• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

Spatman

Smash Ace
EXactly. So why did Sakurai feel the need to remove Spirit Tracks Toon Link from the stage whenever Wind Waker Toon Link is playable on that stage?
It would have been confusing for players (especially the more casual/who know less tloz)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It would have been confusing for players (especially the more casual/who know less tloz)
Why “confusing” when it could be “educational”?

It would show casuals that there are more than one Toon Link in the timeline. I mean, we have three Links, why would one more be confusing?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Why “confusing” when it could be “educational”?

It would show casuals that there are more than one Toon Link in the timeline. I mean, we have three Links, why would one more be confusing?
Except not really. Toon Link is the same character. In his trophy, his games are Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks.

It'd just more logical to remove Captain Toad from the background while playable. Maybe replaced him with Captain Toadette or something.

--------------

I originally was under the idea the Toon Link argument was good, but then I realized the issue with it. Toon Link was playable in a previous game before having a background appearance. That means it didn't mean anything. We haven't actually seen Sakurai tease a character in the same game before their playable debut when it comes to stages. Duck Hunt showed up officially as playable before the stage reveal too.

Not saying Captain Toad cannot happen, but the Toon Link argument doesn't apply to him since there is notable context. Even worse is I didn't realize this during Smash 4's speculation period. So yeah, to say the least, this is a fair reason to disconfirm some characters right now. Or at least believe they're done. It's obviously not the same thing as a stage hazard or key stage focus, but yeah.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Toon Link is the Link from windwaker and phantom hourglass. They are the same person in the two games.

Link from spirit tracks is a completly different person he has no relation to windwaker Link. Princess Zelda grandparents in spirit tracks are presumably Tetra and windwaker Link. I.E. spirit tracks Link is not even a blood relative.

But thats beside the point.

I just hope for Toad’s sake when the final roster is set. That is what will launch his popularity. Sometimes it takes the final roster to be set for other characters to die off, see decidueye, incinaroar, random echo fighter support threads etc. Then the real wanted characters start to emerge and hopefully people then start to see Toad for the icon he is.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
"Toon Link This cartoonish version of Link is how he appeared in The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker and a few other titles. In Smash Bros., he uses moves much like his older, taller counterpart. His small size gives him extra speed, though, so take advantage of that to send your foes flying.
This cartoonish version of young Link is how he appears in The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker and a few other titles. While he shares some moves with his older counterpart, he's a very different fighter. Take advantage of his size and speed to whirl past enemies and bombard them with long-range attacks.
: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (03/2003)
: The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (12/2009) "

Toon Link is an artstyle, not just a specific character. That's the problem. He was revealed as part of a stage while already being playable in a previous game. It didn't matter if he was a separate person in Zelda canon. They're the same guy in Smash anyway. Conductor Link(Toon Link's design from Spirit Tracks) disappeared when Link appeared too, which while strange, was showing that the characters are pretty much just Link. There's a reason Link's design in 4 also had elements from more than one game. He was just supposed to represent the pure Adult variation, not one game as a whole. That's why his moveset has had him do things his "design" couldn't. Like the Boomerang from the OOT design. Link can't use it outside of his child form. It was irrelevant since he's a mishmash of characters.

As for Captain Toad, I'm not sure what you mean by "that is what will launch his popularity"? Like, I hope he gets in(moreso regular Toad. But Captain is a different person regardless and all they share is the species) too, but I don't get the point you're making here? I feel like a sentence explaining the reason why is missed, heh.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Essentially, there are a lot of support threads for a lot of characters right now hoping for their inclusions. Most of these are unlikely additions at this point. But they have support none the less.

But typically a lot of characters lose a lot of popularity after the final roster is revealed.

It is when these characters lose their supporters that they will hop over to more heavily requested characters who have a way better shot for either the next game or dlc.

Examples like I gave decidueye, incinaroar chourus kids, lip, If they dont get in here and now I highly doubt the requests for dlc will be very high or really supported over the heavy hitters.

Ashley is the big bandwagon for dlc atm. If someone like Dixie or Isaac dont get in I beleive they will also soar in popularity. Like really soar, to like Krool and Ridley heights of requests.

I hope and believe toad will be another one if we get a final deconfimation.

I hope that clears my point up a little more.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Did you see that Nindies Direct? One of the games called Treasure Stack reminded me of Wario's Woods.

Ugh... I wish Nintendo made a new Wario's Woods game with Captain Toad, Toadette, Toadsworth, and the Toad Brigade as playable characters.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
so i was on the radio today talking about smash and i mentioned toad

p.s. this is not a plug as its over

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Has anybody put up this video yet? It really makes a good case for Captain Toad's viability.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Not sure if I'm missing the rest of the story. What's the scoop Fogbadge?
a friend of mine hosts a radio show i was on it a couple weeks ago and they offered my own spot i decided to talk about ultimate and naturally i mentioned how i wanted to se toad in the series (among others)

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
a friend of mine hosts a radio show i was on it a couple weeks ago and they offered my own spot i decided to talk about ultimate and naturally i mentioned how i wanted to se toad in the series (among others)
Ah nice; tell us more about what sort of thing you said! Or if there's anywhere to listen to it, whack up a link. I'd be interested in seeing how that went!

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Ah nice; tell us more about what sort of thing you said! Or if there's anywhere to listen to it, whack up a link. I'd be interested in seeing how that went!
well i was mostly explaining about the new smash game and it was my first show so it was only half an hour did have to much time to go in to heavy about why i want toad and why he should be in smash

i think its repeated a week on friday but i dont think i should go into to much detail as its probably against forum rules

if any mods seeing this could confirm

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Nice! Please mention Meowth and Team Rocket (Arbok and Weezing take turns as Meowth’s tag team partner). This idea needs to be planted in many people’s minds.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
So today's blog update seems to be centered on New Donk City:

Even if it could have fit in as a side tweet, Captain Toad wasn't even mentioned.

Seems like he's just in the big shadow of Pauline and her Big Band who are clearly shown as main stars of that stage, while already having been relegated to an un-noteworthy of a background NPC-role. :ohwell:

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
well i was mostly explaining about the new smash game and it was my first show so it was only half an hour did have to much time to go in to heavy about why i want toad and why he should be in smash

i think its repeated a week on friday but i dont think i should go into to much detail as its probably against forum rules

if any mods seeing this could confirm
Is it a local radio show? That would limit the impact on things.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

Even if it could have fit in as a side tweet, Captain Toad wasn't even mentioned.

Seems like he's just in the big shadow of Pauline and her Big Band who are clearly shown as main stars of that stage, while already having been relegated to an un-noteworthy of a background NPC-role. :ohwell:
To be honest, that might be better. Smaller NPC background role means we could theoretically be pushing the Captain for DLC without any major issues.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
it is quite a shame that when we get the update for new donk city hall they leave out captain toad but what can you do

we will love toad/captain toad no matter how hes treated

blazefan519

Smash Ace

Maybe it's for the best that he's not emphasized and doesn't play a role in the stage because that means there wouldn't be any difficulty removing him if he were added for DLC.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To be honest, that might be better. Smaller NPC background role means we could theoretically be pushing the Captain for DLC without any major issues.
Maybe it's for the best that he's not emphasized and doesn't play a role in the stage because that means there wouldn't be any difficulty removing him if he were added for DLC.
Since Pauline clearly won't be playable in the near future, that would be a fair tradeoff.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

So they finally acknowledge Super Princess Peach now. Wonder if it will mean she will finally get a new Final Smash from her own game.

But what I really wish is for them to replace Toad with Perry so Toad can be a playable fighter and Perry can be Peach's new meat shield.

I am so frustrated and angry that they had plenty of options to do with Peach and Toad and they chose to put them together as one fighter, screwing Toad in the process.

I feel that Peach's new Toad counter and her new Toad grabs/throws made things worse for Toad. Yeah, they make Toad look like a competent fighter but it means they would rather make Toad a bigger part of Peach's moveset instead of making Toad a new playable fighter.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

So they finally acknowledge Super Princess Peach now. Wonder if it will mean she will finally get a new Final Smash from her own game.

But what I really wish is for them to replace Toad with Perry so Toad can be a playable fighter and Perry can be Peach's new meat shield.

I am so frustrated and angry that they had plenty of options to do with Peach and Toad and they chose to put them together as one fighter, screwing Toad in the process.

I feel that Peach's new Toad counter and her new Toad grabs/throws made things worse for Toad. Yeah, they make Toad look like a competent fighter but it means they would rather make Toad a bigger part of Peach's moveset instead of making Toad a new playable fighter.
we'll just have to keep at it until they change their minds

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Seeing Peach broil people into submission out of anger would be endlessly amusing to me (especially since Daisy may most likely end up sharing that one).

we'll just have to keep at it until they change their minds
I worry that the likeliest outcome is that they'd swap in Perry, yet keep Toad in Daisy's moveset.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Seeing Peach broil people into submission out of anger would be endlessly amusing to me (especially since Daisy may most likely end up sharing that one).

I worry that the likeliest outcome is that they'd swap in Perry, yet keep Toad in Daisy's moveset.
ill also be campaigning to give daisy to give daisy the boot

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There is also a chance that if Daisy's taken out, while Peach has Perry replacing Toad, and the Captain still doesn't show up as playable, it'd be a lose-lose situation since there'd be two fanbases that are ticked off at that point. Gotta be careful with those monkey paw wishes.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman

What KirbyWorshipper said is a possible outcome, & from my P.O.V., it'd be real upsetting to go back to having zero out of two of your most wanted Mario characters in the next game. Not to start anything, but couldn't we agree on the ideal scenario that Daisy undergoes Toad-less Luigification, while Peach gets Perry, & Toad finally becomes a fighter next time?

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
It is bizarre to me that Toad's enhanced role with Peach gets no mention yet it is perhaps the biggest change this time with Peach (aside from her likely having a new Final Smash). It all goes back to what I said here: https://smashboards.com/threads/of-...rst-appearance-in-smash.457821/#post-22345539

Toad right now is the deconfirmed character that has had the roughest time by far. Not even his enhanced non-playable role is worth a mention. If he was not a part of Peach's moveset in Melee, I would estimate he probably would have been a newcomer in Smash 4.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Gotta admit, I feel Daisy is deserving of being in. Just like I do with Waluigi. I just wish Toad had been in before her...and Rosalina...and Doc...and especially Geno if the rumours are true.

A Toadless Daisy and Peach is a future Luigification I'd be fully on board with since Toad doesn't even make sense for Daisy really.

The last two updates to the blog have weirdly both been Toad deconfirmations minus any written mention of him. Makes me a little sad.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

What KirbyWorshipper said is a possible outcome, & from my P.O.V., it'd be real upsetting to go back to having zero out of two of your most wanted Mario characters in the next game. Not to start anything, but couldn't we agree on the ideal scenario that Daisy undergoes Toad-less Luigification, while Peach gets Perry, & Toad finally becomes a fighter next time?
nope daisy must be purged

i support toad 200%
welcome aboard, shall i add you to out support list?

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
Here’s some good news: seems like Captain Toad, Toadette, and even some others from Treasure Tracker are getting Switch user icons in the next update!
4DF36544-10C0-4A4C-86FB-CBA306483F15.jpeg

As happy as I am about that, I find it interesting that they added them over the Toad, who still has yet to get his own icon with the other Mario casr. Is Captain Toad slowly nudging the Toad out of Nintendo’s spotlight?

Maybe it’s a stretch but the fact that they got their own row maybe means Captain Toad is its own series now?

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Here’s some good news: seems like Captain Toad, Toadette, and even some others from Treasure Tracker are getting Switch user icons in the next update!
View attachment 160944
As happy as I am about that, I find it interesting that they added them over the Toad, who still has yet to get his own icon with the other Mario casr. Is Captain Toad slowly nudging the Toad out of Nintendo’s spotlight?

Maybe it’s a stretch but the fact that they got their own row maybe means Captain Toad is its own series now?
gonna change my avatar for the first time

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
This new development got me thinking: if Captain Toad can't get in Smash as a Mario representative, he could get in by representing his game(s) instead with blackjack, and hookers.

Also, it'd be nice to hear a Smash version of the Treasure Tracker stage clear theme.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Same. Sorry Yoshi, but time for me to push my Toad love.
I have always had Timmy & Tommy as my Switch icon since launch since I love Animal Crossing... but I think I will change to Captain Toad to show my support for Toad. It sucks that there were no Toad icons since launch.

Oh yeah, I just saw a tweet that inspired me. If you have time, maybe you could make a fan art of Captain Toad and Team Rocket Meowth treasure hunting together.

Top Bottom