• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

blazefan519

Smash Ace
im not going to stop supporting him i just think sakurai hates toad and is moving the series away from nintendo and towards third party
I honestly doubts he hates him. If he did then why would he be even more apart of Peach's moveset and got his own Mii Costume in Smash 4? I think the reason he wasn't included this time around was he didn't know that C. Toad would do so well at the time and didn't know about the eventual Switch and 3ds Port, so to throw the Toad fans a bone, he decided to have him play a bigger part of Peach's moveset.

So, if we keep showing our support and love for the character, I think he has a very good chance as DLC.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I personally think the Captain has a shot at DLC. A background NPC role is easily removeable replaceable, just look at Toon Link on the Spirit Tracks stage. Toad fans must never give up. Things looked just as bleak for Ridley and Roy fans back in November 2014. The deck was also stacked against the likes of Dark Samus and Chrom.

For Ridley:
- Ridley had been turned down three times already (he had been a popularly requested character since pre-Melee)
- Sakurai himself said re-sizing Ridley would go against the foundation to the character. That is one of the hardest deconfirmations ever.

For Roy:
- Fire Emblem already had four playable characters.
- One of them was a Marth clone (Lucina)
- Lots of popular Brawl veterans were cut (Ice Climbers, Wolf, Snake, Lucas) which made many see Roy as a low priority veteran to return since he was from Fire Emblem and a clone.

K. Rool recently overcame great hurdles:
- Had not been in a game in his own series in 11 years (2007), had not made an appearance in a game outside Smash Bros. in 10 years (2008).
- Missed the two biggest DK titles released since DK64, Returns and Tropical Freeze.
- Sakurai has said he tends to picks characters and franchises with a future when deciding the roster (exceptions typically being game's retro pick)

Chrom too had a lot of things going against him:
- From a franchise that already had SIX playable characters, with only Mario and Pokemon having more playable characters.
- Fire Emblem being among the few franchises where people groan about the possibility of newcomers.
- Awakening being over 6.5 years old, in a series that tends to favor the most recent installments and "faces" to the franchise (Fates, Shadows of Valentia, and Three Houses all came after Awakening).
- Awakening already being represented by Robin and Lucina.
- Chrom being heavily treated as a joke in Smash 4 (see Robin's unveil trailer, and Palutena's guidance for Robin).
- There already being three blue-haired swordsmen in the game.

Even Dark Samus was another character that overcame tremendous odds:
- From a series where people had to beg for 17 years its most popular character next to Samus to be included.
- Made her last appearance in her own series 11 years ago (Metroid Prime 3 in 2007).
- Likely has no future in her own series.
- Most fan requests for a Metroid newcomer went to Ridley (but Sakurai did say she was popularly requested so who knows)
- Barely any Metroid Prime series content in the Smash 4 (the only content it received in Smash 4 was an Assist Trophy of Dark Samus, a trophy of said Assist Trophy, and four track rips, three of which were already in Brawl).
- Only one other Assist Trophy was ever promoted to playable status, and that was Little Mac. An icon from one of Nintendo's oldest series.
- Metroid, a smaller core Nintendo franchise, had already received a newcomer, and already had three FULLY unique playable characters (which puts it on par with the likes of Kirby, DK, ZELDA).

Toad/Captain Toad fans should not give up. Things certainly look bleak, but they also looked bleak for the characters listed above. Keep trying.

Last edited:

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
I personally think the Captain has a shot at DLC. A background NPC role is easily removeable replaceable, just look at Toon Link on the Spirit Tracks stage.
I think Captain Toad could easily be replaced by Hint Toad for example, since I doubt we get him as an alt, I think we'd see Captain Toad and Toadette, but not any brigade members, although that could also be the case. If this is the case, he could also be replaced by the new donker that disappears when you approach him a New Donker easily.

Last edited:

blazefan519

Smash Ace
I personally think the Captain has a shot at DLC. A background NPC role is easily removeable replaceable, just look at Toon Link on the Spirit Tracks stage. Toad fans must never give up. Things looked just as bleak for Ridley and Roy fans back in November 2014. The deck was also stacked against the likes of Dark Samus and Chrom.

For Ridley:
- Ridley had been turned down three times already (he had been a popularly requested character since pre-Melee)
- Sakurai himself said re-sizing Ridley would go against the foundation to the character. That is one of the hardest deconfirmations ever.

For Roy:
- Lots of popular Brawl veterans were cut (Ice Climbers, Wolf, Snake, Lucas) which made many see Roy as a low priority veteran to return since he was from Fire Emblem and a clone.

- Had not been in a game in his own series in 11 years (2007), had not made an appearance in a game outside Smash Bros. in 10 years (2008).
- Missed the two biggest DK titles released since DK64, Returns and Tropical Freeze.
- Sakurai has said he tends to picks characters and franchises with a future when deciding the roster (exceptions typically being game's retro pick)

- From a franchise that already had SIX playable characters, with only Mario and Pokemon having more playable characters.
- Fire Emblem being among the few franchises where people groan about the possibility of newcomers.
- Awakening being over 6.5 years old, in a series that tends to favor the most recent installments and "faces" to the franchise (Fates, Shadows of Valentia, and Three Houses all came after Awakening).
- Chrom being heavily treated as a joke in Smash 4 (see Robin's unveil trailer, and Palutena's guidance for Robin).

- From a series where people had to beg for 17 years its most popular character next to Samus to be included.
- Made her last appearance in her own series 11 years ago (Metroid Prime 3 in 2007).
- Most fan requests for a Metroid newcomer went to Ridley (but Sakurai did say she was popularly requested so who knows)
- Barely any Metroid Prime series content in the Smash 4 (the only content it received in Smash 4 was an Assist Trophy of Dark Samus, a trophy of said Assist Trophy, and four track rips, three of which were already in Brawl).
- Only one other Assist Trophy was ever promoted to playable status, and that was Little Mac. An icon from one of Nintendo's oldest series.
- Metroid, a smaller core Nintendo franchise, had already received a newcomer, and already had three FULLY unique playable characters (which puts it on par with the likes of Kirby, DK, ZELDA).

Toad/Captain Toad fans should not give up. Things certainly look bleak, but they also looked bleak for the characters listed above. Keep trying.
Alfonzo: Leave it to me!

Jokes aside I think Captain Toad could easily be replaced by Hint Toad for example, since I doubt we get him as an alt, I think we'd see Captain Toad and Toadette, but not any brigade members, although that could also be the case. If this is the case, he could also be replaced by the new donker that disappears when you approach him a New Donker easily.
My point exactly. You shouldn't let any of this get to you guys. It was clear that Sakurai was going to start focusing on fan-favorites this time around, and while Toad has its fans, we're definitely not as big as K. Rool or Ridley. So all we have to do is keep asking for him as DLC.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

For Ridley:

For Roy:

to be fair it was incredible popularity that lead to k.rool, chrom, dark samus, inkling and ridley

Alfonzo: Leave it to me!

Jokes aside I think Captain Toad could easily be replaced by Hint Toad for example, since I doubt we get him as an alt, I think we'd see Captain Toad and Toadette, but not any brigade members, although that could also be the case. If this is the case, he could also be replaced by the new donker that disappears when you approach him a New Donker easily.
right enough of that id prefer not to have that joke in my thread if you dont mind

Last edited:

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
DLC is probably our best hope now.

The stage background Plus the increased role in Peaches move-set I feel has virtually dropped him to 0% for the base roster in my mind.

Which is a dam shame. The only true Nintendo All-stars left not playable in smash are Toad/Captain and Dixie in my books.

CWCPT00

Smash Cadet
I mean... It would be very Sakurai to say that “when Captain Toad isn’t in battle, he can be found looking for treasure in New Donk City!” It would fit his character a lot, but don’t expect it to happen.

For a DLC inclusion for Captain Toad, we need to hope that Treasure Tracker for Switch becomes a big hit before Ultimate’s release so that it may catch Sakurai’s eye and consider him.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
I mean... It would be very Sakurai to say that “when Captain Toad isn’t in battle, he can be found looking for treasure in New Donk City!” It would fit his character a lot, but don’t expect it to happen.

For a DLC inclusion for Captain Toad, we need to hope that Treasure Tracker for Switch becomes a big hit before Ultimate’s release so that it may catch Sakurai’s eye and consider him.
If I remember correctly, it was #2 in July during it's first week, right after Octopath. If it keeps doing well (hopefully enough to warrant a sequel) I feel like Sakurai would have every reason imaginable to put him in.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
Let's have some positivity. How can we get the support of Toad up going forward as Toad supporters?

How do we garner support for the Captain, classic Toad and Toadette?
Memes. If it helped Waluigi, it can help us.

But in reality, I think the best thing we can do is just show our love for the guy and hope he gets into more games. I think the reason why Geno got the following that he did despite only being in a Spin-off is because that Spin-off is a beloved game. While Captain Toad really only has his own game and the puzzle genre is very niche. Regular Toad kinda has a bad stigma. A lot of people find his voice annoying and there's people who hate him because of how over saturated they are in the later Paper Mario games and the crossover between the M&L and PM. Toadette I believe is generally well-liked and she did have a role in Paper Mario TTYD where she would be a tutorial character and people loved her there.

I think the main thing to help them be supported more is to have more roles in games.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Memes. If it helped Waluigi, it can help us.

But in reality, I think the best thing we can do is just show our love for the guy and hope he gets into more games. I think the reason why Geno got the following that he did despite only being in a Spin-off is because that Spin-off is a beloved game. While Captain Toad really only has his own game and the puzzle genre is very niche. Regular Toad kinda has a bad stigma. A lot of people find his voice annoying and there's people who hate him because of how over saturated they are in the later Paper Mario games and the crossover between the M&L and PM. Toadette I believe is generally well-liked and she did have a role in Paper Mario TTYD where she would be a tutorial character and people loved her there.

I think the main thing to help them be supported more is to have more roles in games.
ill be adding no memes to the op

as for how we can increase support/presence i think we can just do what we always do

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
While Captain Toad really only has his own game and the puzzle genre is very niche. Regular Toad kinda has a bad stigma. A lot of people find his voice annoying and there's people who hate him because of how over saturated they are in the later Paper Mario games and the crossover between the M&L and PM. Toadette I believe is generally well-liked and she did have a role in Paper Mario TTYD where she would be a tutorial character and people loved her there.

Normally, I don't actively share many ideas, but in this case, I don't see any harm...

I've actually had a potential spin-off brainstorming in my head since 2015. It'd be a somewhat arabian themed 3D puzzle-solving platformer with a Yoshi's Island-esque origin story about The Toad before he served Peach. It would also unify with the Captain Toad series.

I call it Shroomtopia!

Toad, Captain Toad (my headcanon is that they're twins, ala Pete & Pete ) & Toadette (who would further tap into her tinkerer persona from Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, albeit more humble) would be the main trio of stars. They would embark on a wild chase around the titular island in pursuit of Wingo (or a new villain), whos' taken an ancient macguffin that keeps the island afloat. The style of each level depends on who you're playing as, kinda like Sonic Adventure. Toad's levels would have more emphasis on SMB2/Wario's Woods-inspired platforming, Toadette's would have more emphasis on puzzles, where she would use a bubble-wand/wrench hybrid. Captain's would pretty much be in the same style as his own game.

It's not a fully-formed idea, but with more bells n' whistles, tell me. Would you buy it?.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Normally, I don't share many ideas, but in this case, I don't see any harm...

I've actually had a potential spin-off brainstorming in my head since 2015. It'd be a somewhat arabian themed puzzle-solving platformer with a Yoshi's Island-esque origin story about The Toad before he served Peach. It would also unify with the Captain Toad series.

I call it Shroomtopia!

Toad, Captain Toad (my headcannon is that they're twins, ala Pete & Pete) & Toadette (who would further tap into her tinkerer persona from Paper Jam, albeit more humble) would be the main trio of stars. They would embark on a wild chase around the titular island in pursuit of Wingo (or a new villain), whos' taken an ancient maguffin that keeps the island afloat. The style of each level depends on who you're playing as, kinda like Sonic Adventure. Toad's levels would have more emphasis on SMB2/Wario's Woods-inspired platforming, Toadette's would have more emphasis on puzzles, where she would use a bubble-wand/wrench hybrid. Captain's would hit the middle ground, like in his own game.

It's not a fully-formed idea, but with more bells n' whistles, tell me. Would you buy it?.
Hecks yes. Platformers and puzzles, weirdly enough, tend to be my two favourite game types when it comes to Nintendo. Day one purchase with three different game styles, some Mario lore and our boys(and girl) in the protagonist position.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Memes, you say?

I made some memes for Meowth and Team Rocket.

That "New Challenger Approaching: Team Rocket" meme I posted in the Smash Ultimate Discussion thread got about 15 likes.

I guess I will have to endear Meowth to Smash fans with memes.

I am sure YoshiandToad YoshiandToad can make some pro-Toad memes and videos. He also made that Captain Toad video that got 10K likes.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
I was just about to say that videos like YoshiandToad YoshiandToad 's really help turn the tide. Just looking at the impact that video did seems to have convinced people that a seemingly impossible fighter can be one of the most unique if done correctly (not to mention the amount of polish and overall quality the video oozes goes to show just how dedicated we are to Toad/Captain Toad)! Consider it propaganda in a sense: more pictures, videos, even memes about Toad/Captain Toad's inclusion should draw some attention.

I suppose I might as well throw my own piece in the ring, though I have to say it's nowhere NEAR as good as YoshiandToad's video. A while back I thought up a reveal trailer using Project M and other Brawl mods for Toad, but since I don't have a capture card I had to record everything on my laptop webcam. But despite it looking and just generally being pretty bad, it seemed to draw some Toad fans together in thinking of a playable Toad in Smash. However, I doubt I was able to convince any naysayers since that mod was pretty much a Ness reskin. If someone else can do a better reveal trailer, then by all means I encourage you to do so!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pRxNkhVcS4

One thing to keep in mind is that, as we spread the word of Toad/Captain Toad, consider that we don't necessarily need to have everyone actively want him. As others have noted, Toad has some pretty negative stigma given his voice role in some of the games, so even diminishing that would, I imagine, greatly improve his popularity. It's definitely ideal to garner as many engaged supporters as possible; however, just getting folks on the "I'm okay with Toad/Captain Toad" would be progress.

I also made a Captain Toad splash card a few years back. Honestly, I don't think these serve much purpose other than looking cool, but it's certainly one way to get people thinking about Toad/Captain Toad in Smash!

Attachments

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Albo Albo your reveal trailer video was really cool. i liked some of the little scenes you created for it (like facepalming at peach using a toad as a shield) and it feels so natural seeing Toad fighting amongst the Nintendo all-stars
I was always in support of Captain Toad, but I think you just won me over on regular Toad too.

Things like this and YoshiandToad YoshiandToad 's moveset video are really impressive. there's a lot of love and dedication to the Toads around here. makes me want to try and do my part too.

Never give up Toad Brigade. keep supporting our Shroomy Savior and spread the word like a mushroom spreads spores!
Even if we don't get Alfonzo'd in the base game, Toad/Cap has a great shot at being DLC if we keep our heads held high and our voices loud.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
We must keep letting Sakurai know that upgrading Toad from a helpless meat shield to a willing bodyguard is not what we want. That is unacceptable. I don't want crumbs. I want the main course. We must let him know that we want to play as Toad.

When they were showing characters' names and numbers, I thought Toad was a new playable fighter when I saw him punching instead of being a helpless meat shield... so I immediately looked down to see his name and number... and it's not there.

What the **** was that? I am still feeling resentful that I felt hopeful for nothing again after I swore I would never let Sakurai give me false hope again after what happened in SSB4.

1534136878935.png

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
On the Official Smash Ultimate discussion someone mentioned they were trying to think of what Toad could be an echo of(since it's the hot new thing).

Someone suggested a Captain Falcon Echo; This wasn't the Captain Toad I was supporting but I'm not against it:
CaptainFalToad.png

However on a more serious note; with Chrom being an echo that seems to borrow from Roy, Marth AND Ike(making him the ultimate sword lord I guess?) it seems echoes could be using multiple fighters abilities.

For a fun thought experiment; create a specials moveset for our shroomy overlord using ONLY parts from other fighters, to create Toad as a MEGA ECHO FIGHTER.

Neutral special: Toad Counter
I mean obviously he'd be able to do his own counter move from Peach. Could even just directly lift his new animation.
Side special: Bullet Bill
Villager's Lloid rocket reskinned to look like a Bullet Bill
Up special: Toadstool Bounce
Reskinned Sonic's Spring to look like one of the bouncy shrooms from NSMB
Down Special: Turnip Pluck
A straight pull from Peach again, but between Treasure Tracker and SMB2 I feel turnip plucking is an integral part of the Toad's moveset be it Captain, Classic or Toadtette.

Now, as the character Toad is cosplaying would say; SHOW ME YOUR MOVES

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
For a fun thought experiment; create a specials moveset for our shroomy overlord using ONLY parts from other fighters, to create Toad as a MEGA ECHO FIGHTER.

I was actually thinking of something like that back when Brawl modding was more active than now, if we ever got a Toad moveset for Brawl/PM. This is what I thought:

Neutral B: Fireball - Toads appeared in NSMBWII and they were able to use the fire flower, so it's obvious.
Side B: Mushroom Missile - A copy of Luigi's side-b, but uses mushrooms, 1 mushroom being the weakest fire, 2 mushrooms being medium and the third being the max one, while the Golden Mushroom appears to signify a misfire.
Down B: Pluck - Of course Toad would have pluck, but rather than plucking Bob-Ombs by a random chance, he could pluck an enemy, being a bit heavier than a normal turnip and slightly doing more damage.
Up B: That Punch Jump or However it's Called that Mario and Luigi have as their Up-B - Toads appear in NSMBWII and jumping is a normal thing in the Mario Bros. games so why not. I was actually thinking of the propeller mushroom, as a Peach's copy, but I didn't see it working out well.

Pretty much all of his moves are like Mario's, essentially like Luigi, but using moves from various characters across the Mario franchise, like Wolf, but reduced to the Mario series. These are the moves that would be changed from Mario's to others':
-His pummel and neutral attack is Olimar's.
-His dash attack is Luigi's, to reference Melee's Toad in adventure mode when you fight different colored Yoshis.
-His forward tilt is Peach's, and, you guessed it, with his head.
-His forward smash is Peach's, nothing changed, only the frying pan is removed.
-His down smash is Wario's, but, on his head of course.
-Down thrown is Wario's, but with his head, you didn't expect that, huh?
-His forward aerial is like Peach's, but instead, with his giant mushroom head.
-His up-air is like Yoshi's, but with his giant mushroom head.

These are all the ideas I had, the rest could simply be Mario's moves. Of course, most animations would need to be changed, or I'd prefer for some to be changed, like the forward smash should be changed to Toad's way of charging the racket to his Mario Tennis form, and the Side B using a different animation. Another would be the Neutral B, but doesn't need to.

One note is that the standard Toad costume should be the blue one, followed by the yellow one, to make it "different" from Peach's Toad, and of course, because of NSMBWII and SM3DW making blue Toad the standard hero Toad.

Last edited:

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Okay, after thinking extensively this morning, is it bad that part of me actually wants Toad like this? Like, real talk, he could potentially make history as Smash's first ever full-on composite character.

Think of it. Most of Toad's attacks can be Ness' or Lucas' PSI, but with spores, just like Albo's PM mod (you could justify it as a "Spore-Fu" technique he learned, a Smash original move ala Green Missile or Peach Bomber)

His side tilt, up tilt, dash attack & Neutral B could be like Olimar's. Only the Neutral B functions differently, with Wario's Woods creatures + the occasional bomb in place of Pikmin.

As mentioned before, his side B could be Villager's Rocket, just with a SMB2-style rocket or Bullet Bill.

His up B can be the large bouncy mushroom from Mario Sports Mix that functions like Sonic's spring mixed with Pac-Man's trampoline. Bounce it 3 times, minus Pac's free-falling.

Finally, his down B would be Peach's infamous counter, with an added "mushroom" effect.
Throw in his signature high-speed/low-jump stats & a whole new set of animations n' taunts, & Viola!

IDK. I'm positive that not many will agree, but honestly, I'd take it at this point.

Last edited:

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
Okay, after thinking extensively this morning, is it bad that part of me actually wants Toad like this? Like, real talk, he could potentially make history as Smash's first ever full-on composite character.

Think of it. Most of Toad's attacks can be Ness' or Lucas' PSI, but with spores, just like Albo's PM mod (you could justify it as a "Spore-Fu" technique he learned, a Smash original move ala Green Missile or Peach Bomber)

His side tilt, up tilt, dash attack & Neutral B could be like Olimar's. Only the Neutral B is slightly different, with Wario's Woods creatures + the occasional bomb in place of Pikmin.

As mentioned before, his side B could be Villager's Rocket, just with a SMB2-style rocket or Bullet Bill.

His up B can be Sonic's spring mixed with Pac-Man's trampoline. Bounce it 3 times, minus Pac's helpless falling.

Finally, his down B would be Peach's infamous counter, with an added mushroom effect.
Throw in his signature high-speed/low-jump stats & a whole new set of animations n' taunts, & Viola!

IDK. I'm positive that not many will agree, but honestly, I'd take it at this point.

I actually wouldn't have a problem with this at all, it looks more unique than my ideas and would make him more of a Wolf situation, I like that! The only thing I don't like is the neutral B, I just never liked people porting Toad over Olimar normally because they think turnips work as pikmin.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
These are all super cool ideas. I like the idea of him being a mesh between all the Mario characters (specifically Luigi and Mario just like Chrom is with Roy and Ike). If Toad were to make it in this addition, do you think that Sakurai will make it regular Toad or Captain Toad? I'd imagine it'd have to be Captain because of Peach but maybe he could spruce up his outfit like Peach, Daisy, and Rosa so that he looks unique enough for it to be regular Toad. What do you guys think?

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
These are all super cool ideas. I like the idea of him being a mesh between all the Mario characters (specifically Luigi and Mario just like Chrom is with Roy and Ike). If Toad were to make it in this addition, do you think that Sakurai will make it regular Toad or Captain Toad? I'd imagine it'd have to be Captain because of Peach but maybe he could spruce up his outfit like Peach, Daisy, and Rosa so that he looks unique enough for it to be regular Toad. What do you guys think?

With the existence of Captain Toad, he has to be the Toad rep, and simply because he got his own games and after all he's still a Toad. Normal Toad would have more potential for a variety of moves, unlike Captain Toad due to his limitations in gameplay, and if Toad ever got in, I'd love to see Peach use Toadsworth, it'd be a cool throwback to the good old Mario games like Mario Sunshine, and in my opinion Toadsworth fits the role Toad has in Smash better than normal Toad, but, he's old, so he might want to fight along Peach. Other possibility is the one I said in my mesh between Mario characters, being blue Toad the default skin followed by yellow Toad and then the rest of Toads, maybe excluding normal Toad by a completely red one, but who knows how he could make it in if normal Toad appeared.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
With the existence of Captain Toad, he has to be the Toad rep, and simply because he got his own games and after all he's still a Toad. Normal Toad would have more potential for a variety of moves, unlike Captain Toad due to his limitations in gameplay, and if Toad ever got in, I'd love to see Peach use Toadsworth, it'd be a cool throwback to the good old Mario games like Mario Sunshine, and in my opinion Toadsworth fits the role Toad has in Smash better than normal Toad, but, he's old, so he might want to fight along Peach. Other possibility is the one I said in my mesh between Mario characters, being blue Toad the default skin followed by yellow Toad and then the rest of Toads, maybe excluding normal Toad by a completely red one, but who knows how he could make it in if normal Toad appeared.
Yeah that makes a lot of sense. I just want him playable kek. I also wanted to bring up Toadette. If Captain Toad becomes playable (which hopefully he does), do you think Toadette will be just an alternate costume, or a full on Echo? I could see it working the Villager, Corrin, Robin, Bowser Jr. route but if they want to give her unique taunts and winning animations, she'd have to be an Echo then. I could see them go either way, honestly.

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
-Alph is extremely similar to Olimar: becomes an alt
When seeing Alph still an alt rather than an echo I definitely see Toadette becoming an alt

blazefan519

Smash Ace
-Alph is extremely similar to Olimar: becomes an alt
When seeing Alph still an alt rather than an echo I definitely see Toadette becoming an alt
That is true but the thing about about Alph and Olimar is that there wasn't enough to differentiate the two of them to warrant him becoming an Echo. He was originally going to be a clone of Olimar in Smash 4 and use Rock Pikmin, but Sakurai opted out for that. However with Toad and Toadette, their voices are completely different and so are their personalities. The whole entire reason why Dark Pit was made separate from Pit in Smash 4 because Sakurai didn't want Dark Pit to have the same taunts and winning animations as Pit because that doesn't fit his character at all. Perhaps the same could be done here?

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
That is true but the thing about about Alph and Olimar is that there wasn't enough to differentiate the two of them to warrant him becoming an Echo. He was originally going to be a clone of Olimar in Smash 4 and use Rock Pikmin, but Sakurai opted out for that. However with Toad and Toadette, their voices are completely different and so are their personalities. The whole entire reason why Dark Pit was made separate from Pit in Smash 4 because Sakurai didn't want Dark Pit to have the same taunts and winning animations as Pit because that doesn't fit his character at all. Perhaps the same could be done here?
I could see Captain Toad and Toadette using the dance they do when defeating a boss or final level, they both have the same dance, that won't have any problem, and the rest of taunts could be original or some that they share too, like them spinning and falling would be a cute little taunt.

Also I forgot completely about Dark Pit and Pit lmao, also Dr. Mario and Mario is kind of the same here.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Here is hoping that the Captain Toad ports are successful, leading to a sequel that manages to be extremely successful. I do not think he will be playable in Ultimate, but maybe in a future Smash game, he could finally have his chance, that is if CT manages to become a big Mario spinoff franchise when the time comes.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm a little curious about Peach and Daisy's Final Smash this time round. If it's Toad related I feel it could seal Toad's fate in future Smashes yet further as Peach's personal assist(and I guess Daisys).

Fingers crossed for the return of the Toad Brawler outfit at the very bare minimum for Ultimate. DLC may happen, but otherwise do what you can to support (Captain) Toad in the future too.

...also I REALLY want a Treasure Tracker sequel having finally got round to beating the Switch port. Those Odyssey levels are great, I just wish there were more of them. A bit disappointed Captain didn't take out Cookatiel himself, but guess it had to be that way else he'd have done Mario's work for him!

I'm currently refining my Captain Toad moveset but I'm also working on another character video at the moment. I'm not sure which to finish first? If I do the other character I think I'd put Captain Toad in anyway. Hell, I may put him in EVERY future animated moveset video I do. I want to hammer home he'd actually be great in the Smash community.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
I'm a little curious about Peach and Daisy's Final Smash this time round. If it's Toad related I feel it could seal Toad's fate in future Smashes yet further as Peach's personal assist(and I guess Daisys).

Fingers crossed for the return of the Toad Brawler outfit at the very bare minimum for Ultimate. DLC may happen, but otherwise do what you can to support (Captain) Toad in the future too.

...also I REALLY want a Treasure Tracker sequel having finally got round to beating the Switch port. Those Odyssey levels are great, I just wish there were more of them. A bit disappointed Captain didn't take out Cookatiel himself, but guess it had to be that way else he'd have done Mario's work for him!

I'm currently refining my Captain Toad moveset but I'm also working on another character video at the moment. I'm not sure which to finish first? If I do the other character I think I'd put Captain Toad in anyway. Hell, I may put him in EVERY future animated moveset video I do. I want to hammer home he'd actually be great in the Smash community.
I really hope it's not another Chrom situation and he's just left as a Final Smash cameo, that'd be the worst. Chrom did get his chance another day tho.

Jokes aside, I can't wait to see what else you have in store. I had always been a Toad supporter and seeing your video gave me even more reason to want him in. I think it'd be neat to have him in every video so that you spread awareness about wanting his inclusion so we can get more supporters :)

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
Wait, so am I just noticing now that you're the one that made Captain's Toad animated moveset? Man, I loved your video! I liked every single idea and that would perfectly represent Toads in Smash Bros.! You did a great job with the Captain Toad video, looking forward to your next animated movesets!

grizby2

Smash Lord
Down B: Pluck - Of course Toad would have pluck, but rather than plucking Bob-Ombs by a random chance, he could pluck an enemy, being a bit heavier than a normal turnip and slightly doing more damage.
just an added idea
they should free-roam after they're thrown, kinda like dedede's old side B. I miss waddle doos so much.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Wait, so am I just noticing now that you're the one that made Captain's Toad animated moveset? Man, I loved your video! I liked every single idea and that would perfectly represent Toads in Smash Bros.! You did a great job with the Captain Toad video, looking forward to your next animated movesets!
Thanks a lot man, yeah I'm that guy!

Much appreciation for your kind words!

Not sure if anyone got the chance but here's a video of the pixel art that replaced the pixel Luigis for a time in Odyssey. I think the event is over now and I couldn't find any in time. D'oh!

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...edit?usp=drive_web&ouid=109988290884390922635

Someone over in the main Super Smash Bros Ultimate thread did gathered some data on the polls back during Smash 4. These might not be entirely accurate but Captain Toad placed 21st overall and 12th out of the Nintendo characters. It's nice to see that he got a good bit of love.
So it looks like Sakurai isn't exactly going with the extremely popular choices, Simon Belmont, Daisy, Cloud and Chrom weren't quite popular in the polls, while Captain Toad and others were higher, this pretty much opens the doors for any other character in there or even lower.

blazefan519

Smash Ace
So it looks like Sakurai isn't exactly going with the extremely popular choices, Simon Belmont, Daisy, Cloud and Chrom weren't quite popular in the polls, while Captain Toad and others were higher, this pretty much opens the doors for any other character in there or even lower.
Yep, which means his chance as DLC is pretty high.

Ninten DS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
64-MarioyLuigi
3DS FC
2208-5212-2045
Switch FC
SW-4108-5996-9683
We could even get a blue Toad like my idea idk, but it can happen knowing all of this, but of course, Captain Toad has more possibilities due to rates.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...edit?usp=drive_web&ouid=109988290884390922635

Someone over in the main Super Smash Bros Ultimate thread did gathered some data on the polls back during Smash 4. These might not be entirely accurate but Captain Toad placed 21st overall and 12th out of the Nintendo characters. It's nice to see that he got a good bit of love.
The irony when the least popular Mario character makes it in!

Still that's interesting, Captain Toad got more votes than Ashley? I honestly wouldn't have guessed he'd place above Sora either. That's not a bad result!

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
If Toad were to be an Echo fighter of a bunch of existing Smash fighters, he'd realistically have to reflect some sort of Fire Emblem swordfighter just because there are so many of them. I propose that, to satisfy this need, we abandon all hopes of Toad/Captain Toad and Toadette and instead focus on the only Toad who could realistically mimic a swordfighter.
Toadsworth.png
In all seriousness, I would settle for Toad as a composite Echo fighter if it meant getting a playable Toad :/

Top Bottom