Waves his flag as he does in the Mario Golf games

Picture

Taunt: SERVE!
Game: Virtual Boy Mario Tennis
Effect: Uses his tennis racket to bounce a tennis ball off of the screen
(Toad's first game where he was playable in the series was Mario's Tennis on the Virtual Boy. This is a cool way to refrence "3D" and his first sports playing role)

Taunt: DANCE!
Game: DDR Mario Mix

Effect: Dances just like the first level of DDR Mario Mix

Taunt: HIGH FIVE!
Game: A Bunch
Effect: Toadette jumps out behind him and gives him a quick high five then jumps back

Picture

THOUGHTS
I think I have shown that Toad can be a very unique character with a cool new playstyle. I'd love some suggestions however, so let me know what you think!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think Chrono probably might like that moveset... he loves that game Wario's Woods.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Well, Toon Link is good for Toad, but I'm still not getting my hopes up.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Its important to note that a Japanese release date has not even been set for Super Mario 3D World (neither is there a Japanese release date for A Link Between Worlds, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, or Wii Party U).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
All I know is that October, November, and December are going to be hectic. Are we getting one veteran next month again? Or are we getting two or three? Or even a newcomer if Sakurai decides to screw with our cognitive thought processes again?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yay! I saved the thread! :awesome:

Now only Sakurai himself can save Toad. :(

Sounds pretty weird I have the weird feeling that that's pretty much the case. I mean, it sounds dumb and stupid that some guy would go that far to close it. Maybe it was a glitch. Toad's already unlikely to begin with so why the hate?

Ehhh. Maybe it really was a glitch but that seems like a possibility. Back to analyzing (Don't overdo it though)

Da Plant

Smash Rookie
Toad is my second favorite Mario character, other than Petey of course. I support this.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Honestly, I still consider him more likely than Bowser Jr. because of Sakurai's preference to sidekicks over villains. We had Luigi instead of Bowser in the original, and Falco instead of Wolf in Melee. And, while this may just be because of the ability to make them clones, Wolf would have worked just as well as Falco, but still failed to get in over him. That's just my two cents, though (if that).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What if Toad ends up being a semi-clone of Mario and Luigi? What if he is the Wolf to Mario's Fox? :(

I just want Toad to have an unique playstyle... maybe be a grappler-type fighter where his speciality is grabbing opponents.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
What if Toad ends up being a semi-clone of Mario and Luigi? What if he is the Wolf to Mario's Fox? :(

I just want Toad to have an unique playstyle... maybe be a grappler-type fighter where his speciality is grabbing opponents.
I wouldn't have a problem with that, but I honestly don't see how it would work. I just tried making a moveset and I couldn't...here's a very crazy idea, though...what if he was a semi-semi-clone of Peach? He could even borrow a couple of the Mario brothers' moves, like Mario's dair!

Cannot float, fastest Mario character.

B: Counter (that would be ironic.)
Side B: Mario Kart?
Down B: Turnip Pull
Up B: Power Squat Jump

Most A moves are different because of body structure differences and whatnot...I may make a complete moveset later.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I think I have shown that Toad can be a very unique character with a cool new playstyle. I'd love some suggestions however, so let me know what you think!

More references to New Super Mario Bros Wii. I feel that is the source of his renewed chances. Give him the helicopter hat for up special.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Toad should have...

B - Iceball (New Super Mario Bros. Wii)
Side B - Flying Squirrel (New Super Mario Bros. U)
Up B - Propeller (New Super Mario Bros. Wii)
Down B - Pick Up (Super Mario Bros. 2)
Final Smash - Wands's Bombs (Wario's Woods)

B - Spore emit (Because Sakurai would probably think so. Not that he's in but whatever)
> B - Cat suit (Nya)
^ B - Super jump OR Propeller cap (Really depends)
v B - Pluck (Because there are 2 flamethrowers and 2 fireballs in the game lol)

Final smash : Anything really (Don't care)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If Toad has a spore move, should it work the same way as Peach's Toad or should it be different? Maybe spores that has different effects? Spores that poison opponents or put opponents to sleep or even turn opponents into mushrooms just like the mushroom enemies do in Super Mario RPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom